final

you were all i've ever known

 

Yoongi moved in when Jimin was eleven.

 

He came in a large minivan, the red exterior chipped from years of use. The car itself was in even worse condition, slowly chugging along as it drove itself into the driveway next to Jimin’s.

 

Jimin rapidly pulled the curtain back in front of him, not wanting to be seen spying on his new neighbors. However, his child curiosity got the best of him as he peaked from behind the curtains, watching a young boy who looked to be around his age jump out of the car, completely face planting on the cement underneath him. Jimin heard a car door close as one of the kid’s parents picked the kid up, putting them on their feet before inspecting for bruises. A woman came out of the other side of the car, opening the trunk before taking some of their belongings out, looking up at the big house before them.

 

Their house was identical to Jimin’s, and like every other building on this block. It was a nice two story clean cut white shade house with blue trim. There was a small porch with a swing attached in the front, old yet still sturdy. A huge backyard sat in the back, with two small trees holding up a hammock in between them. The house had been unoccupied since Jimin was little: the previous owners having been an elderly couple who had moved out when they were unable to take care of the house anymore.

 

Jimin saw the small boy run inside the house, his parents travelling behind with their luggage, before opening the door to the room right across from Jimin’s room. He looked around the wide space before him, jumping on the huge bed in the middle. Before Jimin could move away from the window though, he locked eyes with the boy, who quickly settled down to look at his new neighbor.

 

The boy had dark brown hair, his bangs covering his almond eyes. He had small freckles covering his nose and cheeks, looking as if air brushed. Jimin blushed at the boy’s intense gaze but before he could wave back, he heard his mom call him down for dinner.

 

-

 

“Mom, please no.”

 

“Honey, I baked these specifically for them. Now go deliver it.”

 

“Mom, that’s so embarrassing.”

 

“No it’s not. I’m the leader of the neighbourhood welcoming committee. Now go,” she said, shushing Jimin out of the door with a wicker basket full of cookies. Jimin took a deep breath, watching his breath swirl in front of him before looking at the house to the left of his. He took small steps, wanting to just dump the basket in the garbage and then proclaim to his mom that he delivered it to their neighbors. But, he felt his mom watching him from the living room window so he walked faster, wanting to get this over with.

 

Jimin walked up their creaky steps before stopping in front of their door. He slowly brought his hand up before knocking silently. He had hoped no one would hear him so he could go back but he heard a lock being turned, the door opening seconds later.

 

It was the boy, his eyes showing discomfort and confusion seeing Jimin holding a huge basket of what seemed to be ten different kinds of cookies and other treats. Jimin peaked his head around the cellophane, locking eyes with the boy like he had done so yesterday.

 

“My mom uh, she made these for you,” Jimin stuttered.

 

The boy stood there, unimpressed. Jimin pushed the basket forward, wanting him to take it. The boy sighed, before begrudgingly taking it. Suddenly, Jimin heard loud steps make their way to the door before someone, presumably the boy’s dad appear behind his son. He placed his hands on their shoulders before smiling widely at Jimin.

 

“Hello there. Are you from next door? Ah, did your mother bake these?” he asked, before examining the basket. “These are lovely. I’m Namjoon by the way,” he said, sticking his hand out to ruffle Jimin’s hair. Pointing down he said “And this is my son Yoongi. Sorry about his behavior.”

 

Yoongi looked up at Jimin, flashing the smallest of smiles for the sake of his father. Jimin smiled back, his genuine before introducing himself to the both of them.

 

“I’m Jimin.”

 

-

 

Over the course of the next year, Yoongi and Jimin spent little time together. It wasn’t until Jimin’s twelfth birthday party that he saw Yoongi again in full, being dragged along by his parents. Jimin’s mom greeted them as if they were old friends before Namjoon pushed Yoongi towards Jimin, holding a small gift in his hands. Jimin smiled, happy to see Yoongi again. He took the gift from Yoongi before taking his hands, pulling him to the back yard.

 

Jimin brought them to his treehouse, pushing Yoongi up the ladder before climbing up behind him. His treehouse was small, a makeshift window facing the house. There was a small shelf on the back wall that held various books and comics. Underneath that was a bean bag, sitting on top of a rug. Yoongi sat in the middle of the rug, looking at Jimin expectantly. Jimin walked towards Yoongi, plopping in front of him to sit criss crossed. He reached out to grab Yoongi’s legs, pulling him closer. He thought he saw a blush across the other’s cheeks but it also could’ve been the lighting.

