Longing

Catching Sparks

-

" Chanwoo-ah! " The cashier guy, Kim Hanbin called out to his tall co-worker who was busy wiping mugs and mason jars. The tall young man almost got startled at Hanbin's calling, he gripped on tightly on the mug as if his life depended on it. Which is true. God knows how Hanbin would react if ever glasswares would break and scatter around the floor. It would be hell.

 

" Yes, hyung? Am I doing anything wrong? " The younger one immediately questioned nervously, looking at his workspace to see if everything is in place.

 

" Would you remind me of my breaks next time? I really got a bit carried away a while ago, but thanks again for filling up for me! You're always reliable. " Chanwoo felt the nervousness and fear crawl away from him as he heard his co-worker's words. It was almost surprising to him, as Hanbin would often reprimand him about the things he should and shouldn't do. ' Hyung is in a good mood, I guess? ' He thought.

 

" It's no big deal, Hanbin-hyung. I just didn't want to in with your conversations because you really seem like you're having fun. " He set down the mug, placing it nearly on the cabinet. Hanbin smiled a bit and shook his head. " You deserve to have fun like that too, hyung. Life isn't supposed to revolve around work. " Chanwoo added.

 

Having been working for nearly two years already, work has transformed into Hanbin's main focus. He stopped going to school as he believes it wasn't were he should be. Hanbin had a dream and he figured out he wouldn't reach it if he just stayed in school, doing maths and whatnot. For him, it was unnecessary for his dream. Music. Music is what Hanbin wants to work with. A special school made for aspiring musicians, that's where Hanbin wants to be, but he couldn't. His family isn't well off, he has a younger sister and a dad who always faces the need to find a new job every four months. That's why Hanbin decided he should work and fund for his dream. Aside from being a cashierguy-slash-barrista in a cafe, Hanbin does part time works like translating english texts to korean, delivering newspapers during weekend mornings. Anything that could make him earn plentiful. That also explains Hanbin seriousness when it comes to work. Serious until all he does is work continously, forgetting to enjoy his days of youth.

 

" I guess you're right. " Hanbin took a deep breath, closed his eyes before exhaling out. Deep inside him is a person who just wants to drop everything and be free without having anything to worry about. He knows he can't but for now he's just grateful that he had a carefree time talking with a person he just met. He felt an unexplainable sensation inside that made him start up a conversation with the stranger. A longing for new friendship, perhaps? Hanbin has no idea, but it made him feel warmth in the corners of her almost frozen heart.

 

8pm. His shift finally ended. Hanbin took care of a few cleaning and left his co-worker, Chanwoo, the rest of the work. He made his way home, humming to himself some happy song with hopes of something he would like to keep secret to himself.

 

 

  Two weeks after.

 

Jiwon, coming from his university, arrived in his small apartment. Instead of a cozy home to welcome him, scattered clothes, pizza boxes and empty soda cans are what greets him. He doesn't care though. What's important to him was that he would still have space to sit on his sofa and a portion to sleep on his wide bed.

 

It was always like this. Well, not really always but Jiwon's independent and alone life started when he entered university. Jiwon is a family oriented person, he loves his family most especially his mom and a day without her would get Jiwon very lonely. His adjustment wasn't easy, it almost took him a year. His parting with his family was sad,he hugged his mom tightly tears falling from the sides of his eyes never wanting to let go. But he did. He needed to. The university Jiwon was going to was his dream school and he was lucky that he was personally asked by a respected professor from that college to enroll in their program. Jiwon had potential, the professor said. Indeed he does. Jiwon had a talent in music. He knows how to play a guitar, he sings pretty well and raps exceptionally good. It was an opportunity he didn't get second thoughts to grab. Despite the separation, Jiwon is now well adjusted as he found a lot of friends in his University, one being his closest, Jinhwan.

 

Jiwon took himself to the living room  with a troubled expression, kicking aside the trash blocking his footsteps before throwing himself on his sofa.

 

" Let's see what's tonight show is about. " He got the remote control beside him, blowing off some cheetos residue on it and opened the tv. He scanned through all the channels and stopped at his favorite one. A reported of some sort appeared holding a small rag bag of what seems to be a bag of coffee beans. A man who brewed his life to success. That was the title of the show. Jiwon slid himself down the sofa until he was laying down, hugging a pillow. Jiwon never really liked coffee, the show is a documentary and of course it was boring for him though he found himself sticking to that channel, hoping it would end soon so he'd watch his favorite variety show. 

 

" Coffee. Coffee beans. Brewing. " He murmured to himself, his eyes falling heavier every second. Jiwon is tired and sleepy.

 

" Brewing. Aroma. Cafe. " Eyes falling down gently, but trying hard to still get a glimpse of the television.

 

" Cafe. Barristas. Kim Hanbin--- " With that, Jiwon shot up from the sofa with his eyes wider than ever. He immediately got the remote control and turned off the television, unable to believe himself. He sat there looking more troubled than he already was before with his hand gripping to his head.

 

 

' Out of everyone you could think of and out of all the cute barrista-noonas you've met, why does it have to be him!? ' He knocked on his head plenty of times as if he was so done with it. But he really was. Ever since that day in the cafe, Jiwon found himself thinking about the same person. It started on his train ride home. It was the first time and he wished it was the last time but his head said ' No, you're going to think of him every day because I said so. ' Hopefully, that was the case but Jiwon is stuck in confusion. For whatever reason it is, the image of how the cashier guy chuckled and how a shallow dimple appear on his cheek when he smiles kept popping into his poor head.

