Chapter 2

《 Cosmos 》: Yunrae Entertainment's First Girl Group
20160602101425293pfej.jpg
02. Na Ina
scroll for content ↓

            Shaking her head to let the soft, silky strands of hair flow down her back, Na Ina sighs softly. Blinking, the screen in front of her swam out of focus so the girl slaps her cheeks lightly in a vain attempt at getting herself to focus. Ina had been slumped against the practice room mirror, fooling around on her laptop (although she really should have been practicing like the other trainees in the room) for the past four hours. It wasn’t like she had been unproductive, she had gone to her vocal and dance lessons and tried to produce some songs – but to no avail. For some reason, Ina just couldn’t focus.

            Sighing as she began to feel a headache coming, Ina decides that it’s high time for a break. The Vietnamese girl stands up; ignoring the looks the other trainees sharing the practice room gave her, and makes her way out of the room. There were a bunch of practice rooms under the main floors of Yunrae – two levels of practice studios actually – and they were all connected and fed into a main cafeteria area complete with a coffee machine and a stove in case any of the trainees actually felt like eating (although half of them technically weren’t even allowed to eat considering the strict diets they were all on).

            Grabbing a random mug from the sink, Ina sticks it under the coffee machine and checks to see if there was anything left from the last brew. Examining the white cup carefully, Ina really hoped it was clean. Usually she’d check and maybe even wash it, but at this point it was nearing 2 AM and she still had two hours left of practice so it was understandable to be beyond caring. Luckily enough, the cup didn’t seem to have any noticeable stains and there was still lukewarm coffee in the machine so Ina counted that as a win. Sipping the coffee slowly, Ina felt her muscles begin to relax. Considering she lived in a dorm with six other female trainees, Ina never really got a moment of silence – which especially irritated her. It wasn’t like she didn’t like living with the others, it’s just, sometimes they were so stupid.

            Ina wasn’t sure if it was because of Korean culture or if they had just been raised like that, but the passiveness and general acceptance of feminine roles in society really pissed her off. Ina understood that not everyone saw things the way she did. She was an opinionated individual who wasn’t afraid to speak her piece – but she couldn’t believe some of the things that came out of her roommate’s mouths. All they ever talked about were arranged marriages (are these not a thing of the past? Ina had always thought so) and waiting for their Prince Charming to sweep them off their feet. Ina felt like puking on a daily basis. Her saving grace however, was the fact that most of the trainees were students. They left way earlier than Ina did in the morning in order to attend school and Ina wouldn’t have to see them for another six hours until they came to the company to practice. It left a bitter taste in though, Ina contemplated as she dumps her mug into the sink (someone else would clean it up). Regretfully, Ina had never finished schooling, and, although the younger trainees hated it, she found happiness in watching them do something as mudane as studying.

            “Ah, Ina ssi,” a voice speaks up, startling the girl. “Just the person I was looking for.” Turning around, Ina spots the company’s rap coach, Jeon Minseok, leaning against one of the door frames which connected the cafeteria to another practice room. “Oops, didn’t mean to scare you.”

            “You didn’t scare me,” Ina straightens up, sticking her nose in the air. “I’m just tired.”

            “It’s even easier to get scared when you’re tired I hope you realize,” Minseok grins cheekily. “Anyways, Yoo-nim wants to see you in her office. Up you go.” Eyes widening at the mention of the CEO, Ina blinks in confusion. “It’s not bad, don’t worry,” Minseok reassures her when he sees her deer-in-the-headlights expression. “I think you’ll be pretty happy about it actually.”

            “Alright then,” Ina says slowly, trying to calm her racing heartbeat. She had a notion that she knew what this was about, yet she wasn’t quite sure if she wanted to believe it or not. Ina had dealt with too much disappointment in the past; she wasn’t going to let herself get too excited only to have her dreams crushed.

            Bidding Minseok farewell, the trainee made her way through the halls until she approached the elevators. Pressing the ‘up’ button, the elevator came fairly quickly and brought Ina to the top floor within seconds. Exiting the metal room, Ina gulps in anxiousness. It would be a lie to say she was calm. In fact, she was probably anything but relaxed. But Minseok had said this was a good thing, so she really shouldn’t be this nervous. At least, that’s what Ina kept telling herself as she forces her legs to walk up to Hyeri’s door. Knocking three times before her courage deserted her, Ina holds her breath as she waits for an answer.

            “It’s open,” the voice – Hyeri’s – calls from inside. Turning the handle, Ina lets herself in. As she closes the door, she realizes that almost all of the main staff members were inside of the office. There was Hyeri; obviously, being the CEO and all this was her office, but next to her stood Chen Xiuxin, the newly hired visual director. Ina hadn’t talked to her much, seeing as she really hadn’t had the need for styling or anything like that, but, from what she could gather, Xiuxin seemed like a quiet girl. One the opposite side of Hyeri was Jeon Jinhyuk, Minseok’s older brother and lead vocal coach. Ina had experience working with him since Jinhyuk was also in charge of production and arrangement of music. Finally, the last person in the room was someone Ina didn’t recognize. It was a female, maybe in her late 20’s, with short hair and a no nonsense attitude.

            “Hello,” Ina says cautiously, bowing as she greets the staff members. Hyeri smiles widely at her, practically humming with excitement, as the other adults nod in her direction.

            “Ina,” Hyeri says, “Ina, Ina, Ina.” Unable to keep her excitement, Hyeri breaks out into another bright grin. “I’m so excited.”

            “Really? I couldn’t tell,” Ina scoffs. Seeing as Yunrae Entertainment was a small company and Hyeri was extremely friendly, many of the trainees had a close relationship with her. They didn’t exactly see her as their boss – although at times Hyeri was extremely scary and intimidating (during monthly evaluations for example) – but she wasn’t really a friend. She was more like the affectionate older sister in a sense.

