Chapter 1

Don't play with me

Hey everyone! So here is the first part. I did my best to proofread it but there might be some mistakes (pardon me, english is not my native language). And I hope it's not boring hahaha I'll probably put the rest up very soon. And I lied, I changed everyone's ages because I can. And Hyunwoo is a random male OC.

Also, thank you for the subscriptions and comments! It really motivated me :3

Hope you like it~

 


 

Solji was completely smitten. She was turned to the board, but kept throwing not so subtle glances at a boy two seats away from her. Her teacher's voice went in one ear and out the other. He was currently busy with tickling his friend sitting in front of him, and all she had in mind was how absolutely gorgeous he was with that cute giggle.

He was one of the school's popular boys. Hyunwoo was his name. His charm and looks could get him anywhere, make anyone fall in love with him. And Solji wasn't an exception.

Solji has had a crush on him for some years, but had never done anything so he could notice her. She has always been an expectator, watching him when he was walking on the corridor going from class to class, or during lunch break, or even going in and out of school.

Okay, she may be a bit of a stalker, but she wasn't that creepy.

Solji sighed dreamily, imagining herself sitting next to Hyunwoo, thigs touching, palms clammy, heart thundering on her chest. Then shyly but resolutely turning to him, reaching out and touching his hands with hers, slowly leaning closer and closer to his face, eyes closed and hitched breath.

Solji was startled out her daydream when the bell rang. Last bell of the day. She only looked as Hyunwoo quickly threw his things in his backpack and dashed out of the classroom with his friends.

When most of her classmates had already gone, Solji put her last pen away, sighing heavily when she remembered she had to walk home alone. Heeyeon had been absent that day. She was stuck in bed due to a strong flu, probably from the cold day the previous week when she insisted she really had to have some ice cream.

On the way home Solji stopped to buy some snacks, all the while replaying Hyunwoo's laugh on her head (Hyunwoo's smile, Hyunwoo's eyes, Hyunwoo's jawline, Hyunwoo, Hyunwoo, Hyunwoo). Heeyeon's house was right acroos the street from her own, so she went to pay a visit and bring the day's lessons which were completely left aside in favor of the pastries carefully wrapped inside a plastic bag.

"You have no idea how miserable I'm feeling", Heeyeon whined, mouth full with cream. "My throat feels so sore, and I feel like my body was microwaved. Twice. And then run over by fifty obese ponies."

Solji hummed.

"You shouldn't talk so much then. This can be an opportunity for you to learn the wisdom of being silent for five minutes."

"Stop being mean. You're a terrible friend."

"Oh, should I get my food back then?"

Heeyeon slapped Solji's hand from where she reached for the aluminium wrapped cake.

"No. Stop it. I'm gonna tell your mom you're bullying me."

Solji let out a heartfelt laugh. Heeyeon tried to bite back the smile threatening to escape, shoving the cupcake in .

The day went by quickly, as they watched this bad chick flick movie on TV (homework was thrown somewhere across the floor). When Heeyeon's mother got home, after a quick hug ("Hi, miss Ahn, sorry for the mess in your living room" "It's fine, Heeyeon can clean it when she gets better" Heeyeon indignantly squealed from her coccoon of blankets on the sofa) Solji went back to hers. It was a little before dinner, so she kissed her dad on the cheek as he carefully dropped pasta on boiling water and ran upstairs for a scolding hot shower.

After Solji was comfortably dressed with her pajamas, she sat in front of the mirror to brush her wet hair. It was halfway done when her hand slowly stopped brushing and she stared at her reflection. Solji turned her face left and right, her eyes going over every feature she had. She wasn't that bad. She was quite pretty, actually. Or so Solji has been told by a handful of people recently. If so many think that, maybe Hyunwoo...

Solji started happily giggling at the thought. It's been some time since she started having this feeling that this crush could turn well if she acted on it, and maybe she had good chances with Hyunwoo. Solji was nice, had fair skin and her legs looked great in shorts. There wasn't any reason why he wouldn't like her.

Solji had her charms. She could get his heart if she put in the effort, she was sure of it. She nodded to herself: she was going after her love.

… …

The next morning Solji decided life hated her.

She woke up feeling slightly nervous, but brushed it off and headed to school earlier than usual. She wanted to get a seat right next to Hyunwoo. Solji thought of starting slow: dropping a pen, asking for notes, making small talk. All the things she had seen in the countless teen movies she watched. There was a pattern, and if so many people thought it worked, maybe it actually did.

Solji walked in the classroom with her classiest posture and left her bag next to the seat Hyunwoo usually occupied. Solji nervously sat down. Her eyes were fixed on the clock above the board, watching it slowly tick the seconds away.

Really slowly ticking the seconds away. It seemed like it was dragging itself. Solji managed to hold herself still for a total of thirty seconds, her fingers tuttering on the table, before suddenly getting up. The drag of her chair startled the one other guy in the room, peacefully reading a manga, but she ignored it. Solji's anxiety got the best of her and she decided to go take a walk around the school. She didn't want to seem desperate by waiting for him to arrive. Yes, that would be better. What if Hyunwoo found her creepy and never looked at her in the face? Solji wouldn't be able to live with that.

After each corridor she passed, her nerves seemed to calm down more. And after what seemed like ages of her strutting aimlessly around the corridors, the bell finally rang. She had actually forgotten about the class. Solji rushed back, pushing people away as she ran (not ran, fast walked, since she would be scolded otherwise). She halted her steps right outside the classroom and calmed her breath before walking in (thank ing God the door was still open).

