Promise | One-shot

Promise

“!” Jong In cursed as he slammed his fist on the table after the make-up artist was done with his make-up.

He smudged his face with his hands in frustration, not even minding that his make-up was newly done.

I hate to see him like that.

This was backstage, yes. The venue where every fangirl wants to say.

But right now, I just want to get out.

I was supposed to watch their concert. I was supposed to be one of the audience enjoying their show, seeing their fake smiles.

It’s better than seeing Jong In here almost crying.

How did I get here, you ask?

I was the proxy of one of the staff production of PULP with the AAA pass. Access All Area.

My aunt was originally the one who has this pass since she’s an employee at PULP but because she had to baby sit and PULP needs staffing, I became the proxy right away when my aunt told them I speak and understand Korean.

At first, it was okay because I was curious how they are doing knowing that Yixing wasn’t with them and Jong In and Minseok were injured.

But now, it’s not okay!

Before the concert started, I saw how frustrated they are when the opening VCR were playing. They were preparing for Overdose.

“Guys, I know you’re all upset about today…” Suho started. “But we need to smile in front of them. We don’t want to disappoint them, right?”

And they shouted, “We are One, EXO!”

I nearly cried.

Then I saw Jong In walk towards the left side of the stage facing the audience to sit on his hair.

He was dragging one feet while walking and one bouncer had to accompany him.

Seriously, I wanted to cry.

Yes, I saw them change and I was asked to talk to them because I can understand them.

But I can’t muster enough courage out to do so, especially I see them really down.

Right now, it was the ballad’s segment.

I snatched a water bottle and I decided to just go there and talk to Jong In.

I gave him the water.

He just looked at me.

“Do I look like I’m tired?” he asked coldly. “I’m not even dancing!”

I sighed. I tried to be mad but I understood right away that he was just frustrated. I know he didn’t mean that.

Is this how love feels like? Instead of getting mad, you’ll just understand?

“I’m just trying to calm you down and cool your nerves,” I said.

He sighed and get the water from me. “Thank you.”

“I really wanted to dance,” Jong In suddenly blurted out.

I looked at him. I was both starstruck. Finally seeing him up close and eye-to-eye made my whole body freeze.

“It’s more tiring to just sit down there and getting more frustrated because only 6 of them are dancing.

“When we found out that Lay-hyung wouldn’t be here with us tonight, we all became really upset…”

Our eyes were still locked together and I noticed that his is tearing up.

“…because another Promise was broken. Again. We promised the EXO-Ls in the Philippines that we would be 9 tonight but what happened.

“I wanted to dance in Lay-hyung’s stead. So I wanted to dance using my 200% but with this injury, I can barely stand up.”

He paused for a moment when he spoke again.

“Umin-hyung and I had to say sorry a while ago and it was really touching that the fans shouted It’s okay.”

“Of course, it’s okay!” I told him. “When I found out that the two of you were injured, we’re really worried. I even said that even though I know you’ll be hurt because you won’t be able to dance, it’s okay. For me, it’s okay. I think about your health, your safety and your condition before my satisfaction.

“You don’t know how much it means for us EXO-Ls that you’re present still at this concert. At least we saw you 8. Yixing’s absence is very reasonable and it’s savage. We can’t do anything about it.”

He laughed. “You’re an EXO-L? Why are you here?”

Then I showed him my pass. “I need to. You need staffing here backstage, because as we all know, all were last minute changes. Your blockings, formations… I understand.”

Jong In sighed. “I really wanted to dance.”

That was the only thing that he said.

The concert went on.

After the Drop That segment, I saw Chanyeol catch his breath. He’s pushing himself too hard.

I saw what he did. There was a mini-screen here backstage and I was able to see what they are doing there right now.

I gave him water as well.

During VCRs and Jong In was done preparing, he talked to me. He started opening up just quite. At least I saw him smile during the concert because at the start, he’s really down.

Then everything came into an end. I was surprised.

Why was it ending right away? I thought it was supposed to be a 3.5 hour concert?

I heard the managers said that they need to cut off short the concert because of the two injured persons.

I saw Jong In cried.

That was when I cried, too. They didn’t need to rub it in. They just added fuel to the fire. It was painful already that Jong In wasn’t able to dance. But now he knew that it was became of him and Minseok that they wasn’t able to fulfill the 3.5 hour concert that originally was planned.

I saw him and Sehun talked a while ago during Baby Don’t Cry because it was supposed to be their solo. It was supposed to be the “water dance” as the fans call it.

It was prepared, yes. But it wasn’t used because, of course, Jong In can’t dance.

There were a lot of people around us because they were packing up since the concert was over. I even saw Suho cried while holding the Promise banner. The other members were teary-eyed.

There were a lot of people but I didn’t care. I hugged Jong In while I was crying.

“Don’t cry, it’s okay, it’s not your fault. You didn’t want to be injured. Who wants that?” I said. I was saying Don’t cry but I myself was crying.

Jong In suddenly burst into tears and that was unexpected. He even wrapped his arms around me and hugged me tight; tighter than how I’m hugging him right now.

“I swear,” he said, fighting his tears. “I promise I will do better next time and take care of myself. You PH EXO-Ls deserve better than this and you touched my heart, especially you who’s been with me here backstage. I will really do better next time, I will give you the performance you’ve never seen before.”

I nodded. “I’m looking forward to that.”

I can feel some of the staff looking at us and even the other members.

Baekhyun broke the ice when he joined the hug then the rest of the members did, too.

“Ya!” Jong In shouted. “(Y/n) will be crushed by you guys! Aigoo…”

Yes, he knows me. We were talking every time he’s here and off stage. He asked for name and I told him. I even told him that he’s my bias.

The other members broke hug and we did, too. But his one arm was still wrapped around my shoulders. Sehun gave him a teasing look.

“You just want to hug her for yourself!” Chen shouted and laughed out loud.

“So what if I want to?” he said.

I thought he was just joking but when I looked at him, he was serious!

I want to get of here and shout outside.

“(Y/n), right?” Suho said. “Join us. We’ll have dinner. Thanks for your hardwork a while ago. I noticed you giving out water and towels to our members and ran errands for our make-up artist and managers. And thank you for cheering Kai up. He’s really down a while ago but I saw him smile while talking to you.”

I blushed. Jong In was blushing, too, then he removed his hand on my shoulder.

The members laughed.

The night went on. Yes, they had me with them and of course the other staff, too, at dinner.

I was still with them during their 2nd night of the concert.

We talked about anything under the sun during their off stage time. And I can tell that his injury became better and he himself felt better.

When the concert ended, he approached me and he was grinning.

“You PHIXO are really the best!” he said. “Not only you sing the whole song with us, you do it with fanchants! Some countries only do the fanchants but you guys sing the whole song. Then you also dance with us during the concert! This is the only country we saw the fans sing and dance with us throughout the whole song! Daebak!”

I laughed. “Only in the Philippines! I hope you liked it.”

“We loved it,” he said with his cute smile still on his face.

I can melt anytime now.

“Well, it’s time to go…” I sighed.

Even though I know him personally, it breaks my heart to see him go. They’ll go back to their country. And I know he’ll forget me eventually. Knowing him backstage was an honor and it was an experience that no fan could ever ask for, but reality is, he’ll forget about me, too. I didn’t ask for any picture or autograph. I’m too shy to do that and confidentiality is the condition here backstage.

“I heard you guys will just stop by at Solaire to get your things and go directly to the airport,” I said.

He frowned and sighed. “Yes… But actually, we don’t want to leave.”

“But you have to,” I said and it was quite in a bitter way. I gave myself a mental punch on my head. I wasn’t in the position to tell him that. I’m just being a drama queen here.

I wasn’t looking at him. I was looking on the floor and I noticed my fists were balled.

