Pick-Up Lines

Pick-Up Lines

It was a lazy afternoon in Twice’s dorm. Momo was once again staring longingly at her leader. Dahyun and Chaeyoung, fed up with watching Momo drool over Jihyo, devised a plan to help the older girl.

“Unnie. We’ve come up with a way for you to get Jihyo to fall for you.” Chaeyoung said.

Momo, ready to try just about anything, was all ears.

“Here,” Dahyun grinned, handing Momo a small notepad. “We’ve written down some pick-up lines for you to use on Jihyo Unnie.”

“And you’re sure this will work?” Momo asked skeptically.

“It’s fool proof.”

Little did they know, Momo’s struggle with the Korean language would come to light in her quest for Jihyo’s attention.

-

Jihyo was lounging on the couch, catching up on the weekend drama she had missed while promoting. Momo saw this as the perfect opportunity to try out her stuff since her leader was alone. She quickly flipped open the notepad Dahyun and Chaeyoung had given her, focusing on the first pick-up line on the front page.

“Hey Jihyo?” Momo called out.

The raven-haired girl sat up to give Momo her undivided attention.

“Did it hurt?” Momo asked.

“Did what hurt?” Jihyo questioned.

“When you fell.” Momo continued.

Jihyo furrowed her brows in confusion. “But… I didn’t fall…”

Momo blinked in surprise, glancing down at her notes. She’d read the pick-up line exactly the way it’d been written. What did she do wrong? She glanced back up at Jihyo, the younger girl looking at Momo with worry.

“Hm… So it would seem. Bye now.”

Momo spun on her heels and walked back to her room. She’d failed her first attempt at wooing the younger girl, but she was confident she wouldn’t fail twice.

-

Momo’s second attempt at seducing Jihyo came later that same day when she found the younger girl playing on her phone in the kitchen.

“Hey Jihyo?” Momo called out.

“Hm?” Jihyo hummed in response.

“Is that a banana?”

Jihyo, who just so happened to be gnawing on the yellow fruit looked between her banana and Momo with a brow raised.

“Uh… Yes?”

“You must be happy to see me then.” Momo smiled.

Jihyo blinked. “Well… I’m always happy to see you Moguri, but I don’t see what that has to do with me eating a banana…”

Momo glanced down at her notepad. Why weren’t these stupid pick-up lines working? Had Dahyun and Chaeyoung set her up for failure?

“To be honest… Me either.” Momo replied scratching the back of her head. “Enjoy your fruit.”

-

Momo decides to try again after consulting Dahyun and Chaeyoung. Jihyo is back in the living room going over Twice’s schedule for the next few days.

“Hey Jihyo?”

“Yeah?” Jihyo replied, not looking up from the stack of papers in front of her.

“Did you go to sleep early last night?” Momo asked.

“Not really, I think I went to bed at like 1 a.m. why?”

“Because you need your beauty sleep.”

Jihyo shot Momo a playful glare before going back to work. “Gee thanks.”

Momo nearly face palmed herself. There was no way that that was what she was supposed to say.

-

“I’m not doing this anymore.” Momo huffed. “You guys at this.”

“No we don’t.” Dahyun defended.

“You just at Korean.” Chaeyoung explained.

“I have an idea. You go talk to Jihyo and Chaeyoung and I will hold up a sign of what you should say. There’s no way you can mess up with us there.” Dahyun reasoned.

“Fine… But this is the last time I’m listening to you.”

Momo begrudgingly made her way back out into the living room where Jihyo was finishing up with Twice’s schedule.

“Hey Jihyo?” Momo called out.

“What’s up?”

Momo glanced down the hall where Chaeyoung was holding up her half of the sign.

“Do you know CPR?” Momo asked.

“Uh, not really, why?”

Momo squinted, trying to make out Dahyun’s nearly illegible handwriting.

“Because I’m feeling short of breath.” Momo finished.

Jihyo jumped to her feet. “We should bring you to the hospital then!”

“W-what?” Momo stuttered.

