Friends or

Just Friends?

Everyone around me told me that a guy and a girl can never be just friends. Even if I was considered as a tomboy. I used to brush it off, saying that it is impossible for me and him to be together; but now I have to admit that what they said is completely true.

 

“Amber, what are you thinking about?” The man in question’s face is just inches away from mine, which is freaking me out. Funny how this didn’t bother me a month ago but now it does.

I look away, because the sight of him just kills me; “None of your business.”

(Except that it is)

He moves away from me, arms folded. “What did I do wrong for you to ignore me like this?”

“I think you should go back to class if you don’t wanna be late.” I change the subject.

He takes a glance at his watch, “Thanks for reminding me Amber, I’ll see you later alright?”

He hangs his bag on his shoulder, waving goodbye before rushing to class leaving me on the bench.

 

I hate feeling like this honestly.

I mean, my best friend; why him out of everyone?

I can’t bear to be close to him anymore, but then I don’t want our friendship to end either.

What a dilemma.

 

 

Class ends for the day as I step out of school, and the sky had to cry on me.

“God damn, why does it have to rain when I didn’t bring an umbrella!!” I curse out.

“You forgot about me.”

I know that it’s him, standing right beside me with an umbrella. It’s weird, when I have an umbrella; he doesn’t and vice versa.

I would really want to just run back to the dorm with my hoodie on but I can’t risk getting sick when exams are getting near.

“Let’s go, Onew.”

 

We have to walk through the school’s park before reaching the dorms so I have like ten minutes to walk in the rain with my crush / best friend by my side. Just great.

“Why are you being so quiet?” He speaks up.

I put my hands in my jeans pocket, “I just don’t have anything to say right now.”

“You changed.”

We came to a halt in the middle of the park, him still holding the umbrella over us.

“Can we not talk about this in the rain,” I reasoned.

Onew pulls me closer to him, “Okay, but stick closer to me if you don’t want to get wet.”

He hangs his arm on my shoulder, just like what he used to do but now it gives me a totally different feeling.

 

He invites me to his dorm room since his roommate isn’t back.

 

I sit on the edge of his bed while he sits on his chair, facing me.

“You can explain yourself now.”

My throat suddenly turns dry, heat beating so fast it felt like I could hardly breathe.

“I think I like you.”

He raises his eyebrow, “Of course you like me, you are my friend. Friends are supposed to like each other, at least that’s what I think it should be.”

“No, it’s more than that.”

He finally understands what I am telling him, “Are you for real?”

Onew gets up from his chair and takes the spot right next to me.

I nod, “Are you happy now? That we can never be friends anymore because I just confessed to you and you will reject me?”

“You must be crazy to think of me that way.”

I face him and he slowly brushes off my bangs, “You are so beautiful to me, you know that?”

Our eyes meet as he closes the gap between us.

“I like you too, Amber.” He whispers before gently placing his lips on mine.

 

I wake up the next morning with a huge grin.

I can’t believe that my best friend actually likes me back! It’s all still so surreal to me.

I get ready for class, stepping out of my dorm room to see Onew leaning against the wall.

“Why...”

Onew smiles, holding my hand; “Don’t you remember, now that I am your boyfriend so it’s my responsibility to wait for you.”

I blush, nudging him. He nudges back, smiling.

 

The sight of us holding hands pretty much shocked everyone, including our friends.

“You guys are for real?” Key asks.

Onew and I look at each other before nodding.

 “I knew that this would happen eventually. They were too damn obvious.” Krystal pitches in.

“You guys look so adorable together.” Jonghyun comments.

 

Onew ruffles my hair, “Let’s go get breakfast, Amber-ah.”

‘Let’s go, Jinki-yah.”