Chapter Three

Sing Me To Sleep

“You’re coming to the party this weekend, right?” Junmyeon looked up from his textbook at the other before shaking his head and turning back to his work. “Why not?” Kyuhyun demanded, and Junmyeon closed his eyes as he resisted a sigh.

“I don’t like swimming.”

“That’s a lie and we both know it. You used to come over all the time and swim when we were kids. I bet you’re blowing me off to go hang with that deaf kid.” Junmyeon frowned at Kyuhyun, taking a slow, deep breath.

“One, he has a name. Two, I never said that I was going in the first place, so I’m not blowing you off,” he replied, doing his best to keep his tone even, Kyuhyun rolling his eyes and crossing his arms over his chest, leaning against the wall their desks were against.

“Forgive me for wanting to spend time with my life-long friend who stopped paying attention to me after he ran into someone who’s apparently more interesting than me, forever ago.”

Well he’s less of an , Junmyeon thought, closing his text book seeing how the other wasn’t going to let this go any time soon, and class would probably end before he did.

“So I have a new friend, I don’t see what the big deal is. And it hasn’t been forever, he and I have only been friends for like, four months. Besides, you have lots of friends, and most of them are probably going to be at the party. I don’t really find the idea of sitting off in the corner alone because I’m bored and don’t want to play in the pool while you’re off with your other friends at the party,” the brown haired male explained, and Kyuhyun let out a dramatic sigh.

“Fine, you can bring whatever his name is,” he said and Junmyeon blinked before his eyebrows knit together.

“You want me to bring Jongdae?” He asked, Kyuhyun pouting.

“If it’ll get you there,” the other replied and Junmyeon internally cringed. There was no way this was going to end well.

“Alright, alright I’ll go to your dump pool party,” Junmyeon said, his sympathy for the other’s pouting drying up when he turned to a pair of girls who he was sure had been watching him from the front of the classroom since the start of their study hall.

“You hear that? Junmyeon said he’s coming to the pool party!” he called, the pair of girls squealing excitedly and Junmyeon let his head fall onto his textbook.

“For that I should change my mind and say I’m not going,” he mumbled against the cover, Kyuhyun tsking in response.

“No take backs~” he chimed as the bell rang and Junmyeon sat straight up, grabbing his book and scrambling from the classroom as his name was called.

 

“Rough day?” he heard the grin in the other’s voice, his eyes closed as he rested it back against the closed door, and he pushed himself off it once he caught his breath. He made his way to sit on the stool Jongdae had long since gotten into the habit of putting on the other side of the checkout desk for him, crossing his arms and laying his head down on it, nodding a little. “More adoring fans wanting to get a piece of you to themselves? How lucky I am that I’m so honored that you spend your days with me when you’re in such high demand.” Junmyeon looked up at the other, rolling his eyes and sitting up.

“Shut up,” he replied, his smile showing that even he was a little amused by the other, who started to sign things like [amazing] and [my friends will never believe me when I tell them] before the older swatted at his hands.

[You’re ridiculous] he replied, Jongdae’s kitten curls playing across his lips. [While I was chased again, that’s not the full reason why today was rough] he started, Jongdae taking his own seat before Junmyeon continued. [Remember Kyuhyun? He’s got this pool party that he wants me to go to for some reason, and he was being really pushy with trying to get me to say that I would come, even though he knows that I don’t like swimming. That’s the reason I didn’t go to the one he tried to get me to last year.]

[Pool party?]

Junmyeon nodded. [Yeah, he invited you as well] he replied, nerves easing a little at the way the younger’s eyes lit up.

[Your friend wants me to come?]

Junmyeon laughed a little, offering another nod, and Jongdae started bouncing a little in the chair he was seated in.

[Do you know the last time I went to a party?] he asked and Junmyeon shook his head, laughing again when the other answered with [me either]. He smiled as the other started signing again, slowing down when Junmyeon was sure he noticed him having a hard time following. Questions such as when and where it was, if he should bring anything, and Junmyeon answered accordingly.