 

“Why do you hate me?”

 

Yoongi tipped his head to the side, looking at Jimin’s full pout.

 

“I don’t hate you.”

 

Those were the first ever words Yoongi had uttered to Jimin, the sentence escaping Yoongi’s lips which were downturned as if in thought.

 

“Then why do you always look so sad when you see me?”

 

“I’m not sad. That’s just how my face is. Are you making fun of me?” Yoongi asked, leaning forward until his nose touched jimin’s. “I’m two years older than you. Pick on someone your own size.”

 

“But we’re practically the same height!”

 

“Shut up.”

 

“My mom told me not to use that word.”

 

“I’m a teenager so I can say it.”

 

They spent the rest of the night isolated from everyone else, spending it in the treehouse until the sun went down.

 

-

 

Jimin was twelve and three quarters when he entered the same school as Yoongi. They went to the local high school, just a few blocks down from their houses. Jimin had begged Yoongi to spend his first few days with him, not wanting to be alone and friendless. Yoongi had just shrugged him off, saying you’ll get a hang of it kid before leaving him at the front of the school. Just as Jimin had predicted, he was in fact alone and friendless and by the end of the week, he was tired of high school already. Packing up his bags and broken dreams, he wished for the sweet release of what the weekend would offer him. As he turned to his street, he felt a hand pull him back, Jimin’s bag hitting someone in the chest. Turning to the right he saw no one but a tap on his left shoulder has him twisting his head, seeing Yoongi’s face next to his.

 

Yoongi let go of Jimin, choosing to walk ahead of him. Jimin jogged to catch up, the books in his bag making him slower.

 

“So how was the first week of school?” Yoongi asked smirking. Jimin frowned.

 

“Like I said, I was alone and friendless thanks to you.”

 

“It’s not fault you’re bad at making friends.”

 

Jimin punched Yoongi in the arm.

 

“Obviously not since I’m friends with you.”

 

Yoongi stopped, thinking. “I guess,” he countered before continuing to walk.

 

They sautered along the broken sidewalk, the leaves falling from their trees, landing at the boy's’ feet.

 

“Besides, all you had to do was walk to my table during lunch. I would’ve maybe introduced you to my friends.”

 

“Maybe?”

 

“At least i’m being truthful.”

 

-

 

Jimin had made friends by the end of his second week. Taehyung was only a couple of months younger than him, and they had shared all of the same classes. Hoseok was a sophomore, retaking art one with Jimin and Taehyung since he failed it. And finally there was Jungkook, who was smart enough to be in their grade even though he was a year younger.

 

Jimin saw Yoongi in the halls sometimes, or in the lunchroom. He would wave to him, sometimes getting a curt nod in return.

 

Maybe high school wouldn’t be so bad.

 

-

 

It was the end of the first semester when Yoongi knocked on Jimin’s door. Jimin was thirteen and Yoongi was fifteen when Jimin opened up the door, ushering Yoongi into escape from the cold. Jimin was home alone, his mom having gone out.

 

Yoongi stepped out of his shoes, tossing them to the alcove next to the door. Without turning back, he ran up the stairs to Jimin’s room.

 

Even though they went to the same school, they hardly saw each other since Yoongi was older. This was the first time they’ve hung out since school started, each boy too engrossed in school and friends to find time for each other. Jimin skipped up the steps, pushing the door to his room open.

 

Yoongi laid down on Jimin’s bed, his eyes closed. Jimin sat on the chair across from him, staring at him silently.

 

“Jimin, why is high school so hard. I feel like I’m drowning with all of this school work.”

 

“I wouldn’t know, I’m just a freshman. I could pass all of my classes with my eyes closed.”

 

Yoongi groaned before pulling himself up, looking Jimin straight in the eye.

 

“Now that I see you’re doing well in your classes, how are you and your friends doing? Have a girlfriend yet?”

 

Jimin blushed, looking at the ground. “No.”

 

Yoongi threw Jimin’s pillow at him, making Jimin look back up.

 

“Aww is Jimin blushing? Are you crushing on anyone? Is it someone older?”

