A Gift or a Curse?

DEATH NOTE- THE PAST TO FUTURE

Cenielle opened her eyes and saw that it was still dark. Her eyes hurt due to crying. And then she remembered the boy.
“Hello?” she sounded a bit afraid as she imagined that the boy had left her alone.

“I’m here. There’s no way I can leave you here, this place is secured,” he said as if reading Cenielle’s mind.

The boy walked towards the light and looked at the moon. “I’m Lawliet.”

“My name is Cenielle,” she said smiling, “we’re friends now, aren’t we?”

Lawliet didn’t answer and he again sat beside her.

“We haven’t eaten anything today, are you still okay?” Lawliet asked her.

Cenielle suddenly let out a gasp and stood up. Lawliet obviously startled.

“I almost forgot!” she said, as she was ing her shirt’s side pocket, “I placed it here!”

“You placed what?” Lawliet asked a bit irritated.

Cenielle suddenly knelt in front of Lawliet and showed two, large chicken legs.

“Ta-da! This one is yours!” she said offering the other leg.

And Lawliet took the chicken not knowing exactly what to say. Cenielle saw Lawliet’s expression.

“You don’t want it? Think it’s dirty? Okay…give it back…I’ll eat it for you,” Cenielle said happily.

Lawliet just stared at her for a moment and also ate his share.

After eating, Cenielle stood up and tried to reach the window but failed.

“You know, I still believe that we can still get out of here. What about you?”

Lawliet slowly lied on the cold cement floor. “Of course we will.”

Cenielle circled the entire room and then sat with her knees in front of her face, hands on her knees. And she looked directly on the floor.

“What are you doing?” Lawliet asked her puzzled.

“Oh this?” Cenielle asked while looking at the floor, “this is a way for me to think and is relaxing.”

Lawliet raised an eyebrow, “To think? I doubt it.”

Cenielle groaned, “Right, right, I’m an idiot like what you said and I’m not thinking. Well come on, try this!”

Lawliet didn’t even move to where he was lying so Cenielle came near to her and tugged his shirt. “Try it!”

“Okay, fine,” Lawliet said giving up on Cenielle’s crabbiness.
Lawliet imitated Cenielle’s stance like that of a monkeys. “So now?” Lawliet asked.

“This way the two of us can think of a way to get us out of here!” she chirped enthusiastically.

“Huh?” Lawliet asked in bewilderment.

“Okay, let’s put it this way, I’m an idiot so this sitting position increases my brain, in your case, you have nothing to gain since you appear to be smart. Then, if we sit together like this, my brain powers will be transmitted to you! If you don’t sit like this, you’ll be all alone thinking, but if both of us sit like this…uhm since I’m not half as smart as you are, let’s say that your brain powers will have additional half? Then you will be thinking supernaturally! Isn’t that great?!” Cenielle said happily.

Lawliet sighed, “What nonsense. You’re saying that my thinking would increase by 50% by sitting like this? No, let’s say 40 because you said you’re not half as smart as I am, then I would be thinking using 100 plus 40, 140 % thinking because there’s the two of us. You make yourself sound pathetic.”

Cenielle stood up, “See! You’ve increased your brain powers, you’re now talking about percent, percent I don’t even know that! This is really effective!”

“You’re just sleepy already, go to sleep.” Lawliet said as he stretched on the cold floor.

“Lawliet! Promise me you’ll sit with me like this when thinking!”

“If I do that when thinking, then I have to sit like that every time because I always think, good night.” And Lawliet closed his eyes and Cenielle grumpily rested on the floor in a fetal position.

The next morning, a thin man opened the rusty door, and gave them a savory soup and toast; both were warm and very appetizing. “Eat those within 10 minutes then I’ll bring you back to the cell,” the man said as he closed the door again.

Cenielle’s eyes were twinkling at the sight of the food and jumped up and down like a clown. She was obviously hungry and Lawliet as well, but he just stared at the food. Cenielle was about to eat the toast when Lawliet took it away from her.

“What? I’m so hungry already! Maybe they we’re sorry for locking us in here, give it back,” she said pleadingly.

But Lawliet minced the toast and poured it to the soup without saying anything.

Cenielle watched in shock, “Those are real food! Why are you wasting them?”

Then when the soup became thick due to the bread, he went to the corner of the room where a pile of dust was present and poured the soup on top of it and mixed it. He stood up after seeing that the dust was completely mixed with the food. And suddenly the door swung open.

“Sir, thank you for the food,” Lawliet said hurriedly as he turned to the thin man, “it was delicious, right Cenielle?”

Cenielle, totally lost just agreed. When the thin man saw that the tray was already empty, he led the two outside the room and escorted them to the cell.

The thin man didn’t say anything or did anything but to sniff into something like a gel in a plastic.

When they reached the cell where all the kids sleep, no other guards was present, the thin man ordered them to get inside. Almost all the other kids were still sleeping though they should have been already awake. He then cleared his throat.

