Year by Year

Year by Year

I live my life year by year. Why? It's simple really. Every year the doctor tells me something else that he has discovered with me, or my system, or just my body in general. Every year it seems to get worse. Strange allergies, ridiculously late discoveries, something shutting down because of something iously undetected- a new ailment once a year. My body is like a ticking time bomb. At this rate I'm just waiting for him to tell me I have some type of cancer or that my heart is working too hard and it will eventually just shut down all together.

 

Last year, we discovered I have diabetes. What will it be this year? Time for the good old tonsils to be removed? Or the appendix? Do I still have that? What surgery or expensive procedure do I need next? I can still remember him telling me I have asthma. Or how about the strep throat symptoms that ARE strep, but don't TEST as strep- so it can't be strep. What's wrong this year, doc? Anything important? Anything life threatening?
"Lee Taemin?" Oh, it's a new doctor. He's younger than the previous ones.
I nod my head, "That's me."
"Well, Taemin- we have a slight problem."
"What's it this year?" The test results from last week should have come in yesterday, I don't understand why I was called in... Maybe this is the year 'Lee Taemin, you have cancer.'
He shook his head, "Nothing for you, nothing at all. It's me that has the problem, and you're the cure."
"That doesn't sound like cancer to me..." I mumbled.
"What?" I shot up to look at him again.
"Wait, what did you say?" I walked across the room until I was right in front of him, "The cure? I'm in here every year with one thing or another how on Earth can I be the cure to anything?"
"There's one thing that you can cure, trust me on this. I have seen you coming in and out of here for years. I know what issue you were last diagnosed with and how angry you've become over  the years. I know that you are the one and only cure for what I have."
"Seriously? You are ridiculous. There's nothing I can cure- where's the doctor? Seriously, are you a stalker? What happened to doctor and patient confidentiality?" I tried pushing past him, but he grabbed my arm.
"My father owns this clinic. You're my cure- only you can fill the other half of my heart. I have watched you from a distance for a while and... it's you. It has to be you. Please? Taemin, give me a chance?"
I glared at him for a moment, "Did you read my files?" The boy just nodded, "You know everything that's wrong with me? How messed up my entire body is?" He nodded again although he looked a little troubled, "We can be friends."
A smile lit up his face instantly, "I would like that."
The year I turned nineteen was the first year I wasn't diagnosed, but it's the year I discovered the person I would forever be the 'cure' for. The same person I 'cure' everyday, the same man that cures me, Ever since that year, I have only been diagnosed with something horrible one other time- and an appendicitis surgery isn't that bad compared to everything I thought I was meant to go through. So now, instead of living year by year and diagnosis by diagnosis, I live day by day, kiss by kiss, and "I love you" by "I love you." Love has changed my perspective on time- and life. 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I couldn't decide on who that should be that Taemin ends up with so.... it's up to you! ^-^ You like 2min- there ya go! JongTae is more your cup of tea- Jonghyun it the son! OnTae- bahbam! TaeKey- hello son of the doctor Key! ^-^ Enjoy! Thanks for reading (and commenting if you so choose)! ^-^
~BaiLingLing <3