Chapter 03

The Vow

The Third Story

 

"Okay."

Jonghwa's voice echoed inside the hall as it was so quiet. Everyone looked at him, as if he has gone insane but Jonghwa was quite a daring fellow that he looked straight into Sangbae's eyes who also agreed as he poured the liquor and drank it in one gulp and nodded his head.

"Good. Continue the party."

The party continued as the instrument started to play again, and Sangbae slightly tiled his head as he looked at Jonghwa. Kyungtak also looked at Jonghwa with his face coloured with the white veil.

 

*

 

As the party finished, Daewon saw all the people rushing out the hall. Daewon was on top of the roof looking at the prince only all this time, then his eyes were on Sangbae. He looked at him while squinting his eyes and scratched his head. I saw him somewhere... at that time, Sangbae stumbled to the side which Kyungtak quickly held him on the side. Daewon had his eyes on the white veiled person. I didn't know that there was someone else who took care of the King... he looked at them closely and there was other two who was beside the King. Three of them. He then noticed Jonghwa also standing next to them which made Daewon poke his head up abit more. At the same time, Kyungtak who was holding on to Sangbae looked up at the roof which made Daewon hide under.

Did he see me... once again, Daewon poked his head out. But there was no one to be seen that he sighed in relief and lay on the roof.

"It is late at night..."

But I still... need to be careful...

 

*

 

The door to the King's room slid open, and Sangbae got taken to his bed by Kyungtak who went back standing next to Heojun. Sangbae made a gesture towards Heojun which he walked towards Jonghwa and grabbed him by the collar and went close to his ears and whispered.

"... take good care of him. If you don't want to die."

I... really think that staying with the King would be much better. I should try and stay away from him... Jonghwa thought as he nodded his head in reply, Heojun made Jonghwa stand infront of him.

"... you can go out now."

Sangbae tiredly told the rest to go out as he lay on his bed. Heojun was the one who walked out first, then Jaeho who softly laughed as he walked out and there was Kyungtak who stopped as he walked past Jonghwa, and stared at him for a few second as he walked out of the room. The door behind Jonghwa closed, and that's when he realised that it now has started.

"Sit."

Jonghwa didn't know what to do, that he just sat at the chair that was near the door. Sangbae was lying on his bed, looking at Jonghwa and without a word he kept on staring at him. Jonghwa swallowed his saliva as he was getting nervous since it felt so awkward staring at him like that. Sangbae suddenly put his hand up, and Jonghwa just followed that movement with his eyes.

"Come closer."

At that moment, Jonghwa got more nervous. He stood up from his seat and walked towards Sangbae. When he was near the King, Sangbae tapped on his bed as he looked into Jonghwa's eyes which told him to sit beside him. When Jonghwa carefully sat on the King's bed, with his hand Sangbae his back which made him close his eyes. When Jonghwa felt his touch, he felt the chills coming from his body.

Sangbae sat up from his bed, and pressed his lips on Jonghwa's neck which made Jonghwa opened his eyes wide in shock as he faced Sangbae who seemed to pull a smile on his face as he seemed to enjoy his reaction.

"Yes, this is much better. It's better if you look at me from close."

Sangbae began to lean his body towards Jonghwa.

"Why... don't you like it? Don't you like me... touching you?"

When Sangbae said that, Jonghwa who had his eyes lowered looked straight back into Sangbae's eyes, he looked determined.

"... I am... not here to do these things with you."
"... then what?"
"I am here because of the bet. I don't know if you asked for this as a playful joke... but this got my life on it..."

Jonghwa swallowed his saliva once more before he spoke towards the King, to hide the fear in his voice. Then, Sangbae stared into Jonghwa's eyes, it was so cold but then he started to laugh out loud.

"... yes, I was being ignorant. When your life depends on you."

Sangbae lay back down on his bed and Jonghwa looked away from him. He was afraid from the time when Sangbae looked at him so coldly, and he could still feel that he is staring at him.

 

*

 

Heojun and Jaeho was standing between the King's room outside. Heojun was standing straight and Jaeho was squatting down, leaning his face on his hand as he yawned.

"... Jaeho."
"Yes~"
"Stand straight."

Jaeho turned his head to face Heojun.

"... you seem so odd when taking care of the King."
"That is what we are suppose to do."
"Then why don't you do it with Kyungtak."

