Tea Leaves Made of Sugar

Tea Leaves Made of Sugar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~Tea Leaves Made of Sugar~

            Tea was never in Jiae's preferred tastes, she practically loathed anything bitter. She could consume bubble tea, the only exception to her dislike of tea. But real tea that must be steeped in hot water, was not something she would drink willingly nor go out to seek for consumption. It tasted absolutely gross and too watered down for her to be able to enjoy it's flavor, which often than not was far too bitter. She even reasoned with herself once that she might as well be drinking water since that would be more enjoyable than tea.

            When Mijoo and Yein approached her with an offer to check out the new cute tea shop on the corner of the shopping district, Jiae immediately thought they were inviting her to a new bubble tea shop so she agreed without hesitation. After all Mijoo and Yein new very well of Jiae's preferences, they wouldn't take her to a place she would want to turn tail and run from. She trusted her closest friends.

            "Are you going to order your usual favorite flavor of bubble tea or are you going to try something new this time?" Yein questioned Jiae.

            "Maybe something new if there's any interesting flavors," Jiae adjusts her bag strap so it sits comfortably on her shoulder.

            "There's always the option of mixing bubble tea to create interesting flavors," adds in Mijoo with a playful grin.

            Yein and Jiae couldn't tell whether Mijoo was being serious or joking but knowing the other girl for so long they decided to give the safe answer, "Mijoo, no."

            The way Mijoo deflates a little after hearing the response confirmed for Yein and Jiae that the other was being serious. Good grief.

            Yein takes her girlfriend's hand in hers just as she spots the little shop. "Mijoo look, I found it. How cute, it's called Lovelyz."

            Mijoo grins and starts pulling Yein along with her towards the shop, "Let's go, drinks are on me for today~"

            Jiae followed after the two but as she neared the shop, her brows furrowed in confusion, "It seems a bit empty though?"

            Mijoo shrugs it off, "It's probably because they just opened. Give it like a week and the shop will be bustling with people soon enough I guarantee it."

            "I suppose…"

            The trio entered the shop, making the door's bell go off alerting the workers inside, and headed for the counter. Another girl who looked to be almost around their age, with short cropped hair and a friendly smile walked out from the back door to greet them.

            "Hello my name is Jin, welcome to Lovelyz' Traditional Tea House. How may I help you?"

            'Traditional Tea House?' Jiae tilted her head at the words and then her eyes lifted upwards towards the menu. Her eyes widened at the options.

            Those were not bubble tea items.

            All those items listed were actual teas, the ones with the tea bags steeped in hot water.

            Jiae wants to leave. No, Jiae needs to leave.

            Mijoo looked at the options available as she talked, "Hello, we-"

            Jiae interrupted quickly, as kind as the girl behind the counter looked she didn't want any of the items on the menu, "-Accidentally walked into the wrong store. We're sorry about the trouble."

            Mijoo gave Jiae a 'what the hell are you talking about' look before waving off Jiae's attempt to escape, "No, this is definitely the place. We just thought it sold bubble tea."

            Jiae will never trust Mijoo again.

            Jin chuckled lightly, "We actually get that a lot since we opened up our shop, no worries. Bubble tea is more popular than traditional tea these days. I won't be offended or anything if you guys wanted to leave and find a different shop."

            Before Jiae could open to make another attempt to politely excuse the three of them from the shop, Yein piped up.

            "Oh no, we took the time to come all the way here. Plus this shop's décor is so cute. We're just not sure what to order since we don't really drink traditional teas."

            Jiae will also never trust Yein again.

            "Oh, I can recommend you a few of our specialties. Jisoo and Baby Soul, my co-worker and boss, are the ones who are making the teas today since I'm in charge of running the counter and front area of the shop. The most popular are usually the flower teas since they actually bloom in the hot water but if you're looking for something less flashy then I would recommend the more common drinks like matcha green tea or our cherry blossom tea."

            "The cherry blossom tea sounds good," Yein looks towards Mijoo, "What about you?"

            "Sure, I'll get the same. We can get the flowering tea another time," replies Mijoo as she opens her bag to grab her wallet.

            Jiae silently bids goodbye to her friendship to these fools.

            As Jiae's once trusted friends continued to talk, Jiae slowly made her way closer to the door. She was almost there, she even managed to open the door quietly so that the door's bell wouldn't ring, now she just needs to slip out unnoticed…

            "Jiae what do you want to dri- Where in the world are you going?"

