Competition

Sweet & Sour

 

Sungyeol glared at the road ahead as he drove, although god knew if it wasn't the poor road's fault that he was so mad. No, if anyone was to blame for it it was those two idiots sitting at the back of the car, constantly making Sungyeol want to turn around and give them a good wack on the head–which was not good for his driving, nor safe.

He regretted it. He regretted inviting them, if he'd ever regretted anything in his life. Yet how was he supposed to know that things would end up this way?

He had really thought that Woohyun, his best friend, and Sunggyu, the (rather hot, frankly, not that that had anything to do with anything) guy from work would get along well. They were pretty similar after all–had similar personalities, similar interests. Yet they had been glaring at each other from the moment Sungyeol had introduced them, and had continued doing so for the rest of the ride. That wouldn't have been too bad, because at least they would have been quiet, but no: they had been arguing as well–Sungyeol couldn't really say about what exactly, because really, what did two people who've just met have to argue about anyway–throwing jabs and sarcastic comments at each other. They kept comparing the things they had done with Sungyeol like it was some sort of competition. Sungyeol didn't get it.

"So you've known Sungyeol for three months?" Woohyun said, uttering the word like it was some sort of insult. "I've had my goldfish for longer."

"Then yours must be some old- goldfish, because the normal life span of a domestic goldfish is one to two months," Sunggyu shot back, and Sungyeol hated how smug he looked as he did so (mainly because a smug Sunggyu was extremely hot and distracting, and Sungyeol really should stop glancing back at Sunggyu in the rearview mirror, because it made him flustered every time, especially when his and Sunggyu's eyes met, and who allowed Sunggyu to have such beautiful eyes anyway–) "And also, it's not how long you've known someone that matters, but how you've spent that time together."

"Then I'm sure you must have done lots of things together in those three months, uh?" Woohyun said. "Like gotten drunk together for the first time, gone to a club for the first time, gone on a graduation trip together–"

Sungyeol secretly wondered why Woohyun was even bragging about that. Wasn't it normal to do those kind of things with your best friend since high school? And their graduation trip was hardly a fond memory, Woohyun having been sick both on their way there and back, and Sungyeol almost risking being turned away at the customs because of the ID picture on his passport (the one with the monkey face).

Maybe that's why Sunggyu looked unaffected by Woohyun's words, almost bored. "I might not have done those things with him, sure. But I have a feeling you've never had your hand in his pants–"

"Y-yah, shut up!" Sungyeol yelled, his face heating up right away. He couldn't believe that Sunggyu was bragging about that, of all things.

He quickly glanced at Sungjong, sitting in the front seat next to him. He looked expressionless, almost calm, but Sungyeol had known Sungjong for quite some time now, and he knew that when he had that look on his face, he wasn't calm at all. If anything, it meant he was furious.

Sungyeol immediately felt sorry for him, having to sit there and listen to those idiots' bickering. He probably regretted coming, just as much as Sungyeol regretted inviting those two.

"Well," Woohyun was saying, "At least… at least I didn't force myself on him–"

"Force?" Sunggyu laughed, and Sungyeol could feel his face get even hotter as he met Sunggyu's gaze through the rearview mirror, and he really should stop doing that 'cause Sunggyu's eyes were the work of the devil. "Is that what he told you?"

And OK, maybe Sungyeol had lied to Woohyun, tweaked reality a little bit. But he had just been so flustered when Woohyun had noticed the hickey on his neck and suddenly demanded explanations. He had been too embarrassed to admit that it hadn't been forced at all, that Sunggyu might have cornered him in the storage room and pressed him against the wall–you're not going anywhere now–but Sungyeol could have easily pushed him away and walked out on him if he had wanted to, but he hadn't. He had let Sunggyu slip his hand inside his pants, mouth latched on to his neck, and the worst part was that he didn't even regret it. It had felt so good, and Sunggyu had been so sweet about it afterwards, helping Sungyeol clean himself up and simply smiling and ruffling his hair when the younger had apologised for not being able to return the favour, they were already late and had to run back to the office, and–

Wait a minute. Why had Sunggyu even brought that up? It was supposed to be a secret, something between the two of them–

"What is a hand down his pants?" Woohyun scoffed. "I've seen him countless times before–"

"Seen, not touched–"

Sungyeol suddenly pulled over. He switched the engine off and turned around, towards the backseat.

He was sick and tired of this.

"You two," he said, looking at both of them (OK, maybe bit less at Sunggyu 'cause those eyes were way too dangerous–not to mention that nose and lips and–) "You have two options. One, you shut up and let me enjoy this damn car ride in peace. Two, you can continue your stupid argument out of here, because I swear that if I hear you open your mouth one more time, I'm going to kick your sorry asses out of my car. I don't care how you get back. Is that clear?"

They were both blissfully silent for a moment.

"It's his fault, you know," Woohyun suddenly blurted out. "He kept saying that kind of stuff, and I–"

Sunggyu snorted. "Like you're so innocent, saying 'my best friend here, my best friend there'–"

"I said, SHUT UP!!" Sungyeol screamed at the top of his lungs. He had never been prouder of his dolphin scream, because it instantly shut the two idiots up.

Sungyeol turned back towards the steering wheel and started driving again.

The car was peaceful, quiet after that. Sungyeol sighed in relief. Finally, no more bickering or stupid bragging or any like that. Maybe they could do this, get to the end of this day without killing each other first.

From the corner of his eye he could see Sungjong turning around to face the backseat. For a moment, he felt grateful: Sungjong was probably going to try and engage those two in conversation–civil, normal conversation–to try and dispel the awkwardness that had fallen over them. You could always count on Sungjong to save the day, bless him–

"You can say what you want," Sungjong began, "But I bet neither of you has ever showered with Sungyeol hyung–"

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N: Based on this. It's from a Japanese drama called From 9 To 5.