Final

you turned around (and you stole my heart)

Warning: Swearing

 


 

When it comes to his house mate, Park Jimin is careful not to overstep his boundaries. He knows that Jungkook specifically doesn’t like it when people touch his things, but the man has an unbelievable ability to bring about a dozen manila folders into their humble abode, full of documents Jimin can only hope won’t cause their household trouble in future.

 

Jungkook likes to stack his folders, and that’s okay, it saves space, Jimin likes that, but when he finds a stack of abandoned folders in his own room that he doesn’t recognise as his own property, he decides that today would be the day he crosses those boundaries for the sake of a somewhat clean home.

 

He gathers all the documents and folders he can find, bewildered at how Jungkook had managed to forget that he’d placed a few pieces of paper about a robbery case the police have long since solved in the fridge, and takes them all to Jungkook’s office, which is the only part of the house Jimin isn’t allowed inside since Jungkook treats it like an extension of the police station. Go inside without permission? Jungkook will know. His senses are kind of what got him a job in law enforcement.

 

There are many things Jimin expects to find in there; more folders, a desk with a computer - maybe even a typewriter if Jungkook felt traditional with his reports, stacks and stacks of paper upon paper, handy manuals about all sorts of police officer stuff, but he definitely doesn’t expect to run into a dude wearing a red jacket, hood shadowing his face as he lifts his head to stare at Jimin who can only stare back at him in surprise.

 

Jimin’s pretty sure he’s gawking, because he’s never seen Jungkook wear something as vibrant as what the person is wearing in front of his eyes no matter how many times his house mate had insisted his favourite colour is red. Jungkook had left for work only a few hours ago, the guy isn’t supposed to come home until dinner time and Jimin has barely prepared himself breakfast, so the guy in Jungkook’s office couldn’t possibly be Jungkook, which could only mean that the house had been broken into by a dude in a bright red jumper.

 

“Holy .” Jimin curses, realisation finally dawning on him that whoever this person is, definitely does not belong in Jungkook’s office (unless of course Jungkook’s been hiding a person in here all this time and Jimin had never been informed). “What the .”

 

The guy in red raises his hands very slowly, like he’s been caught by the police and is being commanded to place his hands where they could be clearly seen, dropping whatever he had been holding previously - a folder much like the ones in Jimin’s arms, back onto Jungkook’s desk.

 

“I- I can explain-” The dude in red says, but Jimin catches his attention, halting the intruder mid-sentence as the other begins to laugh. A lot. Jimin has to ask himself why he’s laughing, he should really be calling Jungkook and telling him to come home asap, but he’s amused, extremely amused that the thief - or whatever he is, is clearly not looking for a successful break in with what he’s wearing.

 

As the housemate of a police officer, he’s been told to expect unplanned visits from people who are not exactly what Jungkook considers his friends or friends of the law. Jimin normally stays at home, since his job is mainly online and doesn’t require him to go further than a metre from his bed, and in the time that he has lived with Jungkook he has never experienced these visits Jungkook tells him about before - until now. And his reaction to a random person showing up inside his house? Not exactly what Jungkook would call professional and safe conduct against the face of crime.

 

“Are you stealing from someone else’s house in a bright red jumper? Don’t you think you’re being a little too . . . bold with your fashion choices here?” Jimin wants to ask, but he keeps quiet and continues to hold the intruder where they stand with his stare, enough to hopefully distract the other while he reaches to the back pocket of his jeans for his phone in order to speed dial Jungkook.

 

They’d long since set up a procedure or ‘code’ as they liked to call it when Jungkook had still been a noob in the police force, so that when Jimin rings Jungkook and he doesn’t say “dingle berries” within the first fifteen seconds of the call, it’s an emergency and it’s an urgent plea for Jungkook to get his where Jimin’s is. The code stuck, and a couple of years later it’s still the only SOS code they have.

 

He’s successful in alerting Jungkook, and the intruder doesn’t seem to have noticed, so Jimin calmly makes his way forward, dropping his stare so the other can relax and placing the folders he is holding on the corner of Jungkook’s desk. He awkwardly flashes a smile at the other boy, and he’s surprised to see him smile back, albeit the smile is clearly forced but Jimin doesn’t mind. The guy has a nice fake smile for a trouble maker, it really looks like he doesn’t know what he’s doing.

 

“I’m Jimin. Park Jimin.” There’s probably a rule somewhere about not introducing one’s self to people who have illegally trespassed into their homes that Jimin’s currently blatantly breaking, and he’s certain he’s definitely broken the “don’t talk to strangers” rule that all the adults stressed when he had been younger, but he figures if he strikes up a nice conversation with the boy in the red jumper, the boy might get distracted from the idea of escaping since Jimin’s not sure he can man handle a person and keep them in the premises long enough for Jungkook to arrive and take care of things. “I live here?” He says in a questioning tone, though he’s not sure why. “And uh, this is a police officer’s office, by the way.”