            The oldest cursed in her mind as Mijoo and Yein caught her with half her foot out the door. She had two options; she could pretend she didn't hear Mijoo and make a run for it or go back inside and choke down one of those drinks. Honestly, the first option sounded great to Jiae but then Yein bounced over and hooked their arms together during Jiae's hesitation and dragged her back to the counter before she could even blink.

            "You'll probably like what we ordered, let's get three orders of the cherry blossom tea," says Yein cheerily as Jin rings it up for them and Mijoo pays. Jiae stews in quiet internal screams as Yein doesn't let her budge.

            "Okay, your order will be out soon. Feel free to take a seat anywhere you like, Jisoo will bring it out to you." After excusing herself, Jin walks to the back to hand in the order slip while Mijoo, Yein, and Jiae (who had to be dragged) took a seat tucked into the corner of the shop near the board games.

            Jiae gets smooshed into the seat near the wall and beside Yein, where there's no way for her to get out. She huffs in annoyance, "You're all not my friends. Who are you and what have you done to the real Mijoo and Yein." Jiae narrowed her eyes at Mijoo and Yein, "My friends know I don't like tea, they know I can't even stand a small sip of it."

            Mijoo rolled her eyes, "We know you don't like the stuff but maybe give this shop a try you might like it from here. Besides we came all the way here for this shop and I'm not leaving without ordering at least one item."

            "I agree with Mijoo," Yein turns towards Jiae who's frowning and sighs, "Okay, okay, if you don't like it you can choose the next place to hang out but you have to try the drink first."

            Jiae wrinkled her nose at the offer, "Ew, I don't want to try it. I know I'll hate it."

            "Well the order is coming regardless so," Mijoo shrugs, "I guess Yein and I will be able to pick the next place to go."

            A scowl crosses Jiae's pretty face for a moment before she catches sight of a new girl approaching them with a small tray of three tea cups on it. She was pretty, really pretty, eye catchingly pretty. Jiae's perfect type pretty. From her long brown hair, to her twinkling eyes, bright smile, and slim figure; Jiae couldn't keep her eyes off the approaching girl. She thinks she might have fallen in love at first sight.

            "Oh, that must be Jisoo with our order," notes Yein as she follows Jiae's awestruck expression while bringing her hand up to close Jiae's slightly gaping mouth.

            Jiae swatted the younger's hand away but didn't bother to move her gaze away from Jisoo.

            Jisoo finally makes it to the table and stands at the edge of their table and places the tray down in the middle before smiling at the three customers. "Hello, here is your order of three cherry blossom teas. Thank you and enjoy your drink. If there is anything else you need, don't hesitate to ask."

            "Would you go on a date with me?" mumbles Jiae under her breath.

            Jisoo perked up at the sudden question, although she didn't quite catch what the girl in the corner said, "Hm? I'm sorry, I didn't hear what you needed. Is there anything I can get you?"

            Jiae's eyes widened almost comically while Mijoo and Yein tried their absolute hardest to keep their laughs from bursting out of their lips.

            "Oh no, I-I was just wondering…" Jiae's eyes frantically scanned around looking for something, anything, her eyes locked on to the sugar dispenser on the table, "-If we're allowed to use as much of the sugar that we wanted? I really like my tea with a lot of sugar."

            "Of course, feel free to sweeten your drinks to your heart's content or use the milks and creamers available as well. Is there anything else, I could help you with?" asks Jisoo sweetly.

            Jiae quickly shakes her head, "Thank you."

            "You're welcome." Jisoo smiles again before turns around and heads back to the kitchen, out of sight.

            Mijoo and Yein finally release their fit of stifled giggles.

            "Way to go for it Jiae," Mijoo throws her head back in complete mirth.

            Yein gasps for air as she tries to regain her composure, "Seems like you like this tea shop after all."

            "You're wrong," replies Jiae flatly causing her friends to stop in their moment of glee. Jiae looks them both stone cold in the eyes before reaching forward to willingly take a cup of tea, "I love it. Now pass me the sugar, I'm going to need it. All of it."

            Mijoo and Yein exchange knowing glances before passing Jiae the sugar dispenser, which she immediately starts emptying into her tea cup.

+          -           +          -           +          -           +          -

            "You're going to the Lovelyz tea shop again?"

            "You just got back from classes, you've been going all week. How do you even still have money!?"

