Chapter 01

The Vow

Seven years ago.

Inside the palace was uproarious. All the place was engulfed in flames, and people inside the palace was screaming for their lives as they tried to escape, but ended up either getting strucked by the bow or got their heads cut off in one . In this fuss, the King called the two young boys. They came inside and kneeled on one leg infront of the King as they had their heads down.

"... take care of the... prince."

The Kingling had to call in the two young boys to protect his son. Even though he will end his life at this palace, the thought of having to save his son came to his mind that he sent those two young boys to his son.

 

*

 

"Hyung-nim..."

Daewon called Kyungtak who was leading the way. Kyungtak stopped walking and turned around to face him, they have both turned twelves years old, and Kyungtak was the older by few months. He was more mature looking than Daewon who had a baby face and acted like his age.

"What are we suppose to do now?"
"... you heard it too, we have to protect the prince."
"B-but..."
"We have no time, let's go."

Kyungtak turned and continued to walk, when Daewon ran towards him and grabbed his lapels which made him look back at him again.

"... are you scared?"

Daewon hesitated and then nodded as an response which made Kyungtak laugh.

"... you just try your best to protect the prince."

'And I will...'

"Try my best to protect both you and the prince."

 

*

 

The prince who was inside his room poked his head out to see if anyone was outside. When the outside was noisy with screams, inside the palace was so quiet and peaceful that the prince walked out of his room to the passage. It was to look for his two young friends Kyungtak and Daewon who was always beside him. Prince took hold of his dark red sheath and walked back out of the passage again. He was so nervous and afraid as his hands were trembling while walking through the passage, until he couldn't go any further because someone was standing at the end of the passage. They were keeping distance but the prince knew that the person who was standing at the end was facing him.

The boy had fair skin, and just by the looks of his steel armor he knew that he was the enemy. The shape and the brightness of his armor seemed like he was in a higher position. Prince was fine if he could do martial arts, but he was in fear as it was actually his first time fighting with the enemy. Prince took his sword out from his sheath and pointed towards the boy trying not to show his fear. Even though he was pointing the sword towards the boy, he didn't do anything and just stood there staring at him. Prince stared deep into his eyes, it somehow looked sad. When he saw the sadness in the eyes, the prince also felt like he was going to burst out in tears.

"Why are you trying to destroy our small land... why are you so cruel to our people who have done nothing wrong."

Prince cried out to the boy who was still staring at him without a word.

"Are you going to..."

The prince wanted to hear every single word that the person was trying to say, but because of his fear he couldn't listen to anything. The boy then walked towards the prince and the fear got him that his trembling hands dropped the sword. He was looking at the sword that he dropped, and then looked up at the two gold and blue marbles hitting eachother. The two marbles were tied into a string. Then he noticed the hands holding onto the marbles, that he looked up at the boy in shock. The boy was holding onto the sword that the prince dropped to the ground.

"You are not ready to kill me yet..."

The boy lowered his head towards the prince.

"You have to resent me..."
"...?!"
"You have to have the hatred in your heart, try your best to hate me. You must.,, kill me with your own hands. Can you do that?"
"..."
"I'll wait for you. I'll wait for that day to come... for now..."

The prince was powerless as he collapsed and was being held by the boy by the arms as he dragged the prince towards the passage. The boy then took his cloak off and had it around the prince.

"Your Highness!!!"

From far, one soldier ran towards the boy.

"The person you have in your hands..."

The boy smirked at the soldier, but it was the coldest smirk. Without a word, he cut the soldier's head off with the sword.

"... I will make you live this one time."

The boy... no the young King, Sangbae whispered into the Prince Jonghwa's ears.

Yes... It will be much better If you don't remember me... one day when you come to me accusing me for the crime, with your sword pointing towards me.. that time I will...

"Accept my death."

Sangbae smiled at him.

... so next time... don't hesitate and just stab me in the heart with your sword. The person who have destroyed your country, and took your people away... you have to... kill me... in one go. Sangbae pressed his lips against Jonghwa's forehead.

 

*

 

At the same time, Kyungtak and Daewon was surrounded by the enemies, Kyungtak took his sword out and looked at Daewon.

"... go."
"What?"
"Go look for the prince... and get out of here."
"But... I don't want too... Hyung-nim... you have to come with me..."

Kyungtak gave Daewon the cold glance.

"You are just a burden to me if you stay here. Okay? So go find the prince and go hide as far as you can."
"Hyung-nim..."
"I will also... catch up with you... don't worry."

'Did you forget?'

"That I don't lose to anyone... in martial arts. So, go now..."

'Go!!!'

Kyungtak ran towards the enemies. Daewon who was hesitating, bit his lower lips and ran off to look for the prince. Daewon who turned his back on his friend, had his tears rolling down his cheek as he was running.

I am a coward. That's why... I will only be a burden to hyung... even when he is fighting by himself with all the enemies I can't even help him... only thing I can do is run away from all of this happening.

