A Cat Romance

Valentine's Day Special!

~ 5.5 k words

 

“Would you just quit following me already?” Sehun the boy trailing a couple feet behind him, thin white kitten tail bristling. The boy flinched, tortoiseshell-patterned ears flattening. The boy mumbled something akin to an apology but it was so quiet Sehun couldn’t exactly hear what was said. The boy’s tail swished back and forth. Instead of asking the small boy to repeat himself, Sehun just turned around again and continued on his way home, facial expression as sour as usual. The other boy continued to follow quietly behind. Sehun was tempted to run but there was still a good distance to his house and he didn’t feel like running away from the boy enough to take the run. He wasn’t much of a runner.

The excruciatingly long kilometre of walking finally passed and Sehun thought that the smaller boy would just continue down to wherever his house was. Unfortunately he was wrong and the boy followed him into the lobby and elevator to go up to the apartments above. “Are you really this desperate for my attention?” Sehun grumbled. The other boy shook his head, mumbling something inaudible, tail swishing nervously again. “If you’re going to talk, at least say it loudly enough that I can actually hear you!” Sehun’s tail fluffed out in irritation.

“I live here too,” he said a little more loudly. “I’m not a stalker.”

“Then why have I never seen you walking home or leaving before?”

“Because I leave early all the time and I stay later than you do for acapella practices.” The boy looked over with large innocent eyes and Sehun felt guilty for snapping at him.

“I’m sorry... Uhm...” He had seen the boy in passing a couple of times but never paid attention to what his name was.

“Luhan. My name is Luhan,” Luhan said timidly, not meeting the other’s gaze. Sehun looked more closely. This boy looked much too young to be a highschool student.

“How old are you?”

“I’m seventeen,” he replied quietly.

“Really?” Sehun couldn’t hide the surprise. This guy was older than he was and yet the guy looked like he was still fourteen. Sehun was only fifteen years of age.

“Yeah.” The elevator chimed. “Oh, uhm, this is my floor so, uhm, I guess I’ll see you some other time.” Before Sehun could react, Luhan had pressed the “close door” button and slid out of the elevator before it closed.

Sehun’s brain unconsciously noted that the guy had gotten out on the sixth floor. He rode up another three levels to get to his apartment.

“Kim DumbDae, I’m home,” Sehun called to the lazy kid sleeping on his stomach on the sofa, drooling slightly. He jolted awake.

“Why are you home so early? You’re not supposed to be home until four,” Sehun’s cousin said sleepily, wiping the drool from the corner of his mouth and blinking slowly. His bracken tail lazily drifted back and forth.

“DumbDae, it is four,” he replied, tail flicking back and forth in irritation. “Why do you skip school so often?” he asked, heading into the kitchen to find something to eat.

“Sometimes it just isn’t worth it to get up at seven in the morning,” Jongdae replied, following his cousin into the kitchen.

“Is Soojung out of town again?” Sehun asked as he dug around in the fridge. Jongdae’s tail twitched and Sehun didn’t have to turn around to know he had guessed correctly.

“N-no! That’s not the reason at all! School is just boring!” he said defensively. Sehun turned around with an apple in his hand.

“Is it boring without her there?” Sehun asked, smiling cheekily.

“Shut up. You’ve got someone you like too I bet, someone who makes school worth going to,” Jongdae replied grumpily. Sehun took a sardonically thoughtful bite of apple before answering.

“Nope, not really. I go to school for the fun of it,”

“We both know that’s a lie. School isn’t fun.”

“My parents want me to go and get a good education, that’s about it,” he said after another bite of apple. He shrugged. “I don’t have a special someone I go to school just to see.”

“Or perhaps you met him and you just don’t know it yet,” Jongdae suggested. He knew something that Sehun didn’t and now had a conniving grin on his face. Sehun narrowed his eyes.

“And who might this special someone be?”

“He wants to remain anonymous until you notice him,” Jongdae shrugged not that the tables had turned in his favour. “Although, he’ll probably be waiting forever with you as thick as you are. Well, that and he’s really quiet. But he’s also your type so I think you’ll like him when you realise who it is.” That devious smile really pissed Sehun off sometimes.

