Stargazing

Stargazing

Aubrey had a lot on his mind. The kinds of things that would usually become a woeful hit track, were lumped in his head ; thick and heavy like the still before a thunderstorm on a sticky summer eve. He tried to write, but it was impossible to articulate. His hotel room felt suffocating, but he didn’t want to call upon his usual entourage for an outing. He just needed a little change of scenery, a little air. 

 

The blistery Toronto weather was a welcome contrast to the stuffiness of his room as Aubrey made his way across the grounds of the compound to the outdoor basketball courts. The NBA had set them up with some pretty nice digs for All Star Weekend. A little night shooting would be a great way to clear his head. 

 

As he approached the courts, he could hear a ball bouncing off the backboard, and thumping to the ground, followed by dribbles that echoed loudly off the concrete. He fully expected to be alone out there at 2am, but it seemed that someone else was restless as well.

 

A looming figure came into view; Kris Wu. His long limbs moved a bit awkwardly and his broad shoulders and large hands seemed to belong to someone else entirely. He had a bit of a goofy appearance, but somehow it all fit together well. Aubrey snickered at the thought. 

 

Despite his somewhat cumbersone build, Kris was NICE on the court, and quite charismatic. He was a G and he didn’t even know it. Aubrey wasn’t sure if it was his size, or his demeanor, but every time Kris spoke, everyone stopped to listen and every time Kris moved, everyone stopped to watch, as if he’d been exactly who they’d been waiting for. 

 

He wasn’t quiet, but he didn’t waste words either. If he was speaking, he had something to say. He wasn’t the type to talk just to hear the sound of his voice. However, he couldn’t be described as serious either. He was funny and bright. He smiled and laughed and had his share of witty comments here and there. 

 

Right now he was alone, the tall court lights casting his long shadow onto the concrete. He was in basketball shorts, leggings, and a puffy waist jacket, taking shots from the 3 point line. He didn’t seem to notice the other man’s approach. Aubrey was always entranced by how much Kris looked like an athlete when he played. No traces of his slightly hulking movement off the court. Every motion felt calculated and sure.

 

Kris paused as Aubrey came close enough for him to hear his footfalls, turning to greet him with a winning smile as he tucked the ball under his arm. Aubrey found himself automatically grinning back at Wu; as his sweatshirt read.

 

“You’re up late.” He called out from the low row of bleachers he was settling onto.

 

“Couldn’t sleep Drake.” Kris replied, zipping his jacket and shuffling over toward the bleachers.

 

“Same,” Aubrey sighed as Kris deposited himself beside him. “By the way, call me Aubrey; my friends call me Aubrey.”

 

“My friends call me 8-ball,” Kris said with a smirk, running his large hand over his low buzz cut. “but don’t call me that.”

 

Aubrey let a faint giggle escape.

 

“Oh you think that’s funny man?” Kris pouted

 

Aubrey covered his mouth as he smiled. “You brought it up man. I wasn’t gonna say nothing. You don’t look like the blonde dude in the pictures I saw.”

 

“It’s for a film.” Kris explained.  . . “ So, you looked me up?”

 

“Something like that.”

 

“Drake.. looked up Kris Wu?”

 

“Aubrey, call me Aubrey.” 

 

Aubrey was staring. He didn’t mean to stare, but as Kris brought a bottle of water to his tiny mouth it looked like a bottle for a newborn in Kris’s huge hands. Huge body, long arms, small face, HUGE hands, tiny mouth; What kind of cartoonish proportions…? It should have looked odd as hell, but it was charming.

 

“So what’s on your mind?” Kris asked.

 

“Huh?” Aubrey snapped out of it.

 

“You said you couldn’t sleep”

 

“Oh, oh yeh. Just.. I’ve got some things going on, thought I’d come shoot, get rid of some of that nervous energy.”

 

“So let’s shoot.”

 

“I don’t think I feel like it anymore. I feel a lot more at ease now. Maybe I just needed to be around somebody chill.”

 

Aubrey’s mood began to improve immediately upon running into Kris. He watched him more than his brain would allow him to admit, wanted to talk to him like this, way more than he’d say out loud.

 

This guy had a whole tribe of fan girls running amok all over. He’d never seen anything like it. Aubrey knew it was the pettiest thought ever, but he somehow felt like he’d won a competition, because he has Kris all to himself.

 

“Aubrey you buggin” he said to himself in a barely audible whisper, but he couldn’t stop smiling. He scooted down off the bleachers. “I win,” he whispered as he lied down on the blacktop to look at the sky, hands behind his head. He heard the light rustling of fabric, as Kris came to rest next to him, long body sprawled out.

 

“What are we doing man?” Kris asked, turning to look at him.

 

“Just.. thinking.. or maybe.. not thinking. Just not thinking.”

 

“What do you think about when you’re not thinking?” Kris asked.

 

“Right now I’m thinking about the stars.”

 

“Doesn’t that count as thinking?”

 

“Man, you’re kinda ruining this!” Aubrey laughed.

 

“No I’m not.” Kris replied, glancing over at the other man again, “you’re smilng.”

 

Aubrey paused. He was definitely smiling. He peered over at Kris, who was still looking at him. It was a cold night, but Kris was close enough for him to feel the warmth radiating off of him onto his side. His breath was visible in light wisps that curled out of his mouth, and up his face before disappearing near his ears. Drake imagined he looked similar. He’d been looking at Kris now, for what should have been an uncomfortably long amount of time, but the other didn’t seem to mind.

 

Kris broke the silence first.

 

“Aubrey… whatever you’re going through… it’ll be ok.”

 

His voice sounded definite, like Kris knew something he didn’t, like he could see the future.

 

Aubrey didn’t respond, he just let it sink it, returning his gaze to the sky. He scooted over a bit, closing the small gap between Kris and himself. Now they were laying firmly against one another’s side, aubrey’s head leaning lightly against Kris’s puffer jacket.”

 

“It’s a little chilly.” Aubrey explained.

 

“Yeah… this is even better” Kris untucked one down jacket clad arm from behind his head, outstretching it. Aubrey took the cue, lifting his head and resting it on said arm.

 

They just lied there that way, watching their breaths disappear into the stars until their thoughts drifted away and the night air became to cold to bear.