 

“A pool party? Junmyeon, what are you thinking?” He groaned a little, looking back at his father, currently regretting telling him where he was going.

“Dad, I’ll be fine. I already told Kyuhyun I’m not going to be swimming, and I’m going to be glued to Jongdae’s side to make sure he’s okay since he’s not really used to being social,” he explained, though the younger had come to almost every choir practice, as well as the small performances they had put on since he found out about Junmyeon being in choir, and that could be argued as a form of being social. He looked back at his father, groaning a little when he still had a disapproving expression on his face. “Dad, people are going to think I’m weird if I keep myself locked away the entire summer. Most people my age are making plans to go to the beach over break, so the most normal thing I can do is try to act like that won’t end horribly for me. Do you really think I’m going to be jumping into the pool to show off this ‘neat trick’ I can do? No, I’m not. So relax, and trust that I’m smart enough to handle something like this, please,” he pleaded, Mr. Kim’s expression finally softening.

“Alright. Just… be careful. I don’t know if I would survive losing you like I lost your mother,” he said, Junmyeon letting himself be pulled into a hug.

“I promise I’ll be careful.” He said, returning the embrace before making his way to the antique shop to pick up Jongdae. He didn’t have time to bother opening the door, instead he barely had time to move out of the way before it swung open and Jongdae took hold of his hand, dragging him down the street so suddenly it was all the older could do to keep up.

 

“Junmyeon! You came!” An arm looped around the one of his that Jongdae wasn’t attached to, and the both of them were pulled to a halt, Jongdae tightening the grip he had on Junmyeon’s hand as he tried to regain his balance. Junmyeon looked over at the girl who was holding onto his other arm as she leaned her head against his shoulder, then turned her head a little to follow Junmyeon’s other arm down to the hand of the other. “Who’s your… friend?” she asked, Jongdae turning his attention to her when he realized she was the reason they had stopped.

“His name’s Jongdae,” he said and Jongdae’s excited smile returned as he offered a wave before looking around, missing the pout that the girl gave him when he pulled on Junmyeon’s hand and out of her hold. Jongdae lead the way over to the far side of the pool, stopping and looking back at Junmyeon half way there and the older noticed that he had tightened his hold on the other’s hand.

“I don’t know how to swim,” he offered with an apologetic smile, pointing with his free hand at the pool. Jongdae nodded, shifting so that he was between Junmyeon and the pool, continuing down to the empty chairs and dropping himself down on one as Junmyeon’s shoulders started to relax as he sat beside the younger. The pair had been sitting there for less than five minutes before the usual trio that pestered him had made their way over to the two of them, two sitting on the foot of Junmyeon’s pool chair and the third sitting on Jongdae’s, pulling the dark brown haired male’s attention over to the four of them.

“Kyuhyun kept teasing us saying you weren’t going to be here, Junmyeon!” The one with pink tipped hair whined, and he took a slow breath, trying his best to bite back the desire to let it out as an irritated sigh.

“But you said yourself that you would come, we knew he was lying.” Junmyeon opened his mouth, though he didn’t have time to think about what to say in response before Jongdae had turned in his seat to face the other four, and the eldest was amazed that the action pulled the three pairs of eyes off of him and onto Jongdae.

“Can we help you?” The third asked, and Jongdae’s kitten curls played across his lips, Junmyeon surprised when she leaned close to the blonde beside her to whisper something that sounded like ‘he’s really cute’. Jongdae leaned forward a little, propping his arm up on one of his thighs as he rested his chin in the palm of his hand, and he cocked his head a little to the side, and Junmyeon was amazed at how he had captured the trio’s attention. He watched Jongdae reach over with his other hand as he straightened, patting the pool chair on his other side and the two sitting on Junmyeon’s chair moved to the one Jongdae had gestured to.

