What Are You?

I Hate You!!!

 

The sun was up and I was awakened from my sleep by a natural alarm clock, a rooster. It cockled at the top of its lungs in the morning, having sensitive ears and unused to the lifestyle here, I woke up easily. I looked around and found the place the same as when I arrived.

  My room was as big as the room I had at home, comfortable. The bed was smaller though because it was a single’s mattress laid on the floor. I still had the pink flower printed blanket over me so I pushed it aside and got up to my feet. The bathroom was sadly shared between the family members so I had to walk to the bathroom, thinking I’d have to wait but it was as good as empty.

  After my bath, I went down to join them for breakfast. I had on a pair of capris, a loose long-sleeved t-shirt that made me wear a tank top underneath due to its oversize collar and a pair of sneakers. My hair was tied loosely in a ponytail and swished from side to side as I walk down the stairs. As soon as I reached the kitchen, I smelled bacon, freshly toasted break and when I opened my eyes, I saw scrambled eggs and baked beans. They were your ordinary type of English breakfast only fresher.

  “Ooh, morning dear!” greeted my aunt as she poured some coffee for my uncle. He was reading the paper and held out his cup to his wife when he looked up and smiled.

  “Breakfast?” he asked as he took a sip of his coffee before placing it on the table and flipped to the next page of his newspaper.

  I sat in an empty seat beside him and his wife came with two jugs in her hands. One was orange juice while the other was hot brewed coffee. “Juice or coffee dear?” she asked and I pointed to the delicious coffee, with steam coming off of it. They were fresh.

  She poured a hot cup for me and when I took a sip, it sure made my morning. “Wow! That is some good coffee.” I told her and I swore I thought she had turned pink.

  “I keep telling her that but she says my taste buds have gone rotten.” Uncle Kap Soo joked.

  “Where’s Joong Ki and uh . . .” I had to recall the other guy’s name because he really left a bad first impression on me. “Ah, where’re Joong Ki and Hongshik?”

  “They’re in the provincial areas, helping out the old folk.” Uncle Kap Soo answered and then continued to read his paper.

  “What are you planning on doing today dear?” my aunt asked.

  I stuck my fork into one sausage and said, “I guess I’ll explore the place a little.”

  After stuffing my face with breakfast, I decided to walk off the food in my stomach. I brought my phone with me and walked towards a barn. It looked like the typical barn you see on TV, red and white. I pushed open the doors and was surprised to have found it empty. I was disappointed of course so I left and shut the doors behind me. I was unsure of what to do until I heard a horse’s neigh.

  I turned around and there I saw it, a black stallion. It was defiantly beautiful as it restlessly ran along its gates. Its maneblowing in the wind and would stand on its back hindquarters as it neighed. I was absolutely breath-taken by its sight so I came closer.

  I was admiring its beauty when suddenly I heard someone say, “What are you doing here?” I turned around and found him, Hongshik, leaning against the barn wall with his arms crossed.

  “Just exploring . . . you?” I said plainly.

  He sneered and said, “Unlike you, I have things to do.”

  I was getting annoyed by his cockiness. This guy was definitely unfriendly. I turned to the horse behind me and then asked him, “I’m guessing your next job is to calm this stallion?”

  He studied the horse and then nodded while tipping his cap before saying, “Yes ma’am, so if you’ll excuse me . . . I have some taming to do.” He slid under the gates and I watched as he hung his hat on one post. The horse wasn’t happy with his presence. He didn’t move away from the post though. Instead, he looked up to me and said, “Well?”

  I asked, “What?”

  “I’m sorry but it seems to me that the horse doesn’t like your presence.” Hongshik said with a smile and I was infuriated by it.

  “Excuse me?” I said. “But it seems to me that the horse doesn’t like your presence. What did I do to aggravate such a horse? I only stood here!!”

  “Exactly,” was all he replied and I just couldn’t stand it. What he was saying was nothing but that smug face, that hard-headed attitude, just everything about him made me sick to the core.

  I grumbled and my heels to walk away. I met up with Joong Ki who held his hand up for a high five but I just walked past by him like he was nothing. He just watched me as I continued stomping my feet towards a big tree. I plopped myself onto the grass and crossed my legs beneath me as I crossed my arms.

  I kept mumbling to myself, saying he was one brute. He was an , he was a douchebag and many other curse words I could come up with and spit out. I was so angry with him I took out my phone and started to text to Jo Kwon, saying I missed him and needed a guy like him around. As soon as I pressed ‘send’ I immediately got a text saying my message could not be sent.

  I wondered why until I saw it, my service bar was zero. My phone didn’t have any service. It was like I was in a twilight zone! A moment ago I was amazed by the place’s beauty but now it felt completely uninteresting – all because of one arse and there’s no reception!   

  I just watched my phone on the grass, the small blades of green swished from side to side due to the wind. I felt like writing but I didn’t have my computer with me. I had thought the place was in a Stonehenge era but seeing the cottages and ranches, I didn’t think reception was a problem. Guess I thought wrong.