“Okay people, you are to do nothing today. Just rest, sleep, do whatever you want. This is a day-off,” and the thin man walked sleepily away not caring if he was heard by the children or not.

“Hey, the ‘toothpick man’,” Cenielle started softly and Lawliet wasn’t successful in hiding a smile, “forgot to lock the exit.”

“Shush, I know…just be quiet,” he said.

“But shouldn’t we be telling the other kids? This is our chance,” Cenielle insisted.

Lawliet sighed, “We should be sure that all of us can get out of here totally before telling them or they will just make some noise and all of us will be caught up without even making up to the main exit.”

Cenielle looked down and bit her lip then faced him again, “You talk like a grown-up.”

Together, they slowly opened the exit and tiptoed quietly. They were located on the second floor and Lawliet said that they must go the third floor.

“Isn’t it strange that not even a single guard can be seen?” Lawliet said more like a statement than of a question. Cenielle just nodded while running swiftly beside Lawliet.

The entire third floor was deserted. And the doors were locked as well, only the kitchen was open but they didn’t enter there. They continued to look for what they don’t really know. And when they reached the far end of the hall, they saw a door partially opened. Lawliet peeked inside and when he was sure no one was there, they entered, closed the door and opened the lights. . Stacks of many papers greeted them and Lawliet quickly skimmed the papers one by one.

“Listen Cenielle, I’m going to recover my mother’s ancestral treasure, the ‘Tear of Diana’, it was so important for her. When I entered the kitchen yesterday, you followed me there, I discovered that the cabinets were just a mask to a hide a vault,” Lawliet explained as he was skimming, “I have a strong feeling the ‘tear’ is inside of that vault. And to be able to open a vault you have to have numbers, so just look for the ‘Tear of Diana’, I’m sure they printed the combinations. For a vault that big, it might consist of 18 to 25, 3-digit number sets. Help me please.”

“How do you know all of this?” Cenielle sounded amazed.

“We have the same vault in our house. Please help me.”

And so the two of them skimmed the papers on the table. Twenty minutes have already passed but they found nothing. There were so many papers and drawers and Lawliet himself knew what a small chance they have.

Then they heard footsteps getting louder. The two of them stared at each other knowing that the footsteps were going to where they were. Lawliet signaled to hide. Cenielle went inside a cabinet and Lawliet quickly switched off the light and hid somewhere.

The door opened widely as the big, bald guy entered the room swearing.

“I never thought that I would have to leave this haven! This is an ideal place for hiding!” the Boss madly sat on his swivel chair.

“Boss, we didn’t know that Larco sent a time package that will be sent to the police by a bank incase he was killed. Good thing my ‘tip’ called me that the raid would be tomorrow evening,” Monrow explained.

The Boss hit the table which sent papers to fly to the floor.

“The two vaults, we have to get those out of here. The one in the kitchen is smaller than the one on the 4th floor, take the vault on the 4th floor first, it’s more important,” the Boss instructed and Monrow disappeared.

The Boss took out a cigarette, burned the tip and smoked.

Cenielle’s heart was tugging very hard she could hear her own heart. She can see the Boss’ back because the cabinet has some cracks and light was entering through it. She realized that it was meant to be a clothes organizer and a single jacket was dangling loosely from a hanger.. She can fairly move inside it but she didn’t dare. She was so afraid to do so. And when she tried to step back a little, the jacket that was hanging fell beside her. She quickly turned to see if the Boss heard anything and was able to sigh in relief when the Boss didn’t move at all. She looked at the jacket and saw a piece of folded paper sticking out of the jacket’s pocket. She slowly picked the paper and unfolded it.

“ti-ih-ey-ar-ow-ef-di-ay-ey-en-ey, ‘tear of Diana!” she exclaimed to herself, “321, 652, 876, 908…so many numbers!” she uttered in her mind. After reading the front page she unconsciously turned it’s back and read, “ti-ow-pi, 768, 876,498,435…”

She was astonished by the many numbers that she has read. But hope swelled in her face knowing that she already found what they were looking for.

On the “fourth floor” many men were helping each other to move the huge vault using a machine into a truck.

“Why don’t just the boss get what’s inside so we don’t have to take this vault all the way? And what’s inside of this anyway?” asked one of the men.

“Yeah, shouldn’t we be taking the vault on the third floor first? It contains the blue diamond and gold bars, surely, nothing is more important.,” the other chimed in.

Monrow, who was observing them, approached them. “Just do what you are told.”

The Boss stood up slowly and looked at the cabinet behind him. Cenielle seemed to stop breathing inside the cabinet and trickle of sweat run down from her forehead to her chin. She swallowed hard. She had the feeling that the Boss can see right through the cabinet’s door.

