Dr. Choi

Breathe Easy

The doctor held and kissed the back of Yuri’s hand as she sleeps. The pain she has been encountering for the past days and nights seemed to be more unbearable. He can't stand seeing her in that condition and yet he cannot also stand not being by her side in times like those. He could only offer his arms for comfort, hoping he could somehow take even half of her burden.

----

Flashback from 8 months ago...

"So you're leaving?"

 

"Ne. Iam. Thank you for all your help doctor," Yuri slightly bowed to where the voice was coming from before she continued packing.

 

The doctor noticed Yuri had difficulty chucking her clothes in her bag so he came by her side to help her.

 

“Where are you going to stay? Who will take care of you? Who will take care the both of you?”

 

“I am only a loner but not homeless, ok!? I have a house, of course. And don’t worry about me, I can do just fine. I can and I will take care of us.”

 

“You know, you dont have to do it alone. You could hire a private nurse or perhaps a very good-looking doctor. You need one in your condition.”

 

“Doctor Choi, thank you. I'll try not to need one.”

 

Yuri zipped her bag close to send a signal to the doctor that she's ending the conversation here and now. But the doctor cannot let her go just like that. He promised himself that this day won’t be their last meeting.

 

Thanks to his position in the hospital, Doctor Choi was able to get Yuri's address and could finally pay her a visit. It's been uhm… 24 hours since he last saw her it felt to him like ages already. The night Yuri left the hospital, the doctor felt very uneasy and could hardly fall asleep, wondering how is she coping with the darkness.

 

6th floor. With one hand holding a bouquet of white tulips, the doctor made an effort to make himself more gorgeous before the elevator opens. On his way to Yuri's condo unit, he noticed a smoke seeping through the gap between the door and the floor.

 

The doctor cursed under his breath hoping he was not too late. He kicked the door opened and the first thing that greeted him was thick smoke and fire coming from the kitchen/dining area. Yeah. It was impossible for Yuri to come out since the kitchen is the room nearest to the main door. He immediately made a call to the fire station and hospital. After which, he braved the fire blocking his entrance and found Yuri in the corner of the living room, unconscious. He put her frail body, in his arm and made an effort to wake her up by tapping her face. Realizing she passed out for quite some time already, he took a blanket and soaked it in water. He then carried her and wrapped the wet blanket around them.

 

After carrying her to safety, he laid her on the floor and said, "Yuri ah, I don't mean to steal a kiss from you and definitely not in this kind of circumstance…" he tilted her head up and pinched her nose. He covered with his and shared his air to her.

 

Soon Yuri opened her clouded eyes and started coughing.

 

"Yah Kwon Yuri! You made me worry like hell. Only a day has passed and you're already wreaking havoc in this building. What happened in there?"

 

"I just wanted to cook."

 

"For god's sake Yuri, you want to cook in your condition!? From now on leave the cooking to me. Leave everything to me from today until I say so whether you like it or not!"

-----

 

Yuri felt weak but she fought hard to talk to her doctor, "Oppa, you look tired."

 

"Tired? What are you talking about? Stop talking nonsense when you can’t even see me! Besides, you need to work on your guessing skills."

 

Yuri smiled. She, being sightless, has been a joked between them and helped Yuri cope with her disability.

 

"Seriously oppa, answer my question. Are you tired of taking care of me? You can always leave when you are."

 

I’m afraid of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my life the way I feel when I’m with you... "What kind of question is that? Obviously, the answer would be no! Pabo! Why did you ask? Are you feeling more sick with that the fact that I'm the one taking care of you?”

 

Yuri ran her fingers into his perfectly chiseled face and rested her palm on his cheek. “Listen to me, Seunghyun oppa. You’re my knight in shining armor. Don’t forget it.”

 

“But… I still can’t have your yes, right?”

 

Yuri just smiled. It was the unconvenient truth.

 

“Damn that lucky idiot! He already have your eyes. He could have at least saved your heart for me.”