Way Back Home

Way Back Home

A/N: Here with more ChaeDa YAY!!! Enjoy :)

 

 

~

 

 

Son Chaeyoung couldn’t help but notice the slight changes in how her fellow member Kim Dahyun had been acting lately. No other member could possibly notice these changes because it was only when it came to Chaeyoung that Dahyun would be different. The second youngest just couldn’t understand why Dahyun was like this. She wasn’t sure if anyone noticed but Chaeyoung had always had liked Dahyun a little more.

 

Dahyun would always be supportive of her, give her words of encouragement, play with her when she’s bored and laugh at her jokes even if no one else would. She liked being around Dahyun. They don’t even need to talk; just being close to each other was enough. But, lately Dahyun had been distant. No one else could feel it but Chaeyoung knew.

 

Today was no different, just like every other day. Dahyun would keep that slight distance that annoyed Chaeyoung to no end. It was the worst when they would head back to the dorm from school. Ever since Chaeyoung moved to the same school as Dahyun, the older girl had become distant. It confused Chaeyoung. Was it something she did? Did Dahyun just need space? What was it?

 

“How was school?” Dahyun asked casually while looking at her phone.

 

Chaeyoung shrugged, “It was alright.” She looked over at Dahyun who was walking a little ahead, like every other time. It wasn’t always like this. Dahyun used to walk right beside her, play around with her while they headed back and look at her when they were talking.

 

“Oh? Okay” Dahyun replied short. She finished whatever it was on her phone and put it away into her pocket. She didn’t even turn back to look at Chaeyoung. She couldn’t bring herself to. Dahyun realized that Chaeyoung had been having a short temper lately and she knew it was because of her. “That’s good” Dahyun added.

 

“How about you?” Chaeyoung asked back, noticing that Dahyun had put her phone away.

 

“It was alright too.”

 

Chaeyoung nodded, “Shouldn’t it be stressful? It’s third-year.”

 

“Yeah, I guess…”

 

Chaeyoung continued to look at the older girl who had never turned back once to even check up on her. Usually, Dahyun would make sure that nothing had happened to Chaeyoung and the younger would always laugh saying that she worried too much. But, it never stopped Dahyun until now. “I see…” Chaeyoung said softly as she looked down to the ground.

 

Dahyun didn’t hear anything else from Chaeyoung after that and honestly, it wasn’t the best feeling. She didn’t want to do this to Chaeyoung but her body just does it automatically because she couldn’t ignore her growing feelings for the younger girl. Her first reaction was to be distant in case she messed up and ruined their friendship. This was the only way she knew how.

 

“I heard you wanted to switch rooms with Mina unnie” Chaeyoung brought up as the silence became overbearing.

 

“Oh…” Dahyun didn’t expect Chaeyoung to know already. She only brought it up once yesterday and Chaeyoung already knows about it. “I mean, Mina unnie really likes you…” she tried to come up with some sort of an explanation without spilling the beans. It was hard to share a room with the person you like, seeing them change in the mornings and wanting to kiss them instead of waking them up. Dahyun can see herself going mad very soon.

 

Chaeyoung frowned, “So you're going to just switch rooms because Mina unnie like me?”

 

“I don’t see a problem with it” Dahyun said.

 

Well, there wasn’t a problem. All the members enjoyed each other’s presence and of course Chaeyoung liked Mina but it just wasn’t the same. She could never imagine not having Dahyun sleeping in the bottom bunk. It just didn’t feel right. She liked Dahyun more.

 

“You’ll be fine with Mina unnie,” Dahyun continued.

 

What was this feeling stirring in her chest? Chaeyoung stopped walking, “No.”

 

“Why?” Dahyun asked, turning around for the first time in forever.

 

“Now you turn around?” Chaeyoung couldn’t believe it, “You only look at me because I don’t want you to switch rooms? You want to switch that badly?”  

 

Dahyun took a deep breath, “No… that’s not it.”

 

“Then what is it?” Chaeyoung asked. She couldn’t take this distance anymore. “Why do you want to switch rooms? Why are you so distant lately?” Chaeyoung continued with all her unanswered questions, “Did I do something?”

 

“No” Dahyun shook her head and walked up to the younger girl, “No…”

 

“Then what is it?” Chaeyoung was getting angry and she really didn’t want to, “You basically act as if I don’t exist at school, walk ahead of me when we go back home, and never hang around me for more than thirty minutes a day at the dorm.”  

 

“I…” Dahyun still didn’t have the guts to tell her, but she felt like there was no escape now.

 

“You what?” Chaeyoung snapped.

 

“I like you” Dahyun breathed out.

 

Silence engulfed the two as Chaeyoung blinked at the words she just heard, “You what?” she asked again, this time a lot softer.

 

“I like you more than just a friend” Dahyun confessed quietly, “I naturally kept a distance after realizing because I didn’t want to ruin our friendship, and I wanted to switch rooms because it’s really hard for me to be around you when you change or sleep or anything. When I’m around you or look at you I feel all these things I shouldn’t feel.”

 

“Why shouldn’t you feel those things?” Chaeyoung asked as the previous weight on her chest had disappeared.

 

Dahyun looked at Chaeyoung, “I mean… you’re a member, a friend. I shouldn’t feel this way about you.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“Because you don’t like me that way” Dahyun said.

 

Chaeyoung smiled, “Who said that I don’t feel the same way?”

 

Dahyun’s eyes widened, “What?”

 

“You should’ve told me earlier unnie” Chaeyoung said, “Because I like you too.”

 

Nope, Dahyun won’t believe it. “Yah… Chaeyoung, I mean like not friends, you know what I mean? Like…”

 

“Like love?” Chaeyoung interjected.

 

Dahyun nodded, “Yeah… like that.”

 

Chaeyoung nodded, “Okay then. I love you too.”

 

It was Dahyun’s turn to freeze this time. Did she hear it right? “I’m serious Chaeyoung-ah.”

 

“I’m serious too unnie.”

 

Dahyun blinked, “Really?”

 

Chaeyoung let out a little chuckle as she leaned in to give the older girl a peck on the lips, “Do you believe me now?”

 

“Oh my god…” Dahyun breathed. Chaeyoung was serious. “Oh my god…” she repeated. She looked at Chaeyoung, “So… we’re officially a couple?”

 

Chaeyoung nodded, “Yep.”

 

Dahyun broke into a grin and picked the younger girl up and spun around, “Yay!”

 

Chaeyoung just laughed, “I told you that you worry too much.”

 

The older girl placed Chaeyoung down and gave a pout, “I was worried you’d reject me and then not even be my friend.”

 

“Why would I reject someone like you? I’d be crazy to do that.”

 

Dahyun nodded as she took Chaeyoung’s hand, interlocking their fingers “Right? It’d be crazy to reject someone like me right?”

 

“Yep, absolutely crazy.”