Chapter 19

Rejected Mate

I cannot describe the feeling that I’m having right now. We are in the car on the way to the trails that Jonghyun’s father forced us to go. The Alpha was true to his word and requested a trial with the Elders. If I had refused to go then I would be executed in front of the entire pack. I can’t be executed; Jang Mi needs me. I can’t leave my baby alone.

Technically this is a pre-trial. Usually the trials were held inside the sacred circle of the moon goddess. The Alphas, Lunas and Betas that failed the pre-trails, will be executed there so that their souls would be able to meet the moon goddess herself.

The thought of the whole trails thing was making me tense. My mind kept thinking about the worse that could happen.

What will happen to me? What if there wasn’t enough evidence about that night? If I were to be sentenced to death, who will take care of Jang Mi? Will Jonghyun be alright without me?

My stomach shifts uneasily and I notice that the hands that I’m hugging myself with are pinching into my skin. I release my hands but then I can’t figure out what to do with them, so instead they clasp and unclasp each other as if in constant need of touch and reassurance.

Jonghyun must’ve sense my uneasiness because he reached out for my hand and intertwined them with his. He gently guided my head to rest on his shoulder. I let out sigh, his gesture did calm me down a little bit.

“Ana please relax. Your tense and anxiety are leaking through the mate connection so now I feel it too. I promise you that I will keep you and Jang Mi safe. There is nothing for you to worry about.” He kissed my forehead and rested his chin on the top of my head.

My relationship with Jonghyun is still not okay yet. I still haven’t fully forgive him for what he did but being close to him right now is calming me. I can’t help but close my eyes and relax in his embrace.

“Jonghyun I’m on the edge. I can’t stop thinking about everything that is going to happen. Especially about my about little Jang Mi. What if I fail the trial? She won’t have a mother to grow up with and that breaks my heart.” I said quietly.

I couldn’t bring Jang Mi on the trip, no matter how much I shouted, begged, threatened and cried they just wouldn’t let me bring her. Chae Rin was out of the hospital and she promised to protect and care for Jang Mi with her life.

“Ana nothing will happen to you. Your negativity is not helping the situation. Instead think positive thoughts to help you calm down.” Jonghyun said frustrated.

The car we were traveling in was like a small limo. We had drivers in the front and we were in the back, only separated by a sound proof tinted window like the ones surrounding us.

I rested my head back on Jonghyun’s shoulder as he began rubbing circles into my back. For some reason that was driving me over the edge with desire. Feeling his soft touch on my skin, his delicious smell wrapping around me, it was just too much. He removed his hand from my back only to travel down to my thigh. I held my breath as I looked up to see him staring out the window. This man was going to be the death of me.

He began drawing soft circles into my thigh which increased my desire. Before I could stop myself I let out a small moan and gripped his wrist for him to stop. He whipped his head around in amusement and confusion.

“Did you just moan?” He asked with a smirk.

“Yes, I did. Could you stop touching me? It’s driving me crazy.” I said embarrassed.

“Is it a good crazy?” He asked seductively.

I wanted to tell him to leave me alone and stop touching me. I mean, we still weren’t on good terms but all it took was one y smirk to make me forget about everything and climb onto his lap. Guess two people can play the game. He tensed up in surprise as I placed my hands on his chest.

“W-what are you d-doing?” He stuttered.

I leaned over and placed my mouth upon his to shut him up. My wolf began leaping for joy as Jonghyun responded to the kiss and wrapped his arms around my waist. My skin touching his skin was a complete bliss. Our kiss escalated from passionate and slow to heated and hungry. I felt his tongue evading my mouth as he took control of the situation. I wrapped my arms around his neck as he gripped hard on my waist. I never felt this way with anyone and I was glad to feel this way with Jonghyun, even if he hurt me multiple times.

He’s trying.

I broke away from his mouth only to leave little kisses around his jaw, trailing down towards his neck. He stuck his head in the crook of my neck and inhaled my scent like he was getting high off of it. I was exciting him and I could tell by him poking me on the inner thigh. He groaned when I found the soft spot on his neck and began on it. I trailed my hands down toward his belt and began unbuckling it.

That’s when he grabbed my wrist and his head shot up from my neck.

“No, I took it too far, we shouldn’t be doing this.” He said with a hint of disappointment in his tone.

“Why not?” I said annoyed.

“Ana, I’ve hurt you. I want to make it up to you the right way, not just by having with you. That wouldn’t be fair to you and wrong of me.” He said sadly.