“Whatever,” Sehun grumbled in frustration, flicking his ears. “I’ll find out who this boy is and prove you wrong. Firstly, I’m not into ‘hims’. And secondly I can totally figure out who this him is without him becoming my special someone.”

“I can smell a fruitcake a mile away.”

“Are you sure that isn’t just your fruitcakey smell all over the flat?”

“Positive. You’ll see soon enough. Besides, I’m not a fruitcake!”

“That’s what you think.”

 

--

 

Sehun’s second encounter with the quiet tortoiseshell by the name of Luhan was the morning before school about a week later. He ran into the flustered thing in the elevator. Luhan’s hair was flattened on one side and he looked like he had just woken up. He also looked about ready to cry, but that might have just been how he normally looked, Sehun didn’t know.

“Are you okay?” Sehun asked the little tortoiseshell awkwardly.

“Yeah. I just slept in,” he replied to the snowy-furred kitten, voice quivering. He saw in the reflective door that his hair was pushed up on one side and hastily smoothed it out. Sehun noticed dark circles underneath the boy’s eyes.

“Are you sure? You don’t look so good,” Sehun commented insensitively. Luhan whipped his iPhone out quickly to check his appearance. Sehun could have sworn that the poor boy’s eyes were tearing up now. “I just meant that you look kind of tired,” Sehun tried to amend, in vain.

When the elevator hit the first floor the kid bolted. If he sprinted, he would catch the next train and be on a different train than Sehun would be on. He managed to slip on just in time and exhaled a sigh of relief when the doors closed. Sehun was probably still a good ten minutes behind and would catch the next train. The other occupants were throwing him strange looks and he realised that he was crying. He hurriedly wiped his eyes and sniffled, composing himself. His ears were flat on his head and his tail hung limply behind him.

A university student across the way with Abyssinian ears and tail was judging him. She recognised the uniform as a highschool uniform, although it seemed that no one else on the train did, or they just chose to ignore the crying highschool student. Then again, Abyssinians were always rather judgy anyways so he didn’t take it too personally. He supposed that the Abyssinian aside, they all thought he was just a junior highschool student. Perhaps he had just broken up with a girlfriend or something.

By the time he got to school, he was able to greet his friends without looking like the wreck he looked like on the train. He had cleaned up his eyes and his hair. He used concealer to hide the circles and residual splotches and pasted a smile on his face as he walked through the gates.

Sehun wondered why the boy just took off like that but in the end, he just shrugged it off and went to school just like he usually did. When he arrived, he was tackled by his best friend, Jongin.

“Good morning, sour puss,” Jongin chirped, Bengal tail swinging back and forth.

“What’s got you in such a good mood?” Sehun asked. “Usually you’re still asleep right now.”

“I thought that today was a good day to seize. You know, carpe diem.”

“Did Minji say yes,” Sehun asked, jumping straight to the point. He felt Jongin twitch.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Jongin replied.

“You were going to confess something to her right? Your undying love or something like that.” Sehun could feel Jongin’s face heating up. “Oh come off it. You aren’t even going to tell your best friend?”

There was a pause and then Jongin finally said, “Yeah, she said yes and we’re going on a date after school. But you probably shouldn’t tell anyone. She ‘s like the most popular girl in the school and if people find out, I’ll be eaten alive.”

“My lips are sealed. But you have to remember that you’re one of the most popular boys at the school, although I’m pretty sure that everyone’s view of you would change if they knew how much of an idiot you were.”

“Sehun, there are plenty of other guys who are more popular than I am. There’s this kid I think he’s a third year and he’s hellishly popular. His name is something like Luhe, Leihan, Lahun,” he listed a couple random combinations of Chinese words. “Anyways, he’s Chinese and he’s older than us. But he’s like the most popular guy at the school because he’s really cute and really smart and really humble.”

“Are you talking about Luhan?”

“Yeah. That’s the kid.”

“Don’t let Minji hear you talking like this about a man, she might get jealous,” Sehun joked.