 

“I figured.” The boy answers, Jimin watching him lower his arms from the air and resettle them at his sides. Jimin gets a good look at his face, deciding to remember important features just in case Jimin messes up and the boy slips from his grasp, having to remind himself that no, breaking and entering into someone’s house to steal something is definitely not cute, at all, but yes, the boy does have an adorable face.

 

“So why are you here?” Jimin wonders, wanting to hear more of the boy’s voice - obviously so that he can remember what he sounds like as a precaution, just in case Jimin loses him, and they have to track him down again.

 

“I murdered someone.”

 

There’s a small pang of fear in Jimin’s gut when he hears this, and he can’t help but inch about a good foot away from where he originally stood to add a bit more distance between the two of them. Now he’ll definitely make sure he remembers the boy’s face and voice, that’ll only be useful if he makes it through this encounter alive.

 

“Your friend has files I want to burn. I was just getting it. I don’t intend to kill anyone today, so don’t worry.” The boy seems to sense his discomfort, and cracks a smile. “You’re too cute to be killed.”

 

Jimin is creeped out, because 1) he’s not just standing in a room with a thief anymore - but a killer too, 2) he’s not sure how he knows Jungkook is his friend, and 3) the killer just called him cute. Jimin’s flattered, but also kind of terrified. He kind of feels like taking back what he thought before about the boy being cute, but he can’t, because it’s true.

 

“I’m sure you’ve heard of me on the news or something. They call me Red Riding Hood,” Jimin does not, in fact, watch the news, so he had no idea who Red Riding Hood had been until this moment. He’s pretty sure he would’ve handled the situation differently had he known or recognised a known killer. Maybe laughed less and done more running. Red continues, pinching the fabric of his jumper. “I have a tendency to wear red clothes when I’m out and about, but you know, I prefer to be called Suga more. It requires less letters.”

 

Jimin’s glad he’s getting the ‘nice conversation’ he had initially wanted at the beginning but now he’s not sure he wants it anymore. He starts to pray Jungkook will arrive soon when he sees Suga place his hands inside the pockets of his jumper, and he can only pray Suga’s true to his words and that he’s really not out to kill anybody today.

 

“Do you mind?” Suga asks, nodding at the folder he’d dropped before when Jimin came into the room on Jungkook’s desk, but just as Jimin is about to indignantly protest, he hears the front door opening and heavy footsteps making their way towards them.

 

It doesn’t take that long for Jungkook to reach them, worry vivid in his expression. When he lays eyes on the two figures in his office, specifically Suga, Jimin is surprised to see Jungkook remain where he stands, the worry dissolving from his face as he slowly shakes his head.

 

“Seriously? Min Yoongi is the reason for your dingle berries?” Jungkook sighs, the disbelief in his tone makes Jimin enter a whole new dimension of confusion.

 

“He broke into your office.” Jimin attempts to explain, but Jungkook just starts to laugh.

 

“Jimin, this guy is Yoongi. He’s one of the technicians in our department who lost a $500 bet, and now has to clean my office for me.” Jimin glances over at Yoongi who catches his look and smiles back sheepishly. He feels a wave of annoyance once his confusion clears up, as he realises he’s been heavily pranked by a guy he doesn’t even know, who was associated with his housemate this entire time. And Jimin thought this day would be his last only a few minutes ago.

 

Jungkook turns to Yoongi, frowning. “You got here like three hours ago, and my office still looks the same.”

 

“I’m a technician, Jungkook. I’m not meant to sort through our department’s trash. Why did you even keep this report on a missing pair of Georgio Armani pants?” Yoongi picks up the same folder that Jimin had walked into him holding earlier in their meeting, shaking it in front of Jungkook. “You have all of the archive’s stupidest reports so far.”

 

“So,” Jimin cuts in, reminding the other two of his presence. “you’re not really a murderer?”

 

Yoongi laughs, shaking his head. “I’m just a technician.”

 

Jimin smiles, and out of being met with an awkward situation, he starts laughing again, both at his foolishness and because he’s really, really relieved that 1) he might not die today, and 2) he might be able to ask Yoongi if he’d like to hang out sometime, which he’ll probably only do once he gets over the shock (and annoyance) of being pranked.

 

An hour later, and after Yoongi and Jungkook have driven back to the station to finish their day shift, Jimin receives a text.

 

hey, it’s RRH/Suga/Yoongi. i got ur number from jungkook so pls don’t be surprised. i just wanted to text and say sorry, i pranked you and all. i got the feeling you were actually terrified of me for a second there >.<

 

Jimin doesn’t reply, but saves the number under ‘Little Red’. Having Min Yoongi’s number will definitely prove useful in future for the time when Jimin decides to get back at him for his prank, or maybe to ask him out for lunch, granted he really isn’t a murderer, otherwise he’d much prefer to discuss that over dinner.