Chapter 1

Unexpectedly (My Perfect Girl)
"Nini, I just need to make a phone call first. Go ahead and get in line and get me the usual if I'm not done by the time you get to the counter."
 
"Okay, Noona." I replied to my noona. Why am I not surprised? She's been so busy with her work that she's always on the phone. I actually had to make an appointment with her just so we could meet up today. And even though I don't really like coffee, I agreed to meet here at a coffee shop close to her office, which I now kind of regret because this place is packed! There's hardly any available table and there's a long line for ordering.
 
(A couple of minutes later.....)
 
"YAH! I said I'm not interested!" With all the noise coming from the crowd, I almost did not hear it, but I swear that was noona's voice. I turned around and even though I can't see very clearly because I'm not wearing my prescription glasses or contacts today, I can tell that my sister is quite upset and it seems to be directed to a strange man she is talking to. I don't have a good feeling about this. Then, I see the man reaching out a hand to touch my sister. Sh*t! I'm too far away, I wont' be able to reach her on time!
 
I tried to get as fast as I can to her when suddenly, I see another man reach out a hand to stop the strange man. No, wait....this one more like a very young man, as he is even smaller built than my sister. From what I can see with my blurry vision, he seems to be wearing one of those popular matching Adidas jackets and track pants with sneakers and a cap covering his head. Pretty stylish, so perhaps a teenager?
 
"What the.....Mind your own business, squirt." The strange man said to the younger man.
 
"The lady said she is not interested. Did you not understand what that means?" I heard the boy said in a loud voice which drew the crowd's attention.
 
The other man's face turned a deep shade of red and was about to open his mouth to say something when I finally reached them.
 
"Is this guy bothering you, Noona?" I asked my sister, giving the man my most intimidating look. My sister nodded her head.
 
"You better leave right now before I make a scene here." I said to the man. He seemed to have realized that he is now out numbered and several people are now also looking curiously at him.
 
"Whatever, it's not worth it." He said and turned to leave.
 
"Are you alright, Noona?" Concerned, I asked my sister. She might be a strong, independent woman but I will not allow anyone to hurt any of my sisters. It is my duty to protect them as the only son in our family.
 
"Yes, thanks to the both of you. That man was quite persistent in trying to get my number. " She turned to the young man next to her and said, "Thank you so much for your help."
 
"Oh, it was nothing at all. I just did what anyone would have done." The young man smiled. It was the kind of genuine smile that lit up his face, making him look even more youthful and very cute. Wait....what???? Did my heart just skip a beat?? What the hell is wrong with me??  I saw my noona taken aback momentarily by the boy's smile as well but she recovered pretty quickly.
 
"Thank you for helping out my sister. You're pretty brave for confronting someone twice your size." I said after clearing my throat.
 
"Well...hahah...I didn't really think about that. I just did what I thought I should do at that time." He said almost bashfully, his cheeks turning pink.
 
My sister grabbed his hand and said, "Please, as a thank you, let us buy you a meal. Just tell us what you want and my brother will order it for you."
 
"Ah...that's not necessary. Your thanks is enough." He answered, blushing even more. He really is cute.....crap....
 
"No...please, I insist. I really want to do this for you. Just say what you want." My sister insisted and I chuckled silently. That is her specialty after all, she is stubborn as a mule. The other guy earlier didn't really stand a chance against her.
 
"Well, OK. Just a latte then and maybe a croissant?"
 
"That's it? Of course, my brother will go get it. Oh! I see a table opening up over there. Come and sit with us please." She grabbed his hand again and tried to pull him towards the table.
 
"Noona, wait." I gently grabbed her wrist to stop her.
 
"Give us a second, please." I told the young man before I pulled my sister aside.
 
"Noona, you didn't even give the poor boy a chance to refuse. What if he doesn't even want to join us?" I whispered to my sister. Reminding her that she can't always just do whatever she wants and assume that everyone's ok with it.
 
"The poor boy?.....Oh! Pffft..." Her eyes widened for a second then she snickered. I swear she's such a weirdo sometimes.
 
"It's fine, Nini. Just go get our orders." She patted my cheek before she turned around and giggled her way back to the boy. She grabbed his hand again and led him to the open table she was eyeing.
 
Getting back in line to order, I couldn't stop thinking about the weird boy. There's just something a little different about him. I wonder how old he is. His voice is husky but it doesn't seem to be deep enough to be fully developed so he must be very young. He even sounds like a girl. Now come to think of it, even though he is definitely dressed like a boy, he seems to give off a girly vibe. Ah, it really is a bother when I forget to wear my contacts or glasses. My bad vision couldn't make out his facial features very well. Ah, whatever. Some guys can be effeminate I guess, so I won't judge. He did help out my sister after all, and I am grateful for that.
 