            Jiae rolls her eyes as Mijoo and Yein nags her from behind. She ties the laces on her shoes quickly and stands back up, smoothing out her new skirt before running her hand through her hair to make sure it's styled just right still. Jiae was just about to ignore both her roommates complaining and walk out the door without another word until Mijoo jumped in front of the doorway and blocked the entire thing with her body stretched out in an odd pose.

            "No, you can't go until you answer our questions. We won't let you," huffs out Mijoo as she strains to keep the doorway blocked.

            "Yes and I have savings. Satisfied?" answers Jiae quickly, she wants to get going already since Jisoo usually runs the register by the time she gets there and it gives her a chance to talk to the other even if it's only while making an order. "Can you move now?" adds Jiae impatiently.

            "Wait, one more question!" Yein grabs on to Jiae's arm, preventing the oldest from physically prying Mijoo out of the way, "Have you at least talked to Jisoo yet? Your savings will run out eventually and if you don't make progress, Mijoo and I will step in~" Yein sounds amused at the prospect of 'helping' Jiae but the oldest shudders slightly at the thought of how much chaos both Mijoo and Yein would do if they meddled.

            Jiae gives another quick, hopefully satisfying, answer, "I have."

            "More than just giving her your order!" shout out Mijoo and Yein accusingly in unison.

            Damn, they knew her too well. No words come out of Jiae's mouth in reply to that but she does take to shaking Yein off her and pulling Mijoo out of the doorway entrance with a quick, "I'll have a real conversation with her today! Don't meddle! Don't wait up either!"

            "Wait!" Mijoo stumbles and bumps into Yein who squeaks in shock as they both try to keep their balance, however by the time they pull themselves together and poke their heads out of the door Jiae was already down the street.

            "What do you even do in there!? You don't even like the drinks! You're going to wear out your pancreas with all that sugar you're swallowing!" shouts Mijoo obnoxiously loud.

            "Study!" yells back Jiae with a careless wave before she disappears completely around the corner.

            "Study my , she didn't even bring a book," mutters Mijoo before Yein pulls Mijoo back inside their home.

            "The neighbors will complain about us shouting again," warns Yein.

            Mijoo makes a face but has to agree with Yein on that one.

            Meanwhile, Jiae takes a steady stride all the way down the familiar route to the Lovelyz tea shop that she's been walking all week. She opens the door with the little jingle from the bell on top and sees the shop isn't that busy like usual, only two other customers occupying the table near the windows for today.

            Jiae makes her way to the counter just as Jisoo comes out of the back. A warm smile lights up Jisoo's expression when she sees Jiae, "Hello, welcome to the shop. You came pretty early today, Jiae. What would you like to order?"

            There's a warm feeling building within Jiae as she grins happily at Jisoo for remembering her name from her orders. "Hi, Jisoo. Can I get the-" Jiae's eyes jump to the menu on top and picks the one she sees first, she has no preference because the sugar she pours into the drink drowns out all the supposed flavor anyways, "-iced oolong tea please?"

            "Of course, anything for our top customer," Jisoo inputs the order and looks back up at Jiae, "Would you like anything else?"

            Jiae shakes her head and Jisoo rings her up. When Jisoo goes to the back to get the order, Jiae decides to sit at the counter top seats where it should be easier for her to strike up a decent conversation with Jisoo this time around that way Mijoo and Yein can't come to drive her crazy.

            She carefully considers the conversation topics. They were all quite limited though, the only topics she could come up with were; Jisoo's day, her day, and the weather. Wow, she really needed some new pick up lines. She wasn't much of a conversationalist, she considered herself more of a listener but that's beside the point especially if she wanted to get closer to Jisoo.

            As Jiae considers further possibilities the more her confidence begins to steadily shrink. She tries reasoning herself out of this with thoughts of, maybe today isn't the right time to really strike up a conversation and she'll come back another day with better topics to bring up. With this mindset, Jiae makes a hurry to find another seat away from the counter where she can't make a fool of herself just in case something happens to slip out of while she's so close to Jisoo, plus the younger girl seemed to really like tea and Jiae doesn't want to expose her obvious dislike of the drink so easily just yet.

            As Jiae gets up from her seat and passes the counter to get a seat near the side of the store instead, she passes by the employee only door right when it opens up. Call it bad timing or just a of bad luck but in that moment Jisoo who was carrying the iced tea on the tray bumps right into Jiae, spilling the contents of the drink all over the other girl.

