The Date

Take Me Home
Jongdae stood impatiently in front of the convenience store waiting for his date to arrive, tapping his foot in a quick rhythm. He removed his phone from his pocket, sighing heavily at the time he saw lit up on the device, even though he had arrived about ten minutes early. He and Chanyeol had planned this date a few days before but Jongdae was eager to be at the beach already. He loved the beach at night and had been itching to go with someone for some time. Unfortunately he had no offers until Chanyeol overhead him speaking to someone, he himself having a deep rooted appreciation of the beach nonchalantly suggested the two of them head out on a date. Finally, Chanyeol turned the corner toward the agreed upon meeting place, the smooth swagger of his steps as he made his way closer doing a decent job of covering his own excited anticipation as he approached the smaller individual with a wide and toothy welcoming grin. "Hey. I didn't really think this through. I was hoping for a picnic on the beach tonight. But, I didn't actually pack any food. " Chanyeol dropped his head to the side, emitting a low laugh in embarrassment, his eyes meeting Jongdaes gaze almost apologetically. "I'll buy you anything you want in the store here and I definitely owe you a home cooked meal." Jongdae lifted on his toes, heels practically clicking together at the offer any food he wanted. He joined in on the laughter, pushing playfully at Chanyeols shoulder and muttering over a laugh "Our first date is a picnic on a beach under the stars? Have you swallowed a romance novel? Do I need to call a doctor?". Chanyeol wrinkled his nose and stifled a defensive response, shaking his head and simply pushing the door open to the store and allowing Jongdae to prance his way inside. As he held the door, Chanyeol scoffed in mild amusement "This was actually your idea, you know?" The two moved about the store, winding around a few isles and perusing the treats displayed, Jongdae piling as much as he can manage to carry in his arms. Chanyeol just watched happily as he adjusted the straps of the bag on his back to hold it in place better while he plucked his wallet from his back pocket. "Do you think there's enough here? Don't be modest. I'll feel really guilty if you went hungry." Chanyeol chuckled at his own teasing, testing the waters for entertaining banter with Jongdae. He expected some type of retaliation, probably a smack of some kind, but Jongdaes face lit up in realization. "BEER! We absolutely also need beer for our trip!" Chanyeol stood there absolutely dumbfounded as Jongdae ran back to the wall of refrigerators to retrieve the cooled beverages. "Two? Six? Bottles? Cans?" Jongdae bellowed across the store looking for immediate answers to his questions, blinking expectantly as Chanyeol covered his face with his large hands. The two then shortly met at the register, Chanyeol paying for everything as promised without a single complaint. They left the store and proceeded to make their way down the dimly lit roads to the mostly deserted beach front. Jongdae, who was currently empty-handed as they walked grabbed one of the bags from Chanyeol to carry himself, their free hands easily slipping together and intertwining with one another. By the time they reached the beach the sun was long gone, Chanyeol dropped his bags at the edge of the sand and kicked his shoes and socks off. Jongdae followed his lead and soon after. They headed to a nicely secluded spot and set up a mat for relaxing, but before Chanyeol could fully sit Jongdae yanked him by the wrist and they stumbled sloppily down to the water. “We’re not coming all the way to the beach and not at least dipping our feet in the water!” Jongdae exclaimed the closer they got to the low tide. Chanyeol shrieked knowing that the water would be cold, shaking his wrist free and accidently sending Jongdae fumbling into the shallow water. Chanyeol rushed over to him, pulling the now soaked and whining Jongdae up to his feet. He immediately embraced Jongdae, a rousing bout of laughter shaking his whole body while making sure he was okay. “Oh my god, you weren’t supposed to go swimming!” Chanyeol sputtered the words out while ushering Jongdae back to the mat, wiping him down and draping the blanket folded up in his bag around Jongdaes small frame. Jongdae stood there, a scowl present on his face while trying to fight back his own laughter at the sheer ridiculousness of the situation while dropping himself onto the mat. He reached his arms upward at Chanyeol, lower lip pushed out in a pout while motioning for to sit as well. Chanyeol quickly obliged, taking a seat behing Jongdae and wrapping himself around him, his hands swiping over his body to keep him warm as a small bit of guilt washed over him. Chanyeol leaned in, lips pressed delicately to the shell of Jongdaes ear “If you get sick, I'll have to bring you home with me so I can care for you and prepare that homemade meal for you sooner than expected.” Jongdae smiled to himself, leaning back into the warmth of Chanyeols large comforting frame. The two stayed just like that on the beach for several hours, enjoying each other’s company and closeness until the sun rose. Jongdae gave his head a small nod and sniffled, clearing his throat with a gentle cough “I'm ready, take me home with you.”