Then he grabbed my hand. “Come with us. Be there with me until we leave.”

I think my just stopped.

I looked at him. “Actually I asked manager-hyung about this already and he asked permission from your production and they said it was up to you.”

He went ahead on asking for my permission?!

“Please?” he pleaded.

JONG IN, HOW CAN I SAY NO TO THOSE EYES?

“I’ll come with you,” I smiled.

He grinned.

And here we are. At the airport.

Their flight already announced that they are about to board.

“(Y/n),” he said. “Let’s take a picture first before I leave.”

And I was surprised. I didn’t ask for anything from him but look at what he’s doing right now.

So he took his phone out and took a couple of selcas together.

“Using your phone, too,” he said while smiling.

Jong In, really. You rarely take selcas but when you do, they’re a lot.

When we were done taking selcas together, the other members called him.

“I’ll be there!” he shouted.

Baekhyun nodded and gave a thumbs up with a wink.

“I guess it’s goodbye,” I said and sighed.

“It’s not,” he said. “We’ll part temporarily. And I will be back. And as promised, I will give you the best performance that you deserve. Make sure you’ll be there again.”

What’s with him, ordering me around?!

But deep inside, my stomach has swarms of million little butterflies already.

I nodded.

He slowly hugged me. At first I was so surprised that I wasn’t able to move.

“Don’t you want to hug me back?” he said.

Ah, Jong In. Stop yourself.

So I did hug him back.

We stayed like that for a while and he spoke while we’re hugging. “And I promise I won’t ever forget you, (y/n). It was really nice meeting you and I’m glad that I met you there backstage.”

And I felt him kiss the top of my head.

I’m glad he’s hugging me right now because I’m red as a tomato.

We broke hug already and he was still there looking at me.

Suddenly, I heard Chen calling him.

It was really time to go.

“Goodbye,” I said.

He nods. “For now.”

And as if all our fluff moments wasn’t enough, he stole a kiss on my cheeks and ran towards Chen and he waved goodbye to me.

Does he really have an injury? He ran like crazy there!

But did he really just do that?!!!

I touched my cheeks where he kissed me and let it sink in then…

ASDFGHJLPQWYXJNHSBDAKQWHHDAK!!!

** ** **

A month and a half has passed but I never heard of anything from Jong In. Only their shows and also the concerts that were held at the other countries.

And I promise I won’t ever forget you, (y/n).

HA! Promises…

But I have no right to be a drama queen here. It was just a fairy tale, that moment.

It was just a Cinderella story and it was a limited time.

All we had was a picture together but we didn’t get a contact number or whatsoever with each other.

I didn’t upload the picture. I was too selfish to.

And I told myself that I won’t upload until I hear from him.

But that’s not happening.

Our pictures will just stay framed at my room and a wallpaper in my phone.

Then someone named Jongin Kai added me on LINE. I accept everyone there in LINE because I barely use it. No one uses LINE that much here in the Philippines.

Then s/he chatted me.

Jongin Kai: (Y/n)!!!

I was surprised why s/he knows my name. I felt my heart stop again, because a thought crossed my mind. But I don’t want to assume. I’ll just get hurt.

Me: How did you know my name?

Jongin Kai: It’s written here…

Oh yeah. My name is here in LINE because I don’t want fake names.

Me: O-kay… So what do you want?

Jongin Kai: Why so cold? :( I wasn’t able to get in touch with you these past days because I looked for your contact info! I realized how stupid I am for not getting any contact info before we left there! I haven’t realized it not until Baekhyun-hyung asked if I got your number!

Oh.

OH MY GOD.

No. There’s no assurance. What if this guy is just trolling me?

Me: So how did you get this contact?

Jongin Kai: I asked our manager about it. I asked if I could get your contact info. So he talked to the organizers there at the Philippines and asked for it. They found you and they said that you were a proxy staff so they had a hard time getting your info. They called your aunt who I heard was supposed to be there in your position. I’m glad you were the one there! Thanks to your aunt, she gave me all your social media account info!

