For Some Strange Reason

Always Watching From a Distance
"I'm the class President, Hong Sang Tae. You can come to me when you need help," he said.
 
For some strange reason I get the feeling (I see this mental image I have of him) that he is staring at me from behind. I keep walking. (I didn't know this would be something reoccurring between the two of us).
 
--
 
The first time I met him (the very first time I met the real Sang Tae) it was mother's day. Throughout the whole day he kept complaining how such a holiday existed and was even celebrated in school (it was the first time his whims were not heard). They held an event at school.
 
His mother never came. (And so did mine).
 
He looked at me, surprised almost that he wasn't alone this time.
 
"Ah Ran where's your mom?"
 
"What's the use of telling her to come when I know she's never going to go anyway?"
 
A flick of mutual understanding left as quickly as it came.
 
"What about you?" I asked him.
 
All ears seemed to turn this direction. (Almost as if I asked the wrong question. Or the wrong person. Or both.)
 
"I hate my mom." He said  sharply (loud enough for everyone to hear; loud enough for both of us).
 
I hate my mother too, for in this world full of liars - she is the worst of them all.
 
--
 
I knew he was always watching quietly in the sidelines. He would intervene in his own ways whenever I got hurt. I tried to ignore this niggling sense that he wasn't all that bad. I tried to convince myself of the mess that he was.
 
I hate him (but that's not the truth). I despise his father and the teachers and the adults surrounding him (and me) but not Hong Sang Tae.