The Remembering

Time To Forget

 

So, its Saturday and I'm doing some shopping for my apartment. I'm in Korea because of a scholarship for the Korean University of Arts.  I'm walking to a store. I felt so alone. I see a small bench. I start crying and sit down. I put my face on my hand palms. The tears stream down my eyes and neck. I cry harder than I have in my whole life. My eyes start to ache. I don't know why I came here. Well I do but... The only reason I came here was to leave my past behind. An involuntary flashback comes to me.

                                                                         ~~~~~~

I was walking to my house. The day was sunny but not hot. The air had the lingering smell of oranges. Squirrels chattered up in trees. The day was a perfect Wednesday afternoon. Later I would be sitting in C-Anne's room with my friends. I heard a twig snap behind but dismissed it as a dog trotting down the street. A pain started in my upper stomach. I doubled over and coughed up blood. I put my hand to my mouth and it got covered in scarlet blood. My eyesight went blurry around the edges. Someone hit me on the ribs. I didn't hear a snap. Again someone hit me on the leg. I fell to one knee and coughed up blood all over the pavement. I heard a snarl behind me. I stood up and started to run but consciousness started to slip from my grasp. After that I out, I found myself tied to a chair. I saw that I was in a familiar alley. One me and my friends used to hide. I craned my neck looked around.Then looked behind myself and saw the familiar mountain of dark brown curly hair that belonged to Paulina. I gasped and felt a sharp pain on my stomach. I looked down my stomach was tightly bandaged with canvas. But the ugly truth hit me. My friends were there too. I was only half sure why I was here but I was angry. Who were these people taking my friends captive? I slid the pocket knife I always hook to my long sleeved shirts and slowly cut the ropes that bound me. I looked around and noticed four men. They were armed with long knives and from what I could see no guns. I quickly stood up and used a kick Elly had shown me after she had broken up with her boyfriend. I smiled as I tried to land the kick on the nearest guy but he was clearly trained. I saw a phone lying on a table and did a back-flip. I was always good at gymnastics. I took the phone and called 911 while the men were still to surprised that I had escaped. I screamed into my phone where we were and didn't bother to hangup. My friends -that were clearly unconscious- started to stir. I screamed their names till my throat was sore. I threw the pocket knife without much accuracy. Niche caught the pocketknife with (guess those karate and self-defense classes came in handy!) Niche cut herself quickly and then the others. The men were too busy with me to go to my friends. I was giving the a pretty good my fight. I was blocking them pretty good. One of them cut my arm from wrist to shoulder. Opening up my shirt sleeve. Blood poured out. I let out a scream. I felt my stomach wound open up again. My friends joined the fight. I screamed at them to run as hard as I could. The taste of blood filled my mouth. They didn't Umi, C-Anne, Elly, Niche, Paulina and Coraline. They just kept fighting. I heard a police siren and the fight just became blurrier and blurrier. Just as I saw a police running toward us, Niche's scream filled the air. I looked in their direction just in time to see one of the men dig a knife in an angle through Coraline's heart. My breath caught up in my throat. Her face flickered into a smile. Then she fell to the floor. I kicked the man I was fighting and ran to Coraline's side, dropping to my knees. “Coraline, Coraline, CORALINE!!!”I shook her. “Music”,she said faintly, “Learn to forget... and lov...”. Her eyes rolled back. Umi sat down behind me and looked for a pulse. “Music... I'm sorry.”She said. My whole body started to shake. I turned into the direction of the men. They were being restrained by the police. I hit the one that had killed my half in the stomach. I punched him in the face and was about to hit him in the groin when my friends hold me back. I didn't remember anything from there on. Everything was just a mes of sounds and lights. I couldn't stop shaking.

                                                                       ~~~~~~

As I shook there on the bench, my face pale, I felt my stomach wound open. I looked down, a red spot growing on my light blue shirt. I raised my shirt slightly and saw the wound open widely. I tried walking over to the nearest shop my legs failed me. The last thing I saw was a shadow over me. Oh, and one last detail you should know:

                      Coraline was my twin.