Stay

Stay

Clang

Soo Bin stood frozen, soaked from head to toe with water. Laughter erupted from all sides of the room. Soo Bin let out a long sigh and left the room. As soon as she was far away enough, Soo Bin ran as fast as she could to the rooftop of the school. When she finally passed the last few steps of the stairs, she swung open the door and closed it quickly. Soo Bin walked over to the edge and knelt down. She was panting from running and needed to catch her breath. 

When Soo Bin had finally caught her breath, she leaned her back against the walls and closed her eyes. She thought back to when she first came to this school and how she had hoped for a better life. How foolish she was to believe someone like her would actually fit in. After all, who would want to be friends with the daughter of a criminal who was abandoned by her mother. Soo Bin could remember the day her mother left so clearly.

"Mommy, don't go!", Soo Bin shouted.

"Soo Bin, don't worry. I'm just going out for a little while, okay?"

"Promise?"

"Promise"

It had been nine years since that day. Soo Bin's mother never came back. She broke her promise. When Soo Bin's father found out that her mother had left, he was enraged. He became an alcoholic. He would always drink and he never took care of Soo Bin. Soo Bin's father would sometimes beat her. She still had some of the scars. One day, Soo Bin had been watching TV while waiting for her father to come home, when she saw him on the news. Her father had gotten arrested for drinking while driving and beating a cop. 

Later that day, Soo Bin had walked to the police station on her own. The cops found out about how Soo Bin had been treated and how her father was abusive. Soo Bin was put in an orphanage and forgotten about. In the orphanage, Soo Bin couldn't make friends with any of the other kids. She would always be alone. Fortunately, one family took her in. She was able to get a good education and a proper home, but she never fit in. 

Even after arriving at a new highschool, Soo Bin never made any friends. Instead, she became the laughing stock of the school. Everyone picked on her, especially Lee Won Geun. He was the most popular kid at school. Soo Bin had hoped that they would eventually forget about her, but she was wrong. They never forgot about her. Nothing ever changed, except her. Soo Bin ended up falling for Won Geun. She found his smile charming, and during the few times he showed it to her, she loved his kindness. But the fact that she liked him didn't change a thing. In fact, it made it worse. They would pick on her for liking him and the girls would never leave her alone. 

Soo Bin closed her eyes. A tear slipped past her defenses. "Chae Soo Bin, you can't do this here. What if someone sees?",  she said to herself. Soo Bin tried to hold them back, but the tears kept coming. She wanted to be strong and stay positive, but she couldn't keep it in any longer. She was past her breaking point. After years of being picked on, Soo Bin had finally began to feel the reality of it.

"So what if someone sees?", a voice replied. Soo Bin turned to the voice. "W-won Geun," Soo Bin stuttered out his name. Won Geun looked at Soo Bin, his eyes filled with pity, sadness, and anger. Soo Bin kept her head down, hoping that he wouldn't see her puffy eyes from crying. Won Geun had seen the whole thing. He saw her get soaked, he saw her running to her sanctuary, and he saw her break down. 

"Why didn't you tell me earlier?! I could've helped you!", Won Geun shouted. Won Geun had felt bad for Soo Bin. His chest felt tight and his hand tightened in a fist. He felt anger rushing through his entire body. Wong Geun clenched his teeth together and his jaw tightened. He was angry at Soo Bin for not telling him how she felt, he felt angry that they took it too far this time, but most of all, he was angry at himself for not defending her.

Soo Bin was shocked at his outburst at first, but then she grew angry. " Tell you?! You've been treating me terribly, and you want me to tell you how I feel?! I want to be mad at you, but I can't because I like you!" Soo Bin had let out everything she felt. All that anger she kept bottled up inside her had been released. Soo Bin's knees gave out and she fell to the ground. Won Geun rushed over to her. He knelt beside her and pulled her into his arms.

Won Geun slowly her hair as she cried. They both stayed there for a while, not moving from their place. When Soo Bin had calmed down, Won Geun decided it was time for him to say something to her. "Soo Bin, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for not being there for you. I acted this way because I fell in love with you when I saw you. It was my first time feeling like this. I didn't want to appear weak to the others, so I hurt you. I'm sorry." Won Geun gave his confession to Soo Bin. It was truly sincere and she felt it. 

Soo Bin smiled. For the first time in a while, she gave a true smile. Won Geun leaned in and pressed his lips against hers. Soo Bin closed her eyes and slowly kissed him back. It wasn't a rushed or passionate kiss, but it was sweet. It was something she would never forget. When they both finally separated, Won Geun said to her, "I promise I'll be there for you." Soo Bin teared up at the thought of that. Her whole life, people have been leaving her. Now, she finally found someone who would stay.

 

Author's Note:

I would like to thank sprinkleofsarcasm for the poster. You did a wonderful job!