I felt stupid. My mind was clouded by lust and I didn’t think about the situation we were in. I climbed off his lap and scooted to the opposite side. I was embarrassed and didn’t know what to say.

“Don’t be embarrassed, it happens to all mates. Every once in a while, their smell is so intoxicating and their touch drives you up the wall that you just want to them right there and then.” He said.

I cringed at his language. I wasn’t the type to use foul language a lot and tried to avoid it but to Jonghyun it was like a second language he was fluent in.

“You could’ve just said the word instead.” I said

“Sorry, sometimes I forget how innocent you are.” He said amused.

I frowned and crossed my arms over my chest. There was a knock on the sliding glass. Jonghyun slid it open and was greeted by the driver of the vehicle.

“Alpha we have arrived at the location.” He said.

Jonghyun nodded and slid the glass shut. The nerves that had disappeared began appearing again. Jonghyun must’ve noticed because he grabbed my hand and placed a soft kiss on my forehead.

We got out of the car and was welcomed by this giant castle like building. I noticed there were cars next to ours and I looked up at Jonghyun.

“All 5 council members are here since killing the future Alpha of a pack is the worst crime. My father and mother were asked to come as witnesses.” He explained.

“So, who is watching the pack?” I asked.

“My grandparents.” He said.

I nodded my head as we walked toward the gates. We were greeted by a man in a butler like outfit. He opened the gates and allowed us to step in.

“Are you Ms. Choi Ana, member of Bloodrose pack?” He asked professionally.

I nodded my head. He beckoned us to follow him into the castle. We were welcomed by a grand hallway with a giant chandelier hanging from the ceiling. Antique furniture covered in dust and wooden floors covered with dust mites. This place was so big and unkept.

“This way please.” He said in a bored tone.

We followed him through double doors and were welcomed by a giant round table with 9 people sitting around it.

“Finally! Alpha Kim Jonghyun and Ms. Choi Ana, how nice of you to finally join us.” Council member Seu Gun said.

“Let me shall introduce you to Seulgi, Hae Jung, Jun Yi and Joo Man. We are the Official Council of all warewolf packs, chosen by the moon goddess herself.” Seu Gun announced.

We all bowed in respect and sat down. Council member Hye Jung cleared .

“We are all gathered here today to determine if Choi Ana of the Bloodrose pack, really murdered Kim Jinki, who was future Alpha of the Bloodrose pack.” I felt Jonghyun tense up next to me.

“The previous Alpha of the pack stated that Ana had taken Jinki out for a late night walk near the lake. Ana and Jinki were gone for a few hours before they were found. Ana was found covered in blood clutching onto Jinki’s body. There was no sign of rogues nor was there a report from the late night watch about rogues entering the territory.”

I felt tears forming in my eyes as she read off the paper. I hated thinking about that night. If only I hadn’t brought Jinki to that lake.

“Miss Choi Ana, in a clear description please describe what happened that night.” Council member Joo Man asked.

I felt Jonghyun holding my hand under the table as if telling me it was going to be alright. I took a deep breath and began talking.

“The lake on our territory was a special place for Jinki and I. We used to go up there every night and just talk about our day. It was just like any normal night when I decided to take him up there. We were laying down talking to each other when we heard rustling in the trees. He told me to stay behind him while he checked it out. A rogue appeared from the bushes and immediately began attacking him. I tried to help but another rogue jumped from the bushes and threatened to harm me. The next moment they ran away leaving me and Jinki. I rushed to his side and tried to help him but he was losing so much blood I just couldn’t – “

“How do you know the wolves were rogues?” Council member Jun Yi asked.

“I, uhh I’m not sure. I just assumed they were rogues.” I said quietly.

“But there was no report from the night watch about rogues entering the territory and if there was a report wouldn’t they’ve be stopped?” Council member Seu Gun asked.

I didn’t like this man at all. He was a tall man with a bored expression on his face. He was bald from shaving his head but he had a full black beard. He had brown eyes and bored into my soul.

“It wouldn’t make sense if a pack member attacked Jinki, he was loved by everyone he knew.” I said defensively.

“Then your story makes no sense if there were no reports about a rogue attack.” He growled.

“Alpha Kim Jonghyun, as the current Alpha of the Bloodrose pack and having read over all past pack reports have you ever encountered a document about a rogue attack on August 24?” Council member Seulgi asked.

Jonghyun tensed up and looked at me with sorrow in his eyes.