 

But maybe he just needed a friend to talk to. With that, Jiwon got his phone and went to his kakaotalk, clicking on his close friend's icon.

 

 

[10:28] kingbob  : Hyung. I have a question!
Hyung!
Hyung!

[10:29] kjinani  : What is it, Jiwon?

[10:29] kingbob  :  What do you normally do if you can't stop thinking of something?

[10:30] kjinani  : Well, I usually distract myself with other things like reading a book, exercising and things like that.

[10:30] kingbob  : What if it's a person?

[10:32] kjinani  : Wait up, jiwon--  am i thinking what i think it is? kkk

[10:32] kingbob  : What is it hyung?

[10:32] kjinani  :   Our Jiwon finally got his eyes on someone? kkk

[10:33] kingbob  : No hyung, don't joke around!

[10:36] kjinani  :  Eh...When I continuously think of someone like my mom, normally that's my indicator when I want to see her again. Maybe you'd want to have a talk with that person again? 

[10:37] kingbob  : And after that it stops?

[10:39] kjinani  :   Usually, yes.

[10:39] kingbob  : Thanks hyung, I should've told you sooner!

[10:40] kjinani  :  Anything for a friend inlove ;D

[10:41] kingbob  : Whatever, midget! I'm going now! :P

[10:40] kjinani  :  u rood to your hyung, bunny face. Bye!

 

Jiwon felt relief. He locked his phone and threw it wherever.  It was already very late, he then decided to take a quick warm bath to wash away to freshen up before laying down his messy bed. He had his arms bent up, with his head laying on it comfortably. His eyes were glued to the ceiling, sinking down into his thoughts again. He repeated his conversation with Jinhwan in his head. ' If I see him again, the thoughts will stop right? ' He questioned himself with a raised eyebrows. He dwelled on it for a good five minutes before he decided that it was something he'll do tomorrow.

 

Jiwon pulled a blanket up on him and drifted to dreamland.

 


The next morning.

 

Jiwon stood on the platform, waiting for the 6am train to arrive. It was very early for school but he had business to do. The train arrived in front of him almost empty. Jiwon sat down and enjoyed the rest of the ride, staring outside the window waiting for his stop. As he heard a woman's recorded announcement, Jiwon immediately stood up. He adjusted his backpack comfortably and headed out. He was at the Hongdae station, the same station he went down on two weeks ago for his date, also just a station before his university. 

 

Jiwon walked a familar path. Passing by grafitti filled walls, numerous hangout places and cafes. Taking a right turn, his eyes cought the signage of the cafe he had been in. ' You just need to take a quick look, right? After that the thoughts will stop? ' He reassured himself, his feet slowly taking him  to his destination.

 

' But what if he sees you? Will you talk to him? ' Jiwon shrugged as a response to his own thoughts.

 

' You're acquaintances anyway, you could just greet him casually and leave. ' He nodded. He finally arrived in front of the cafe. The aroma seeping through the door tickled his senses. There wasn't many people around and it made it easier for Jiwon to peek through the  window. His eyes immediately looked over the counter. There was someone, but not the one he was expecting.

 

He heaved a sigh and dropped his shoulder down. He wasn't sure why he felt that way. Was it because he couldn't do what his friend adviced and that his thoughts wouldn't stop bother him or that he was actually really looking forward to seeing him again. Jiwon really didn't know.

 

" Well, Jiwon. You just have to deal with it. " He turned around swiftly on the balls of his feet, his hands gripping to the strap of his backpack. Going to his university with his head dropped lowly.

 

The days went by and Jiwon's thoughts hadn't been going so well. The same event keeps on replaying and Jiwon grew accustomed to it already but it made him long for the other's company. It was a whole new feeling for him. It made him both happy and confused. Happy because he feels like he and that person would be great friends, they get along well and Jiwon finds that amazing. But confused, because his head is making such a big deal about it. Since that day when he peeked through the cafe and getting dismayed, Jiwon made a habit of always going down Hongdae station, passing by the cafe and looking inside to see.

 

Five consecutive days, Jiwon didn't see Hanbin. It made him feel bad. Could it be that his acquaintance changed workplace? How could he find him? Why is he looking for him? Questions, lots of it, pops inside Jiwon's crazy mind. It drove him crazy to the point that even on his way home, he decided to board in Hongdae station one evening.

 

He passed by the cafe once again, peeking into the window but ending up disappointed for another time. Jiwon looked down to his feet, and dragged it away from the place. Walking and walking like a human without a soul until he felt his head bump onto something soft.

 

" I'm sorry, I wasn't looking- "

 

" It's you! " A familiar voice resounded into Jiwon's ears. He felt the sides of his lips curl up as his heart skips a beat.

 

.

.

{x}

I would like to apologize for the super late update. Bad things keep popping up and it just disables my writing powers ㅠㅠ but I managed to finish this one. I hope some of your questions gets answered! This chapter is pretty wordy too since I gave them some background already. I would also like so apologize if the story isn't progressing fast since I'm writing his continuously and I'm quite unsure yet of the events in the future. I hope you enjoy this chapter as Jiwon undergoes Mental Breakdown, even though it's a bit messy.  

Also thanks to everyone who subscribed and to those who comments although I couldn't answer everything. I'm really thankful ;; ya'll making me crei

Thank you for reading! Comment / Subscribe °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°

 

double b is love, double b is lif