  “Hey,” I heard someone call out. I looked up to find Joong Ki coming my way with a basket of something in his hands. He sat opposite of me and asked, “Hongshik giving you a hard time huh?” He probably guessed from before and the expression I had on.

  “Why is he like that?” I asked and leaned my back against the tree bark. “He’s like any typical, smug, annoying hard-assed jerk you see every day! But why is it he gets on my nerve so much?” I asked Joong Ki in exasperation.

  Joong Ki only laughed at my statements and handed me an apple. He took a bit out of one himself before answering, “Hongshik has always been that way. He takes a long time to get along. Plus, he never likes city people like you. He’d encountered a few who were willing to buy the lands here for industrial reasons. Hated them ever since.”

  “But I’m not like those people! I work at a news agency for crying out loud! I’m a journalist!!” I said and took a huge bite out of my apple after wiping it vigorously against my top.

  “Give him time, he’ll warm up to you soon enough.” Joong Ki said, trying to calm me down. When I looked to Joong Ki to see what care-free expression he had on and found myself surprised to see him already done with his apple. Mine had only been eaten halfway.

  He took another as I said, “So, how long did it take for you guys to get close?”

  He thought long and hard before saying, “First glance.”

  “Pardon me?” I asked for him to repeat and explain.

  “He’s my brother remember?” he said and my eyebrows furrowed.

  “But I thought you guys weren’t really brothers . . . you guys don’t-” I wanted to continue but eh cut me off.

  “I know, I know. The both of us don’t look anything alike but my father says we’re brothers and I never argue with that.” Joong Ki was usually all smiles when I met him the first time. Now, his smile was gone and all was left were eyebrows pulled together like he was in serious thought. “Hongshik has always been there for me, he was already four when I was born so it was only natural for me to think of him as my brother. We live together, eat together, work together even sleep together at times – but not that kind of sleep, get what I’m saying?” he joked at the last bit with a small smile but then went back to being serious. “Hongshik and I . . . we go a long way. When we were kids – or maybe when I was a little kid – I’d ask Hongshik why we looked so different. He’d get teased and the role of the big brother turned to me. Those mean kids kept saying he was picked off the street by my father because his real mother abandoned him. I remember those days, they were sad.” It was quite for a moment and my half-eaten apple seemed to look unappetizing. “Well,” he said suddenly, clapped his hands together and returned that smile he usually had on. “Would you like a tour?”

  “Huh?” I asked him.

  “A tour of the place; would you like one?” he offered and he looked adorable with his shirt tucked into his jeans and the boots on his two feet.

  I dwelled over the thought. I gave him another look and seeing that adorable smile again I just had to agree. “Alright, I’m down for one.” I stood up after he had and then grabbed his wrist as he turned around to ask, “You don’t charge, do you?” It was supposed to be a joke but he made a thinking face.

  “Hmm . . . let’s see. There’s the cart ride, then the sheering of sheep, the stables, barns and don’t forget the flower meadows. All in all should be a few thousand.” Joong Ki said as he places his hands on his hips to see my reaction. Of course my jaw dropped and he immediately laughed at my reaction. He threw his head back and then said, “I’m just joking!” in between laughs.

  I gave him a good solid punch in the arm and he just rubbed the arm with his smile still plastered on his face. He led the way to the ranch where herds of cows were eating. He went over to one who had a bell around its neck. He explained as he pat the cow’s neck that she – yes, it was a girl – was a cow for milking. He added he had more in the barn, showing his finger in its direction and of course when I turned around it was in the direction of the building I had just come from.

  As we walked, he explained the history, saying this place used to be baron. He said Uncle Kap Soo was in need of money and started small with a small plot. He had bought only three cows and few hens and a rooster for eggs. When he had enough, he invested in a horse. Joong Ki was beaming with pride as he said the horse was the best among the ranch, used to take part in a race and won numerous first place prizes. He said we’ll visit old Vulpine – the horse’s name – later after we’ve seen the sheep.

  I had a fun time giving the lamb milk as Joong Ki tried catching one sheep with his shepherd and took out the sheerer. He sheered the sheep in front of me after I was done milking the lamb and he did it quick and fast. I was impressed by the skill and he showed me the fleece. He splayed it across the floor and fixed the edges with a pair of scissors, stuffing them in some bags as he explained where they went. He said that once they’re sent to factories to be balls of yarn or in rolls of string, they’ll be exported to other countries.

  After the sheep, we were headed for the horses. As we were on our way, we happened to have passed by fields from the hills we crossed over. Just below, were just meadows of flowers in colours I had never knew existed. I crouched down and plucked a yellow flower. I curled its soft stem around my finger with its flower faced upwards towards me and made it into a ring. Joong Ki saw and he just smiled.

  “Here we are!” Joong Ki exclaimed once we were in the stables.

  The place looked like a typical horse stables. Multiple horses stayed inside their cubicles, with hey scattered across the stone floor. Their food and water are all given by yours truly, Joong Ki. The horses though, had their heads popping out to check on the new visitor visiting their stables. I was admiring a white horse that looked tall and stealthy, made me feel like riding it.

