Chapter 1

Transfer Student

Let’s be clear here, you didn’t absolutely hate the boy standing in the front of the room, smiling widely as he was being introduced. This just wasn’t the first time you’ve seen him, actually that was this morning when you were running late to your first period class. You were running through the halls trying to make it to class before the bell rang and as you made the final turn you crashed into a tall body, the force of the impact sent you to the ground. Normally you wouldn’t care but the voice above of course had something to say.

“Watch where you’re going.” You looked at the person standing above you. If the situation was different, maybe you would have said that he was beautiful, because you would be lying to yourself if you said otherwise. He had long red hair that was tied in a ponytail, and small wire rimmed glasses. You definitely saw that he was a bit overdressed for a normal day of school. But for now you couldn’t look past his glare that he was sporting. You got up. rolling your eyes as you did, and pushed past him to reach your class while muttering an apology. You could hear his his muttering about how stupid someone must be to run into someone and fall.

Because of your small interruption you were now late to your class, angrily grabbing a detention slip off of the table in front and head to your seat to fill it out. Five minutes into the period you feel a poke on your back and you turn to see one of your good friends, Soonyoung, he was a senior same as you. You’ve known each other since freshman year algebra class when him and his band of friends may have made the class hell for every substitute that came in. You both spent the rest of the class trying to figure out the precalc packet within the time allotted.

But back to this class, your 5th period physics class, staring at this boy standing before you. He name was said, you are sure of that, but you didn’t catch it at all. In your lab group there was a group of friends mummering some stuff about the lab work that was handed back. You turned your attention to the group, noticing how Jisoo, another senior, was going over some calculations, Soonyoung was simply explaining what went wrong to Chan, one of the few juniors who thought it was a good idea to take advanced classes. You tuned into the explanation of how the wrong equation was used to derive the one that was used and suddenly you remember how much of a pain the lab was to do. You looked to Jisoo’s paper filled with variables and equations, that was easier to follow than Soonyoung’s quick talking.

After everyone was on the same page and you were all talking about random things Soonyoung brings up the new kid, “Isn’t that the kid you were talking about in precalc?”

You look over to the boy now sitting across the room from you, getting caught up with his lab group, “Yeah, he’s the one who made me late and then was an about it,” you mutter, unknowingly starting to glare at him. The boy looks up from his paper and makes eye contact with you and the same scowl he had in the morning was back, he eyes narrowing as he realized who you were.

“No need to stare him to death,” Jisoo says slinging an arm around your shoulders.

You break eye contact with the boy and push off Jisoo’s arm. The teacher, Ms. Decaro, calls everyone’s attention to the front of the class with the final announcement of the test on Friday before the bell rings. As you gather your notebook and pencil and shove them into your backpack Ms. Decaro calls you and the new kid to her desk.

“Y/N, you seem to be doing well in this class and you get along with most of the people in this class,” she starts, and you can immediately tell where this was going, “Would you be willing to help out Jeonghan here with the test we have Friday?”

She doesn’t look up from the papers that she’s looking through, and not wanting to be rude you quietly say, “Yeah sure.”

Jeonghan just stands next to you and nods when Ms. Decaro looks at him. He flashes a quick smile to her before you both turn around to leave the classroom. As soon as the door closes behind you both you say, “I’m not tutoring you.”

“As if I need it anyway,” he responds walking past you. You glare at the back of his head, how can someone you just met this morning be so infuriating. You make your way to your locker since it was your lunch period now. Once you got to your locker you switched out some books and grabbed your small lunch box. You headed to your normal lunch table towards the end of the cafeteria, it was already occupied with the normal crowd and a few strays you were almost certain had class this period. All the chairs around the table had backpacks on them except for 3 which people were actually sitting in.

“Mingyu we all know that you want to spend as much time with Wonwoo as you can but you can’t just keep blowing off Lit,” you utter out as soon as you see that there are no more empty seats at the table. Mingyu is a junior that has been hard core crushing on Wonwoo since Wonwoo was a sophomore.

Wonwoo’s face turns red and Mingyu just laughs as he stands up, “According to this pass I’m at a yearbook photo.” He pulls out a small slip of paper, and waves it in front of you. You playfully roll your eyes and tell him to go to class to which he does but not without winking back at Wonwoo as he does so. You take Mingyu’s spot across from Wonwoo and sit down.

