fin

Wishing Well
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a Sunday and he had nothing else to do. He wanted to hang out with the group but they seemed to be busy doing things that he doesn't want to know and he’s not that comfortable with them. Well, Mark knows that his friend, Jaebum is with Youngjae because of course, those two are inseparable. Jinyoung is probably taking care of the kids, BamBam and Yugyeom. That left him nothing to do.

 

At last, Mark decides to stand up and go out from their dorm.

 

"Where are you going?" Yugyeom spotted Mark slowly closing the door of his room.

 

Mark just closed his eyes in frustration when he didn't get what he wanted which is going out without telling the others. Of course, Mark likes everything quiet. That's just him and his attitude.

 

"Just going out." Mark simply said in korean and forgot the thing about being quiet.

 

"Be careful, Mark." Mark heard Jinyoung say in English from inside the kitchen. Mark almost facepalmed and just went outside their dorm.

 

Now where to? He was thinking.

 

He wore his earphones and started walking. He'll just walk and stop when he's tired.

 

Good way to spend a Sunday, Mark. His inner self said but he just shoved the thought away. It's not important how he'll spend it. The important part is that he'll not rot in his room again.

 

After some minutes of hiking, he yawned out of boredom. Until now, he's still bored.

 

Well, where do I stay? Mark asked his self and stopped walking.

 

Right in front of him was a park.

 

Maybe I'll just kill time here. He said to himself while making way in the park.

 

I wish I brought my skateboard. He thought while watching the other kids, probably the same age as his', showing tricks to each other.

 

Ever since he had become a trainee in JYP, his schedule has been so hectic that there's no time to play around. And korean classes with BamBam actually took all his free time in a day which is the first thing in the morning. He came from California and only knew a thing about korean. BamBam is from Thailand and is not really good with korean too. And afternoon, after practicing with the group, is his acrobatics class, in which he's alone.

 

Gladly, JYP was kind enough to make the weekends their rest day. But what was Mark supposed to do when he's too shy to talk with everyone and only talks when Jaebum tells him to do so.

 

Then there's the very kind Jaebum who nearly understands everyone. Jaebum knows that Mark really likes to be alone and silent. Maybe that's why they became close friends. Because Jaebum knows Mark and so doesn't bother him.

 

But the other five doesn't understand him.

 

Jinyoung, with his smile, bothers him the most. Hugging him practically every single time they’re near each or even just together. “Doesn't he know personal space?” Mark keeps asking whenever he wiggles out of Jinyoung’s arms. He knows Jinyoung is just like that even before he was there. He just sees it when Jaebum slowly creeps away from Jinyoung whenever they’re beside each other. Jinyoung is serious most of the time though but if he'll just stop being touchy, then him and Mark will be the best of friends.

 

And Youngjae is kinda his kind. But he’s really like him. Just quiet in a corner, only gets talkative when Jaebum talks to him. His very high voice leaves Mark’s jaw on the ground though. He can’t stop being astonished by his voice. But that’s just it. He doesn't really try to talk to Mark so they’re really not close.

 

Yugyeom is alright. If he stops being so intimidating.  Mark just can’t believe how a maknae can be so tall, even taller than him, and strong. That’s why he gets so intimated being with Yugyeom, he just talks to him when it’s needed and when they talk about dancing because that's their only common.

 

And lastly, BamBam. BamBam is very fun to hang out with, when you’re in a very good mood. But if you’re not in the mood, avoid BamBam at all costs. He just talks about everything and really everything he sees. Mark, liking silence so much, just hates BamBam. Especially when they’re alone. Like for example, when they have korean classes and their teacher is late. He needs to suffer for some minutes, answering BamBam's questions and listening to him blabber about stuff that he doesn't care. So whenever Mark finds the chance, he’ll just grab it. Like someone talking to BamBam or he's in the mood to put earphones on to listen to music.

 

He sits beside a wishing well and turns off his iPod.

 

Well, what to do now, Mark Tuan? He asked his self and traveled his eyes around the place.

 

He was in a mini forest, a distance away from the park. He had found a bench beside a wishing well and went to sit there.

 

Maybe he can play with the well... No one would know, right?

 

He doesn't even believe in stupid wishes. He just wants to do something random.

 

He gets a coin from his pocket and throws it in the wishing well.

 

What do you wish if you don’t even believe on it?

 

Well...

 

A friend who’ll understand me. Mark muttered under his breath and sat down on the bench again.

 

Of course nothing happened, who is he kidding.

 

He turned his iPod on again and listened to music while admiring the place.

 

 

A very big grin.

