Undefined Love

Undefined Love

This story is dedicated to a long distance friend of mine. I wish I could be there physically when you go through hurtful times. 


The streetlights continued to light up the car only to put it back into darkness shortly after, constantly switching back and forth, as they moved down the main road. None of them spoke, content in the white noise of the hum of the car engine, the vague sound of the city outside and a radio host whose words none of them could make out because of the low volume. Hoseok was tapping his fingers on the steering wheel to his own rhythm, drumming out the beat to a song that had played on repeat in his head the entire day.

Lolling his head to the side, Yoongi looked out through the window but he wasn’t actually paying attention to their surroundings – he was watching Hoseok in the reflection. He looked good tonight; wearing dark jeans and a blue sweatshirt, his black hair styled up in the front.
Yoongi leaned back into his seat, tilting his head so he could look up through the sunroof, mentally noting that the glass was smudgy. Hoseok should have his car washed. Then there was no more streetlights. Yoongi continued to stare up through the sunroof.

Soon.

Soon he would be able to see the stars. They were out of Soul now, but it would still be awhile before the glow surrounding the never sleeping city would fade enough for the stars to come out.

When Hoseok had asked if he wanted to go for a drive Yoongi had agreed immediately, canceling all other plans he had had that evening – Namjoon would understand. They would go to the poetry slam night another time.

Yoongi liked spending time with Hoseok. It was careless (but not in the irresponsible way, Hoseok didn’t have the nerve), it was enjoyable (and Yoongi enjoyed very few things in life, according to Jimin) and it was relaxing (which was much needed in his busy life).

Yeah, he liked spending time with Hoseok. He liked Hoseok. He would even dare to say (though never out loud) that he like liked Hoseok. And he was sure Hoseok like liked him too. Whenever they found the time in their tight schedule, they would call one another. Take walks by Han River, talk for hours on the phone, or (just like now) go for a late night drive into the country.

“Oh!” Hoseok suddenly exclaimed and reached for the volume button, “I love this song.”

Yoongi tore his eyes from the night sky and snorted at Hoseok’s singing. He liked Hoseok, all right, just not his singing.

“That sound terrible,” Yoongi commented and had to hold back another laugh at Hoseok’s “shocked” face.

Excuse me, it’s not like your singing is brilliant either,” the black haired male shot back.

“Never said it was,” Yoongi shrugged, “but the difference is that I don’t try and sing when I know this fact.”

“Rude,” Hoseok just mumbled, looking over his shoulder before taking a right turn, getting onto a smaller road.

They never voiced their thoughts, never labeled what they were or what they were doing. They had never slept together (hell, Yoongi had never been to Hoseok’s apartment and vice versa), they had never kissed. The closest thing they had done was carefully linking fingers, none of them daring to look at the other as they continued some irrelevant conversation.

The road’s surface turned from asphalt to gravel, making the car jump slightly when a wheel sunk into a weather worn hole.

They were silent until they reached the spot. Yoongi would love to call it their spot, but unfortunately, it was a popular place for teenagers to come to, to make out. Public display of affection wasn’t Yoongi’s cup of tea, which made everything very awkward when once, he and Hoseok almost tripped over other people’s stripped off clothes.

It did not make them stop coming back to this spot, though. They just chose times when it was more likely to be vacant.

Hoseok slowed the car to a halt and turned off the engine.

As always, the view had a calming effect on Yoongi. The place overlooked large patches of rice fields and a few small farmhouses, all being lit up by a bright moon. Some might not find the view breathtaking (dumb teenagers certainly didn’t appreciate it, too busy each other’s faces) but to Yoongi it was one of the most beautiful places to overlook. He unbuckled his seatbelt and slowly opened the door, never taking his eyes off the sight in front of him. Hoseok copied his actions, slowly walking in front of his car to sit on the hood. Yoongi joined him, feeling the car bounce ever so slightly under their weight. Looking up, Yoongi could finally enjoy the stars spread across the endlessly dark blue night sky. Hoseok moved to lean back on his hands as he turned his head towards the sky as well.

“I wished I could paint this,” Hoseok mumbled. Yoongi copied his position, wondering what Hoseok saw in the sky that Yoongi didn’t, since he believed he couldn’t capture it on canvas.

