end.

Who Could've Known

Title: Who Could've Known
Word Count: 1398
Note: Very much inspired by my mother who loves to call me over whenever she finds something interesting and/or funny. Not that I'm complaining. It was cute. 
And I will update my ongoing story, but I just wanted to write this cause why not.

 


 

“Jongin!!” Jongin quietly groans as he takes out his earbuds. He was finally getting into the groove of writing his English essay on Of Mice and Men after sparknoting it for ten minutes and finding out it had very little to do with mice, but plenty to do with men. Way too much testosterone in that book for Jongin to handle even though he very much lived in a household full of it. So much for having straight parents. “Jongin!!”

“I’m coming!!” he shouts as he makes his way down the stairs, carefully avoiding the strings of Christmas lights hanging on the railing three months after said holiday. He looks around the mess that is the living room and doesn’t find his dad sitting in his usual spot on the worn down leather couch. He turns to find his dad sitting at the dining room table shuffling through papers with his laptop open.

“Jong-oh, what are you doing? Come here.” Baekhyun waves him over with a bright grin and Jongin can’t help but smile as he walks over to him.

He leans over his dad’s head as he peers down at the various papers in his hands and on the table. He stifles a laugh when he sees his other dad’s old picture. A very old picture. Probably older than him, Jongin thinks as he leans in closer to see. But his attention is stolen away when his dad pulls his arm to seat him in the chair next to him. Jongin lands with an ‘oof,’ but doesn’t complain.

“Look at what I found!” Baekhyun proudly presents to him a weathered down document that has ‘United States of America’ typed in a calligraphy font that Jongin swears he used for one of his powerpoint presentations before.

“What is it?” Jongin asks as he scoots his chair closer. He looks at the solemn boy in the small rectangular picture pasted right above the area that says ‘Picture Here’ and smiles when he recognizes his dad. “Is that supposed to be Papa? He looks so young.”

Baekhyun nods as he looks at the paper with a fond smile. His thumbs smooths over the picture of a young Sehun as he laughs. “But look!” He points to the underlined area in the middle of the large text. Jongin leans in, wondering for a second before realizing what Baekhyun is pointing at is his birthday. “May sixth! Your father got his citizenship on my birthday! Don’t you think that set us up?”

Jongin chuckles as Baekhyun bounces in his seat. “That’s a weird coincidence.”

“I bet you it was fate.” Baekhyun nods his head, content with his answer. He puts down the document and Jongin picks it up to look at it again while Baekhyun picks up a similar looking piece of paper. Instead of Sehun’s picture, it’s Baekhyun. “Too bad I didn’t do it on Sehun’s birthday.” Baekhyun juts his bottom lip out in a pout. “It would’ve been perfect.”

“You always said Papa wasn’t a romantic person, maybe this will change his mind,” Jongin suggests as he puts down the document and leans his head on Baekhyun’s shoulder to look at his document. He holds back a laugh when he sees Baekhyun’s face. Seeing the younger versions of your parents was always so weird. Doesn’t help that they always have those cringy eighties haircuts. Jongin would live in a cave if he ever had either of his dad’s haircuts at seventeen. He’s so happy his parents allow him to go to salons run by younger people rather than those ahjummas a few blocks down.
 

Baekhyun hums as he leans his head against Jongin’s. “I wonder why your father never told me about this. I’m gonna protest to him when he gets home from work! Hm, but it’s already late. Should I wait up or leave this out to let him figure it out on his own? Or should I just wait until tomorrow?” Jongin smiles when he feels Baekhyun move his jaw back and forth in thought. A habit Baekhyun always had.

Jongin lifts his head up as he wrapped his arms around his dad’s petite figure. “I think you should wait up for him. Make him laugh before going to bed. Maybe he’ll give you one of those cuddle sessions you love so much.”

“Ah,” Baekhyun sighs happily as he smooths down Jongin’s hair. He smiles into his hair as he nods. “That sounds good to me. Thank you Jongin.”

Jongin presses a kiss to his dad’s temple and stands up. “No problem. Just don’t make too much of a ruckus. I’m writing an essay right now.”

Baekhyun smiles and laughs. He waves Jongin off and Jongin jogs back up to his room, feeling happier than he did when his dad called him down. Only for it to end when he sees the empty white space of his document shine mockingly at him. He glances at the clock sitting next to his laptop and groans when he sees the numbers 10:48 blink in red at him.




 

Jongin stretches his arms over his head and hears a few satisfying pops in his back. He lets out a sigh as he clicks the send button and lets out a large yawn that makes his eyes water.

 

12:03 his clock blinks. That wasn’t too bad. Too bad he bullted his essay, but hey. Maybe he’ll get a decent amount of sleep for once. He rolls his chair far enough that it doesn’t hit his bed, but close enough that he can throw himself onto the fluffy comforters.

 

He sighs in contentment, making no move to lay in a normal position with his head on the pillow because, hey, who needs a good back when they can just sleep in a position that a cat gets into when it doesn’t want to move from its position. Jongin that’s who.
 

But after laying there for a full five minutes, a drumming ache begins to start in his lower back and this time Jongin decides having a good back is better than being lazy.

Jongin finally gets himself under the comforts under his blankets and basks in the warmth of his little cocoon. He lets his eyes close and waits for sleep to come to him.

Just as he’s about to fall asleep, he’s jerked awake when he hears the front door open and the gate slam shut along with a couple of curses from his dad. A few muffled laughs are heard from Baekhyun and Jongin can imagine the exact smile and sigh that Sehun gives him.

A muffled conversation is all Jongin can hear before he hears Sehun burst into laughter. A smile creeps up onto Jongin’s face as sleep finally washes over him.


 


 

(“Don’t you think it’s funny?”

Sehun laughs and pulls Baekhyun into his arms, pressing a kiss to his forehead. “I guess it was just meant to be. Where’s your document though?”

Baekhyun pouts as he wiggles out of Sehun’s grasp. Sehun loosens his arms and moves his hands to Baekhyun’s lower back. Baekhyun smooths the document across Sehun’s chest, making Sehun smile down at him.

“If you told me about your citizenship I would’ve done the same,” Baekhyun whines. He punches against Sehun’s chest with a deep frown. “I’m off by eight months!!”

Sehun hums as he takes one hand off of Baekhyun’s hip to pick the document out of his husband’s hand. He smiles at the picture, eyes gliding over to the printed date hovering over the line it’s supposed to be printed on.

“Well if it’s any consolation, it’s December fourth.” Baekhyun furrows his eyebrows in confusion. Sehun stoops down to press a kiss to his lips which only makes Baekhyun even more confused, granted he loves Sehun’s kisses, but what?

“December fourth. Twelve dash four,” Sehun says and taps Baekhyun’s nose. Baekhyun blinks up at him as he tilts his head to the side. “My birthday, April twelfth. Four dash twelve.”

Baekhyun’s face is the epitome of confusion before a light bulb lights up in his head as his smile grows. He tightens his hold around Sehun’s waist as he lays his chin on his chest. His eyes turned into crescents as he laughs. Sehun smiles and laughs along with him, wrapping his arms around Baekhyun.

“Fate likes to play around with numbers, doesn’t it?”)