God, Fate or Coincidence?

God, Fate or Coincidence?

Kangin was a criminal, who managed to kill a family. Kibum is the lawyer. Hankyung is a law student who attended to all of Kangin's trials. Will Kangin be able to win his case or will he be executed?

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Kangin is a criminal. He killed a family: a father, a mother and three children. The father’s head was decapitated. The mother was stabbed directly at the heart. Two kids were shot multiple times on their bodies. The last kid was burned. The house was almost burned too. Kangin wasn’t able to escape because he was trapped in the burning house. He couldn’t tell if he was lucky enough to survive as the firemen saved him because he knew that he’ll be sentenced to either death or life sentence after this incident.

Art. III Sec. 12 (1) Any person under investigation for the commission of an offense shall have the right to be informed of his right to remain silent and to have a competent and independent counsel preferably of his own choice. If the person cannot afford the services of counsel, he must be provided with one. These rights cannot be waived except in writing and in the presence of counsel.

Hankyung was a law student and as a law student, he needs to witness a trial. He has to watch and learn what would happen in court so he can apply it in his studies. It just turns out that it would be Kangin’s trial that he would have to watch. After the 1st trial, Hankyung became so intrigued that he decided to keep on attending Kangin’s other trials.

Sec. 12 (2) No torture, force, violence, threat, intimidation, or any other means which vitiate the free will shall be used against him. Secret detention places, solitary, incommunicado, or other similar forms of detention are prohibited.

Kangin was absent on his third trial. He was in the hospital because his health became worst. He wouldn’t eat, sleep and kept on injuring himself. At least, that’s what they thought. It was later proven that he wasn’t treated right in prison.

Sec. 12 (3) Any confession or admission obtained in violation of this hereof shall be inadmissible in evidence against him.

It was on the 4th trial that Kangin admitted to his crimes but his lawyer, Kibum, used cross examination to find out Kangin’s credibility as an accused. It was proven that Kangin’s admission in the hospital was due to violence.

Hankyung thought the Kibum was a good lawyer. He was young, smart and experience but even though he had all these traits, he wasn’t able to win this case. The evidence of their opponent were too strong against Kangin. In the end, Kangin given a death penalty.

Hankyung saw that there was no guilt in Kangin’s eyes, only acceptance. All of the evidences showed that Kangin was a murderer but somewhere deep down, he knew there was more to this case. He decided to visit Kangin because he wants to know the truth behind everything. He wants to hear Kangin’s side, which is probably going to be different from what was revealed in court.

“Go away. I don‘t know you.” Kangin said as he saw Hankyung enter in his isolated cell.

“I want to know the truth.” Hankyung took a few more steps towards Kangin.

“I already said everything in court.”

“No, you didn’t. I can tell that you and your lawyer are hiding something.”

Kangin took a good look at Hankyung from head to toe. “Introduce yourself.”

“Hankyung, law student. I attended in all of your trials.”

“Well, Hankyung. I’ll only tell you one thing. I don’t regret what I’ve done. Please leave.”

Hankyung knew that there was no use trying to force the truth out of Kangin. They were simply strangers. Kangin simply don’t trust him. “I may not know everything but I know that you’re not guilty or at least not guilty enough to deserve a death penalty.”

Hankyung was about to call out for the guard to let him out when he heard a soft thank you from Kangin. He turned to see any sign if Kangin really did say that. “Thank you.” Kangin said again. “For trying to understand me while the rest immediately jumped to the conclusion of me being guilty. I’m sure you’ll be a good lawyer someday.”

“I wish I could help you.” Hankyung said sincerely. There was a moment of silence between them.

“You attended in all of my trials so you better be there tomorrow.” Kangin said knowing that tomorrow will be the day his death sentence will be served.

“I will.”

“You better not cry for a stranger like me.”

“I won’t…at least not in front of you.”

The next day, Hankyung wished he could just stay in bed for the whole day but he promised Kangin to be there…on his death sentence. He could shake away the feeling of dread and nervousness in his stomach. He even managed to vomit twice because of these feelings. He entered the room and immediately saw the electric chair. He found himself wanting to vomit again.