“No I have not seen such document.” He said sternly.

I wasn’t mad at Jonghyun, if he were to lie, he’d surely be in a lot of trouble with the council. They base every trial on facts and reports. Lying to the council was the last thing a wolf wanted to do.

“Reports state that Jinki’s bodies were mainly covered in gashes and occasional bite marks which an underage wolf would not be able to do if not shifted yet. But there are still a few things in the story that connect to Miss Choi Ana, her story does not add up with the documents and facts so – “

“I loved Jinki with all my heart! I would never lay a finger on him even if he did cheat on me!” I shouted out.

I covered my hand over my mouth. I never told anyone that ever. I tried to bury that in the back of my mind and tell myself that it was an accident and all boys do it. I guess I was wrong. The council looked at each other and then down at Jonghyun.

“Did you know about this?” Council member Jun Yi asked.

Jonghyun shook his head as I felt him began to shake. I knew he was getting mad. He was going to lose control because of his anger.

“Well this brings new light to the situation. Even more fingers point to Miss Ana. A girlfriend that finds out her boyfriend is cheating could lead to drastic things. We cannot prove with facts that you are guilty but there will be some consequences.” Council member Hye Jung said.

“Miss Choi Ana will be placed in the front of her pack where everyone can see her and she will receive 50 lashes of canning.” Council member Seulgi declared.

I breathed in and out but air wouldn't enter my lungs. Starved for air, my heart raced at tremendous speeds and my lungs shallowly rose and fell in time. I sat there for what felt like an eternity but was actually only five minutes. Tears were falling down my face and I couldn’t control myself. I needed Jonghyun’s comfort but instead he was standing up.

“Ana is my mate. I have indeed mated with her so the connection is strong.” Jonghyun shouted.

His parents gasped and the council looked around at each other. However I was confused. I didn’t understand why he was lying to the council. That could cost him his life.

“Very well then, Alpha Kim Jonghyun, you will be placed in front of your pack where everyone can see you and you will receive 50 canning lashes. The decision is final, we will be sending someone and they will arrive tomorrow to conduct the canning session.” Council member Seulgi said.

We all stood up and bowed as we left the room. The minute we walked out to the car, Jonghyun’s dad grabbed him and pushed him against the car.

“What are you doing?! You can possibly die! You know you’re not mated to this woman but you said it anyway!” He roared.

Jonghyun pushed him away.

“Well that’s what you do for love, but of course you wouldn’t know.” He growled as he straightened himself up.

“I’m not losing another son Jonghyun.” He growled.

“Well then you better hope I don’t die because you wouldn’t dare tell the council about my lie.” Jonghyun threatened.

Jonghyun’s dad turned pale as he turned around and ushered his mate to the car who was currently crying. I was still trying to figure out why Jonghyun had lied and why did it work?

“Why did you lie Jonghyun?” I asked immediately when we were in the car.

He sighed and turned his head toward me as he held my hand.

“There is a rule with the council. If someone who’s already mated to their mate committed a crime, their mate either dies or gets the punishment. It also would cause more pain to the person who committed the crime because they endure the pain and watch their mate getting punished for their mistakes.” He explained.

I found myself crying while he explained. He was doing this for me, he knew we weren’t mates yet so I wouldn’t feel as much pain but I would still feel emotional pain watching him. I couldn’t let him do that, he could possibly die and I would lose him

“Jonghyun you can’t do this.” I cried out as I hugged him.

“Ana I’m doing this for you. I can’t bare to watch you on their verge of dying, it would be too much. I’ll sacrifice myself so that you can survive for the sake of your daughter.” He smiled sadly.

“Please Jonghyun you can’t – “

“Ana please listen to me. It’s decided that I’ll do it, no one needs me as much as your daughter needs you.” He said.

I looked up and noticed that he was silently crying. It was a heart-breaking moment, watching the toughest man you knew crying in front of you. I reached up to wipe his tears away.

“Jonghyun I need you too.” I whispered.

He reached down to caress my cheek and smiled sadly.

“Two months while you were gone, I would hide out in my bathroom and cry for you. There was nothing but the shower to muffle my loud cries. I would scream and shout but I still felt empty. Sometimes I would fall asleep crying on the bathroom floor. The only person to help me was your mother. Naeun was never there for me, my parents were oblivious but your mother knew instantly and helped emotionally as much as she could.” He told as he rested his cheek on the top of my head.

We sat in silence and enjoyed each other’s presence.

We were going to make it, I just knew it.