            Ice and liquid clatters to the ground in sloppy squishes and clinking. Jisoo gasps and Jiae cringes as looks at the stain seeping into her shirt and sticking to her skin, she's just grateful the liquid didn't spill any lower.

            "I am so sorry!" Jisoo apologizes profusely, rushing to put the tray and spilled glass onto the counter in favor of grabbing large handfuls of napkins and paper towels to hand to Jiae. "I'm really sorry, I didn't realize you were walking in front of the door, I should have been more careful. I'm so sorry, I'll pay to get your clothes cleaned. I'm really sorry."

            Jiae hurriedly rushes to calm Jisoo as she takes the offered paper towels and napkins. Her face flaming from such embarrassment, she wished she hadn't moved from her spot after all but now she's having this kind of conversation with her crush all the while covered in and smelling like tea. "It's okay, it's okay. No worries. It was my fault, I shouldn't have walked right in front of the employee door where all the orders came out from. These clothes are pretty old too so no worries, I just have to throw them in a washing machine and they're good as new."

            Jisoo didn't look convinced, "But-"

            "Really it's okay!" Jiae throws in what she hopes looks like a reassuring smile and before Jisoo can argue any further Jiae points out the safety hazard, "I think we should probably clean this up first though before someone slips and falls."

            "Ah," Jisoo looks down to the tea spilled on the floor and then back at Jiae, she seemed utterly conflicted,  "Um, okay. Let me take care of this really quick and would you mind maybe waiting in the back for me? There's a little employee lounge room you can sit in. I can't let you go out like this and I'd feel horrible all day if I couldn't make it up to you somehow. At least let me get you a jacket to cover up the stain while you go back home."

            Jiae nods understandingly, "Okay. But really you don't have to worry or anything, it was really my bad."

            "I really insist though, please? The lounge room is just around the corner near the back please take a seat anywhere." Jisoo clasps her hands together in a pleading gesture.

            Jiae couldn't say no even if she wanted to, "Alright."

            As Jisoo cleans up the mess, Jiae does take a seat in the little lounge to wait for the younger girl to come in which she does a few moments later carrying what seems to be a bag and a cute pink sweater.

            Jisoo smiles sheepishly although her eyes still reflected a hint of guilt in them, "Another cup of your order is in the bag and this is one of my loose sweaters. I think we're about the same size so if you don't mind please wear this to hide the stain until you can get home."

            The older girl thanks Jisoo and sets the bag on the table before trying on the pink sweater. A floral scent engulfs her and Jiae has to resist the urge to keep inhaling otherwise she'd come off as a weirdo to Jisoo who's still in the room with her. A thought pops up in the back of her mind and she at least found one good thing out of this situation, she actually finally had a conversation with Jisoo.

            "It fits," Jiae grins, "Thank you so much Jisoo."

            "You're welcome Jiae." Jisoo didn't seem finished with what she was going to say though and Jiae already had a feeling it was going to be another apology but she tries to come up with something before Jisoo can voice it aloud.

            Jiae tries to lighten the mood and prove that she really wasn’t mad at Jisoo for the little accident so the other didn't need to look so guilty about it. She giggles lightly to show Jisoo she was amused, "It's a good thing I didn't get hot tea today huh?"

            It works, Jisoo cracks a small smile. "Yeah, it's a really good thing."

            Jiae smiles wider feeling rather accomplished with herself. She can feel her cheeks heating up again so she changes the subject quickly to take her mind off the thought, "Um anyways, I'll be sure to come by tomorrow to bring back your jacket."

            Jisoo nods, "I'll be waiting for you."

            Jiae's heart skipped a beat. She can't wait for tomorrow to come.

+          -           +          -           +          -           +          -

            The following day came with much anticipation and quite a bit of extra baggage…

            Jiae turns to both Mijoo and Yein who decided to tag along with her after seeing the latter come home in an unfamiliar sweater and tea stained shirt.

            "Why are you guys coming with me? Didn't you both say you'll stay out of it so long as I had a proper conversation with Jisoo?"

            "You call getting tea spilled on you while your crush apologizes to you, a proper conversation?"

            Jiae holds in the urge to punch Mijoo. "Well I said more than my order at least."

            "We can help you do even better than that," adds in Yein.

            The sigh Jiae wants to release is held back because she knows anything else she says is futile so she'll save her breath as they continue on their way.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter