And so it begins

Serenity

Jimin isn't too sure what love feels like. He knows that he probably has felt it before but never in the classical sense. It's always been described as "butterflies in your stomach" type of happiness, you're nervous yet giddy all the time, your face glows bright red around them and your palms begin to sweat, you find that you're unable to take that special someone off your mind. He supposes that last one to be true though, as he's been unable to get a certain raven haired teen off of his mind for the past couple of months. He knows that he's certainly never had butterflies around Jungkook and he wouldn't really classify his elation for the other's prescence when he shows up to work in the morning as "giddiness" but it could be close enough. He knows that he cannot stop the words tumbling out of his face around the younger male so he's had his fair share of red faces and sweaty palms. Furrowing his brow, Jimin pouts. Is this love? Leaning back in his chair, Jimin gazes at the clock on his desk but doesn't register the numbers on its face as he contemplates his friendship with the tall, awkward male he met not too long ago.


They had met on their own accord at work. Jimin was the newbie in a building full of those who were already settled into their routines; he was one of the first new hires they had in months. The people in the small warehouse were friendly because the days were long and tedious without companionship but none were really willing to invest much time into Jimin's existence other than to answer questions here and there. Jimin was a social butterfly by nature, and left out was quite unnerving, making Jimin frazzled almost all of the time. The male didn't like being excluded, it made him feel more anxious than he normally was. Jimin really didn't do well under the pressure his anxiety gave him.

On an ordinary day about eight months ago, a frazzled Jimin was carrying one box too many for his already short frame. No one was answering his questions about what boxes go where so he was aimlessly wondering around the building holding boxes filled to the brim with paper and other assorted pieces of junk his boss wanted to move. Already uncoordinated by nature, Jimin managed to trip over his own two feet, sending the cardboard death traps toppling over. Letting out a very unattractive screech in surprise, the short male pulled himself together after sitting rather dazedly on the floor for a moment. Jimin was hustling, trying to gather all of the materials that scattered themselves all over the dirty warehouse floor. The once prestine papers were now coated in dirt and questionable amounts of dust and Jimin was sure that his boss, Seokjin, would not be pleased with their condition.

Standing up, Jimin looked around to make sure he had grabbed everything only to notice a few pieces of paper next to a tattered pair of sneakers. Putting on his best smile and passing a hand through his hair in an attempt to play off his obviously embarassing fall, hoping that they somehow managed to miss his rather graceless spill. Jimin quietly asked the person, who he now sees as a male, to hand him his papers. Making eye contact with the boy who seemed to be around his age with hair slightly too long to look good and a stiff facial expression, the boy robotically bent down to grab for the afforementioned papers before quickly shoving them at Jimin's face and scurrying off just as quietly as he had come. Huffing, Jimin watches the boy retreat in mild distaste. He thought that the boy rather rude to just throw the papers at him like that. Sniffing himself just to make sure, Jimin assesses that he doesn't smell at all (he smells rather pleasant, actually) so why wouldn't the boy just take the few steps it took to just hand him the papers? Deciding to drop the subject before getting annoyed, Jimin dusts himself off, collects his boxes, and goes about his business.

The next time they interact is close to two months later. Jimin had managed to talk his older brother, Namjoon, into working with him to "save gas on carpooling" and this is one of the rare days where usually energetic Namjoon was too lazy to roll out of bed, leaving Jimin to fend for himself in the work place. The day had been fine to begin with but the talkative boy was having trouble sitting by himself on breaks. Despite being there for three months already, Jimin still hadn't mustered up the courage to throw himself into making friends at work so his last resort was the phone he was tightly clutching. No one was texting him back and the wi-fi was awful and wouldn't connect. Pouting his way through his sandwich, Jimin is startled to notice a rather tall figure standing next to his table. Craning his neck upward, Jimin is met with the face of the same boy who threw papers at him a few months ago. "The rude one", as Jimin calls him because he doesn't know his name, is awkwardly staring down at Jimin before doing his best attempt at a smile. Jimin notes that he's actually kind of cute when he smiles.

"You don't have to sit by yourself, ya know. You can come sit with me," gently tapping the table with his knuckles for no reason other than to end his sentence, the tall male quickly walks back to where he usually sits in the break room.