Then the Boss suddenly turned away and went outside the room. Cenielle felt her knees weakened and she fell to her knees still feeling the nervousness in her. was dry and she just stared at the paper. Out of nowhere, Lawliet ran to the cabinet and opened it, and he saw Cenielle pale and breathing heavily.

He helped Cenielle out of the cabinet slowly, “Hey? Are you okay?”

Cenielle slowly looked at Lawliet’s eyes, and then she stared at the floor not saying anything. Lawliet obviously worried, shook Cenielle lightly. “Say something.”

Then Cenielle giggled frantically, “I found it,” and she then showed the crumpled paper to Lawliet. Lawliet grabbed the paper and examined it and gave it back to Cenielle because his hands were getting sweaty and afraid that the numbers would be erased. .

“Yes! You found it!” Lawliet exclaimed. And in no time, he grabbed Cenielle’s hands and pulled her to the kitchen.

“We got to be fast!”

They ran towards the kitchen. Lawliet’s mind was racing. He could feel that he could really retrieve the ‘tear’. They slowly entered the kitchen and when they were already inside it, the door was locked suddenly by someone waiting for them.

“Oh little rats, what are you doing here?” a man full of tattoos asked them from behind and the two of them turned shocked.

Lawliet held Cenielle’s arm tightly as the man approached them. They were already cornered. Cenielle could feel the trembling in Lawliet’s hand.

“You are supposed to be asleep with the other kids forever.”

Lawliet’s action earlier about the food became clear suddenly to Cenielle. The food contains poison. That’s why the kids were still lying on the floor even though they should have been awake already.

“I’ll tell you the truth. We will be leaving tonight, out of the country. And we’ll burn this place down. You’ll be in here of course,” the man smiled, “do you get my point?” and he kicked the two children very hard.

Lawliet fell on the spot and Cenielle, due to the force flew hard against the steel cabinet and was sprawled on the floor flat on her stomach. She felt numb and she suddenly felt very sleepy.

“What would he do to us if he learned we are to open the vault?” Lawliet asked himself already knowing the answer. He tried to look at Cenielle’s direction but Cenielle was facing the cabinets.

On the other hand, Cenielle tried to take the paper on cautiously and swallowed it. Thinking that the tattoo man would go ballistic if he found they’re holding the keys for the vault. And after that closed her eyes tightly remembering what Lawliet told her while they were running.

“If somebody saw us and harmed us, pretend to have fainted, no matter what, don’t open your eyes until I say so.”

The man poked Lawliet, the boy didn’t move, he poked the girl but also didn’t budge. He saw earlier that the girl was holding a paper when they entered the kitchen so he searched the hands and the pockets and even the mouth of the girl. The man smiled to himself, “Oh man, what made me think that these two kids were planning to steal the diamond? They don’t even have the keys,” he said out lout.

And assuming that the kids already fainted due to his kick, went outside the kitchen not even bothering to close the door.

When the man was gone, Lawliet crawled slowly towards Cenielle. His stomach was aching but he managed to sit up and he patted Cenielle’s cheek.

“Cenielle, he’s gone, can you move?” he said softly.

Cenielle nodded, afraid to tell Lawliet about the keys already being digested in her stomach.

Lawliet opened one of the steel cabinets and showed a small way. “This is the passage to the vault,” he said.

They went inside the hole and inside was so hot. And when they reached the end of the hole, they got up and saw the vault big enough to occupy the entire room. It was dimly lit.

Lawliet touched the vault, and run his palm on it as if feeling something. “Here it is,” he muttered as he pushed a red button, a slide appeared from under the button containing more buttons with numbers on it and a small screen saying “enter keys” on the edge of it.

“Cenielle, give me the paper.”

Cenielle looked nervous, “I heard the Boss there are two vaults in this place, maybe the ‘tear’ is in the other, don’t you think so?”

Lawliet looked impatient. “I know that, but at least, we will be sure. If the diamond is not here, then it is in the other, give me the paper, we’re running out of time.”

She slowly went to stand in front of the slide with the number buttons. “I swallowed the paper.”

Lawliet’s eyes widened, “What?” and he felt weak and has to lean on the vault for support. “We’ll never be able to open this thing.” He said bleakly.

Cenielle suddenly pushed the buttons one by one and Lawliet, shocked at what Cenielle was doing, stopped her by grabbing her arm.

“Are you crazy? One wrong number and an alarm would be activated!” he said breathlessly.

But Cenielle continued to type the numbers. She can still clearly remember the numbers as if she was reading it. “I remember it.” She said with amazement in her voice.

“That’s impossible! It has 24, 3-digit numbers sets!” Lawliet explained.

But Cenielle continued to type it, “321, 652, 876, 908, 865, 324…I remember it,” she said firmly.

And Lawliet just stared at her in awe and after she entered the 24, 3-digit set, and pressed enter, an unlocking click sounded.

“You have photographic memory,” Lawliet said in surprise.