 

Mark almost had a heart attack when he opened his eyes.

 

He was so surprised with his self that he slept in a very uncomfortable position, but he was more surprised when he saw a person in front of him, just looking at him with a grin.

 

“Who the are you?!” He didn't notice that he was speaking English and cursing already.

 

“My name is Jackson!” The boy in front Mark said while jumping up and down.

 

“What are you? 10 years old?” Mark continued to speak in English, scratching his head.

 

“We’re in the same age. Or I’m younger than 6 months...” Jackson showed his set of white teeth to Mark and Mark only crinkled his nose.

 

“How would you know that? Why are you here? And why can you speak English?” Mark asked him.

 

“What I’ll just tell you will answer all your questions. But you need to listen to me and don’t you ever say I’m crazy after I’m done explaining.” Jackson said and sat down beside Mark.

 

Mark looked at him like Jackson was insane but just nodded.

 

“I’m your wish. A friend who’ll understand you. Right here in front of you is a perfect person to become your friend. I can speak English so that we’ll have communication. And I know everything about you because... Well... What do you think? I magically appeared because from a wishing well so of course I can do more than that.” Jackson finished his speech and felt proud to his own, saying that very long stuff.

 

Mark was gaping at Jackson when he ended. He needed to cough before talking and the only sentence that came out was, “You’re crazy.” 

 

“Hey! I just said to not say that after I’m done!” Jackson pouted while saying but smiled again, “You don’t believe me?”

 

“Do I look like a kid who believes in fairy tales? I don’t even believe on a wishing well. I just did that to be random. For all I know, you’re just a guy who can speak English, guessed that we’re in the same age and likes to prank people, saying those stuff you coming from the wishing well.”

 

Jackson looked hurt but still, the smile on his face didn't disappear, “Okay, if that’s what you want to believe. But I’ll follow you now and then... Until you’ll have friends that will understand you.”

 

“Whatever.” Mark said and looked at his iPod which had an empty battery.

 

“You should go home now. It’s getting kinda late.” Jackson said to Mark and true to his words, Mark saw the orange sky.

 

Mark stood up and pocketed his iPod. He began to walk away from the wishing well and when he looked back, Jackson didn't move an inch on the bench. He rolled his eyes and continued walking.

 

So much for being with me. Mark thought and hurriedly walked. He stole one last glance at the wishing well and maybe at the bench to see if maybe Jackson followed him now. He saw no one. Jackson was gone and not even his shadow can be seen.

 

Mark stopped walking and looked at the wishing well. He shook his head and just proceeded on going home.

 

 

It was already dark and clouds are covering the moon. None can give Mark some light to his way. He's not even sure where he's going now. He was so sure that the alley that he went was a shortcut on the way to the dorm but when he found the exit, he was greeted by another alley but the only difference is that the second one is unlighted. He kept his courage and kept moving on. But now he's not ashamed to say anymore that he's scared because of the darkness.

 

Suddenly, there appeared a silhouette in front of him.

 

Mark stopped walking and just stared, wondering if it is his imagination or it's something real.

 

Then a second silhouette appeared behind the first, then a third then at last, a fourth one.

 

"Hey, look at this chic. This one is cute, right?" A very rough voice said in korean and it just sent shivers down Mark's back.

 

"Dude, you're too drunk. This one is a boy." One voice answered and all of them was laughing. Mark guessed that they're all Korean and doesn't even have a clue that he's not.

 

Mark only noticed now that they did smell of beer.

 

"It's okay. I can do a boy right now. I just need someone to release in right now."

 

That scared Mark and he tried to run away. But one man was fast enough to hold his wrist which stopped him from running.

 

"Don't be afraid, kid. We'll just have fun." He heard a very raspy voice and Mark almost puked.

 

Mark knew martial arts a little but he knew he had no chance. Four large guys versus one thin guy is not even a competition.

 

The man holding his wrist, reached to hold his shoulders and another man held his other shoulder. The drunk guy stood in front of him, looking like a beast. And the dimness of the alley didn't even help.

 

Mark didn't even try to scream. He knew no one will hear him. Or if someone does, no one will care. He just stares lifelessly at the sky when they let him lay down. He cried silently when the guy started ripping his shirt and attacking his neck with the man's lips.

 

"We're next, okay?" A guy behind asked.

 

"It's unusually quiet around here." Another guy ignored him and stated a fact.

 

"It's always quiet here. Almost no one lives here!"

 

"But it's a different kind of quiet."

 

"You're just drunk. Let's just wait for our turn. I really can't wait to taste that boy."