Daewon who got inside the palace, ran inside the prince's room. When he saw that the prince was gone, he turned to go out of the room when he saw the two marbles in his eyes.

"... are you looking for your prince?"
"... who are you?"

Daewon who was trying to take his sword out was shaking so much, and Sangbae who saw that let out a laugh.

"I will give you five to ten minutes. In that time you have to leave this palace with that horse outside with your prince. If you can't, I will kill both you and the prince with my own hands. Do you think you can do that?"

Daewon looked at Sangbae suspicicously. What is he talking about... is this a trap... he was in his deep thoughts. At the time, he heard footsteps running towards where he was. Sangbae who also heard the footsteps hurridly look back at Daewon.

"There's no time for you to think. Can you do it?"

He nodded towards Sangbae.

 

The First Story

 

The black robe was turning into a slightly brown colour as it touches the sand on the ground. The boy who had the baby face, stood infront of the big palace and faced the front staring at the entrance. The red door was getting rusty, but also kept it shining. The boy put his round hat up to see the top of the entrance.

"Prince."

When he heard that someone was calling him, he lowered his hat and turned around to face the person who was calling him. The prince who just turned eighteen had to look up at the boy who was also wearing the same clothes as him. The prince was looking at the boy with an serious expression on his face.

"Daewon. Please don't call me prince anymore."
"... I'm sorry."
"I regret that I am still alive when my country has been destroyed."

When Daewon felt the loneliness in the prince eyes he lowered his head. The prince who turned his back on Daewon, glared at the entrance of the palace and gritted his teeth.

Seven years ago, I was the prince of the small country. It took me some time to get here... the young King who destroyed my country and my people doesn't know that I am here. As he thought about the King, he couldn't seem to control his anger. I will take revenge for my people. With that mind, I came all the way here. I am going to kill you with my own hands.

"Now the only person I have left is... you Daewon."

He was his only friend, and the only young soldier to protect the prince. Daewon successfully ran away from the palace and everything was destroyed, most of the people were dead and the rest who got to stay alive were sent as a slave.

"... prince."
"Call me by my name."
"... but..."

Daewon was taken back by the prince's word. But when he looked into the prince's face it showed sadness.

"We were friends before."
"... yes..."

'Jonghwa...' Daewon couldn't call out the name.

"Lee Jonghwa."

Jonghwa smiled towards Daewon.

"Now I feel better you calling me like that."
"But you are still the highest person to me... it might take awhile to call you by the name..."

Jonghwa nodded his head.

 

*

 

Inside the palace was uproarious. Heojun who was practicing with his sword stopped as he hurridly put his sword back and walked towards where all the maids were gathering and gossiping around in circle. 

"Move."

The maids who heard Heojun's voice, moved aside as they made space for him to go through. Inside the room was the young King who was wearing a bright red clothes. The room inside was all bloodied and the smell was also bad as it smelt like blood. But the King just sat on his chair like nothing happened as he drank the liquor while he was holding the sword with his left hand. He then saw Heojun just standing there and then smiled at him. The King had blood all over his face.

"... you came."
"Your highness."

King ignored him as he turned his face away from him. He then wiped the blood off his face with his right hand. Then he stared into his hand that was with blood.

"Didn't I tell you earlier... to never let a woman in my room..."

The King who sighed deeply looked back at Heojun and then towards the door which made the maids run away from his place which made him have a smirk on his face. With that smirk he stared into Heojun's eyes.

"Heojun."
"Yes, your highness."
"... the smell is not going away... the smell of the woman... I wanted to put a fire on this place to get rid of the smell... but I didn't want to hear you rant, so I didn't do that... didn't I do well... compliment me."
"Your highness..."
"I told you that I am not getting married..."

The King stood up and stumbled towards Heojun. He then tapped Heojun's shoulders and lend his sword to him.

"Throw it away... from now on, I won't use this room... Heojun."

There was serious expression on the King's face. Then he tilted his head to see his face. Heojun lowered his head.

"... yes, your highness."
"From now on, you get rid of those old woman yourself."

His voice was so cold yet he laughed out loud, he tapped Heojun's shoulders once more and stumbled out the door. As soon as he was out of the door, eunuch ran towards him. Heojun stopped one of the eunuch.

"Please call Jaeho for me."
"B-but... Jaeho-nim said not to disturb him..."
"... what?"

Heojun's face hardened as he let the eunuch go.

 

*

 

Jaeho was between the maids and was talking and laughing along with them. He was wearing the same clothes as Heojun but the colour of his were more brighter. He had a headband on his head and he started to laugh out loud. One of the maid looked shocked as she stood up from the spot. Jaeho also looked at the maid, then turned his face to see who she was looking at. When he saw that it was Heojun he also stood up.

"What brings you here Heojun? I thought you were practicing..."

