Strawberry Pancake.

You smell like strawberry pancakes.

There are three people that Kim Taehyung wanted to punch right at this moment. The first person is his financial professor who is currently standing in front of the class, discussing a final paper that must be submitted two days from now via email. The second person is his best friend Park Jimin, because he always ended up third wheeling whenever Jungkook and Jimin invites him out. The third person is Kim Namjoon. Kim mothering Namjoon, just the thought of his name right now caused his blood to boil and he swore he'll be the first person who will taste his fist the moment he got out of this ridiculously boring class that not even his imaginary friends can make interesting. Not that he has imaginary friends, but you get the drift.

Everything was going well three days ago, hell, Taehyung even found Kim Namjoon cool with their three years of friendship. Three days ago Namjoon told him something philosophical that actually made sense, not his usual ‘life is like a stone’ thing.

There's this existing concept of soulmates. Where once you meet the person that you are destined to spend your life with, you'll smell something. Well, according to his parents. It didn't make sense when he was young because what if your soulmate smelled like poop? That was ridiculous, until two days ago when he met a certain Kim Seokjin.

Kim Seokjin who smelled like strawberry pancakes that Taehyung loved to the bottom of his hypothalamus, and the way Seokjin looked at him in surprise confirmed that he probably smelled something from Taehyung too (Taehyung had no idea what he smelled like to Seokjin and he hoped that he doesn’t smell like poop but whatever).

It was supposed to go well from there, or what Taehyung thought. Before he could even say hi or some weird like ‘hi, you smell like strawberry pancakes and that's my favorite in the whole world’, Kim Namjoon waltzed into the scene and wrapped his arms around the Mr. Strawberry pancakes's shoulder.

"Taehyung, this is Kim Seokjin. He's the boyfriend that I was talking about."

What the literal ?

Taehyung was one hundred percent sure Seokjin smelled like strawberry pancakes and seriously who else could smell like that? His soulmate. And yesterday, Namjoon was talking about the importance of waiting for his soulmate to spend his life with and honestly what the was that? Taehyung was confused beyond his understanding but he didn’t mention anything about it. He treasured his friendship with Namjoon, even though he just broke his toaster a week ago.

Seokjin excused himself to buy something to eat and Taehyung used this opportunity to ask Namjoon.

"Hyung, what does he smell like?"

Namjoon raised his eyebrow. "He doesn't smell like anything."

Bingo.

"Then he's not your soulmate. "

"I'm aware but it's hard not to fall for him. Besides he said he hasn't met his soulmate and he likes me back. Not bad, right? I just wish his soulmate wouldn't arrive anytime soon, that would make things complicated."

But lo and behold, his soulmate is literally standing right in front of a clueless Namjoon.

"Are-- Are you for real? You were talking about the importance of waiting for my soulmate the other day."

"I did?"

“Yeah. Though you ended up complaining how long you’ve been waiting for your soulmate to arrive and convinced yourself he’s probably dead or an . Maybe both.”

“I talked about it because I wanted to introduce you to Seokjin-hyung and how I’m glad I met him.”

Taehyung couldn't believe this. He was about to respond when he saw Seokjin approaching them.

"Never mind. I have to go, see you around."

Taehyung was snapped back to reality when Jimin not so gently pulled his hair.

"Class is over, get up."

-x-

Taehyung returned to his dorm shortly afterwards. He stumbled on Yoongi, his roommate, laying face flat on the carpeted floor.

“Hyung, are you okay?” Taehyung asked when he recovered from the shock of Yoongi looking dead on the floor, he poked Yoongi’s shoulder to make sure he’s still alive.

“Yeah.” Came a muffled reply from the older boy on the floor.

Taehyung breathed out a sigh of relief. His roommate is still alive. He won’t need to look for a new one to share the rent with. Thank god.

“Don’t sleep there. You’ll catch a cold.”

Yoongi got up to his knees, rubbing his temples with his left hand.

“I wasn’t sleeping.”

“What were you doing?”

“Running away from responsibilities.”

Oh. Taehyung thought. It made sense so he decided to lie down face flat on the floor too. This time, it was Yoongi’s turn to stand up and kick him on the shoulder.

“Don’t sleep there. You’ll catch a cold.”

“Hyung, I’m running away from responsibilities.” He stood up anyway. “Did it work? Am I free from responsibilities now? Are we still paying the rent next week?”