As naturally as she could, Solji dropped herself on her seat, careful not to stare at Hyunwoo who was predictably on the same place as always. Unfortunately he didn't pay any attention to her, not seeming to notice her change in seats.

Solji pursed her lips, but it was okay. She would change it soon.

Solji was taking her things out when the teacher entered the room. He put his leather briefcase over his desk and looked at the students with a tired glance of an old man.

"We have a new student. Be nice to her."

Solji was only half listening, fighting with her bag to take her notebook out without twisting the spiral. The door opened again as she finally (frustratedly) slammed the notebook on the table, attracting a few glances, though most looked back to the front. More footsteps could be heard. Silence fell over all the students as the newcomer started to talk.

"Hello. My name is Ahn Hyojin and I'll be your classmate from now on. It's very nice to meet you."

The unique nasal tone that reached her ears made Solji look up.

Solji was met with the sight of a person who could only be described as the embodiment of cool. From her straight, brown hair and her perfectly winged eyeliner, to the way she confidently wore this stylish (expensive) denim jacket and held herself on her black boots.

Hyojin's sharp eyes racked over every face in the room, seeming unfazed by how everyone was staring at her. Solji's breath was caught in for a moment when the girl's eyes bored straight into hers, but before she could think Hyojin already moved on. Solji stared in horror as Hyojin's gaze stopped right on Hyunwoo. Solji glanced at him and was even more appalled when the corners of his lips pulled up. Hyojin's gaze stayed on him for a second, before jumping back to Solji.

Solji wished she could shove her head under the desk, growing a little uncomfortable with the stare. Hyojin was snapped out by the teacher's soft voice pointing her towards her seat.

Solji looked in disbelief as the new girl, on her way towards the back, discreetly winked at Hyunwoo before walking in between Solji and Hyunwoo. Hyunwoo's friend turned around to mutter something to him and Hyunwoo said something else back, both with grins on their faces. He was clearly enjoying the situation.

Solji slumped back to her chair, in a state of shock. Hyojin's sweet perfume still lingered in the air. This definitely wasn't how she first imagined her morning to go.

Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

… …

Solji hoped Hyojin would be one of these brainless, uninteresting girls she saw everywhere. Those pretty girls you look into because they were eye-catching, but lose interest after they start talking. It would excuse the nice, thin legs Hyojin exhibited when she walked. Unfortunately for her, Hyojin was actually really charismatic and witty. And also unfortunately for her, it was obvious Hyojin was hitting on Hyunwoo. Hyojin didn't waste opportunities on sending him smirks or glancing suggestively at him with her cat-like eyes. And Hyunwoo was easily taking the bait.

Solji felt almost defeated every time Hyunwoo looked after Hyojin's figure when she walked by. She also felt angry. Who was that girl to just jump in and whisk Hyunwoo away like that? What right did she think she had? It was ridiculous. It has barely been a month and everyone just knew Hyunwoo and Hyojin were going to hook up at one point or another.

Solji was moodily munching her sandwich, in the middle of mentally protesting when she had the luck to glance up just as Hyunwoo ditched his friends to run after a waving Hyojin (Wow, her looks great in those jeans), both then making their way out of the cafeteria. Solji angrily pushed her tray away, stomping down the thought of how unfairly pretty Hyojin's shapely legs were. Heeyeon jumped with the noise and glared at her.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Heeyeon asked, frustrated, interrupted from peacefully enjoying her food. "You didn't even sit with me today in class, and when I finally can talk to you, you barelly say a word. You look like someone just pissed in your stupid fluffly pencils."

Solji blankly muttered an apology, not really registering what Heeyeon said, which brought a concerned frown to the other girl's face. Solji stood up and hurriedly left the cafeteria, ignoring Heeyeon yelling at her to wait. Solji walked to the direction of the classrooms, which were empty at that time, wanting away from that stupid Hyojin and her stupid charming looks and her stupid pretty eyes. She hated how she couldn't even bring herself to fight for Hyunwoo. She was fuming.

She angrily kicked a locker, but her shin hit the corner and the next moment she was jumping around in one leg and cursing everything she could think of.

"Hey, hey", Heeyeon's breathless voice called after her, hurried steps getting closer. "What are you doing? Unnie, what's wrong?"

Solji slowly put her foot back down. Nothing was resolved and now she had this sharp pain coming from her shin. Heeyeon had an armful of food (including what was left of Solji's lunch) and was stuffed with bread, but it didn't stop her worried gaze.

"Unnie", she started again after having swallowed and stepped closer. "Are you okay?"

As the exploding momentum of fury drifted away, Solji felt her anger slowly being replaced by sadness and heartache. Her shoulders slumped down. Heeyeon put a comforting hand on her arm, balancing the food with the other.

Solji felt tears threatening to spill from her eyes. She took a shaky breath and Heeyeon hurried to wrap an arm around her friend. At the gladly accepted warmness, Solji started to sob. All her frustration from the previous month was coming out in one go.

It was so terribly unfair how things played out. Why? Why couldn't she have the one she liked? Was it some kind of karma? Was it something she did in her past life? Why? Just why did that girl have to come in and do that? The school had plenty of mostly okay boys, why did it have to be Hyunwoo?

She kept asking herself this questions every day, and now, repeating them to Heeyeon between tears, she finally felt her chest relieving from the painful pressure. Heeyeon kept quiet, but rubbed small, gentle circles on her back.

Solji cried until her eyes started to swollen and started to dry. She inhaled deeply, unsteadly, but she felt better. Still, she was lost. But maybe she needed some time to think and sort herself out. Everything would be fine.