“So that’s why you’re so interested in your new friend,” Kyuhyun mused, pulling Junmyeon’s attention to the other. “He’s able to catch the attention of even your most adoring fans.” Junmyeon rolled his eyes, looking back to Jongdae, who was quickly turning his attention from one girl to the other to the other as they fired off a bunch of questions, and he cringed a little, opening his mouth to try and ask them to slow down as he reached out towards the group, Kyuhyun catching his arm. “Come on now, don’t be jealous. You’re always saying he doesn’t get out much, let him have his fun. Maybe he’ll even take one of them home and you’ll only have two to worry about.” Junmyeon frowned back at the other, gaze shifting back to Jongdae when he heard the trio burst out into a fit of giggled and he let his shoulders relax.

“I guess he does seem to be doing alright on his own, doesn’t he?” Junmyeon said, cracking a small smile when Jongdae joined the trio in laughing.

“He’s fine,” Kyuhyun said, giving the brunet’s shoulder a light nudge. “And now that you’re off babysitting-duty, time to go in.” Junmyeon didn’t have time to turn back to Kyuhyun before an arm hooked an arm under his knees and the other around his waist, hoisting him up as he stood. Junmyeon struggled when he realized what the other meant, scrambling to try and get out of Kyuhyun’s arms even if it meant being dropped on the concrete that surrounded the pool.

“Kyuhyun, no! Stop, put me down right now!”

“Oh I’ll put you down, right in the pool.”

“This isn’t funny!” Junmyeon argued, taking to wrapping his arms tightly around Kyuhyun’s neck hoping that he wasn’t planning on going into the pool with Junmyeon.

“I think it’s hilarious,” Kyuhyun mused, coming to a sudden halt and causing Junmyeon to peek in front of them, expecting to be at the edge of the pool; what he didn’t expect was to find Jongdae standing between Kyuhyun and the pool, every ounce of amusement gone from his expression.

“Put him down.” Kyuhyun rolled his eyes, nodding his head toward the trio.

“Go play with your new friends.”

“I'm not leaving until you put him down,” Jongdae replied, the voices in the background dulling to eventual silence as everyone was now paying attention to them.

“Come on, it's just a game,” Kyuhyun stated, and Jongdae pointed to Junmyeon’s wide eyes set in a pale face.

“Does he look like he's having fun? You're being cruel to someone you begged to come here for reasons that are probably selfish. Now put. Him. Down.”

Kyuhyun looked around when a soft murmur started among the small groups of people before he huffed a sigh, half setting half dropping Junmyeon onto the concrete, Jongdae stepping forward to catch and help the older regain his balance. Jongdae shot a sharp look at Kyuhyun when he felt the way Junmyeon was shaking, wrapping one arm around the brunet’s waist for support.

“No means no. Even I know how to listen for that. It would be in your best interest to learn,” he added before leading Junmyeon from Kyuhyun’s house.

 

They were half way back to the antique shop before Junmyeon’s shaking finally stopped, though Jongdae kept a hold of his waist as he guided the older into the store and through the doorway behind the register, unlocking and opening the door at the end of the short hallway inside. Junmyeon didn’t look at Jongdae’s face until the younger had nudged him to sit on his bed, and Junmyeon looked back down at his lap a second later only for Jongdae place a hand on his shoulder and take a gentle hold of his chin with the other hand, lifting it. Junmyeon swallowed hard as Jongdae’s eyes searched his face, feeling the younger’s hand shift from his shoulder so it was pressed over his heart. He was sure that Jongdae was trying to check for a panicked heartbeat, and the fact that the way the other was intently staring at him was making his heart start to race was probably messing with the results that he was looking for.

Nonetheless he let go of Junmyeon’s chin, turning away from him and Junmyeon looked around the room for the first time. The bed he was on was a queen size, and he could tell which side Jongdae slept on by the abundance of pillows and blankets that made almost a nest that took up maybe a third of the bed, while the rest of the bed was almost neat. The walls had a couple posters from the bands that Jongdae had talked about enjoying because of how much bass they had in their music; his examination of the room was interrupted when he felt Jongdae drop himself onto the bed beside him and he looked over, blinking as if that would either make the guitar on Jongdae’s lap disappear or make sense. He rose his gaze up to Jongdae, who gave him a bright smile.

