Overachiever

Overachiever (Infinite; Hoya/DongWoo; PG)

 

'Anyway keep on going and taste the stars
Keep on growing and raise the bars
You're living life with the A's down to the Z's
After the hill you got a mountain to see'
Epik High - Over
 
 

 

Sometime there are songs that you keep on listening because they just make you go on. Hold On. Keep on going. 

 

Hoya had always known he had wanted to dance. And what he wants, he gets. So he takes all the chances he can. Leave home and High school. Move alone in the capital. Hoping to be able to make it. He takes auditions. Everywhere. Every single one he can take, he does. Never too many. 

He lives by himself with no money, no friends. Nothing nor no one to rely on. Only his confidence. 

He's strong. He lives for his passion. He knows that he'll be able to make it. Someday. So when he gets in Woolim, he doesn't rest. Never. Keep on practicing. Dance. Sing. Rap. Dance. Sing. Rap. And sleep. When he has time.

 

When he first meets the others, he's quite confident they're going to make it. Big. SungGyu is a great leader. Taking care of each and every one of them. DongWoo is a flawless rapper, and dancer. His good mood, and laugh always give him strength. WooHyun has a perfect voice. And even his cheesiness can't change that. SungYeol is working hard. Really hard, and still always has a smile on his face. MyungSoo is strange, but he's the visual. He's not supposed to talk after all. But he's sensible, and probably the more efficient of all of them. And there’s SungJong. The kid isn't as self-confident as he let everyone think. But he's a hard worker. 

They're all hard workers, and every one of them is ready to make everything to achieve their dreams. That's why he feels so at ease with them. They all think the same. You can't make it if you don't work hard. 

So they practice. Endlessly. Days & nights. 

 

He admires DongWoo. Since the beginning, DongWoo had been special. They always dance together, rap together. They're a duo. Entirely completing each other. DongWoo has natural skills. And Hoya is a hard worker. They're making it perfect with each other.

 

When they debut he feels like his dream is about to start. So he works even harder. Practice more than anyone else. 

 

At home SungGyu isn't the bright image he gives outside. He's tired, exhausted. But still take care of s more than himself. 

'You should rest more you know.' 

SungGyu tells him one day after practice. Everyone already left.

'I'm okay Hyung... I've always worked hard. It's natural for me.'

SungGyu smiles and nods. 

'Come on, it's good for today. Let’s go home'

It's silent on the way back home. Only the 2 of them. They don't need to talk. They live together, spend every single moment together. Talking is not needed anymore.

 

They make a successful come back. Got praised by a lot of other artists. And Hoya thinks that he managed to make it a step further toward his dream. He had promised to go back home when he'll be successful. Still far. 

 

He works even harder when they debut in Japan. Because it's like trainee day all over again. It's about conquering a whole new range of people. Doing everything again. Starting from scratch. So he just spends his nights in the practice room, dancing. 

 

There is a difference with training days though. When he goes back home, there is always someone waiting for him. 

DongWoo always in a way or another waiting for him. Awake or not. Most of the times sleeping deeply on the couch. But still. He's here and Hoya's really grateful.

 

The first time DongWoo kiss him it's nothing like he had expected it to be. They're out of breath and sticky because of the sweat. And practice had been hell. He hadn't been able to do the whole choreography without making at least one mistake. And that annoys him.

So he stays longer. He's about to just let everything go when DongWoo walks towards him and kiss him. Out of the blue. Without any warning. And it's kind of comforting in the end. 

'Come one, we're going home now. You’ll have all the time to practice again tomorrow'

DongWoo says as he grabs his hand and pulls him out of the room. 

 

They never actually talk about what they 'are'. They just... Go on with the flow. Kissing in backstage, when no one's here to see, holding hands, or sleeping besides each other. The others probably know. They don't say anything. As long as it doesn't influence their work.

 

It's been more than a year that they have been promoting. Flying nonstop between Japan & Korea. Not staying really long anywhere. Just moving. They're all exhausted. 

But Hoya can't show it. His pride is just too much. He can't accept the tiredness, the exhaustion. So when they have a rest day. When everyone is sleeping at home, or just... Doing anything.  He goes to practice. Because that's him. Practice addict.