 

The man molesting Mark started to go down, every part of Mark's body and Mark can only close his eyes and stop making a sound.

 

"Hey! What are you doing with my Mark?!" Someone yelled in korean from afar. Mark found the voice familiar but he just can't identify whose voice it is. And he felt disgusted with the person too. Last time he checked, he belonged to no one.

 

"Huh?" The man, almost reaching Mark's pants, stopped on what he's doing and looked up to see a white haired boy, staring daggers at him but is grinning.

 

"Go away from him." The white haired boy said to the man and the man just laugh.

 

"Who are you to tell me that, kid? If you don't want to be included, just stay out of this, okay?"

 

The grin on the boy's face disappeared, "Oh no, you just didn't say that. The moment you touched him, I'm already included. I just needed to let everyone in this neighborhood to fall sleep. Now, let's do this."

 

The boy ran to the nearest guy and punched his gut. The guy quickly collapsed.

 

"What--? Who are you?!" The man the was once kissing Mark stood up and faced the white haired boy.

 

"I'm his friend. And you should go run away now." The boy said with cockiness, walking confidently to where Mark was.

 

"And why should we believe you? I own this boy now." The drunkard grinned which made the boy irritated.

 

"You shouldn't say that in my face, you know." The boy said and kicked the guy away.

 

It did let the man step backwards a little but it didn't really let the man fall down or hurt him.

 

"You're strong, kid. But not that strong." The man said while smirking, "You two, hold him down."

 

Mark slowly opened his eyes, sensing that the man was away from him. He sat down and looked around.

 

He saw a familiar white headed boy and he immediately yelled, "Jackson! Why the hell are you here?!"

 

Jackson chuckled and held the hand of a guy that held his shoulder. He turned it around and the guy cried in pain.

 

Mark stared at Jackson while he was dealing with the guys.

 

This boy is strong... Mark remarked mentally. He shook his head and stood up. He's well aware that his shirt got ripped and he feels the coldness of the wind around his body.

 

Jackson already sent the two guys running away from him.

 

The guy that's only left is the one who molested Mark.

 

Jackson looked like he was having a hard time fighting him. That's why Mark decided to help. It's only one guy now, right?

 

He silently went behind the guy and decided to hit the nape so that he'll temporarily lose consciousness.

 

When he did the act, he found Jackson wet with his own sweat in front of him. He was also catching his breathe. Jackson looked at Mark and his upper body and gave his leather jacket to the latter. Mark willingly wore it, feeling a bit embarrassed.

 

"We should go." Jackson only said and walked away. Mark followed Jackson closely, afraid that he'll get lost again.

 

After some minutes, they ended up in front the door of the dorm.

 

"We're here. Go in now and take care." Jackson said and cracked a smile.

 

"You'll go home like that? But you're full of wounds and you should take a bath first. Your parents will get mad at me."

 

"I'm happy that you're worried but 1) I don't have a home 2) I have no parents. I came out from the wishing well, remember?" Jackson said while laughing.

 

So he's still lying... Mark almost rolled his eyes in front of Jackson.

 

"Then stay here for a while and rest." Mark said and opened the door.

 

"Oh really? I can?" Jackson excitedly asked and almost went in right away if Mark didn't stop him.

 

"I'll still ask... the people I live with." Mark can't actually call them his friends.

 

"I'll go ask with you. I'm sure they'll agree. I'm a nice person to be with!" Jackson said with confidence.

 

Mark just shrugged and went in now, removing his shoes and putting it at the side. He saw Jackson did the same.

 

"Welcome back, Mark." Jaebum greeted Mark in korean and even if Mark understood it, he just nodded.

 

"Oh my god, Mark! Why did you come home so late? Did you get lost? Are you okay? Where did you get that jacket? I don't recall you wearing a jacket when you left!" Jinyoung spat in quick korean and Mark just can't catch everything he said. And so he didn't answer and just called Jackson.

 

Both Jaebum and Jinyoung stared at Jackson, especially Jackson's face which is full of wounds and bruises.

 

BamBam appeared from nowhere with Yugyeom following him and stared at Jackson too.

 

"Who are you?" BamBam asked in English. It was quite obvious that Jackson's not a Korean even if you just look at his face.

 

"Hello, everyone! My name is Jackson. I'm Mark's new friend." Jackson introduced himself in korean with a weird accent.

 

"He's Chinese." Youngjae yelled in korean from the kitchen.

 

"That guy who yelled just now is right. I'm Chinese. But I know how to speak korean and English. But mostly English." Jackson said in korean and Jaebum only nodded.

 

"And why are you here?" Jinyoung asked in korean.

