Almost

Almost
Please log in to read the full chapter

* * * * *

 

Team mates – a very accurate definition of their relationship. Their rare conversations simply revolved around work-related matters. That alone and nothing else.

 

When her phone vibrated signalling a new message from him, she was almost certain it was about work. After all, he had asked for her number during one occasion last week.

 

Her eyebrows furrowed. Receiving a message from the person she rarely had a conversation with was the last thing she expected. 

 

Hi Dara-ssi. This is Baekhyun. What time will you be going to the mall?

 

Their company, as a way of relieving the employees' stress, decided to give free movie passes. She had almost decided not to go. But boredom suddenly struck her.

 

She remembered him mentioning about it at the birthday party last week. She thought he’d forget.

 

In less than half a minute, he responded. 

 

I'll be there around that time too. Let's meet up? Only if you have no one to accompany you.

 

She didn’t find that suspicious at all.

 

When they saw each other, there was a mild feeling of awkwardness. She would have thanked him for accompanying her but she held back when their other teammates arrived. She thought she saw a cloud of disappointment pass over his open and friendly face. This she observed after looking at him subtly. He was too busy looking away while mildly fidgeting.

 

She thought that would be the end of the unexpected messages. She was dead wrong.

 

And so it began, the non-work related exchange...

 

What do you hate most in a guy?

 

She almost choked on her coffee one Saturday morning. That was a hundred degree turn from work-related matters they usually talked about. She couldn't help but wonder why he asked. But she answered anyway.

 

I don't like arrogant guys.

 

She was being honest. And curious enough that she asked what he hated most in a girl. Her mind automatically reasoned that she was only returning the favor. She took the bookmarked book and resumed reading.

 

I don't like girls who are vain. Who talk too much ‘nonsense’, and always frowns.

I like someone who's simple.

 

His questions continued to stray away from work. But she didn’t mind. The longer the conversation went, the more she enjoyed their exchange.

 

How can you tell if a guy likes you?

 

That took her a long while to answer. She put aside the book she had been reading while lying on the sofa.

 

To be honest, I have no idea.

 

Are you serious!? O_O

 

I am. Why do you seem so surprised??

 

She wasn’t expecting him to answer that.

 

He didn’t.

 

You really are different. 

My girl friends---they know if someone likes them. 

They can feel it. It's what they call instinct.

 

I guess I don't have that in me. \^_^/

 

She tried to joke about her lack of it.

 

Maybe you loved him too much---

 

Now what was this all about bringing up her ex-boyfriend? She decided to change the subject.

 

Can you tell if a girl likes you?

 

She waited for him to call her out on changing the subject but he didn’t.

 

Yes. I know if she likes me or not. 

But when it comes to the girl I love, I can't tell if she likes me. 

Maybe that's the reason why I can't confess to her.

Anyway, do you think you're finally over him?

 

Yes.

 

She answered without hesitation. It was the truth. As much as she wanted to probe into the subject of confessing, she held herself back. It was a very personal matter.

 

That's good to know. It'll difficult to love again when you aren't over him yet.

 

She was about to reply but then another message came.

 

I have another question, and you can choose not to answer it. May I?

 

Go ahead.

 

Do you like Chen? He's a good guy.

 

Now why was he asking such a thing? She decided to answer anyway. Safely.

 

He's nice. It's not difficult to like him.

 

She didn't feel like elaborating on that.

 

That's nice. I always tell my friends that they should use their mind.

As for you, use both – the heart and the mind.

You need to like and love the person.

Your secret is safe with me, even Chen wouldn't know unless you tell him yourself ~_^

 

YAH! What are you talking about? I didn't say I like him.

 

kekeke. Goodnight. Just send me a message, ask me anything when you've got nothing to do ^_^

 

* * * * *

 

On the subject of insensitivity, she found herself engaged in a prolonged texting with Baekhyun.

 

Either of them brought up the subject of sleeping. She told him that she’s insensitive when he asked about one particular thing she wished she wasn’t.

 

It's not a bad thing. But sometimes, it's better if you're sensitive. As I've said before, if I love the girl, I can't sense her feelings for me, if there ever was any. Therefore, we're the same—I'm insensitive too, I guess.

 

On watching movies alone, which she thought of trying, he had a very reasonable answer.

 

I've watched a movie alone. And it didn't feel good. Don't even try it. Why would you like to do that when you can ask someone to go with you? I think Chen is not a busy person ~_^

 

He was clearly making fun of her. Playing the matchmaker. She chose to ignore that.

 

On being a shy person, he had a remark.

 

Why don't you try to be talkative for once?

 

I tried and it only made me feel uncomfortable >_< I prefer listening to people rather than talking.

What are you doing by the way, besides texting?

 

I'm watching a movie. It's about a woman who chose not to hold onto someone who does not love her.

 

That gave her the idea to ask: Have you ever let go of someone and for what reason?

 

Always. When it's for a friend of mine.

 

Have you loved someone who doesn't love you?

 

She threw questions quite avidly.

 

Yes. But as I’ve said, I’m not sure about her feelings.

 

Then talk to her.

 

It’s not that easy.

What about you, have you loved someone who doesn't love you?

 

I’ve liked someone who doesn’t like me ^_^

 

You're playing safe; you don't love at once.

By the way, how could you tell if he doesn't like you?

Did he say it? Didn't you say you couldn't tell if anyone has feelings for you?

 

It was just a hunch that he doesn’t have feelings since he didn’t say it.

I’d rather assume that. It would be very condescending of me if I assume otherwise.

 

Back on the subject of letting go, wherein he wouldn’t pursue a girl his friend likes, he started opening up.

 

In the past, I have liked a girl. But a friend of mine was the first to admit that he likes her.

What I did was, I brought them closer. But the girl asked me why it couldn’t be me in

Please log in to read the full chapter