  “And here’s Vulpine!” Joong K said from the far end. I came closer and there Vulpine was. You could sense he was old, eldest among the horses there. Joong Ki soothed its head, patting it, scratching it behind the ears and such. “Don’t be afraid . . . touch him.” Joong Ki said and led Vulpine closer to me.

  I shot him a look that said, ‘Are you sure?

  He just took my hand since I was too unsure and placed it on Vulpine’s head. He pressed it there for a moment before slowly lifting it off, making my hand the only one on Vulpine’s head.

  I was scared but it slowly faded away since Vulpine seemed calm at my touch. I came closer to him and then moved my hand down to the underside of his side and then travelled to his neck which soon reached his body. His fur was soft and smooth as silk. He was muscular, well-fed of course and definitely healthy. The best word to describe him was just . . . “Beautiful.” I said in awe.

  “Do you want to ride him?” Joong Ki asked from behind me. He seemed amused by the tone of his voice. Probably from the way I was admiring the horse. It wasn’t every day I get to touch a horse.

  I turned around and asked, “Could I?” At that question, Vulpine neighed, bobbing his head up and down and I pulled on the reigns around his neck as I soothed his head to calm down. I didn’t know how I was able to do so, it seemed so natural.

  “Looks like Vulpine don’t mind.” Joong Ki said and then did he pull out a saddle from somewhere to say with glee, “Let’s prep.”

  I watched as Joong Ki strapped up the saddle on Vulpine’s back. He fixed the reigns and then he held out a hand to me. I took it gingerly and then he partially kneels down on one knee so I could step on his two hands that will support me as I get on Vulpine. Once I’ve mounted on him, I was unsure what to do next. Do I go now?

  I looked down Joong Ki who was giving me a thumb’s up and then asked, “Ready?”

  “Wait!” I stopped him as his hand was in mid-air to slap Vulpine’s behind. “Shouldn’t you tell me what to do to stop or turn him around? Isn’t that what people like you do before we start riding your horses away into the sunset?” I said hysterically in one breath.

  He just smiled in a cunning way, making me feel uneasy deep in my gut. He then said mockingly, “Oh, you’ll know what to do Hannah-ssi.”

  I gulped down my saliva and braced myself for what was to come after Joong Ki had slapped Vulpine’s behind. It was all going too fast as I tried to recall. One minute I was on the horse, the next thing I knew I was on the ground, sore all over from the fall. It had seemed that my grip on the reigns weren’t firm enough and since Vulpine stood on his back hindquarters due to Joong Ki’s slap made me falling off easier.

  I heard Joong Ki panicking at the sight of me motionless on the ground and ignored the now rogue horse. “Oh! Hannah, are you okay?!” he asked.

  I opened my eyes and grimaced at my aching back and sat up slowly. Joong Ki kneeled on one knee beside me, waiting patiently for me to say something. I was about to say ‘I’m fine’ when a gush of wind blew beside me, blowing my hair in my face just as I had said “I’m-”. I looked to the source of the wind and saw Hongshik on the black stallion from before. He rode the horse as fast as he could, chasing after Vulpine in a speed as fast as wind. Any faster and he would be flying.

  In hand, he was lassoed a rope and then onto Vulpine’s neck. Still steering his ride, he pulled Vulpine close and kept saying, “Whoa! Calm down boy!” Since his words didn’t do much help, he got off his black horse, still held the reigns to it and pulled Vulpine close to him. I was shocked to see Hongshik tending to the horse, calming it down, talking to it, saying things like, “It’ll be fine.” When Vulpine had calmed down, pulling both horses with each reign in each hand, he brought them over to us.

  Joong Ki helped me up and I dusted off the dust on me. I didn’t know why but I felt like I didn’t want Hongshik seeing me like this. Judging from the expression he had on, he wasn’t too happy with what happened. He stuffed Vulpine’s reigns to Joong Ki and asked, “What . . . happened?

  Joong Ki stutteringly said, “Well you see . . . Hannah wanted to ride a horse and well . . .” Joong Ki giggled nervously and smiled weakly but Hongshik didn’t back down.

  “There are other horses. Did you have to take Vulpine?” Hongshik asked; his tone raised a little.

  “I’m sorry, Hongshik.” Joong Ki said while he covered his head as if sheltering himself from one punch he’d receive by Hongshik for what he did. He continued, “I forgot Vulpine doesn’t like being hit in the back. That was why this happened.”

  Hongshik didn’t comment anything on Joong Ki’s words. Instead, he looked to me, practically scanned me up and down and asked a question I had definitely unexpected coming from him, “Are you okay?”

  I looked to Joong Ki as if for reassurance that he was asking for my condition. Joong Ki looked to me through the crooks of his fingers covering his face and decided to ignore him. I answered, “Just peachy.”

  Hongshik didn’t need anything else from me. He got on his new black horse and then looked down to Joong Ki to say, “Put Vulpine back where he belongs and don’t ever take him out of his stable again.”

  “Roger that sir.” Joong Ki said and off Hongshik went, riding into the sunset; leaving Joong Ki in a buckle and me in amazement.