After getting our orders, I went back to our table to find the two conversing happily. It sure seem like Noona was charmed by this boy.
 
I sat down on the table next to my sister and distributed our food and drinks.
 
"Ah by the way, Jongin...this here is Minji. And Minji, this is my sweet and adorable younger brother, Jongin. I just found out that you both are the same age!" My sister said excitedly. There's some kind of spark in her eyes that is somewhat suspicious to me.
 
Minji's hand went up to take off his hat, and boy, did I get quite a surprise! The removal of the hat freed the soft, healthy head of hair that's now revealed to be longer than I expected. Just then the door was opened by an incoming customer and brought with them a slight breeze, causing Minji's short bob to sway with the wind and the sweet floral scent coming from this person wafted into my nostrils. She IS a girl! Well, this explains a lot...So my attraction to her wasn't weird at all then.
 
Suddenly, i felt my sister slap my arm.  I must have been staring a bit too long at Minji's face and didn't notice her hand reaching out for a hand shake. Embarassed, I looked at my sister. The mirth in her eyes tells me that she found my predicament hilarious.
 
I swear I can feel my face heat up as I took Minji's hand into my own. The initial touch surprised me as I felt a tingle from my fingertips to my palms. As my hand enveloped hers, I realized that her hand is so dainty and soft...How could I have thought her a boy? Except for her outfit, everything else about her is very feminine. Now that I had a chance to study her features closer, I finally noticed her soft smooth skin and the slightly flushed cherubic cheeks. My gaze flitted to her plump red lips as she took another sip of her coffee.
 
Then I saw her her jacket and take it off, revealing the tank top she wore underneath as she commented about how the coffee made her feel warm. My eyes followed the movements of her slim but toned arms and shoulder, then to her cleavage revealed by her low cut top.....ahemm...yup, definitely a girl. I forced my eyes to look up instead of her...chest area...so I noticed the mole on her neck. I never knew a mole could look so y on anyone, but why does hers do? Suddenly I can feel my heart now beating rapidly in my chest...What is this????
 
"Hey, you're staring AND you're blushing..." Noona whispered to me and giggled. I cleared my throat.
 
"Jongin, you look flustered." My sister said out loud this time, the wide grin on her face tells me that she already knew that Minji is a girl.
 
"Minji, this is so funny...but he thought you were a boy! hahahahh!" She laughed out loud. No, more like cackled. Oh God, I'm sure my face is now bright red. My sister definitely enjoys embarrassing me.
 
Minji looked at me inquiringly and she chuckled.
 
"I...I'm really sorry. It's just that my eyesight is bad and I'm not wearing my contacts or eyeglasses.....and your clothes....so I assumed...." I tried to explain but I was so mortified that I couldn't continue and it felt like my excuse was sounding more and more pathetic the more I speak.
 
"No, it's alright. Really, don't feel bad about it. You're not the only one who had me mistaken for a boy. It's happened a few times when I'm in these kind of outfits. I don't really mind. I actually find it funny. But this style is very comfortable, you know, so I just continue to wear them often anyway." She said with a grin but I felt the sincerity in her words so it made me feel better. And it also made me feel admiration towards her because she just seem so chill. She strike me as someone who didn't really mind what others think about her.
 
"So noona mentioned that we are the same age?" I asked to change the subject, smiling shyly at her, grateful for her understanding.
 
"Ah, yeah, my birthday is on January, so I'm probably older than you. When is yours?" She asked.
 
"Really? What a coincidence. Mine is also in January. On the 14th." I replied.
 
"Ah, then you are older than me by a few days. Mine's on the 18th."
 
"This is great! It's perfect! You can call him Oppa!" My sister exclaimed.
 
"Well, it's really only a few days...." Minji reasoned, looking at me awkwardly. Her cheeks flushing pink makes her look so adorable.
 
"No, it's fine! He loves being called oppa. He was never called oppa by us since he is the youngest in our family with two older sisters, so he secretly likes it when someone calls him oppa." My sister said then winked at Minji, once again embarassing me. I swear, I believe it's her life's purpose to pretty much embarass me as much as she can.
 
"Noona, stop...." I groaned. Can I just kick her out so I can have some normal conversation with Minji?
 
Minji just looked at me with amusement in her eyes. "So you're the maknae in your family? I am too...." She confessed.
 
"Wahh!! This is interesting! By any chance, do you like dogs?" My sister asked, even more excitedly this time.
 