 

Jimin shook his head no, swiveling his chair around to put his elbows on the desk. “I’m not telling you.”

 

Before Yoongi could make a smart remark, he felt hands rest on his waist, pulling him up and off the chair before shoving him on the bed. Yoongi hovered over Jimin, pinning his hands above his head.

 

“You better tell me now you brat.”

 

Jimin once again shook his head no. Suddenly he felt Yoongi’s warm palms leave his hands as they soon found their way to his sides. Yoongi started tickling him, laughing along with Jimin’s whimpers.

 

“You better tell me or i’ll make you wet yourself.”

 

Jimin screamed, finally telling Yoongi that he’ll tell him in exchange for knowledge of who he liked.

 

Yoongi stopped, bringing his hands to rest on either side of Jimin’s head. They sat there looking at each other, Yoongi’s sat right below Jimin’s belt line.

 

Yoongi slowly leaned forward before they heard a door slam with a “I’m home!” Yoongi jumped off Jimin’s lap, brushing non existent dirt off his jeans. They heard steps moving up the stairs before a knock came at the door.

 

“Come in,” Jimin said, his voice hoarse from screaming.

 

Jimin’s mother walked in, smile getting bigger once she sees Yoongi is there.

 

“Yoongi. Nice to see you and Jimin hanging out.”

 

“It is nice Ms. Park.”

 

“Why don’t you stay for dinner? I was just coming up here to have Jimin help me unpack the groceries.”

 

Jimin and Yoongi shot each other confused glances throughout dinner.

 

-

 

Jimin was thirteen and Yoongi was sixteen when they spent their first summer together.

 

Jimin handed out newspapers, getting on his bike everyday (except for sundays) at 6am, riding in and out of neighborhoods to throw papers on doorstops. Since he was thirteen, that was the only job he was able to get so he spent the rest of the days at home, with his friends, or with Yoongi.

 

Yoongi worked for an automobile shop downtown. In the afternoon Jimin would go take the bus down to the city center with Yoongi and sit there, watching him work on cars all day. Since Yoongi wasn't technically able to bring anyone to work, he had lied and said Jimin was his younger brother he had to watch during the day. The owner had agreed to letting Jimin come as long as he didn't make a disturbance. He sat in the employees room all day, occasionally leaving to watch Yoongi or to sit in the booth in the front, greeting customers.

 

When his shift was over, Yoongi would tug a sleepy Jimin back onto the bus and they would spend their nights in Yoongi’s hammock.




 

-

 

Yoongi had been distant lately. Jimin didn't ask, he would just silently accompany Yoongi even though it seemed like Yoongi didn't want him there.

 

One particular night, when they were rocking back and forth on the hammock on a particular starry night, Yoongi spoke up.

 

“Do you ever think about what's gonna happen after high school?”

 

Jimin lifted up his head, turning around to face Yoongi.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

Yoongi pulled his arm out from under Jimin, turning around to fully face him, his hands cradling his face.

 

“Like do you ever imagine what you're going to do after high school? What college you're going to? What job you're gunna have?”

 

“Not really since I’m only thirteen. I can't even have a real job yet.”

 

“I’m trying to be sentimental with you.”

 

Jimin thought more.

 

“I think we’ll be okay.”

 

“Promise?”

 

“Promise.”

-

 

For Jimin's fourteenth birthday, Jimin's parents thought it would be a good idea to take him on a trip, inviting Yoongi along with them. They went up to the mountains, preferring the cold weather over going to the beach.

 

Jimin’s parents stayed on the bottom floor while Jimin and Yoongi shared a room on the top floor. After the five hour car ride, both boys held onto each other, walking up the stairs drowsily before slamming onto the bed.

 

The room was small, only meant for one person but they made it fit. There was a big window looking against the back wall, overlooking the snowy plains. On the right side of the room sticking out was a huge bed, covered in plaid sheets. Across from the bed was a small wooden desk and a chest for clothing. Jimin sighed, feeling too tired to unpack. He felt yoongi shift beside him, getting up to put their things away.

 

When Jimin finally felt himself lose consciousness, he felt a light press of lips to his forehead.

 

-


 

“Never have I ever skipped doing my homework.”

 

Yoongi let another finger drop. “This game is way too easy. You need to ask harder questions Jimin.”