“It’s okay, she looks cute when she’s jealous. But one thing I did hear about him is that he’s not into girls, which is a bummer and loss for the entire female persuasion,” he commented. “Besides, I don’t swing that way and Minji knows it so it’s perfectly fine for me to talk like that. I’m probably the one who should be watching my back. That and there is a long list of other guys who could threaten my role as her boyfriend. Like Youngmin because damn is that boy attractive. He also speaks fluent English so that’s a point against me.”

Jongin continued talking but Sehun tuned out. When Jongin went on these little rants, they lasted for a god’s age and after the first minute, Sehun tapped out. They had begun to walk to class as it was starting in ten minutes and they were in the same class 1-4.

 

--

 

During the morning break, Jongin switched topics completely. “So next Saturday, Sunghyun is having that dance party because his parents are out of town. Are you going to try and find a date or go it alone? I’ve got Minji. You should find yourself a nice guy to go with.”

“Why do you assume I’m a fruitcake?” Sehun’s tail twitched in irritation. “You and my cousin.”

“It’s just that you’ve never had a girlfriend and you’re never really looking at girls. And I totally see you sometimes staring at guys.”

“You’re a terrible person. I hope you trip and fall on your face sometime in the next month.”

“Wow. Someone’s getting defensive. Guess I hit a nerve,” he all but cackled.

“Mr. Kim Jongin. Would you please turn around? Class is starting,” grumbled a very unhappy Mr. Cho Kyuhyun. He was the strictest teacher at the school.

“Sorry sir,” Jongin apologised, turning back around. There were snickered here and there but nothing too bad. Mr. Cho glared at the class and even the quiet snickers ceased.

 

At their lunch break, Jongin went back to trying to get Sehun a date for the party.

“If you get really desperate about getting a date, you can go facebook shopping. I won’t judge you. It would work for someone like you because you’re totally hot and talented.”

“I’m not desperate,” Sehun grumbled, ears twitching.

“Mayhaps you can get a date without having to go facebook shopping. You might get some hot single girls looking for a date to the party. Everyone who’s everyone is going, after all. And there’re probably also some hot guys who’d be willing to go with you,” he continued, ignoring his friend.

“Do you even listen when I talk to you?”

“I heard that Minah is single again.”

“You’re a and you eat like a five year old,” Sehun said casually before taking a bite of his lunch.

“Sehun, it’s rude to say things like that. Anyways, what was I saying.” Sehun almost planted his face in his lunch at the idiocy of his best friend.

“Why are you my best friend again?”

“Because I’m beautiful, lovable, and smart,” Jongin replied coolly. Sehun sighed exasperatedly.

“I need to find a new best friend.”

“You don’t mean that.” Jongin gave him sad puppy eyes and Sehun had to forgive him.

“I’ll never find anyone capable of replacing you,” Sehun conceded. Jongin gave him a grin bright enough to outshine stars.

“I love you too sour puss.” He took a bite before continuing to list the various free girls around the school. “Yooara is a real sweetie and she’s single. You could always go with her.”

“You sound like a mother trying to marry her child off,” Sehun observed.

“Well my little Sehunie is growing up. There’s also the party and you really don’t want to go without a date.”

“Yes mom. I’ll find someone by next Saturday.”

 

--

 

On the train ride back home, Sehun saw the little boy again on the other side of the car. His name was Luhan, right? Why was he going home early again? Upon closer inspection, Sehun noticed a quickly darkening right eye and tears b in both. Sehun adjusted his bag and made his way over to the tiny tortoiseshell.

“Hey,” Sehun said to the smaller boy. Luhan jumped, bristling momentarily from the surprise.

“Oh. Uhm. Hi,” Luhan mumbled. Either he had turned up the volume on his voice or Sehun was just picking his words up better.

“What happened?” Sehun indicated the swelling eye.

Luhan’s ears drooped and flattened out,” It’s nothing,” he replied with decreased volume. He mumbled the next sentence almost inaudibly and Sehun could only pick out a few words: soccer captain, breakup, angry, jealous. Although Sehun only heard snippets, he gleaned the situation from the words he could make out.