Minji chuckled and said, "Yes, I do. I actually have one that I love so much. Her name is Dougie."
 
"Oh? What kind of dog is she?" I asked this time because, well, I just love puppies.
 
"She's a toy poodle. I think they are most adorable dogs ever and I'm sure you'll say I'm biased but in my opinion, mine is the most adorable of them all." Minji replied with a bright smile, her affection for her dog is written all over face. But Minji......I think YOU are the most adorable.
 
"Oh, reeeaaally? We have three toy poodles as well and Jongin just adores them. I'm sure he'll disagree with you and say that his dogs are the most adorable of them all! Hahahah!" My sister teasingly replied to her but was looking at me with her raised eyebrows and a knowing smile. I can already see the wheels turning in her head and I realized where she is going with this. She is definitely thinking of setting me and Minji up.....And I didn't mind at all. We both love dogs! It's really interesting how Minji and I seem to already have a lot in common.
 
"We'll have to see about that! Hahah! But really, though? You have three? I'm so jealous! I'd like to have more but my mom said she could only handle one dog. She complains that we're busy enough as it is with our dance studio business." Minji said and my ears totally perked up when she mentioned dance studio.
 
"No way! Get out of town! Are you a dancer too??" Noona said a little too excitedly, slamming her hand on the table. Oh jeez...
 
"What..??" Minji whispered, surprised and confused at the sudden outburst.
 
"Sorry about that....she just got a little excited because I'm also a dancer. Well... I'm trained in ballet but these recent years I've really been into hiphop so I'm training on that as well." I explained to Minji.
 
"Wow! Really? I dance hiphop as well. It's actually my passion and I want to spread the love for it so I teach hiphop class to kids in the afternoons. Start them young while they're still impressionable, you know. You should come to my studio, even just to check it out. And maybe have a dance battle with me?? Hahaha!"
 
"I...I'd like that..." I replied, momentarily flustered. I couldn't help the blush creeping up my face. Her face took on an ethereal look when she started talking about her passion for dancing. That, combined with the sound of her rich laughter and her bold challenge were doing strange things to my heart. Oh how I really want to see her dance!
 
Then suddenly, I felt my sister grab my hand.
 
"Jongin-ah....I think...I think we've found the female version of you..." She said to me seriously. If it wasn't for the sincere look in her eyes, I would have laughed at her dramatic proclamation.
 
She then turned to Minji and grabbed her hand. "Minji, you will probably think it's creepy but I think it's really incredible how you two have so much in common. I hope you're not weirded out by this."
 
Minji chuckled at this. "Not at all. I actually think it's really awesome to meet someone whom I have a lot in common with. I think we'll get along fine!" She smiled genuinely to both my sister and I. Wahh, she's such a cool girl. I've never met a girl quite like her. With each passing moment my fascination for her intensifies. I want to know everything about her, find out if there's anymore we have in common. Does she like to read books like I do? Does she like to read manga or watch anime like I do? Collect figures like I do? Since she's passionate about dance, I hope she admires Michael Jackson like I do...(A/N: YESSS...she does like all of those too, Kai!!!)
 
"Excuse me for a sec." She said as her phone started ringing to a Michael Jackson song. Well, that answers one of my questions. "Oh, Omma...Yeah, I'm just taking a coffee break......Right now?? Ok, ok....I'll be right there." She replied to the other line.
 
"That was my mom. The parents of one of my dance students wanted to meet with me at the studio and they are already waiting for me there. I'm sorry but I have to go for now...." She said as she gathered her things.
 
Then she turned to me.
 
"Ah, thank you for the coffee treat by the way. Here's my business card with my studio's phone and address." She said to me while she handed me her card. I eagerly took it but I also felt disappointed that my short time with her is already coming to an end.
 
"It's actually just around the block. I hope you can come visit me sometime...Oppa...." She said the last part teasingly. I smiled like an idiot at this, really loving the way she called me oppa. I didn't even mind that my sister is giggling at the stupid expression on my face.
 
"Unnie, I come here a lot so I hope to see you around." She said to my sister.
 
"I hate to see you go, Minji. Let's make sure to meet again soon and I'll make sure Jongin visits your studio!" Noona replied to her. 
 
After saying our goodbyes, I watched Minji as she disappeared from my sight. Already, I couldn't wait for the next time I can see her again.
 
"Weeeellll, wasn't that the most interesting thing, huh Nini???" My sister said while elbowing my rib, disrupting my pleasant thoughts of Minji. I can only roll my eyes at her because I know how much non-stop teasing I would get if I told her right away that I already liked Minji.
 
"Honestly, if you don't ask her out, I will NEVERRRR talk to you EVERRR again!" She continued dramatically.
 