Kyungtak... when he heard his name, he closed his eyes and Jaeho who didn't like that shook his head while looking at Heojun that he didn't like that reaction.

"Do you still like him?"
"... I am not here to talk nonsense with you."

Jaeho spoke to himself as he looked away from Heojun. 'You get on my nerves.' Jaeho snapped back at him.

"Do you know that?"
"?"
"You get on my nerves."
"What?"
"Is Kyungtak so special to you as much as the King?"
"... what are you talking about."

Jaeho turned his face towards the floor.

"... I am just saying that you are really biased, King or Kyungtak. You only have them inside your head."
"Jaeho."
"Yeah... to you... I'm just bothersome and annoying."

'Nevermind.' Jaeho stood up from his spot, looked away and leaned on the wall. Heojun tilted his head as he looked at Jaeho.

"No, It's not what you think."

When Heojun said that, Jaeho turned his head to face him again. Heojun looked away from Jaeho as he continued speaking to him.

"Well, sometimes I do feel annoyed but... I know that you are not a bad person, Jaeho."
"I told you. N-nevermind! stop..."

Jaeho felt himself fluttering as his face turned red, that he looked away from Heojun as he turned his body towards the wall as he lean his head on the wall.

 

*

 

At the same time, Kyungtak was outside to go out on patrol. What was the thing I saw before... he thought as he jumped towards the roof as he looked around the place. Suddenly, Kyungtak stopped as he felt the sword pointing out his way. There was no soldiers to be seen. Kyungtak quickly moved to the side as he dodged the sword with his sheath. It was so close that he nearly got his arm injured if it wasn't for his sheath. Kyungtak pulled his veil up a little to see who the person attacked him. It was Daewon who was smirking, under his black veil.

"... yes, I knew that you weren't a easy one."

As soon as he said that, Daewon pointed his sword towards Kyungtak again and ran towards him. Kyungtak also took his sword out from his sheath. Their swords met two, three times and Daewon took his veil off. Kyungtak started to tremble as soon as he saw Daewon's face. He took hold of his sword tightly and tried to hide from shaking.

"Isn't that veil of yours, disturbing. Take it off."

Kyungtak didn't say anything and Daewon lowered his face.

"... ah... I heard that there's one guard who is mute... is that you? I know you can't speak... but you can still hear... so I guess you know what I am saying right now. Is it hard to take your veil off? Then... I will help you with that."

Daewon got his sword aiming towards the veil and swinging his sword few times to get his veil off but Kyungtak kept on blocking it.

"Your skill has gone better but..."

Kyungtak spoke softly which made Daewon stop fighting back.

"... you still need to develop your skills."
"... what?"
"As usual... you can't go against me."

As soon as Kyungtak finished his words, he took his veil away. Daewon's face stiffened as he saw who it was and Kyungtak stared into his eyes as he made a sad smile.

"Still... you improved a lot."

Daewon dropped his sword. Kyungtak just looked at Daewon without doing anything. Daewon didn't understand what was happening but he went back to reality and bent down to grab his sword again.

"... who are you."

There was silence.

"The hyung-nim I know died 6 years ago from protecting our country. But, why are you here with the same face as hyung-nim? Who are you."

Daewon's voice was trembling and his whole body shook so much. Kyungtak couldn't say anything, he kept his mouth shut as he still had his eyes on Daewon who also looked back at him with longing and also with hatred. 

"Yes... I know who you are now. You are a devil. The devil... who put on a same face as hyung-nim..."

'Take it off.' Daewon pointed his sword towards Kyungtak. Daewon's tears rolled down to his cheeks.

"You are not my Hyung-nim so take that face off!!!"

 

*

 

Jonghwa had his eyes on the door, without a word. This was his chance, and his only chance. Jonghwa touched the short sword that he hid under the clothes in his arms. 

"... have you killed someone before."

When he heard Sangbae asking that, Jonghwa stopped breathing for a second and then stopped touching the sword as he shook his head.

"No... I haven't."
"Is that so... when killing someone... it's better to kill them in one go. Don't give them a chance... and if you ever tried killing a person and they still have their breath staying on... you will feel guilty and will live in guilt... so you have to kill them in one go. That's how... you will live without guilt."