            “Quiet you,” Hyeri laughs. “Anyways, I’m sure you’ve heard about our little project?” Ina freezes, hope and happiness beginning to bloom in her heart. She nods when Hyeri looks at her expectantly. “Yup, we’ll be debuting a four member girl group, under the name of Cosmos. I’ve talked to all of the staffs and looked through all of the latest monthly evaluations and came up with a final line up. And, as you’ve probably concluded, you’re on it!” Hyeri cheers, clapping happily. “This, here, is Han Sanghee, she’ll be Cosmos’ manager. You’ll also be working with Xiuxin ssi in order to create an image and persona for yourself before debut and of course, you know Jinhyuk. You guys will be working closely together. I’ve always believed that an idol group is more than that, you’re not an idol but an artist, and artists make their own masterpieces; so all of the member’s will be partaking in the production of the album.”

            “No way,” Ina breathes, the warmth in her heart spreading throughout her entire body until she was glowing with happiness. “I’m finally debuting?”

            “Yeah,” Hyeri laughs. “I’m sure your other three team members will be just as happy.”

            “Ah, of course,” Ina says slowly, her happiness dying down a bit. She had forgotten about that one little detail. Debuting as part of a group. Ina knew she probably would’ve had to do so eventually, most artists on the K-pop scene were groups. Not many people made it if they went solo. But Ina didn’t really get along well with the other trainees. It was better than before, Ina shivers, not wanting to revisit her time at JYP, but she didn’t really consider any of the other trainees her friend. To debut with them and have to live with them for the next five, ten years... Ina wasn’t sure if she wanted to do that.

            “I’ll let you go now, have to go talk to the other trainees. Starting tomorrow however, you’ll start to have practice as a group. Be here by 7 AM sharp, Xiuxin will start going over your personas and images as a group and as an individual,” Hyeri instructs before practically kicking Ina out of her office. Dragging her feet, Ina decides to take the stairs back down to the basement. Ina hadn’t lost focus of her dream, no, she wanted to be an idol. She wanted to sing and dance on stage and show everyone that she could be successful. But she just wasn’t group material. Even in school she detested group projects with all her heart. And now, now she was expected to live and act as if these three girls who she had probably never even met were her best friends?

            “Hey there,” Ina turns at the soft voice, smiling widely when she realizes who it was.

            “Senpai~” Ina greets jokingly, ignoring how Mirae rolls her eyes. “I haven’t seen you lately, where have you been?”

            “Here and there,” Mirae answers vaguely.

            “So you’ve been skipping around town then,” Ina says knowingly. Mirae was always like that, ever since they met when Ina first entered the company, the other girl would regularly disappear for days on end. No one knew where she went, but Hyeri allowed it (Ina doubts that she’d be able to control Mirae’s wanderings anyways) so no one really thought much of it.

            “Maybe,” Mirae gives Ina a small smile. “Did you just talk to Yoo-nim?”

            “Yeah,” Ina’s grin dies down when she thinks back to the conversation she just had. She really wanted to debut, but now? Ina would much rather go solo rather than be a part of a group. And if she had to wait a little longer, train a little harder, then she was willing to do it. “She wants me to debut as part of Cosmos but I don’t know... I’ve always wanted to go solo.”

            “Ina,” Mirae says sharply, narrowing her gaze at the younger girl. “I understand you don’t like, well, most people. I get that, I’m like that too. It’ll be a struggle for you to make friends and get to know your new members, but you shouldn’t let that stop you from debuting.”

            “I know,” Ina sighs. “But am I not good enough for a solo? Am I still so lacking in areas that I have to be part of a group so other people can make up for my mistakes? Am I really that bad–”

            “Is that what you think being part of a group means?” Mirae asks. She looks at Ina with a stoic expression, causing the taller girl’s excuses to die in . “Ina, being a part of a group doesn’t mean you’re weak. It doesn’t mean you’re bad, or that you’re not talented. People in a group make up for each other’s shortcomings, no one can be perfect at everything after all. But that’s not all. It’s a collaborative effort Ina. Soloists are amazing, they get all of the attention and fame, but it’s stressful. There’s no one to fall back on if they mess up. No one to help them during interviews. No one to take the attention away when they embarrass themselves. Groups grow, develop, and improve together. You’re not untalented. You can sing perfectly fine and your dancing has definitely improved. You’d definitely be able to debut as a fantastic soloist Ina, but I trust Yoo-nim’s decision. If she thinks you’d be more of an asset as part of a group then I believe so as well.”

            “...Thanks Mirae,” Ina says softly after a moment’s of silence. “You really help me out a lot, you know that right?” Ina looks up and smiles at the Japanese trainee.

            “No, but if you buy me a coffee then I guess that’ll be proof of it,” Mirae replies, reaching up to pat the other girl on the head.

            “Sure,” Ina laughs, the weight of her insecurities lifting from her shoulders. She would debut, even if it she had to force herself to interact with her other members. Even if she had to fake a good relationship. All that matters was that she proved herself on stage and made something of herself. And hey, if she fell in love, made a couple friends, and experienced some amazing memories along the way, who was she to say no to fate?

Author's Note

I hope I got Ina’s personality down right? She was a bit mellower here because she was anxious about the whole debut thing I guess. If I ever write your character wrong – feel free to tell me! I find characterization really important so your criticism helps me improve!

Also, I'm going camping this weekend so I won't be as active but fear not I am always thinking of what kind of to throw at this lovely bunch of characters xD

Hope you're smiling!

~ Yun