"Just mind your own love life, Noona." I replied to her, silently chuckling.
 
"Yah! My love life is just fine, thank you very much! But you'd be the stupidest person in the world if you just let her go and never speak to her again!"
 
"Noona, just leave me alone." I said to her, purposely avoiding to give her any confirmation.
 
But like I said before, my noona is very stubborn and persistent. She kept bugging me about Minji up until dinner with the rest of the family that night. Of course my mom and other sister joined her and I ended up promising them to ask Minji out to pacify them. Not that I was forced to of course, I couldn't get Minji out of my head so there's no way I would have let her get away.
 
 
***************************
 
"Yo! You don't look like a creepy stalker at all..." A very sarcastic voice interrupted my daydreaming. I pulled my gaze away from the window and turned to see my best friend Sehun sit himself on the chair next to me.
 
"Sehunnie, how did you know I'm here?" I asked him, a bit surprised to see him here.
 
"Why are you surprised by it? These days there are only a few places I can find you in; either in class, your part time work, dance practice, home or here. Since you were done with today's classes, and we didn't have dance practice today and you're off from work, I figured you were here when you stopped responding to my chat messages. I was in the area so I thought I'd stop by to confirm my suspicions."
 
"Well, aren't you a genius? Did you want a cookie for that or did you come here to annoy me?" I smirked at him.
 
"No, I don't want a cookie, but you can buy my bubble tea drink. Damn dude! You've been stalking her like a love sick puppy for almost two weeks now. It's seriously getting creepy how you just sit here and watch her from the windows of a bubble tea shop right across from her studio. Why don't you just go over there and talk to her? You only need to cross the street...like literally!" Sehun said to me bluntly.
 
"You make me sound like a desperate stalker. I don't even come here everyday as I've been busy, only when I have extra time." I replied to him, a bit offended but I know he's right. I initially planned to visit Minji's studio a couple of days after meeting her but I chickened out when I saw her from the street entering the studio. It seems she had just arrived from somewhere else but what surprised me was that she wasn't dressed the same as when we first met. Instead, she was wearing a y tight fitting dress and other obviously feminine accessories which made her look even more stunning. She took my breath away that I was frozen in the spot and I was unable to follow her into the studio. I was not in a condition where I could confidently talk to her so I ended up going to this bubble tea shop that is directly across from her studio. Since then, I have been unable to find the courage to approach her properly, and so I ended up coming in this place where I discovered the perfect spot to observe her from afar.
 
"It's still creepy...." Sehun said, interrupting my thoughts and voicing out what I know in my mind is the truth. "Just go talk to her. You're obviously smitten with her, so what's holding you back?" he continued.

"Look, I'm not like you who can easily approach and ask a girl out. I need time.....to build courage." The last part was a bit hard for me to admit.
 
"Dude, what are you even talking about? Girls throw themselves at you. And it's not like you haven't been on dates, in fact you've dated plenty of times, though it's been a long while since your last one."
 
"Yes, exactly. They throw themselves at me so it's usually them who asks me out. Then I just go with the flow if I'm interested in the girl. So I very rarely take the initiative to ask a girl out. But Minji......she's very different. Even though I know she felt the attraction between us, she didn't even flirt with me. She just remained cool the whole time. And because of that, I'm very nervous about approaching her. What if she's not even interested? Or worse, she already has a boyfriend?" I spilled what's been bothering me to my best friend. He might be sassy a lot of times, but I know I can always depend on him to help me work out my problems.
 
"Look, there's really no point in sitting here and thinking about it. It's only going to make you more nervous. Why don't you go and just talk to her. You don't even need to ask her out right away. Just try to be friends first and get to know her more. No pressure, right?" He said to me sincerely.
 
"Well, if you put it that way I guess you're right, Sehunnie. I've been so caught up in my thoughts of asking her out, I didn't even consider starting out as just friends first. That's really the best way to go about it, right? Thanks man, that makes me feel better!" I agreed with him. Yes, this guy is a brat more often than not but sometimes he surprises me with some mature insight.
 
"Well, duh! I can't believe you've been unnecessarily tormenting yourself with this, when the solution is so easy." He rolled his eyes at me. Oh yes, he is definitely a brat. "Anyway, you don't need to worry, man. She won't be able to resist your innate charm. That's what all the girls say about us you know." He continued with a smirk. 
 
I stood up, grabbed some cash from my wallet and handed it to him as I chuckled from his remark. "Thanks for the pep talk, man. Here, buy yourself some bubble tea." I squeezed his shoulder to show my appreciation.
 