AHHHH! So that’s why my aunt was asking for my Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LINE, Kakao…

But yeah I don’t use Kakao, just LINE.

And I think this is the most private SNS that Jong In could use so he contacted me here.

Me: How do I know it’s really you, Jong In?

I am still in doubt. I know a lot of people use his name here in LINE that’s why it’s safe that he used it, too, so that others won’t bother adding him.

And his profile here is set private.

Jongin Kai: I understand why you’re doubting. Give me 10 minutes, I will prove it to you.

Me: Okay.

So I waited.

So after more than 10 minutes, my best friend who’s also Kai-biased chatted me:

“CHINGUUUUUUUU!!!! KAI CREATED AN INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT!”

Yes, I know he deleted the first one.

Okay, I’m nervous right now.

I replied to her: “How do you know it’s Kai’s account?”

Friend: “The other members followed him! Chanyeol, Sehun, Baekhyun…”

Oh, no. Is this what he meant when he told me to give him 10 minutes!?

Friend: “…and he follows the members as well.”

I just seen her chat and she was still typing.

Friend: “WHY THE HELL IS HE FOLLOWING YOU, TOO!?!!!! (Y/N) YOU SHOULD EXPLAIN THIS TO ME, NOW!”

I think I just dropped my phone.

I checked immediately my account and saw his account and by the time I saw his account, he already has one post and it was OUR PICTURE TOGETHER!

Well, one of them.

My friend who was chatting with me tagged me in a post on Facebook with an article with a title: EXO’s Kai revealed his new Instagram account!

Friend chatted me again: “IT’S YOU WHO WAS WITH HIM IN THE PICTURE!!!!!”

I wasn’t replying to her. I’m unsure now what to do.

I chatted Jong In at LINE instead.

Me: Why did you upload our picture?! Sasaeng fans would kill me!

Jongin Kai: You said you wanted proof? Just read the caption first before you become mad.

Me: I’m not mad!

So I opened the article that my friend tagged me in.

It says, “Months after their 2-day concert in the Philippines, EXO’s Kai made an Instagram account and it was a confirmed account because the other members followed him.

It immediately became a verified account by Instagram and he gained half a millions followers right away!

But what the netizens are wondering about is his first post on his account.

It was a picture of him and a girl with caption:

One of the PHIXO’s that I met. I’m just fulfilling my promise to her. She’s a good friend so please don’t bash her. EXO-Ls should love each other, not fight. So be easy on her! She’s really a good friend!

And it was confirmed that Kai was also following his friend’s account.

It was good that Kai is opening up to the social media and everyone appreciates how he fulfills a promise because here we can see his personality that he have kept his word.

Stay tuned and be updated with Kai! Just follow him at @jonginkai__0114”

I was touched by that caption.

He was just fulfilling his promise. He promised that he won’t forget about me and he didn’t. He found a way on contacting me and I can’t believe that!

I replied to my friend who was seriously spamming me with messages: “I will tell you later.”

Then I went back to LINE and replied to Jong In.

Me: I’m sorry if I doubted you, Jong In! This was just too good to be true so I needed to confirm first. And I haven’t heard about you so I gave up on that, that you will remember me…

Jongin Kai: :( At least have faith in me, (y/n). When I say I won’t forget you, I really won’t. Please don’t doubt me from now on…

Me: Sorry, Jong In! (>/\<) Yes! I won’t doubt you from now on. I believe you!

Jongin Kai: So will you believe me if I say… I like you?

__

A/N:

I’ll leave this to you, guys! HAHAHAHAHAHA.

So yeah, thanks for reading!

I will update more these coming days. :)

Read!

101 – Kai x Reader | R-18

Everything Happens for a Reason – Chanyeol x Reader | R-18

One Night Love?! – Luhan x Reader | R-18

Oblivion – Chanyeol x Reader

Identity Change – Jinyoung x Reader (B1A4)