 

"I got lost and some guys planned on killing me. Luckily, Jackson found me and scared the guys away but of course, with setting a fight first." Mark explained in korean. He just can't tell them that he was almost , "I plan to fix his face and let him sleep here because it's getting late."

 

"But Mark-hyung, we don't have any rooms anymore." BamBam told him.

 

"No problem. I don't have a room mate anyway so he can sleep in my room."

 

"It's settled then. Be comfortable with us, Jackson. Good night both of you." Jaebum said and went to the kitchen, probably to get Youngjae and go to sleep.

 

Mark went to his room and felt that Jackson followed him.

 

When he went inside, he quickly lay down on the bed. Jackson just stood there watching Mark roll around.

 

"Oh, right." Mark just remembered that he had a visitor.

 

Jackson went around Mark's room to look at his stuff, which is not a lot. Mark's room is too clean. It looks like it's empty.

 

"You want to take a bath?" Mark asked Jackson and he hummed a yes.

 

"Go in the bathroom first. I'll try borrowing clothes from someone." Mark said and stood up from the bed. He went out again and went in front the door of Jinyoung's room. He sees that Jackson went out of his room and goes to the bathroom.

 

Mark hesitated but he had no other choice. Mark thinks that only Jinyoung has the same body with Jackson.

 

He knocked lightly but the response was immediate. Jinyoung was smiling ear to ear when he saw Mark outside his room.

 

[Can we just please say that everyone's conversation, except if it's between Mark, Jackson and BamBam, is in korean? And I'll just say if it's not.]

 

"Is there anything you want?" Jinyoung asked him, smile not wavering.

 

"Do you have clothes that Jackson can wear?"

 

"Yes. I can let him borrow some." Jinyoung disappeared for a while then returned with a lot of shirts and shorts even pants.

 

"Uh... this is a lot." Mark said but still accepted all the stuff.

 

"He looks like he just moved here in Korea. I can lend him more clothes if he still needs some." Jinyoung said and Mark thanked him and went to his room to put all the clothes on the other side of the cabinet. He picked up a shirt and shorts and went to the bathroom.

 

"Jackson?" Mark called out, not wanting to go inside.

 

"Yeah?" Mark heard the shower stopped.

 

"I have a shirt and shorts with me."

 

"Thank you. Just please put it on the lavatory."

 

Mark did so and hurriedly went in his room.

 

He prepared the bed for the two of them and when he was done, he charged his iPod. Then he arranged his room, which doesn't need that arranging because it's literally empty.

 

That's when Jackson decided to come in.

 

He was drying his hair with his old shirt.

 

Mark looked at him and saw what Jackson was doing.

 

"I forgot to bring a towel, didn't I?" He said while scratching his head.

 

"Yeah. But it's alright. I managed." Jackson said and sat at the feet on the bed. Mark stared at Jackson's face and noticed that all the bruises and wounds is not that obvious anymore. How he did that, Mark didn't know. But he noticed another thing.

 

Jackson seems nice this time... What happened to him? He was irritating when I first met him. Mark was thinking.

 

"You can have the right side of the bed." This, Mark said aloud.

 

"It's okay, Mark. I can sleep on the floor you know." Jackson laughed at Mark who appeared to be going red, probably due to embarrassment on having someone sleep in the same room with him.

 

"But... that's uncomfortable. It's fine if you sleep on the bed. It's big anyway. Enough for the both of us." Mark said, looking away from Jackson. Now that Mark thought of sleeping beside Jackson, he found the latter intimidating. But he doesn't have a choice. He still has manners anyway.

 

"Fine. If that's what you really want." Jackson said and rested on the bed.

 

Mark continued moving around the room, really doing nothing but just walking around.

 

"You don't have a plan to sleep?" Jackson asked the boy who can't stay put.

 

"I... I do... I'm just not sleepy yet." Mark said but is really gathering up all his courage to sleep beside someone for it was his first time.

 

"I think you're the one who's uncomfortable now. I'm gonna sleep on the floor." Jackson said and was gonna move on the floor when Mark yelled a no. Jackson looked up and stared at Mark weirdly.

 

"I'm... I'm going to sleep now. Let's both go to sleep. Don't move." Mark turned off the lights and the lamp on the table then went to the bed and laid down.

 

Even if their skins are not touching, Mark can feel the heat of Jackson's body radiating off. He suddenly felt warm. Like this is normal, something that he did a long time ago.

 

"Good night, Mark." Jackson said and smiled at the older before closing his eyes.

 

After some minutes, Mark can hear Jackson snoring. He still can't sleep but that's not because of Jackson's snore. He's bothered. And he doesn't know why.

