Old feelings die hard

The Pain in Love

Minhyuk was smiling his signature sunshine bright smile. But if one were to look closely and observe just for a minute, they’d see that no matter how big the curve of his mouth is happiness was not present in the eyes of its’ owner.

 

The fair haired boy kept his attention to one of s as subtly as he could, sitting in the corner barely hearing what the interviewer was saying. He knows that he should be more focused, be as professional as he can be. They just debuted, not even a year old. He can’t afford to make anymore mistakes and he tries his best. Dear god, did he. Minhyuk tries to avoid looking at if possible, minimize any interaction without raising any suspicion. However sometimes he just finds it close to impossible. How can he when Wonho does his cute little laugh and smiles till his cheeks are full and eyes barely visible?

 

The vocal couldn’t exactly remember when everything started to change. In the chaos and stress of trainings and practices. The fear of getting eliminated hanging over them as they work their hardest. Helping each other out when needed and giving comfort when needed. Somewhere along the line his heart started to beat a little more rapidly when he's with his hyung. A different kind of warmth enveloping him when they hug, an unexplainable joy when the elder praises him or showed him even an ounce of affection. He just didn’t realise how fast and deep he would fall.

 

It happened while they were practicing their dance routine one day when it dawned on Minhyuk just how screwed up he is. He noticed how two of s were being particularly close to each other. From an outsider’s point of view, they wouldn’t be able to spot anything out of the norm. Minhyuk was a different case. He has been watching Wonho right from the start. Since the first time he laid eyes on the elder and thought to himself how can anyone look this perfect. And so he knows most of his hyung’s quirks and habits, like how he’ll cover his mouth if he thinks he is smiling too wide in front of someone he fancies. Hence, it is no surprise that Minhyuk could tell when his crush is feeling a different kind of hyung-dongsaeng love towards another of .

 

Minhyuk couldn’t fault Wonho though, when he thinks about it. Kihyun is really quite lovable. With his cute dimples, and sweet smooth voice. How can one not like him? Heck, Minhyuk himself admits that he’d probably fall for his same age friend if he wasn’t already so infatuated with their eldest. Nonetheless, it still breaks his heart seeing the two interact. He suspects that Kihyun is not totally unaware of the elder’s feelings and maybe even reciprocates them. He noticed the two of them. How their smiles are a little brighter when it’s directed at each other, how their skinship seems to hold more meaning, how they seem to almost be in their own world at times.

 

Minhyuk had to look away when he saw Wonho casually putting his arms across Kihyun’s shoulders and the latter leaned into the embrace. It didn’t matter that they were being recorded because to the untrained eye, there was no meaning behind the gesture. It took all his willpower to remain smiling, act like his heart's not breaking into a million pieces right at that moment. Minhyuk wasn’t even sure if their interview was coming to an end or how long more they have to stay. He just prays that no one notice him at that moment. Hence, he couldn’t be blamed for jerking when he felt a warm palm on his thigh. Turning to his right, he saw Shownu looking at him with concern. He subtly shook his head, signaling to his leader that everything is alright. He didn’t want anyone to know what’s happening. He didn’t want anyone to look at him with pity in their eyes and show him sympathy.

 

Minhyuk took a deep breath before facing back towards the camera, silently reprimanding himself for his moment of weakness. He doesn’t miss the light squeeze on his thigh though nor the softly whispered “I’m here”. He managed to pull on a small smile, though he doesn’t face back towards his leader. The elder knew of the implication. For the first time in weeks, Minhyuk thinks that maybe he doesn’t have to face this alone and maybe he can get over this heartbreak.

 

People say “First love is painful and unrequited love is heartbreaking” and when your first love is unrequited, it’s almost like death. But that doesn’t mean you actually die. Not when there are still people who cares and love you. And Minhyuk is glad to realise that he has that already.


“Thank you.” he says and if the audience were to see them, they’d just think that Shownu was smiling at the news of their song topping the charts.