A few minutes later, the room was filled up with people who were going to watch Kangin’s death. Then another few minutes passed by, Kangin entered the room. Another few steps, Kangin arrived in front of the electric chair and sat on it. His eyes immediately found his lawyer.

Kibum had his fists clenched. He looked sad and angry at the same time. “Looking at Kangin sitting on that chair. I can’t help but feel it’s my fault. I’m so helpless. I couldn’t do anything for him. I should have just revealed the truth even if it sounds unbelievable.” Kibum said while he had a hand covered on his mouth and tears threatening to fall.

Hankyung, who was sitting right next to Kibum, heard everything clearly. He offered a tissue to Kibum, who gratefully accepted it and wasn’t able to stop his tears from flowing freely. Then Hankyung turned his attention back to Kangin, only to find Kangin’s eyes staring back at him.

“Do you have any last request?” The executor asked.

“No.”

“Okay, get yourself ready.”

10.…Kangin took a deep breath.

9.…Another deep breath.

8...Kangin’s hand clenched tight on the chair.

7.…

6.…

5.…Kangin closed his eyes. He doesn’t want to watch the timer anymore.

4...

3...The executor placed his hand on the switch.

2...

1...black out!!!

Everything became dark. A few minutes later, electricity came back. Kangin was still alive. Hankyung could see the shock look on Kangin’s face.

“He’s alive…” Kibum looked at the time on the wall clock. “And it’s 10:05. He’s suppose to die at 10am. This means…he’s free!!!” He instantly shot up from his chair. “Release him! He’s free!!!”

Hankyung stared at Kibum incredulously for a moment before realization sinks in.

Art. III Sec. 21 No person shall be twice put in jeopardy of punishment for the same offense. If an act is punished by a law and an ordinance, conviction or acquittal under either shall constitute a bar to another prosecution.

This means double jeopardy. Kangin already tried the death penalty and failed. This means that he would no longer be placed on death penalty even if he commits the same crime. Another thing is that Kangin is free to go because the execution of his death failed at 10am.

Kangin looked confused as the executor removed the cuffs and other things that tied Kangin down to the chair. “What’s happening?”

“You’re free to go.” The executor smiled at him.

Kangin was still confuse as he moved away from the electric chair. Most people present in the room was obviously not happy that he managed to live. Most people were also amazed at the great timing the black out has or the great amount of luck Kangin possessed because of the incident.

Kibum hugged Kangin immediately. He felt so happy that he squeezed Kangin so tight and explained so fast that Kangin couldn’t understand a single word he said. Then Hankyung came up to them and explained what Kibum said in a more calm and slow manner to make Kangin understand.

Tears of relief flowed down on Kangin’s cheek as he finally understood what happened. Maybe it was fate or perhaps God’s will or simply a coincidence that allowed him to live but no matter what it is, he was very grateful to be still alive.

Hankyung finally got the truth out of Kangin. The family he killed was actually a group of monster that took into human form. The reason for the increase number of missing people in the city was because of them. Kangin was simply a thief, trying to get in their house to steal whatever worth stealing but then, he accidentally found out the family’s secret. He had to kill them first or else he would be killed.

Hankyung understood why Kangin kept the truth hidden. The truth sounded absurd and unbelievable like it was from a sci-fi show or something. Because of this, he became good friends with Kangin.

“I think I must be one really lucky person.” Kangin suddenly said as he and Hankyung were simply hanging out at the living room of Kangin’s apartment. “I managed to survive the death penalty and I met you. Not to mention that you were even willing to move with me and live in another country. It’s probably frustrating for you part to study another batch of laws in another country.”

“Honestly, I don’t know why I even bother to suffer so much for you.” Hankyung replied as he flipped another page of his law book.

“Sorry.”

“Don’t be.” Hankyung pulled Kangin down for a kiss.

Perhaps they were more than friends because a kiss wouldn’t come so naturally if they were simply just friends.

THE END

A/N:  If you enjoyed reading this couple, then pelase check out Not Hankyung So Who?  Lastly, comments please? ^^