 

He moved a little closer to Jackson. After a while, he reached out for Jackson's body and touched it. Jackson didn't move so Mark assumed that he didn't wake up.

 

He circled his arms on Jackson's muscular body and rested his head at the back of Jackson's neck.

 

Then he closed his eyes and there he found peace, and not long after, he fell asleep.

 

Somehow, it felt right at the moment. Mark thought before dozing off.

 

 

Mark woke up early compared to other days, not to mention that it's a Monday and he's supposed to be sleeping until Jinyoung calls him.

 

But his sleep was wonderful. But what Mark saw when he opened his eyes devastated him.

 

Not a single sign of Jackson is seen on the bed. Mark searched the whole room and realized that he was alone.

 

Maybe he's outside. Mark said to his self and hauled his body to stand up.

 

It was very quiet, seems like everyone is asleep except Mark.

 

He traveled the whole dorm, except the rooms of others, just to search for Jackson but no Jackson can be seen.

 

So he left, huh... Or... it was just a dream? Mark thought and shook his head.

 

Impossible, it seemed so real. Mark was still thinking about what happened yesterday while drinking water.

 

He looked at the wall clock and found out that it's still 6 in the morning.

 

He decided to make breakfast for everyone before taking a bath.

 

It was just simple scrambled eggs, hotdog and bacon but Mark felt proud. It's his first time making food for everyone. Maybe he's not as good as a cook like Jinyoung but he tried his best.

 

After preparing everything on the dining table, he took a bath.

 

When he was finished, he saw Jinyoung scratching his head and staring at the food on the table.

 

"What's wrong?" Mark asked Jinyoung and the latter jumped in surprise when he heard the deep voice of the eldest.

 

"Nothing. I'm just wondering who cooked... the... food... Wait... You cooked this?!" Jinyoung almost hugged Mark.

 

"Ah, yeah. I did." Mark did everything to keep Jinyoung away from him. He's only wearing a towel on his waist and he doesn't want that to fall off.

 

"That's great, Mark! Thank you!" Jinyoung did his eye smile at Mark and the latter can't help but smile back.

 

After Jinyoung calmed down and started making coffee or milk for everyone, Mark proceeded on dressing up and preparing his things for the day.

 

"OH?! MARK-HYUNG COOKED THIS? NO WAY!" Even if Mark was in his room, he can still hear BamBam's shout and it was in korean.

 

Mark only laughed and continued preparing.

 

It was almost 7:30 when Mark decided that he's done and went out.

 

He saw that everyone was gathered except for Youngjae which is probably still sleeping for now.

 

"Mark, can you please wake Youngjae up?" Jinyoung asked Mark, the only one who's still standing.

 

Mark nodded and went to the shared room of Jaebum and Youngjae and saw that Youngjae was wrapped with many sheets.

 

"Youngjae, time to eat." Mark whispered on Youngjae's eat but the latter didn't even budge.

 

Mark had an idea and it seemed crazy but he knew it'll work.

 

Youngjae is ticklish anyway.

 

And he did start on tickling Youngjae which the younger wriggled away from Mark. Not long after, Youngjae was rubbing his eyes and yawning.

 

"Where's Jaebum, hyung?" He asked Mark.

 

"Eating." Mark only said, "We should eat too." Mark said and walked to the door.

 

"Wait... Did you just wake me up, hyung? Like, for real? You?" Youngjae asked, now realizing that it's Mark in front of him.

 

Mark laughed Youngjae, "Yes, why?"

 

"Ah... Nothing! Let's go!" Youngjae smiled brightly at Mark and pushed him all the way to the dining room.

 

Everyone was almost finished eating except for Jaebum who's purposely eating slowly so that he can eat with Youngjae.

 

"We better hurry up, hyung. We need to be there on 8." BamBam said.

 

With that, Mark chuckled, "You haven't even took a bath yet."

 

Everyone was gaping at Mark and this stopped Mark from eating and he asked, "What's the matter?"

 

"You seem different today, hyung. You cooked breakfast for us, you smile at us and you even laughed at us." Yugyeom said while drinking his milk.

 

"I'm in a good mood." Mark only said and finished his food fast.

 

While Jinyoung was washing the dishes, Mark approached him, wanting to help.

 

"No, it's okay, Mark. I can do this."

 

"But I want to."

 

"You cooked breakfast. Let me do this." Jinyoung said.

 

Mark stood beside Jinyoung.

 

"So where's Jackson?" Jinyoung suddenly asked.

 

So it wasn't a dream?

 

"He went out when we both wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter