Silverlining

Vanilla Latte & Blueberry Muffins

A/N: I have a bad habit of starting stories and not finishing them but I'm really into EXO right now so let's ride this wave out and hope I complete this. 

 

2 weeks later…

Jessica found herself sitting in Silvermist on a Wednesday, buried under piles of work and emails. She had opted for a change in views, skipping the boring view of downtown Seoul (it was beautiful, don’t get her wrong, she just saw it everyday) for a different vibe. She missed the hustle and bustle of the city.

“I can fly out 2 Saturdays from now…Mhmm…That’s fine…Okay. I’ll see you tomorrow. Thanks,” she murmured onto her phone as she penciled in the new trip before disconnecting the call. She sighed before reaching for her vanilla latte. It was only 11 in the morning and she was exhausted.

The table was littered with her laptop, planner, sketchbook and files. Her eyes scanned her to do list. So far, only two things of the eight things that needed to be done were checked off. Letting out another audible sigh, she opened up her sketchbook to review a few drafts.

-----

He was thankful for the peace. He had left the dorm to get away from all the noise Chanyeol, Sehun and Chen were making. It wasn’t that he was annoyed with them, he just needed to get some work done for his university classes. He had remembered the café he saw the former SNSD member and had decided on the spur of the moment to go there.

He had spotted her as soon has he entered the moderately busy café. Glancing around the café quickly, he took note that the customers were mostly business people who didn’t seem to notice him or Jessica. Deeming it safe, he stood in line to get himself a cup of coffee and a blueberry muffin to share.

-----

She was startled out of her concentration when a blueberry muffin came into her view. Looking up, she was greeted with a smile from the same blonde man from two weeks ago.

“Is it okay if I sit noona?”

Leaning back against the wooden chair, she nodded her head while taking a quick glance around their surroundings.

“Is there something I can help you with Baekhyun?”

“Ani, I just thought you might want some company.” He shrugged, giving her a small smile before taking a sip of his cappuccino.

Raising her eyebrows at his answer, she didn’t correct his assumption. “Do you not remember what I had told you last time?”

“Do you not remember what I said last time?” he challenged, as he pulled out his laptop. “Besides, why did you let me sit?”

“Would you have left if I said no?”

Shaking his head, he responded, “Probably not.”

“I see.”

“Let’s not argue noona. It’s a beautiful day and we both have work to do.”

Shaking her head, she chose to let the situation be and continue her work.

-----

3 hours later….

Closing his laptop, Baekhyun glanced over to Jessica. His eyes roamed her profile, noting changes from the last time he got a really good look at her. He noticed her thinner frame and the dark circles that lined the bottom of her eyes. And though she still looked beautiful, he had known her long enough to know that she wasn’t eating or sleeping well.

He thought about what it felt like, to lose your family the way she did. He had lost part of his family too, but he still had the other eight. But she had lost all eight sisters. Did Tao, Luhan and Kris feel the same too? Did they feel like they lost their family as well?

He had heard the rumors but the company and SNSD were tight lipped about what had happened. Taeyeon didn’t even confide in him.

But the more he thought about it, he more he wanted to take care of her. Her exhaustion was clear for everyone to see. Her weight loss was becoming more evident that soon the tabloids and netizens would slash her down for being anorexic. He wanted to be there for her. They way he wanted to be there for his friends.

“Do I have something on my face?” she asked bluntly as she closed her sketchbook and looked at him.

Not ashamed at getting caught, he shook his head. “Ani, let’s go get some lunch noona.”

“No,” she replied without a moments hesitation.

“Waaae,” he whined like a little kid.

“Must I keep repeating myself?” she retorted, opening up her laptop.

“But noona, you must be hungry,” he tried to reason. “My treat.”

“No,” she replied. “I still have work to do. And I’m not hungry."

“Noona,” he said seriously. The seriousness of his voice caused her to looked up. “Please, let me do this for you.”

That last sentence struck a nerve and anger flashed in her eyes. “I don’t need your pity, Baek.”

“I don’t pity you,” he replied simply. He scanned her face, trying to read what was going on in her mind. 

“Then why are you sitting with me? Talking to me? Asking me out to lunch? As if you care?” she lashed out. She couldn’t stop the words from flowing. Couldn’t stop the ache in her heart.

“Please noona, stop…” A few people were staring at this point, curious what the couple were arguing about.

“Then answer me.”

“Because I want to,” he responded calmly. ‘Because I want to be there for you.’

Unable to respond. She packed her belongings and abruptly left, leaving Baekhyun to his thoughts.