 

After a few hours he thinks that maybe he should have stayed home. Nothing is working. He's tired, and can't coordinate his movements well. But he has to continue. Because works only brings improvement. And improving lead to perfection.

So he just continues to dance. 

 

When he fell, the only thing he registers is the unbearable pain in his knee. Tears flow down his cheeks without him knowing. It hurts. Bad. Really bad.

He stays there, on the floor sobbing, holding his knees hoping it will get better. But it doesn't. 

He's alone. Nobody's here. And nobody will come. They're all used to him go back late. He tries to stand up but as soon as he put some strength on his injured leg, it buckles. And that hurts. 

He tries to stay coherent. To ignore the pain. His phone is in his bag. He catches it, and dials DongWoo's number. He's the only one he can bear to talk to right now.

'Hoya?

'Hyung... I need help...

There is silence at the other end of the line.

'Hoya... Are you alright?

'I...

No need to lie, he thinks.

'No... I'm not okay... And I need you to come here... Please...

A sobs come out of his mouth, and he can hear DongWoo moving.

'Okay I'm coming. Where are you?

'Practice room.

 

When DongWoo comes in, he's still lying on the floor. His leg is numb, and the pain is still present. But if he doesn't move his leg it's kind of okay. So he just stays here. 

'Hoya what the ? What happened?

DongWoo runs to his side, looking at him with round eyes. Not knowing what to do.

'I fell... I think my knee twisted...

DongWoo's totally frozen. And Hoya has just the strength to chuckle.

'It's stupid eh? I've been practicing all my life. Never did I get injured. Not once. Well... It's okay now. They got me too. 

'Stop talking non sense. I'm calling the manager. Don't move okay?

Hoya nods, tears in the eye, throat tight. DongWoo looks worried. Really. The older pecks him on the cheek before moving out of the room to take the call. 

 

He thinks that the 2 minutes when DongWoo's away are the worst. Because here, in the middle of the practice room he feels lonely. And cold. And he think that maybe he shouldn't have dropped school. Maybe he should have stayed in Busan and listened to his parents instead. Tears run down his eyes, and he wants to wipe them away. But he has no strength left, so he just cries silently in the cold empty practice room. 

 

DongWoo comes back, and lay down on the floor next to him. Gathering him close, and holding him tight. Whispering non sense words. But being here. And that was all that Hoya needs.

 

When the doctor comes in, he knows that it's pretty bad. Just by the face. 

'Lee HoWon-ssi?

'Yes, it's me. 

'I know you're a dancer and that it's your job but... It's pretty bad. You entirely ripped both of your crucial ligaments.

There is a silence. The doctor sighs, and shows him the MRI cliche. 

'It means that nothing is holding your knee anymore. That it can buckle at any time. You definitely won't be able to dance in this state.

'What? Bu...

'Don't worry there is a way... We'll have to operate though... We will construct a new cruciate ligament using either the patella tendon or two of the hamstring tendons. This new ligament will be placed in the knee joint in a manner that gives it the same shape as the original ligament. It's a quite easy operation. 

'Great then. Do it. I'm not opposing or anything.

'You have to consider something.

The doctor sighed, and looked at Hoya right in the eyes.

'This operation may be easy but... There is a lot of work to do after. You won't be able to dance for... at least 6 months. You'll have to do physical therapy for all this time. Learn how to walk again, and gain your strength back. Don't ask me if there is any other option, because there isn't. And I will not allow you to go back to dancing before your knee is totally back to his normal strength. 

'Does that mean that...? I'm...

'You can't dance. No. The rest you'll have to see with your agency. 

Hoya nods.

 

When he comes out of the doctor office, in a wheelchair, everyone is there. SungJong sleeping on SungGyu's shoulder. MyungSoo and SungYeol silently drinking coffee. WooHyun and DongWoo talking to each other in low voice. 

He sighs, and lowers his eyes. Guilt. He had worked so hard to make it, and ended up screwing it up. Everything.

 

'Hey... How are you?' SungGyu asks him, as he shook gently SungJong awake.