He was met with Yoongi’s famous frown. “Why the are you acting like this.” Yoongi asked but it sounded more like a statement. “Finals is still a month away.”

Taehyung pursed his lips, he contemplated if he should tell Yoongi. It’s not like he doesn’t trust Yoongi, actually Taehyung thought Yoongi is the best roommate to ever have because the latter generally just doesn’t give a about anything. Taehyung could do his pre-exam routine of sleeping with a boxer on his head and Yoongi never questioned it. The only reaction he got from the older was a tilt on the head the first time he saw it and that was it, nothing followed after that. Taehyung thought he creeped Yoongi out but he later learned he just doesn’t care when he tried to explain that it helped him remember that things that he studied. Yoongi also never questioned the animal stuffed toys that occupied sixty percent of his bed. Yoongi is nice. Yoongi is cool. But he doesn’t want to be Yoongi.

So, naturally, Taehyung decided to tell him.

“So I met this Seokjin guy two days ago—“ He was stopped by Yoongi placing a finger on his mouth to silence him.

“Stop. I didn’t ask you what’s wrong. I don’t care, alright? I’m tired.”

With that, the older walked to his bed on the opposite side of Taehyung’s and fell asleep in an instant.

That’s the reason why Taehyung had an internal debate if he should even bother to tell Yoongi. He knew the older male doesn’t care but he really needed to let it out or else he’ll explode with feelings. He didn’t want to tell Jimin because his friend is busy with the preparations for the upcoming dance competition with Hoseok. Jungkook, on the other hand, is useless with this kind of things and it’s not like he can tell Namjoon. Yoongi was his only hope.

He looked at his wrist watch and saw that it’s only three in the afternoon and it’s still safe to wake Yoongi up (he’s confident Yoongi wouldn’t kill him, he will only do that in the morning) so he shook him awake.

“Hyung, please listen. This is important!”

“What’s more important than my sleep?”

“Me.”

He heard Yoongi scoff as he pushed himself up to face Taehyung.

“This better be important or else I’m kicking you out of the room.”

Taehyung told him and true to his words, he did get kicked out of the room.

-x-

The thing is, he doesn’t exactly hate Namjoon. It’s not like he can control him falling for Seokjin but it made Taehyung frustrated because what about him? He doesn’t want to just take someone else’s soulmate just because he doesn’t want to spend the rest of his life alone and in agony. Taehyung is nice but he’s not a saint.  

“Yoongi-hyung is taking pills, right?” Jimin asked him as he poured Taehyung a glass of orange juice.

He took refuge in Jimin’s room that he shared with Hoseok and ended up telling Jimin his current dilemma no matter how hard he tried not to because for the second time today, he’s trying to be a good friend by not disturbing Jimin.

“Yeah.” He answered. The pills. Meeting your soulmate can actually be postponed or delayed. A person can control his scent and there’s a pill that someone should take if he wants to hide his scent. Celebrities do this. “He mentioned he’s not prepared to be in a committed relationship yet.”

“Ah…”

“He said he’ll stop taking it once he’s settled already. With job and all. If they’re truly his soulmate, then that person can wait.”

“Then you should wait too, I guess. I mean, if Seokjin-hyung is really meant for you then he’ll end up with you whatever happens.”

Taehyung is aware of that but he can’t help but to feel a pang of jealousy whenever he’s reminded that his soulmate is having a good time with someone else that is not him.

Taehyung pouted. “Can I stay here tonight? I doubt Yoongi-hyung will let me in.”

“Of course, you can actually use my bed. I’ll be staying over at Jungkook’s dorm.”

Taehyung raised an eyebrow. “What about Namjoon-hyung? Isn’t he sharing his room with him?”

“Oh.” Jimin looked like he’s hesitating to give more details. “Jungkook said Namjoon-hyung will spend the night in his boyfriend’s place.”

Taehyung buried his face on his hands and let out the loudest sob he could muster.

-x-

The night was a disaster. Taehyung couldn’t get a blink of sleep because he was bothered (and horrified) by the thought of Namjoon ing Seokjin while he dealt with Hoseok’s sleep talk about alpacas.

He wondered how Jimin could sleep with that every night but he remembered Jimin snores when he sleeps and is actually snoring buddies with Namjoon. He suddenly felt bad for Hoseok and Jungkook having to deal with that every night. He’s thankful that Yoongi doesn’t snore. He just wear bear printed pajamas.

He thought he should comfort himself with a frappe so he went to the nearest coffee shop in the campus.

He was expecting to get chocolate chip frappe and just leave but he saw Seokjin on the counter and he suddenly, forgot why he’s even in the coffee shop in the first place.

He walked to the counter and his heart almost melted at the sight of Seokjin’s smile.

“Hi.” He greeted. “Taehyung, right?”

“You work here?” Taehyung mentally slapped himself, he should have answered yes, I’m Taehyung and you’re Seokjin-hyung? Like any normal person but he guessed he wasn’t exactly normal in the first place.

Seokjin shrugged. “Yes, my shift is every morning. This is the first time I’ve seen you here though.”

“Yeah, I only come here every night to buy Yoongi-hyung’s black coffee.”

Seokjin’s eyes lit up at Yoongi’s name. “Oh! Yoongi, he’s a regular here every morning.”

Now that’s new. As far as Taehyung is concerned, Yoongi doesn’t wake up in the morning. But then, Taehyung usually attends morning classes so he wouldn’t actually know what Yoongi does in the morning. He just assumed he spend it by sleeping.

 “He’s not really a morning person, I didn’t expect that.” Taehyung managed to reply and he made a mental note to buy himself that shirt that he saw last month as a reward.

“I can tell.” Seokjin chuckled and it almost made Taehyung cry. Almost. It sounded beautiful, who wouldn’t? Plus, he smelled like strawberry pancakes and  this is hard.

He wondered what kind of scent he’s giving to Seokjin right now.

“What can I get you?” Seokjin asked. Taehyung realized he was probably staring a bit too long and he could feel his cheeks burning up.

“Chocolate chip frappe.”

“Alright. One chocolate chip frappe.”

Taehyung handed the bills to pay for it but Seokjin refused it. “It’s on the house, don’t pay.”

Seokjin is an angel.

Taehyung found himself going back to the shop every morning, he even ran into Yoongi twice and Yoongi looked grumpier than usual. Probably because it’s morning.  

Their relationship didn’t escalate (not that he was expecting anything) but the small child in him is hoping that some miracle would happen. He had always dreamed of meeting his soulmate when he was a child and if child Taehyung found out about this, he’s going to be so disappointed. He doesn’t like making kids sad.

But what can he do? He needed to respect the fact that Seokjin is dating someone else and that someone else happened to be Taehyung’s friend. He doesn’t want to break his friendship with Namjoon (but he wants to break Namjoon’s nose).

It made him frustrated and going back to the coffee shop every morning without fail felt like a torture. He couldn’t stop though. Seokjin’s scent is just addicting.

-x-

There’s a party that will be held in Seokjin’s place tonight and he was invited. Yoongi was also invited together with Hoseok, Jimin, Jungkook, and of course, Namjoon. He couldn’t say no (and Yoongi threatened him if he won’t go. He understands the threat because Yoongi doesn’t hold his liquor well and someone needs to be there to take him home in one piece).

So, he found himself in front of Seokjin’s place (that he found out that he shared with a certain Jin Hyosang and he had no idea who this guy is) and it’s actually big. Like, five times bigger than Taehyung’s dorm with Yoongi.

He entered the place and it was full of people that he doesn’t know but he can’t bring himself to care especially if he’s looking at Seokjin waving to his direction, wearing a blue oversized knitted sweater that showed off his collarbone. Namjoon is with him, helping Seokjin with the drinks.

His ing collarbone.

“Hi.” Taehyung walked closer to Seokjin, he left Yoongi in the crowd but he doesn’t really care at this point now. Yoongi is an adult and he’ll manage to take care of himself.

Taehyung also noticed that Namjoon is gone.

“I’m glad you made it.” He heard Seokjin say despite the loud music in the room.

“Yeah.” Taehyung grinned.

“Do you want a drink? What do you want?”

“No, I’m fine. I need to be sober to take Yoongi-hyung home.”

“I see. I need to be sober too to clean up later.” Seokjin chuckled and it was music to Taehyung’s ears.

“Do you want to go somewhere else then? Somewhere less crowded.”

“Sure, how does my room sound?”

Wait. Hold the . Taehyung swore his brain started shutting down.

“Yeah. Sounds great.” He managed to let out a reply.  