“When will you just date the poor boy?” Soonyoung asks, “He’s practically been worshiping you for 2 years now.”Wonwoo just ignores the comment and just continues eating and doing a worksheet of what looks like Anatomy work. You knew that Wonwoo liked the boy back, hell you were the first one Wonwoo told about it. You just didn’t push him to do anything about it. And for that he was appreciative to you

“Hey guys where’s Jihoon?” Chan asks as he approaches the table with a tray of school lunch. “There’s a music theory test today and I need him to explain stuff to me.” He is followed by Minghao who is also carrying the same grey tray.

“Isn’t he doing his senior project?” you say as you take a bite of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, “I’m pretty sure he’s a TA for the music theory teacher.”

At your word Chan’s face pales, “No, that means he’s making the test doesn’t it.”

There a sympathetic nod throughout the table and Minghao pat’s Chan shoulder, “Don’t worry we will all plan your funeral when your parents find out you’re failing music theory.”

“You’re not helping here,” Chan says as he scrambles to find his book in his backpack.

"Hey everyone I brought a new kid from my art class," a loud voice says from behind you, you immediately place the voice as Seungkwan. You turn to face him and see that the new kid is Jeonghan.

"Oh it's you," he says as he makes eye contact with you.

"So I see that you have met Y/N,"

Seungkwan says as he sits down in the seat that previously held his backpack.

"If you call her running into me and falling on the ground, meeting then yeah I have," Jeonghan says as he brings up a seat in between Seungkwan and Minghao.

"I was late to class because of you so I think I have more of a right to be angry at you," you retort.

"Okay okay, before World War III breaks out here let's all just pretend like we've never seen each other before," Minghao tries to reason, "Hi, I'm Minghao, a junior."

"I'm Soonyoung, I'm a senior, we have physics together." He then points to Wonwoo, "That’s Wonwoo, he's a senior, he's not much of a talker unless your name is Kim Mingyu." That comment earns Soonyoung a hard smack to the arm from the dark haired boy.

Soonyoung then turns to Chan, "that's Chan, he's a junior, he's talking advanced classes so he's also in our physics class." Chan waves slightly but is more focused on the book in front of him to truly care about the new boy at the table.

"And she is Y/N," Soonyoung points to you, "She's a senior, one of the smartest people I know."

Jeonghan scoffs at the remark and you just grip on to you sandwich. "You can scoff all you want but it's true, we are all convinced that she single handedly dragged me to pass Trig last year," Soonyoung defends.

"That was a miracle sure enough," Seungkwan chuckles.

"So what's your name?" Minghao asks.

"Jeonghan, I'm a senior, I just transferred here today," he replies calmly.

The rest of the lunch period goes by quickly enough to with chan and Wonwoo studying and you and Soonyoung going over the physics lab again, since there was more wrong that he didn’t understand. Seungkwan talks to Jeonghan about the school and the various things that go on. Occasionally Minghao chimes in with advice and comments, but for the most part he helps Chan study. As soon as the bell rings you start to pack up your things and pick up the garbage on the table.

“Y/N, do you want to walk with me to Law?” Minhao asks.

“I gotta wait for Jihoon, he’s been bugging me me about the aux cord I borrowed last week,” you respond, “Or better yet, Chan could you give Jihoon the cord?” You turn to Chan and pull out the cord, “You’re going to see him during music theory anyway.”

“Yeah sure just try and convince him to lose my test that’s my only condition,”

“I don’t think that’s gonna happen but I’ll see what I can do,” you reply and start walking to your next class with Minghao.

You both arrive to class just before the bell ring since you both decided a stop at the vending machines was a good idea for a snack. You look at the teacher’s desk and see the new smirk that is becoming way too familiar for you comfort. “Okay everyone take your seat we are starting a new chapter today and we are also introducing a new student, Mr. Yoon Jeonghan. You can take a seat wherever you would like.”

Looking around there is only one empty seat next to you. Jeonghan takes the seat next to you and takes out a laptop to take notes with. As the class goes on you can’t help but to glance at him from time to time, the sound of typing catching your attention more than once. When the class is over and you are waiting at the front of the room for Minghao, Jeonghan passes by you with a smirk, “Next time you want to stare take a picture it will last longer.” He chuckles and walks out of the class as Minghao walks up next to you.

“I take back everything, I hate him.”