Episode 1

Drowning

EPISODE 1

              It’s just like the usual frenetic  Saturday night in the downtown city of Seoul. Car honks blared everywhere, heavy traffics, some couples could be seen going on a date, or bunch of highschoolers going to the movie or sets up a meeting with some College boys or girls.

                 Jae In smiling at the thought as if she could see what’s actually going on by only looking down the city from the suite she’s in right now. Everything seems so pretty from up there, just like as it always have been.She always liked it that the city never sleeps. She’s enjoying the usual things that happened in the city, even though every weekend just like the same, the repetition of every other one.  Except the fact that she’s now alone, waiting patiently for her boyfriend, Jongwoon, to come. He’s actually the one who told her to come over to his private suite but ended up being late himself.  Jae In turns her back to the sound of the door opening, she jogged towards the door expecting Jongwoon to finally arrived. But instead, all she sees is another man breathing heavily as soon as he shut the door behind him.

“Jongjin?” Jae In called out the man as soon as she realized who he is “Where’s Jongwoon?”

“Hhh...Hyung...he was....hhh”

“What happened? Why are you panting?” She started to worry. Her boyfriend’s younger brother is here in front of her expected to bring some news about what had just happened that might be so wrong. No, something wrong must have been happened. Jae In’s mind starts running wild, what if Jongwoon’s got into an accident, what if he severely injured in a car crash? What if he knows he would never make it while he’s asking her to meet him in the first place? Jae In tries so hard not to let her mind wander no more and reach for her phone to call Jongwoon.

“Don’t call him” Jongjin snapped “Just get out of here...follow me.” Before she could even ask for any explanation, Jongjin already opened the door signaling her to walk out before him. Jae In walked out the door and following Jongjin towards the elevator. He pushed the elevator button heading right towards the basement. It would at least take 3 minutes to get over there from the 21th floor.

“Seriously, won’t you ever tell me what’s actually going on and where the hell is he?” Jae In, as desperate as she sounds, were extremely irritated over the silence in the air surrounding them both, he didn’t even looking at her direction, only humming a few words Jae In could barely hear. “You might feels even worse if I told you”

“Oh, just tell me the damn thing” Jae In runs her hand over her hair “You are, the one who make it worse by acting all strange and hiding things from me. Now tell me what’s going on”

Silent.

“Jongjin?”

“H-he...he’s...theres an accident.” He’s fidgeting “It just happened”

Jae In exhales, not in a relieved way. More like she’s angry because all the worst thoughts about Jongwoon is actually true. “And, where is he now?”

“I’ve called 911 so he might had been taken to the hospital now”

She frowned “So you just left him there after you called 911? Seriously, Kim Jongjin?”

“I-I...panicked, you know. He told me to take you first”

The elevator’s door opened. Jae In following Jongjin out to his car.

“I’ll drive, I couldn’t trust you no more” Jae In takes the car key as soon as Jongjin about to pull it out from his jeans’ pocket. He sighed, so used to his assertive soon-to-be Sister-in-Law. “And you don’t seem like you’re in a good state of mind”

                And there she is, sitting next to the hospital bed, next to her unconscious boyfriend laying on top of it. Fortunately, there’s no huge damage happened to his body, just a bandage wrapped around his forehead.

She sighed “You didn’t seem to be panic?” Jongjin said.

“More like I’m trying not to”

“As if” They exchanged looks.

“What?”

“I’ll better be out” He’s walking towards the door “Coffee?”

“Please, thank you” As soon as the door closed, Jae In noticed that Jongwoon’s eyes slowly flickering open.

“Hey, you’re awake...” She holds his hand, relieved.

“I guess I...am? What happened?”

“Jongjin said there’s an accident, but I don’t think it’s a huge one...” She helps Jongwoon sit on the bed slowly. “How are you feeling?”

“I don’t feel a thing, no I actually feel good, really good. You’re here”

“Oh please, I’m being all serious here”

“Don’t be, I’m totally okay” He grins widely and ruffles her hair. His eyes wandering around the room “I’ve been thinking...what should I do to make it up...I’m supposed to do this”

“What do you mean?” He finally fixed his eyes to his coat across the bed.

“Can you please...?” Jae In following his eyes and get up to get the coat then giving it to him.

“What is it?”

“Ah...where is it” His tiny hands reached into every pockets in his coat.

“You’re not answering me”

“Jae, look for my medicine” He passes his coat to Jae In who just looking at him cluelessly but still obeying his order anyway. She reached out to every pocket, nothing there.

“Try the inner pockets” She’s digging through every single of it until she feels something poked her fingers.

“Found it, but why is this feels like-”  She’s now staring at the tiny black velvet box she’s just taking out.

“Listen” He’s taking over the box from her palm. “I’m going to spend the rest of my life with you whether you marry me or not, but I really hope you say yes” She’s staring at him astonished, shaking her head slowly.

“You’re...unbelievable”

“So, marry me?” He said as he opened the box slowly.

“Well, actually I...” She bit her lip, trying not to laugh also trying not to tear up. “What took you so long, seriously? Making me holding my ‘I do’ for years”

“I am so sorry for making you wait so long” He slid the ring onto her finger and gives her a peck “You deserves the best of me, so I don’t want to rush it”

“But you’re ready now?”

“Totally” He’s cupping both her palms and caressing it gently. “Also I have to confess, this is not happening” He’s taking off the bandage from his head, leaving Jae In dumbfounded, there’s no scar, not even a tiny scratch “My car just...hit the basement wall, not hard. And I suddenly have this idea of...by any chance, did I just making you mad?” He’s studying her changed expression carefully.

“Wow...Oh my God, Kim Jongwoon...” She’s slowly started to laugh with teary eyes. “Why are you so irresistible”

“I’m a fool and everything similiar, you name it”

“This is so silly” She’s covering her face, laughing softly.

“What is?”

“Everything, mostly the accident part” He giggles “I love the proposal though, it’s...unusual?”

“Have you been used to some?”

“No way” She’s now laughing hard “Just, you know...this is so unlike what I’ve always imagined”

“Like how?”

“The full-of-roses-and-candlelight-dinner with on-my-knees kind of proposal?” She’s taking a look at the ring that resting on her finger now “I’d cringe if you’re doing it that way”

“I know you” He smiled “Too well to do the things that you’d hate”

“Exactly just all I need.”


 

 

-I do not own any pictures-