 Seokjin hummed in response. He pulled Taehyung with him to which Taehyung assumed to be his room. Surprisingly, Seokjin’s room is not in the same place where the party was held. It was the room next door.

He didn’t question why his room is in a separate place.

Seokjin’s room looks…well….cute. His bed is pink and he had a shelf that is full of Super Mario and Maple Story figurines. Stuffed toys also occupied his bed, same with Taehyung’s and it made his stomach do ten flips.

“Make yourself comfortable. We could watch a movie in my laptop.”

They watched Tangled in Seokjin’s (pink) laptop and for some reason, in the middle of the film, they ended up cuddling each other. Seokjin doesn’t seem to mind so Taehyung just cuddled closer. Seokjin smelled so ing good and Taehyung won’t get tired of it.

It was peaceful and Taehyung almost thought he could fall asleep soon until Seokjin spoke.

“What do I smell like?” Seokjin murmured.

Taehyung froze. This is it. This is ing it. The moment he had been waiting for. Holy .

He buried his nose on Seokjin’s neck to hide the flush on his face. “Strawberry pancake. The one that my mom would always make in the morning when I was young.”

“How domestic.” Seokjin chuckled.

Taehyung swallowed thickly. Gathering up enough courage to ask Seokjin the same question. “What about me?”

His voice cracked at the end of the sentence from nervousness, though it looked like Seokjin didn’t notice. The older male was also nervous.

“You smell like pink Peony.”

Taehyung pulled away to smile at Seokjin. “Peony, I like that.”

The movie in the background is almost coming to an end but Taehyung is no longer paying attention to it. All he can hear right now is the loud noises that his heart is making and the urge to just lean in a kiss Seokjin’s plump lips is strong so he moved his face closer to Seokjin’s until their noses touch but he froze.

“Taehyung? What’s wrong?”

“I can’t do this, you’re with Namjoon and he’s my friend.” Taehyung pulled away.

“Taehyung…”

Seokjin tried to stop him and he’s already making his way out of the room.

He went back to the party with a heavy feeling in his chest. His chest felt like it’s about to burst, together with the loud music in the room that he found seriously annoying right now. If only he could pull the plug of the speaker and tell everyone to off, he would. He saw Seokjin following him with a panicked look on his face and it made things harder for him. Taehyung shook his head, he couldn’t deal with this right now and he honestly wants nothing but to go back to the comfort of his bed and cry. Cry because he was so close to getting Seokjin. Cry because he couldn’t have Seokjin. Maybe someday, but not now. And it hurts because he knew how badly he wanted to hold Seokjin right now and whisper sweet crappy lines from those teeth rotting romance films that Jimin insist to watch.  

He looked for Yoongi in the crowd to drag him home and saw him with Namjoon. Namjoon. Taehyung frowned as he stepped closer.

He was about to tell Yoongi that he wants to go home but it died in his throat with what he heard from Yoongi.

“You smell like mint.” He told Namjoon.

Taehyung blinked. What? He inspected Yoongi’s face and it’s so obvious that he’s drunk and he probably doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Taehyung got curious and stepped closer to Namjoon to sniff him.

Namjoon doesn’t smell like mint. He smelled like alcohol and cigarette.

-x-

Taehyung watched as Jimin and Jungkook walk hand in hand. They invited him out to watch a movie and for ’s sake why do they have to drag him along? They can watch the movie by themselves and it won’t make much of a difference because Taehyung is literally just third wheeling.

But they offered him free food and movie ticket so he couldn’t say no.

“Taetae.” Jimin stopped to turn to Taehyung. Jungkook stopped too but he looked at Jimin curiously.

“Yeah? Are you finally going to tell me friend, you are free from third wheeling now. Go forth and sleep.”

 “Taetae, no. I was going to ask you to bring Seokjin-hyung with you next time. You know, for a double date so you won’t look miserable there.”

Taehyung ignored the miserable part and smiled to himself. He really should bring Seokjin with him next time. A double date doesn’t sound bad.

“Yeah, sure.”

 


Author's note:

As stated in my foreword, I'll be putting up a sequel or more like a clarification chapter on what happened to TaeJin and some SugaMon and JiKook. Hahaha, please wait for it. It might be a bit long.

If you want to contact me please see the following accounts:

twitter: @tsoookie

tumblr: tsoookie.tumblr.com