Yoongi turned his head and opened his mouth, about to say something but his breath got caught in his throat. Hoseok had closed his eyes, head tilted slightly back, enjoying the light breeze and Yoongi watched as it made strands of Hoseok’s hair move. He looked so beautiful. The moon made his otherwise tanned skin glow. His mouth was set in a neutral line, lips soft looking, and Yoongi found himself zero in on the tiny birthmark there. Before he could look away, Hoseok had snapped open his eyes and tilted his head in Yoongi’s direction.

Again, Yoongi was lost for words, as he felt trapped in Hoseok’s eyes. They were so dark. But the kind of darkness that made you feel safe. Dark and warm.

“You are beautiful,” Hoseok suddenly whispered startling Yoongi out of his trance.

“W-what?” At first Yoongi wasn’t sure if had been his own voice speaking those words, because they were an exact copy of what he’d been thinking of Hoseok. Hoseok looked startled as well, like he hadn’t meant to say that.

“I-I’m sorry,” he suddenly stuttered, big doe eyes flickering over Yoongi’s face in search for something that indicated that he hadn’t just messed up, “I didn’t mean that - no wait, I mean you are beautiful. I..I just didn’t mean to suddenly blurt it like that. Jeez, I’m so sorry. It was out of place for me to say.”

Yoongi patiently waited for Hoseok to end his rambling, eyes carefully watching the flow of emotions as they rolled over the young man’s face.

“Why did you say it?” Yoongi finally asked, slowly, as if unsure of his own question, “why did you call me beautiful?”

Hoseok looked taken aback, like he hadn’t expected that to be what came out of Yoongi’s mouth. He suddenly showed a shy expression, a strange look for Hoseok to wear, Yoongi thought.

“Because you are,” Hoseok said in a low voice, taking a deep breath as to prepare himself for what to say next, “and I think it every time I look at you. I guess it finally slipped out.”

Yoongi dry swallowed and his lips.

“Yeah?” He felt his voice shake and it made him frown. Clearing his throat he tried again, “yeah? What…what else do you think of me?” His voice was just above a whisper and Hoseok had to lean closer to hear properly.

“I think,” the black haired male began slowly; “I think you are cool. I love the work you do and how dedicated you are to it. I think you are kind and polite to strangers yet strict and very straight forward with the people you know.”

By now, Hoseok’s hand had slowly inching closer to Yoongi’s until their pinkies touched and Yoongi made the bold move and linked them.

“I find you are a very private person, only letting so few into you head and even fewer into your heart. I think you are wonderful and I love it when you smile. I love even more when you talk about the things you are passionate about, because they don’t just make you smile, but also your eyes shine.”

Yoongi stared at him. How could someone he had only met a few years back know him so well? He’d grown up with Namjoon and Jimin but none of them knew him like Hoseok did. How had he come to know him this well? As Hoseok just said, Yoongi was a private person. But Yoongi also knew that Hoseok was very observant. Which was what made him such a great painter. He managed to capture emotions in his paintings that Yoongi thought would be impossible to express in any way.

“Yoongi?” Hoseok asked carefully.

“I…I don’t know what to say,” Yoongi honestly answered, his thoughts a confused mess.

“What do you…what do you think of me?” Hoseok then tried.

“I think,” Yoongi wetted his lips again, a nervous habit, “that you talk too much.” The last part he barely got out before closing the distance. That wasn’t at all what he’d wanted to say. He was a klutz with words not to mention expressing emotions. He hadn’t intended to kiss Hoseok either. Thought about it? Yes, many times. But he’d never dared to act on these emotions, afraid to ruin….whatever this friendship was.

Yet, here he was, kissing him like it was the most natural thing in the world. No, he hadn’t intended to do this, but the pull Hoseok had on his heart had been too strong, intensified by his long speech about what he thought of Yoongi.

Then Hoseok kissed him back and Yoongi was sure his heart grew too big for his chest. Hoseok’s lips melted against his, capturing them in a way that made Yoongi scoot closer, hand reaching up behind Hoseok’s neck, caressing the soft hairs there.

He didn’t know what they were, but right now, as Hoseok gently kissed the breath out of him and cupped one side of his face with his hand, Yoongi didn’t care. They would figure it out.