'I... I'm fine... I just... I'm sorry. Really.'

There is a silence. Dongwoo walks closer, and took his hands gently. Smiling at him. 

'What did the doctor said?'

'Rupture of both crucial ligaments in my knee.

SungJong gasps, and runs to hug him.

'Can they... I don't know... Do anything?' Asks SungYeol. His usual childish attitude is gone. Far away.

'They say they need to operate. And... I won't be able to dance... For 6 months.'

The tears are back, threatening to fall at any moment. DongWoo squeezes his hands.

'I'm so sorry... I should have listened to you Hyung... When you told me to not work so hard... I just...

'Shhh... It's okay HoWon-ah... It's okay. Don't worry for that okay?' SungGyu says, smiling tightly.

'It's going to be okay. We're going to go back home now. Everyone's going to go to sleep, and we'll talk about it tomorrow.'

 

DongWoo insists on sleeping with him tonight. Not wanting to leave Hoya alone. He doesn't sleep well this night. 

Surprisingly, nobody blames him. At any point. Not their managers. Not even their CEO. All acknowledging the fact that practicing nonstop is part of Hoya's life. It was an accident.

 

They have to make a press conference. Explaining what had happened. And what is going to happen. They aren't going to disband. Hell no. They are going to stop promoting though. For a little while. They all need it anyway. 

Hoya is going to undergo surgery, and then move on with his physical therapy. SungYeol and MyungSoo will star in a drama, WooHyun, SungGyu and DongWoo will form a sub unit. And SungJong is going host a show. 

Later on SungYeol and Hoya will both get their own radio show. 

 

Hoya undergoes surgery with success during the middle of June, and starts his physical therapy right after. He works hard. Really hard. Because he knows that working is the only way to get out of here. Just as always.

 

His parents come to visit him with his brothers once. And he cries in his mother's arms. Just because he can. And he promises them once more that he's going to go back on stage. And become even better. That he'll shine. 

 

He helps to the creation of the Unit's album. He composes himself 3 of the 5 songs. DongWoo wrote the lyrics with him. It's their own fully composed and written album. And they're proud of it. They make it great. Getting praise from everyone. 

 

One day, Tablo stop by and congratulate them. It's probably on of the best day of his life. They had all missed Tablo's support and encouragement. 

 

MyungSoo and SungYeol do very well with their respective drama. And their popularity gets better every single day. 

SungJong has a lot of fun hosting his show with LeeTeuk and Boom. The show gets praised too. And SungJong is happy to know more and more people. Being always spoiled by all his Hyung. 

 

Hoya can start sports again, slowly. After a few months. He comes back to practices, and watches the other dances. Spots their mistakes, and helps them reach perfection.

Sometime he does his own exercises in a corner, sweating as much as them.

Then they all go back to the dorm, laughing and teasing each other.

But happy. Because they're all together. The 7 of them.

 

'Well... I think it's the last time we need to meet each other.

Hoya looks up and sees the bright face of his Physical therapist.

'Uh?

'You're done. No more Physical Therapy.

'Wh... Really?

'Yes. I think you can totally go back on stage and perform perfectly well. 

Hoya smiles so brightly that he feels like his face is going to split in two.

'Thank you. Thank you so much.'

He bows, and runs out of the hospital. 

 

They're practicing when he barges him, and they all look at him with weird look. 

'What?' Asks SungGyu, visibly suspicious.

Hoya laughs, and hugs the leader.

'We made it guys... I'm free. I can come back to practice. 

'REALLY?

He nods and SungJong run to them. It all finishes in a group hug. But none of them actually mind. 

 

Going back to practice is like being able to breathe again. It feels good, and normal. And it just fit. 

DongWoo helps him getting back to what they were before. Hoya gets annoyed sometimes, because he can't do it. But DongWoo just look at him and laugh. Patting the younger on the end, and kissing him on the cheek.

'It's normal that you can't do it... It will come back. In time. Don't worry. You'll still be Infinite's Dance machine.'

And Hoya laughs. Because, truthfully, he couldn't be 'Infinite's dance machine' without DongWoo. Never was, Never will.