"Yehet!!" The brat exclaimed with a wide grin as he counted the cash with no shame at all. "Good luck, bro! Fighting!" He cheered as I made my way to the exit door.
 
The heavy pounding of my chest is in sync with the movement of my feet as I cross the street. My nerves are wrecked and my palms are sweaty. I don't remember ever being this nervous, not even when I have to dance in front of a big crowd. But I can't chicken out again this time or else Sehun will never let me live it down. Besides, I don't want to waste any more time when it comes to Minji. I'm desperate to see her up close and hear her voice again. I want to spend time with her and get to know her better.
 
As I open the door to her family's dance studio, I was greeted by who I believe to be her older sister.
 
"Good afternoon! What can I do for you?" She said with a welcoming smile.
 
"I...uh....I'm..I'm here to see Minji. That is, if she's....if she's not busy...." I stuttered as I rubbed the back of my neck in an effort to calm my nerves.
 
"Oh! Our Minji?" She asked, a bit surprised. "Oh, of course! She's in the back. Let me go get her for you." She continued with a bright smile.
 
"Minji-yah! Come out here! You have a guest." She called out as she disappeared to the door that leads to the back which I assume is where the rest of the studio is. The front lobby is the only part that I'm familiar with as it's the only part that is visible from the streets due to the huge glass windows in the front. It's where I often catch a glimpse of Minji when she hangs out here to watch TV or sit by her computer or chatting with her family and staff or students that go in and out of dance classes.
 
My heart skipped a beat as I heard a faint "Who is it?". I swear, I feel like a teenage boy again having his first crush. Minji just seem to have that kind of exhilarating effect on me. I took a what seems like my hundredth deep breath since I walked over here to calm the flutters in my chest.
 
"Omo! I got too excited that a very handsome man is asking to see my baby sister I totally forgot to ask for his name!" I heard her sister say in a teasing voice.
 
I suddenly feel awkward standing here while listening to them from behind the walls. I hope they don't realize I can hear them....
 
"Typical. You always loose your head whenever you see handsome men." Minji playfully scolded.
 
"Yah! I do not! Besides, this is YOUR handsome man. I was too excited for you! But I'm a bit hurt. You had a connection with a handsome young man and never told me about him?! " She answered with a giggle. I can just imagine Minji rolling her eyes at this. It seems we both have meddling, mischievous older sisters.
 
"I don't even know who it is. And what connection are you even talking about?"
 
"Duh! Obviously, you and him connected if he took the time to come here to see you."
 
"You're getting way ahead of yourself, unnie. Let's find out first who it is." Minji answered.
 
"Wait! You're not going out there looking like that, are you??? Here, take your jacket off." Her sister said as I heard a zipper being ped.
 
"Unnie! I can't go out there in my sports bra!" Minji protested. Oh gosh, please Minji, don't come out in your sports bra....I don't think I can handle it....
 
"Oh fine, fine! Put the jacket back on! Here put some lipstick on first. I really don't understand why you're always wearing these hideous track suits. They hide your amazing body." Upon hearing the last bit, the image of Minji in that tight fitting dress when I saw her that day I first tried to visit her, flashed in my mind. She wasn't even showing much skin as it was long sleeved and the long length of the dress covered her thighs all the way down to the top of her knees. But it was skin tight on her and damn, it hugged her curves in all the right places. It accentuated her tiny waist and shapely hips and glorious...umm...behind. She really does have the perfect amazing body. God, now I really need to calm myself down.
 
"I told you, I wear them because they're the most comfortable clothes when I'm dancing. Are you done with your ministrations yet? The poor guy has been waiting." She asked and then I heard her footsteps coming towards me.
 
I didn't think I was ready to talk to her again but my trepidation dissolved as soon as I caught a glimpse of her surprised face. But a breathless "Jongin...." escaped from her lips and then she gave me the sweetest smile that lit her entire face. My knees almost gave out and I'm having heart palpitations again....Minji, what in the world are you doing to me??
 
"Hello Minji." I said softly and smiled to this beautiful girl I met unexpectedly. This girl who has so much in common with me that it is almost freaky. But if you were the type to believe in it, perhaps we can call our meeting and our similarities serendipity or fate.  Maybe we have so much in common because God made us for each other. At least I'd like to think of it that way.
 
But one thing I know for sure is that I've finally found her....the one who seems to be perfectly suited for me...The one who is like a gift from God...My perfect girl....
 
---- The End -----
 
***********
I really hope you enjoyed this! Kaiminzy is my OTP because I think they are perfect for each other! This story kind of touched upon the many similarities they have. I just wish that they'd realize it themselves and get married already....hahah!