“Are you having chest pains?” Jihyo asked.

“No! I’m fine Jihyo! I swear… I was… uh… joking… yeah… joking…”

Jihyo spun on her heels to glare at the blonde. “That wasn’t a funny joke Momo. I thought something was seriously wrong with you!”

“I-I’m sorry…”

“You should be.” Jihyo huffed, storming off down the hall.

Momo turned around to face a horrified looking Chaeyoung and Dahyun.

“You idiots!” She shouted.

“It’s not my fault Dahyun’s handwriting looks like chicken scratch.” Chaeyoung stated.

“Eagle scratch.” Dahyun corrected.

Momo threw her hands up in defeat. There was only one person who could help her now, the self-proclaimed girl crush.

-

Momo carefully opened the door to Nayeon’s bedroom, peaking her head in ever so slightly to see if the older girl was in.

“So…” Nayeon said, spinning around in her chair with a stuffed squirtle in her lap. “You’ve finally come to seek the help of the master.”

Momo had to fight the urge to roll her eyes. They only thing Nayeon was the master of was being a master pain in Momo’s .

“Can you help me with Jihyo or not?”

“Oh I can help you. I’m just not sure I want too. How could you go to Dahyun and Chaeyoung first? I’m the girl crush Momo!”

“Nayeon… before I’m forty.”

“Fine.” Nayeon scoffed. “I have the perfect pick-up line for someone like you.”

Nayeon cleared before speaking again.

“I’m not staring at your s. I’m staring at your heart.”

“Nayeon!” Momo shouted.

“What? That sounds like something you would say.”

Momo glared at the older girl.

“Okay, Okay. How about ‘Your body is 65% water and I’m thirsty.’ That definitely sounds like you.”

“Why do I even bother?” Momo groaned, rubbing her temples.

-

With little help from Dahyun and Chaeyoung, and absolutely zero help from the so called ‘girl crush’, Momo was on her own. She’d gone through every website, every column, every single pick-up line she could get her hands on, and yet, none felt right. Not to mention she couldn’t understand half of them. Momo decided it was time to give up. She’d made a big enough fool of herself for one day. Momo made her way into the empty living room, face planting the couch. She’d be lucky if Jihyo ever spoke to her again after what she’d done today.

“Hey Moguri?”

Momo nearly fell off the couch at the sound of Jihyo’s voice. Momo sat up quickly, fully prepared for the scolding she was most likely about to receive. Jihyo was sitting on the coffee table in front of her, looking as calm as she always did.

“Yes Jihyo?”

“A little birdie told me that you’ve been trying to get my attention all day.”

“Freaking eagle child.” Momo muttered under her breath.

“Is that why you’ve been acting so strange?”

“I… well… yes…” Momo mumbled, head hanging low in embarrassment.

“Moguri?”

“Hm?”

“You have something on your lips.”

Momo furrowed her brows in confusion. “I do?”

Jihyo nodded, leaning in to brush her own against the now flustered blondes.

“Mine.” Jihyo whispered before kissing Momo fully.

Momo felt like she was on cloud nine when Jihyo kissed her. She wasn’t sure how, but she’d managed to get the younger girl to reciprocate her feelings.

“My work here is done.” Nayeon announced, appearing in the middle of the living room as she dusted off her hands.

“You didn’t do anything!” Momo countered.

“Who do you think gave Jihyo that pick-up line?” Nayeon smirked.

“Why didn’t you give me that pick-up line when I asked for your help?” Momo asked.

“Because it was too sweet for you.” Nayeon shrugged. “Let’s be real, you’re thirsty as for Jihyo.”

Momo’s eye twitched and Nayeon sprinted out of the room shouting, “Girl crush, away!” as she went.

“I hate her.”

“You’ve got to admit she does come in handy sometimes though.” Jihyo giggled.

“How do you figure?” Momo asked.

“She gave me a reason to kiss you.” Jihyo grinned, wrapping her arms around the blondes’ neck. “And I’m going to do it again.”