“So Minho accused Eunji of looking at you and he’s a jealous brat so he started yelling at her and she broke it off. He then proceeded to beat you up. Is that right?” Luhan nodded slowly.

Sehun felt bad for the poor boy, wondering whether this happened often and if so, how often. The sports captains all acted like mafia bosses, possessive and jealous. They could be angered by the smallest things. Luhan shuffled his feet awkwardly and Sehun felt even worse about snapping at the boy the other day.

“Are your parents home to help clean yourself up and take care of that?” Sehun indicated the eye again.

Luhan shook his head. “I’m staying here alone. My parents are still living back in China,” he replied softly, voice quivering.

“Do you want to come up to my flat? My cousin can help you.”

“I’m fine,” he replied. “I’ve done it before.” Sehun wasn’t sure whether Luhan had whispered that last bit or whether Sehun had just filled it in mentally.

“Just let me help you, okay? It looks pretty bad and it looks like you need the help,” Sehun said bluntly.

“O-okay,” Luhan whispered. “Thank you.” The little boy looked up at Sehun for the first time, Sehun thought.

“Yeah, no problem.”

 

The train came to their stop and the two exited onto the platform before heading up the street on the two-kilometre hike to their apartment complex. Luhan’s eye had turned a nasty shade of purple by the time they got to the complex and he looked absolutely miserable. He was also debating whether he was going to back out of Sehun’s offer and hole himself up in his flat for a couple days so that no one would see his black eye.

 

“Did Minho say anything to you before he socked you?” Sehun asked casually in hopes of not making the boy feel particularly awkward.

“He said that his girlfriend was always talking about me and he thought it was unfair that a f@g like me would get such a beautiful and popular girl.”

“That’s not fair. It’s his own damned fault if he can’t keep his girl. It isn’t yours,” Sehun found himself saying. He didn’t really actually know this kid, he just felt he needed to help him out. Luhan resisted the urge to push the six on the elevator keypad and let Sehun press the nine. “And he shouldn’t have called you a f@g. There’s no reason to go after you like that. It’s unfair.”

Luhan was quiet. He didn’t know how to deal with this sort of kindness. It was backhanded in many ways but it was also rather reassuring.

 

--

 

--

 

“DumbDae, I’m home,” Sehun called to the lump on the sofa. Once again the dope had skipped school.

“Would you stop calling me that?” he muttered groggily. “How was school?”

“It was fine, you lazy bum,” he responded. “Oh, and I brought home a friend,” he mentioned offhandedly. Luhan was hiding behind Sehun as he and Jongdae exchanged pleasantries. “He needs some help with things so I volunteered our flat. He’s all alone at home so I thought it would be nice to come here,” he announced. Luhan looked slightly unhappy that his problems were laid out on the table.

“Don’t mind my rude cousin. He doesn’t know the definition of the word subtle,” Jongdae said as if his cousin weren’t there, stumbling to his feet and approaching the little boy. “That looks like a bad punch,” he commented, examining Luhan’s black eye. “We should probably put a cold pack on it. I’ll get it. Sehun, make our guest comfortable without saying offensive things.”

“When do I ever say offensive things?”

“Every time you open your mouth,” Jongdae called from the kitchen. Luhan was unsure whether he was allowed to laugh at this exchange so he remained silent.

“You can leave your bag here by the door with your shoes. I think the most comfortable place for you would be over here on the sofa,” Sehun said as gently as he could. Luhan nodded politely. “You don’t have to be so formal. We’re nice people. Or at least I am, DumbDae in there is a real jerk.” Luhan giggled and a little colour rose to Sehun’s cheeks. “Well that’s a start, I suppose. You can relax here. Anything weird you do cannot be topped by the weird stuff we do.”

“Excuse you. It’s the weird stuff you do that can’t be topped. I’m perfectly normal.”

“You’re about as normal as a kid with bunny ears.”

“Well aren’t you the pot calling the kettle black,” Jongdae retorted. Luhan was now laughing softly. Jongdae then remembered that he had gotten a cold pack for the kid. “Here you go. Just hold it over your eye and hopefully it will reduce the swelling and it might not look so bad tomorrow.”

“Thank you,” Luhan replied politely. He winced and his ears twitched as the cold came in contact with his hot, swollen skin.

“Look at this kid. He’s so polite, much better than you, you little barbarian.”

“Well you’re a troll,” Sehun retorted, tail thrashing behind him. Luhan’s eye was feeling good enough that he could laugh at their banter.

“Are you two always like this?” he asked in his soft voice.

“Nope. Sometimes we also engage in fisticuffs,” Jongdae replied as seriously as he could.

“Just shut up,” Sehun grumbled, lightly punching his cousin in the arm.

“Alas, I am mortally wounded,” he exclaimed dramatically before falling on Sehun, well more launching himself at the boy to knock him over.

“You’re a terrible person. You’re worse than Jongin and that idiot is annoying as hell,” Sehun grumbled as he pushed the smaller boy, who had gone deadweight, off him.

Jongdae scrambled to his feet. “Score! I’ve finally surpassed your friend and claimed the spot of number one most annoying to Oh Sehun.”

“Oh my god, get me out of this flat before I murder someone,” Sehun grumbled to no one in particular.

“I don’t know,” Luhan said quietly. “It seems like it’s lively in here. This seems like a fun place to live.” Jongdae and Sehun’s ears twitched, just barely picking up the soft voice.

“You think it’s fun living with this idiot?” They gasped in unison before glaring at one another for saying the same thing.

“Well it’s certainly better than an empty flat,” the tiny tortoiseshell replied, ears flattening to his head.

“Sorry for yelling,” Jongdae apologised. “Sehun doesn’t have a volume control. It’s just whiny or loud and whiny although sometimes if he’s really feeling it, he can make himself loud without the annoying whine.”

“Shut up. You sound like a girl and you laugh like a goat,” Sehun retorted. “But yeah. Sorry for scaring you or whatevers. Jongdae can be kind of scary sometimes.”

I’m scary? You’re the one who always looks like he just swallowed a lemon and took a vinegar chaser,” Jongdae grumbled defensively.

“Well at least I don’t look like a dolphin.” They looked over at Luhan who looked more scared than ever.

“You can laugh at that one, he’s an idiot,” they said in unison again. Luhan giggled lightly. “I’m not the idiot, you are. Ugh you’re so insufferable!” They continued, matching intonations and words. Luhan’s laughter grew louder.

“Are you feeling better at least?” Sehun inquired. “You didn’t look so good on the train over here.” Luhan nodded, crow’s feet appearing at the corners of his eyes, although he did wince when the muscles in his eye moved and the damaged cells voiced their protest.

“It’s okay, you don’t have to force it. Sehun isn’t that funny anyways,” Jongdae said. “Do you want tea or something? I notice your boyfriend hasn’t offered to get you anything as of yet.”

“B-boyfriend?” Luhan squeaked, smile suddenly falling off his face.

“Sorry. Jongdae just has a sick and stupid sense of humour. It’s totally okay to disregard anything and everything he says.”

“Wow. Rude! I was just kidding. I’ll just leave now because I’m obviously not wanted.” Sehun noticed a vibration from Jongdae’s pocket.

“Is it because you’re unwanted here or because you’re wanted somewhere else by a pretty little tabby by the name of Soojung.”

“Just shut up. I’ll leave you two alone if you leave me alone.”

Sehun snickered. “Have fun with your girlfriend.”

“I don’t need your sass DumbHun,” Jongdae retorted.

“Yes you do. You deserve it for scaring him and general rudeness,” Sehun stated.

“And here we are with the pot calling the kettle black again,” Jongdae sighed. “Before this conversation gets any stupider, I’m just going to take my leave. Bye DumbHun. Bye Luhan.” Luhan bowed silently, tail swinging gently back and forth. He put the cold pack on his eye once again.

“Well, that was my stupid cousin in all of his idiotic glory. Hope you had fun.”

“It just looks like so much fun to have someone to talk to even if you fight all the time,” Luhan replied. “Besides, more than you’d like to admit, you’d miss him if he weren’t there.” Sehun pulled a face and Luhan punched his arm lightly. When he realised what he had done, his tail stood on end and he quickly dropped his hand as if that could take back what he had just done.

“You’re so timid. It’s fine. I’m not going to hurt you and I’m only going to lightly judge you. You can relax a little.” Luhan only laughed nervously, relaxing only a little.

“Listen, if you’re really lonely, you can just stay the afternoon here. That would be much more comfortable than spending another night with an annoying lovesick boy.” Luhan’s ears twitched but Sehun didn’t notice.

“Sometimes Jongdae can be a real pain in the always talking about how Soojung liked his facebook status or how Soojung texted him a pusheen emoticon or how Soojung said that she liked his hair pushed back instead of straight down. Sometimes that boy can be utterly insufferable,” Sehun complained.

“I think I understand the feeling, though, when your crush does these little things, like acknowledge your existence.” The little tortoiseshell boy’s cheeks tinted pink and Sehun could see why all the girls fell for him. He was adorable, the kind of adorable that you just want to squish or hug. Luhan’s tail wrapped a little uncertainly around his waist in embarrassment as if that would lessen the chagrin just a little.

Before Sehun’s brain could stop his mouth, he voiced this opinion. “I can see why you’re so popular with the ladies. You’re pretty damned adorable. I also heard you’re smart and humble. It’s a real loss to all those pretty noonas out there that you’re not batting for the team they want you to,” Sehun stated, a little more than insensitively. Somehow, that didn't seem to bother Luhan in the least.

“Th-thank you,” he looked over at Sehun, tail patting the sofa quietly. If Sehun weren’t as thick as he was, he would notice that Luhan was really happy to hear the compliment part of Sehun’s observation.

“Hey Luhan. How’d you end up in Korea? You’re Chinese but your parents are still in China?”

“Yeah,” he mumbled. “I want to become a famous singer when I grow up and this is one of the best places to make that happen, except that I don’t know Korean very well—“

“Your Korean is fine, great even,” Sehun interrupted. He realised his mistake and his face turned a little pink. “Sorry, continue.” Luhan had also gone a shade darker.

“S-so I came to Korea to study the language,” he finished.

“Is that also why you do acapella?”

“Mhm.”

“That’s really cool, that you know what you want to do and have the drive to even go to a different country to do it. I don’t know what I want to do in life yet, I just know that I like to dance and I hate world history.” Luhan giggled.

“You’ve got years to figure out what you actually want to do in life.” He beamed and for some reason, Sehun could have sworn that the room got brighter but he had no idea why.

“What sort of dance do you do?”

“Hip-hop. It’s really fun; you should try it sometime,” Sehun suggested.

“I’m really not good at dancing...” Luhan mumbled.

“I could teach you sometime,” Sehun offered. Luhan got noticeably redder.

“Y-you don't have to!” he squeaked.

“It’s really fun. Well, if you ever feel like you want to learn how to dance, you can just ask me.” He grinned and sent Luhan’s heart into overdrive. He adjusted the ice pack on his eye a little nervously.

“O-okay. Th-thank you,” he stammered. “D-do you think I could watch you practice sometime?” he asked before he could stop himself. In horror at what he had just asked, he dropped the ice pack into his lap and clamped a hand over his mouth.

“Uhm, sure. I usually practice on weekends or during breaks when Jongin isn’t being an attention ,” Sehun replied. “But you have to sing for me,” Sehun added. “You’re a good singer right?”

“I’m not that great,” Luhan replied, looking down and replacing the ice pack.

“I’m sure you’re great. I’ve heard that you’re painfully humble about everything.”

“Th-that’s not true! I’m just not as great as people think I am.”

“Then prove me wrong and sing for me.” Sehun cracked a smile and Luhan was afraid that he would go into cardiac arrest. “It’s okay, you don’t actually have to if you don’t want to,” Sehun said when he saw how flustered Luhan was getting.

“N-no, I’ll do it,” Luhan asserted in his quiet voice.

 

Take my hand, I’ll teach you to dance.

I’ll spin you around, won’t let you fall down.

Would you let me lead, you can step on my feet.