Sangbae closed his eyes. Jonghwa turned to see Sangbae with the corner of his eyes. His hair was messed up, and his clothes were abit opened. Still... the King... who I met 6 years ago... didn't look as bad as now... even though he was our enemy... he didn't look so bad. Jonghwa looked away. Am I... hesitating... what for... hah... why am I so weak... Jonghwa stood up from the spot and took his short sword out of his arms. Sangbae as usual, had his eyes closed laying on his bed. 

I've been dreaming about this. I'm going to stab him. Like he killed all my people... like he killed my parents... I must kill him.

With his shaking hands, he pointed the sword up high towards the King. Jonghwa bit his lower lips.

 

*

 

With his trembling hands, Daewon kept on fighting back to Kyungtak and then he cried out loud.

For the past few years... I've lived my life... feeling guilty with the thought that I killed Hyung-nim... but... he was alive... alive in this... palace... our enemy... as the King's guard... how could he live... like that.

"You... should have died... back then... hyung-nim..."

How could you... betray our prince... the prince... prince... was longing you for this past few years... but why are you here... looking like that... in front of us... in this place.

Daewon looked into Kyungtak's eyes who was also looking at him with sadness. I am not here to look at you like this... why couldn't you... live as a slave... or comeback... from the fight injured... or anything other than this... it would have made me feel much better.

"... come back. Hyung-nim this is not the place for you."

When Daewon said that, Kyungtak picked his veil up and put it on his head again, turning his back on him.

"You should go now. Soon the soldiers going to come for patrol."
"... hyung-nim."
"I..."

'Am going to protect my King.'

Daewon looked at him shocked.

"Hyung-nim, that King is not the person you should be protecting!!!"
"... he is the person who saved my life. I am going to do my best to pay the debt of saving my life..."

Daewon ran towards Kyungtak and pointed his sword towards his neck. Kyungtak just stood still.

"... hyung-nim. You told me that you will protect both me and the prince..."

Kyungtak turned to face Daewon as he pushed the sword away with his sheath.

"... you don't need me anymore. You've done well until now... so... the prince..."

Will be fine... without me.  He will be fine... because he have you.

There was footsteps to be heard, and soon soldiers holding the fire came running towards where Daewon and Kyungtak was staying at. Kyungtak looked at that side, and looked back at Daewon again who also looked back at him determind.

"Next time, I won't hesitate."

Silence.

"I will... kill you with my own hands."

Daewon quickly jumped off from the roof and hid himself out of sight. At the same time the soldiers ran towards Kyungtak and asked him.

"... are you okay?"

Kyungtak just nodded his head in reply and walked past them. Under the veil, there was Kyungtak who finally let his tears out. Yes... I'm so glad that you are alive... and the prince... I am really...

"Relieved that you are alive..."

There was Daewon who hid under the trees, and crying out loud. From all this time he was living to protect Jonghwa but that all vanished when he saw Kyungtak because he was just pretending to be strong, just as he was playing Kyungtak's role. He was just weak and young like the other boys out there. Daewon missed Kyungtak so much ever since he disappeared that he learned martial arts just to be like him... and acted like he was him... because that was the only way he could protect the prince.

Daewon had hatred but at the same time he was also relieved that he was alive. He had hatred that he was now his enemy but he was relieved that he was alive.

He stood up from the spot as he wiped all his tears away, with his red puffy swollen eyes he closed them tight and opened them up again. I'm not going to become weak. The one who is alive... isn't the hyung-nim I know... he is only the enemy who will harm the prince... yes... the enemy...

"He is just one of our enemy."

 

*

 

It was morning. Sangbae opened his eyes. There was Jonghwa who was on the chair looking at the King. The morning sunlight made Jonghwa shine brightly. Jonghwa then had the biggest smile on his face towards Sangbae as he said to him.

"I... won this bet."

Sangbae just blankly looked into Jonghwa's eyes, and then chuckled as he nodded his head.

"I guess... I lost in this bet."

Right now... Isn't the good timing. I should become his person... and get to know him more... If I kill him now, then it will be a waste since I've been planning this for the past few years... I am going to be his guard who he will treasure me only. And... the day he falls for me... that's when I'm going to kill him. Like he said... without hesitating. In one go.

Until then... I am going to forget about everything. I am just going to live as the person who only cares for the King. So that way, I could make him fall for me.

 

 

 

 

 

SUBSCRIBE AND COMMENT