Heojun had a really serious look on his face that Jaeho had to make the maids leave the room. The maids rushed out of the room. Heojun looked at the maids who left then turned his face and stared into Jaeho's eyes. Jaeho chuckled.

"The King has killed another empress."

Jaeho stopped laughing as his face stiffened. 'What?' He asked to make sure that he was hearing it right. Heojun sighed.

"While you were happily playing around with the maids."
"Are you saying that it was my fault? Look, okay, say that I am at fault. But isn't it your fault for not saving the queen's life? Didn't I tell you before, that the King won't think about getting married, that I told you to just to get a child from his related family."
"That also works if he gets married."

Jaeho had his arms around Heojun.

"Marriage, that's good. Do you know how many times this happened?"

Jaeho was counting with his hands, and then he looked at Heojun shocked.

"My god~ It's seven times this has happened... he was fine awhile ago... but nowadays..."

Heojun didn't say anything back to Jaeho which he couldn't continue his words. But then he scoffed and started to talk again.

"If he didn't like it, he should have told us... he got the worst personality ever... how could he kill all of them."
"Think about getting rid of the dead body."
"... can't you tell those slaves to do it... you know I hate doing those..."

'Ah- Kyungtak!' Jaeho waved his hands towards Kyungtak. Heojun also had his face turned towards him. Kyungtak had books in his arms and bowed towards the two warriors. He also had a sword on his side.

"Look. I think the King gave him the new clothes again."

Jaeho mumbled to himself while looking at Kyungtak's white clothes. Heojun pushed Jaeho to the side and walked towards Kyungtak.

"... do I need to put these back to the library?"

Kyungtak looked surprised as he looked at Heojun wide eyed.

"I will put them back for you."

He shook his head but Heojun took the book away from him.

"Please go to the King for us."
"?"
"He would be feeling uneasy right now..."

When Heojun said that  Kyungtak knew what he meant, that he quickly walked inside the palace. Jaeho walked towards Heojun.

"... ah, It would be good if he wasn't mute."
"Since he can hear what we are saying, he is not mute."
"... Isn't that the same thing."

Jaeho looked straight into Heojun's eyes. Heojun didn't look away as he lend the book to him.

"W-what is this."
"Put this back inside the library."
"I thought you said you will do it."
"Didn't you say you don't want to clean the body?"
"... okay."

Jaeho walked towards the library while cursing and Heojun turned his way to the palace where Kyungtak walked in.

 

*

 

Kyungtak walked inside King's room who he was lying down on his bed.

"Leave..."

When the King said that, Kyungtak stopped as he lowered his head without moving an inch. The King put his arm down, and opeend his eyes.

"... Kyungtak."

Kyungtak lowered his head more. King sat up from the bed.

"... were you worried about me."
"..."

Kyungtak nodded his head which made the King laugh.

"Come closer."

King had his arm wrapped around Kyungtak's waist. Kyungtak just stood there for a second and then tapped the King's back.

"... I might never become happy... I killed too many people, and used them... I have become the King in my young age... I had to become more stronger as the King... do you know,.. what I am going through right now... ah... I just wish you can talk to me at this time... I am so glad that you are beside me... I am really glad..."

Kyungtak had his eyes on the King's shoulders then he looked away and looked out the window.

 

*

 

"Did you hear the rumour?"
"What rumour?"
"I heard that the King, killed the Queen."
"Again? How many time has this happened..."
"I know right..."

From all this gossip, Jonghwa put his spoon down to listen more clearly. Daewon also had his eyes on the people who were gossiping about the rumours.

"I heard that the King like boys."
"Don't say something like that about the King!"
"Am I not right? If not then why does he only have his warriors beside him."
"Also, there was a post about saying that they are choosing young boys to work inside the palace."

When Daewon heard that, he looked at Jonghwa, who he also had his eyes on Daewon.

"... no, you can't."

As soon as Daewon said that, Jonghwa looked away from his eyes.

"What do you mean I can't, when this is the chance."
"But prince... I mean... Jonghwa this is too dangerous."
"This is the only way to be close to the King."

Jonghwa was being serious. Daewon wanted to say something but he kept his mouth shut. He knew that he couldn't win Jonghwa from this.

"... then, I will also go with you."

Jonghwa stared straight into Daewon's eyes.

"I promised to protect you. That's why I am here for... I have always been protecting you... and I will until..."

Jonghwa shooked his head.

"... Daewon..."
"..?"
"Until I get noticed by the King... stay hidden."
"But..."
"That's the only way. What if we both get caught..."
"Then I will go in instead."

He shook his head once more.

"No. I will be the one who has to go inside this palace."

Jonghwa smiled towards Daewon. 

"Because Daewon. You have to come protect me when I am in danger..."

Daewon sighed. 

"Okay..."

Again, Daewon couldn't convince Jonghwa.

My prince... for you... I will risk my own life.

 

 

 

SUBSCRIBE AND COMMENT