Give it a try, it’ll be alright.

 

The room’s hush, hush,

And now’s our moment.

Take it in feel it all and hold it.

Eyes on you, eyes on me.

We’re doing this right.

 

Cause lovers dance when they’re feeling in love.

Spotlight shinning, it’s all about us.

It’s oh, oh, all,

About uh, uh, us.

And every heart in the room will melt,

This is a feeling I’ve never felt but,

It’s oh, oh, all about us.”

 

Luhan closed his eyes in order to better concentrate on the silent melody playing through his head.

 

“Suddenly, I’m feeling brave.

Don’t know what’s got into me,

Why I feel this way.

Can we dance, real slow?

Can I hold you, real close?

 

The room’s hush, hush,

And now’s our moment.

Take it in feel it all and hold it.

Eyes on you, eyes on me.

We’re doing this right.

 

Cause lovers dance when they’re feeling in love.

Spotlight shinning, it’s all about us.

It’s oh, oh, all,

About uh, uh, us.

And every heart in the room will melt,

This is a feeling I’ve never felt but,

It’s oh, oh, all about us.”

 

Luhan’s voice was absolutely enchanting and Sehun couldn’t stop himself from staring at the boy, mouth slightly ajar. His voice was soft, yet powerful and clear.

 

“Do you hear that love?

They’re playing our song.

Do you think we’re ready?

Oh I’m really feeling it.

Do you hear that love?

Do you hear that love?

 

Do you hear that love?

They’re playing our song.

Do you think we’re ready yet?

Love I’m really feeling it.

Do you hear that love?

Do you hear that love?

 

Do you hear that love?

They’re playing our song.

Do you think we’re ready yet?

Love I’m really feeling it.

Do you hear that love?

Do you hear that love?”

 

Sehun had never heard the song before but he was absolutely certain that Luhan’s version of it was infinitely better. The voice he was listening to was almost like a siren’s.

 

“Lovers dance when they’re feeling in love.

Spotlight shinning, it’s all about us.

It’s all, all, all, all.

Every heart in the room will melt,

This is a feeling I’ve never felt,

But it’s all about us.

 

Cause lovers dance when they’re feeling in love.

Spotlight shinning, it’s all about us.

It’s oh, oh.

(hey-ey hey)

And every heart in the room will melt,

This is a feeling I’ve never felt but,

It’s oh, oh, all,

It’s all about us”

 

Luhan stopped and opened his eyes to see Sehun staring like an idiot.

“W-was it that bad...?”

“No. Gucci no. You have an amazing voice,” Sehun replied in awe. “I don’t think I’ve heard anything as pretty as that.” Luhan’s heart was beating faster than should be physically possible and his head was feeling light. “I’m 1000% certain that when you become an idol, you’ll have the best singing voice in the whole industry.” Something was happening in Sehun’s chest but he couldn’t place it. It was halfway between embarrassment and joy but he couldn’t quite place it.

“You’re just flattering me,” Luhan replied.

“No I’m not. I think you’re amazing. Your singing is amazing!”

“I’m sure that your dancing is much better than my singing.”

“Nah. Jongin’s the one who’s really good at dancing. He basically knows every sort of dancing in existence.”

“I don’t think you’re giving yourself enough credit for your skills,” Luhan stated.

“I could say the same about you,” Sehun rebutted. Luhan’s tail wrapped around his waist protectively again. “It’s okay to admit that you’re good at stuff or that you’re smart or that you’re good-looking. And if those jerk jocks make fun of you again, tell them that you’ve got a friend who knows Wushu and will kick their asses if they continue to do it. His name is Tao and he’s Chinese too and he can whoop some serious .”

“Thank you.” Luhan’s tail unconsciously went to entwine itself in Sehun’s but Sehun let him. It felt surprisingly nice.

“Hey, so there’s a party next Saturday. Do you want to come with me? It’d be me and you and Jongin and Minji.”

“I’d love to,” Luhan replied with a smile that brightened the room. Perhaps everyone was right about Sehun being a fruitcake. Well if he was with Luhan, there are worse things than being a fruitcake with that boy.