“Music makes people feel better, right?” Jongdae asked and Junmyeon gave a small nod, watching Jongdae loop the guitar strap over his head and situate the guitar. Junmyeon reached out, touching Jongdae’s shoulder to get his attention.

“You know how to play the guitar?”

“You could say that,” Jongdae said before he all but slammed his hand down in a strumming motion, and a horrid noise escaped the guitar, causing Junmyeon to flinch back. Jongdae’s grin turned apologetic and he laughed a little at Junmyeon’s wide eyed expression, before he looked at the guitar and shrugged. “Maybe not so much. But when you strum the vibrations feel nice,” he admitted and Junmyeon was reaching out, fingers brushing the back of the younger’s hand before he fully realized it and suddenly Jongdae’s attention was on him again.

“Try being… more gentle with it,” he offered, guiding Jongdae’s hand to brush along the strings, a softer and more pleasant sound coming from the instrument this time. Jongdae nodded, repeating his action on his own, looking to Junmyeon who smiled and gave a nod of his own.

“If I’m gentle with it, will you sing for me?” Junmyeon felt his smile face as surprise took over, his hand coming back to rest in his own lap.

“I-I don’t know why you-”

“I like it when you sing because… you look happy when you do… It doesn’t matter if I don’t know what you sound like.”

Jongdae looked down at the guitar, rubbing one of the strings between two of his fingers, and Junmyeon noticed a tight feeling in his chest as he tried to swallow the lump forming in his throat. When it became easier to breath he took hold of Jongdae’s wrist again, guiding him to strum the guitar as he started to hum, trying to come up with what to sing, closing his eyes when he felt Jongdae’s on him. Eventually he settled for one of the songs from his choir practice, focusing so intently on the song that he didn’t realize Jongdae had stopped playing until he felt something brush against the side of his neck, making him jump. His eyes opened and he was started by how Jongdae had moved closer, and was still moving closer, their knees bumping before the younger stopped and Junmyeon noticed that Jongdae’s fingers were what bushed against his neck. He looked down the best he could at Jongdae’s arm, noticing the way he started to pull back, meeting Jongdae’s gaze as they both became still for a long silent moment.

“Can… Can I…” Jongdae trailed off, and Junmyeon noticed the younger’s cheeks dust pink for the first time, his hand pulling back from Junmyeon’s neck to come over his own as he peeked up at the older from under his eyelashes. “F-feel you… s-sing?”

Junmyeon felt a blush cross his own cheeks at the request, his mind stuttering for a response. When his mouth didn’t want to work with his brain, he offered a nod, noticing that Jongdae was nibbling on his lower lip, his hand coming out to brush against Junmyeon’s neck again. His fingers ran over Junmyeon’s Adam’s apple a couple times before settling gently over the front of his neck, and Junmyeon had to close his eyes again. Concentrating when knowing the younger was watching him was hard enough without feeling the other’s hand on his neck, and the knowledge that Jongdae would be able to feel how badly his heart was racing as well did nothing to ease said heart’s racing.

He took a slow breath, trying to start the song over, messing up a couple lines in and having to take a long pause and a deep breath in an attempt to relax enough to lose himself in the song like he had earlier. It took two more starts to be able to get past the first verse of the song, but once he did he was able to get through the rest of the song without too much difficulty; on the occasion that Jongdae’s hand would shift it would remind Junmyeon that it was there and he would almost slip up, but the longer it was there the easier it became to direct his attention right back to the song.

Once Junmyeon finished the song, he opened his eyes again, his heart jumping at how Jongdae had managed to get closer without him noticing. He expected Jongdae’s hand to pull back from his neck now that he was done singing, a light shiver trailing up his spine when instead he felt it slip around to the back of his neck. Jongdae leaned a little closer, his head tilting to the side as his eyes flickered down to Junmyeon’s lips, and Junmyeon shut his own eyes tightly as his heart pounded violently in his chest, making him feel dizzy.

Kyuhyun had joked about Jongdae having a crush on him, saying that there would be no other reason for him to want to come to all the choir practices that he had, but Junmyeon had reasoned it as Jongdae finally had a reason to go out and be social. From the stories Jongdae told, he hadn’t done much of that since he became deaf even with the few online friends he had, and apparently for the first two months of visiting Junmyeon school he hadn’t told his father where he had been going, sneaking out while making it look like he was still sleeping in his bed. The last thing he expected was Kyuhyun to be right about something like this; or at least, he didn’t dare let himself get his hopes up.

There was a sharp pain in his chest that made him flinch, and when it spread up his throat he curled in on himself, coughing hard when his throat tightened and it became hard to breathe not long after. He heard Jongdae’s voice, but wasn’t able to spare enough attention to figure out what he was saying as the pain seemed to spread over his chest, like ice trickling through the veins around his lungs. He grabbed the front of his chest, letting out a strangled cry when that somehow made the pain worse; like there was some kind of deep, open wound on his chest and he had pressed sandpaper against it.

He felt hands on the side of his face that forced him to look up at Jongdae’s pale face, expression dripping with panic and Junmyeon shut his eyes tightly, panting as the pain eased and he slumped against the younger. He was pretty sure he had almost drifted off to sleep when he felt his shoulder being shaken and he looked up at Jongdae, who looked just as panicked as he had when he had grabbed the older’s face.

“What just happened? Are you okay? Do I need to get you to a doctor?” Jongdae rattled off and Junmyeon shook his head, closing his eyes and reaching up to rub the spot a little bit above his sternum, where the pain had started – he tensed when he felt something hard protruding from his skin that hadn’t been there before. He sat up, about to pull down on the collar of his shirt though he stopped when his father’s warning of ‘no one can know’ echoed through his head and he looked over at Jongdae who was fidgeting where he was.

“I-I’m fine, I don’t need to go to a doctor. I think today just… really stressed me out is all, with Kyuhyun trying to throw me in the pool,” he explained, though Jongdae didn’t seem satiated with the excuse.

“Do you need me to get you anything?” Jongdae asked, and Junmyeon started to say no, nipping at the inside of his lower lip.

“Some water?” he suggested, and Jongdae nodded, scrambling a little to get up from the bed and pull his guitar off, Junmyeon surprised that the younger managed to toss it onto the bed rather than the floor with the hurry he was in. Once the other left Junmyeon sighed and looked down, grabbing the collar of his shirt, hesitating longer than he would have liked before he pulled it down and his eyes widened at the dark blue oval shaped gem that was now imbedded in his chest. When he heard footsteps approaching he tugged his shirt back in place, looking to the doorway as Jongdae reappeared, holding out a glass of water to Junmyeon who offered a small thank you as he took it.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Jongdae asked, and Junmyeon nodded, taking a big drink of the water before setting it on the nightstand beside Jongdae’s bed.

“I’m sure. But I should probably be heading home to get some rest,” he said, noticing the frown that crossed Jongdae’s lips, as well at the way the younger was trying to fight it off. “Sorry we had to leave the pool party without being there for long. I know you were really excited about going.” Junmyeon stopped and Jongdae shook his head, giving the younger a curious look.

“We can always go somewhere just the two of us, and you can sit in the sun if I wanna go swim,” he offered and Junmyeon smiled, nodding before he stood from the bed.

“I’ll see you later then, alright?” he asked and Jongdae nodded, giving a small wave as he left the room. Once he was out of the antique shop he quickened his pace, fumbling with the lock on the front door to the point that his father had unlocked and opened it before he had the chance to get his key in the lock.

“You’re home early, did something happen?” Mr. Kim asked, and Junmyeon responded by yanking the collar of his shirt down once the door closed behind him and Mr. Kim went pale.