Jimin takes a moment to consider the offer before cautiously making his way over to where the boy and his friends usually sit. Phone clutched in one hand and his other picking at the lint on his pants, Jimin shyly glances down at his lap. He is very pleased that this boy was nice enough to invite him over but Jimin is so bad at getting to know people that he literally doesn't know what to do with himself. Cursing his social anxiety once more, Jimin bites his lip before glancing up at the man in front of him. The other looks just as lost as Jimin feels and he also looks genuinely surprised that the other actually sat down in front of him. Glancing to his left, Jimin makes eye contact with a young looking man who is happily munching on his food and looking between the two as if he was expecting something amazing to happen.

"Hi! I'm Taehyung! What are you doing over here? You normally sit over there," swinging his hand in the general direction the table intruder came from, he blinks at Jimin before smiling.

"Uh, yeah. Namjoon didn't come in today so I was by myself and then he invited me over... Was this seat taken?" Anxiety has gotten the best of him yet again and Jimin had spoke so fast it took both boys a moment to understand what the tiny male had said.

"No, I was just curious," switching his gaze back to the youngest male, Taehyung furrows his brows, "Why did you invite him over here? You never do that."

Looking like a deer caught in headlights, the long haired boy swallows his bite of food before awkwardly glancing at the two before him then looking back down and shrugging, "I don't know... He just looked sad over there by himself and I didn't like it so I invited him over here. I didn't want him to be sad."

Jimin found himself to be somewhat surprised yet pleased with this response. He doesn't know how long the taller one has been watching him to see that Jimin was, indeed, sad about being left by himself but Jimin supposes that he doesn't really care. He just knows that someone cared enough to reach out to him and that's all that really matters at the moment. Glancing over, he can't help but quirk a brow at the rather sly expression on Taehyung's face. Eyebrows raised and a small smirk blooming on his handsome face, Taehyung doesn't say a word but it's clear by the way he's staring the awkward boy down that he's not dropping the subject just yet.

The awkward male just shifts uncomfortably in his seat before turning his attention back to the petite male he invited to the table, "My name is Jungkook, by the way. In case you didn't know."

"Ah, it's nice to meet you! Thank you for inviting me over here, it means a lot to me. Oh, and my name is Jimin," bowing slightly in his seat, the orange haired male mentally curses himself for almost forgetting his manners. His mama raised him better than that!

Nodding slowly, the tall boy, Jungkook, looks around before clearing his throat, "So, uh... who's that guy you normally sit with? Namjoon, you said?"

"My older brother. Why?" Jimin answers, curious as to why Jungkook suddenly brought him up.

Shrugging, Jungkook avoids eye contact, "I was just curious. You two are almost never apart so I assumed you were a thing."

Jimin can't help but giggle softly, "Now I know that we don't really look alike but, dating? As if! I'm single."

Jungkook quickly glances at Jimin and raises his eyebrows as if to say "is that so?" but the look is gone almost as quickly as it came as the time for break has ended and everyone is getting up to go back to work. If he were being honest, Jimin would admit that he was disappointed at having to go back to work so soon. The day didn't end for another four hours and he doesn't know how he'll be able to last through the last break by himself again. He was sure that this was a one time thing out of courtesy and Jimin doesn't want to push his luck by asking if he can sit with the two boys again.

Shuffling out of his seat rather slowly, he squeaks as he comes face to chest with Jungkook. The tall male blinks down at him owlishly before awkwardly taking a half step backwards so Jimin can begin his mantra of apologies. Raising his hand as if to dismiss the words tumbling out of Jimin's face, Jungkook smiles slightly at him before letting him know that Jimin "can definitely sit with him again whenever he wants. Well... if he wants to," before hurriedly side stepping passed the boy who was still processing the rushed words.

Oh, Jimin thinks as he watches the tall boy's back as he retreats. He's actually really nice.... and kinda cute.

 


Author's Note:

So, I decided to try to break this up a little and make it chaptered instead of a one shot. I know it's going to be kind of slow to build and odd but these are real stories that come from my real life with a male friend of mine so I'm trying to remember everything correctly and get the sequences in the right order. I'm also just going to update as stuff happens so stay tuned for more!