1.

Free Fall

1104 words
note: alternate universe



As much as the earth loves rotating around its axis and how physics is a terrible excuse for calculating the speed of a falling object it has also been a matter-of-fact that Goo Junhoe, a high school junior and a B- student in Physics, was technically a nerd for movies and novels of sorts.

Well, science wasn't his forte but his marks were tolerable so it was basically a win-win.

On another hand, Junhoe was actually what you call a 'genius' during Literature period. It also didn't help that his professor was a y, petite man in his early twenties, who by the way looked three times hotter than the sun in his extremely tight trousers on Casual Fridays, that made the hormonal teenager quite ecstatic and willing to pay all of his attention to class during the entire period. (Hence, the extra credit for being a good student and reciting a lot.)

During his lonesome nights under a thick blanket with his laptop and snack bars, Junhoe would often lock himself in his room and catch up with the last few episodes of his favorite shows that he somehow managed to miss. Some other days he would download the latest movies and binge watch until he had completely passed out. But aside from totally owning up his title as the ultimate dork, he also liked spending the night chatting with his Lit teacher about anything and everything. Medieval to the freaking future, Professor Kim was quite exquisite when they exchanged ideas and randomly made theories about their chosen subject of the evening.

And as much as Donghyuk, his unsolicited yet convenient best friend, would constantly complain about how Junhoe's relationship with Professor Kim was awkward as hell, the former wasn't baffled nor shocked, least to say.

In truth, Junhoe was born awkward. Donghyuk could his arguments away because they were by far more pointless than his perfectly straight fringe. And yes, nothing about it was actual news to the ever great Goo Junhoe.

"You know you could get in trouble for hitting on a teacher, smartass" Donghyuk muttered before he could actually and politely knock on Junhoe's door and enter. The scenario in front of him was nothing new except for the smelly shirt which Donghyuk clearly remembered Junhoe used when they played soccer last time and now casually hanging on his bed frame like a piece of soiled underwear. (Donghyuk was also bad at using references.)

Lifting his favorite blanket up, Junhoe sent his best friend a scowl, "Which I am obviously not doing. Thank you very much."

"Pick-up lines count as flirting, dumbo."

"At least they're not half-assed like yours- will you quite the name calling?"

"Whatever, loser," Donghyuk walked around his room and sighed. None of this was clearly his problem to begin with.

Wait. Maybe most of this was his problem to begin with.

In a game of sorts, Donghyuk may probably be losing over a twenty year old man right now, but he's quite determined to gain something from his totally inconvenient lovesick self. And by that, he means screwing with Junhoe's mind or maybe just being a jerk to him to conclude he was just at a confused state when he notably admitted to himself that he's got the hots for his best friend and he's also probably just insane.


"Junhoe, please see me at my office after your final period," Professor Kim smiled and sauntered off to his next class. Unfortunately, Junhoe was too mesmerized by his teacher's back profile which flaunted his perfectly shaped rear that caused the teenager to figuratively drool his intestines out.

Beside him, Donghyuk sneered upon seeing Junhoe's very inappropriate stares towards Professor Kim's .


While the elder held Junhoe's records in hand, Junhoe took a seat in front of the desk and casually draped his arm over the back of his chair.

"You're failing Physics this year, young man. If you can't keep track please ask for help," Professor Kim started with sympathetic eyes. "Or at least tell me."

"Junhoe, are listening?" Rising from his swivel chair Professor Kim now stood in front of Junhoe and crouched down to his eye level as if he was talking to a child. Junhoe's eyes only replied with less amusement and more disappointment.

"Can I at least get a hug before I get expelled?"

"What? No! Nobody's going to be expelled. Oh my god, Goo Junhoe," with a swift response Professor Kim stood back up and heaved in a sufficient amount of oxygen.

"Look. I'm not what you think I am. With all due respect to yours and my personal life, I have a boyfriend." Professor Kim instantly mouthed out from his utter disbelief. Facing the latter, Junhoe was also taken a shock, "Wait. Really? I really thought you liked me back."

Confused and highly feeling flurried inside, Professor Kim reached for his forehead and sighed for the second time around. All this time his homeroom student had the actual audacity to even think of their late interactions as of a romantic way. No wonder he had to contemplate whether to ignore or just deal with his chessy pick-up jokes every once in a while before. In hindsight, however, he's now relieved that this little issue he had, which he never knew of in the first place, with his student has finally come to a resolve.

"Yes, Junhoe. Now, are we clear that everything about us was just a big fat platonic relationship between a teacher and his student and no, I wasn't flirting back with you?" With a nod from Junhoe, they continued on with the elder's planned agenda for the hour.


Darkness had now surfaced the sky and Junhoe can't believe he's in a sleep over at someone else's house. Donghyuk's house to be precise. Most importantly, he's going to sleep in Donghyuk's bed with Donghyuk's head inches apart from his and this has got to be the weirdest point of their friendship but he'd rather be less problematic for the time being.  

From the left side of the bed where Donghyuk lied he shuffled closer to face Junhoe's long expression. "Hey."

"What?"

"I think I like you."

With a snort, Junhoe closed his eyes and exhaled a long breath.

Goo Junhoe, a high school junior and a B- student in Physics, now understood why he had always despised Kim Donghyuk. And it doesn't involve displacements and velocity nor prose and poetry but he's thankful that Professor Kim made him realize what he truly felt and wanted to say to Donghyuk.

"You're a . I think I like you too."