 

Jimin sighed before letting Yoongi continue. He had all ten fingers up while Yoongi only had two more to go.

 

“Never have I ever had a crush on my friend.”

 

Jimin gulped. He kept his fingers up. Yoongi lifted up his eyebrows.

 

“Never?”

 

“Never.”

 

Jimin and Yoongi were only friends. Sure, Jimin’s heart would always beat faster when Yoongi was around, but he wouldn’t…. date Yoongi. And Yoongi couldn’t have a crush on Jimin since he was the one asking the question.

 

Jimin and Yoongi were best friends, and nothing else. Or so, Jimin liked to think.

 

-

 

Yoongi was seventeen and Jimin was fifteen when they had their first taste of alcohol.

 

“Look what I have here,” Yoongi sing songed, holding up a clear bottle with blue lettering. It was in a different language so Jimin wasn’t sure what it had meant.

 

Before he could ask though, Yoongi answered for him. “It’s vodka. Imported. My friend gave it to me for christmas.”

 

Jimin gulped. “But we’re not legal yet. What if someone comes in?”

 

Yoongi tipped back in his seat, laughing. “You’re silly. stop being such a hardass.”

 

Yoongi cracked open the bottle before taking a swig. When his lips left the bottle, he let out a heavy cough but smiled through the tears that started to formulate in his eyes. “It’s good.”

 

Jimin, not wanting to seem uncool in front of Yoongi, took the bottle before taking a small sip.

 

“It’s not bad. It’s really bitter though.”

 

They both got tipsy that night, Jimin having to carry Yoongi back to his room so his parents wouldn’t suspect anything.

 

-

 

With Yoongi fast asleep beside him, Jimin realized he might not only like girls.

 

-


 

Jimin was fifteenth and Yoongi was seventeen when they first kissed each other.

 

Jimin had never felt this way about another boy. He thought it was weird because all of his friends had girl friends while Jimin thought about Yoongi, how his hands would feel on Jimin’s skin, how his breath would feel against the shell of Jimin’s ear, how all of him would feel. Jimin didn’t know what to do, so what better way than to ask Yoongi himself.

 

Once he was done with his epiphany, he ran over to Yoongi’s house, explaining to a flustered Namjoon that he really needed to see Yoongi before speeding up the stairs. He didn’t knock as he barged into the older boy’s room, panting. Yoongi was at at his desk with his reading glasses on, a pencil in hand. Taking image of Jimin’s appearance, he took his glasses off and stood up as Jimin closed the door behind them.

 

“What now, Jimin.”

 

“Yoongi, how do you feel about me?”

 

Yoongi seemed taken aback as he sat on the bed, facing Jimin.

 

“Well, you’re a brat that follows me around. Also, I guess you can say we’re friends.”

 

Jimin wasn’t sure why his chest suddenly felt tight but he continued on anyways. “Would it be weird if I asked you to kiss me?”

 

Yoongi seemed amused, leaning back on his hands to look up at Jimin, who had his hands behind his back. “In normal circumstances, yes. But for you, no. Trust me, you have asked me way worse things.”

 

Jimin searched his eyes before continuing forward, until his feet were touching Yoongi’s. Yoongi sat up straight, looking expectantly. Jimin froze, unsure of what to do.

 

“Well, aren’t you going to kiss me?”

 

Yoongi laughed, wrapping his hands around Jimin’s waist, as if they belonged there. Jimin felt his face heating up, looking down to face Yoongi. He closed his eyes, hoping Yoongi would sense his nervousness. A moment later, he felt chapped lips against his.

 

Jimin kept his mouth still, unsure of what to do before Yoongi brought his hand up to cup Jimin’s cheek, rubbing the side of it. He slowly pushed forward, encouraging Jimin to open his mouth. Jimin did so, soon feeling a tongue enter his mouth.

 

They kissed for what seemed like hours before Yoongi patted the back of Jimin’s knee, pulling both them over the sides of his lap. Jimin adjusted his position, his hands finding escape against Yoongi’s neck. Yoongi quietly moaned when Jimin tugged at the hairs on his neck, pulling them even closer together. Yoongi slowly moved his hands down Jimin’s backside, massaging him there.

 

Suddenly, there was a loud knock on the door. Both boys froze, as if just now realizing what they were doing before Yoongi pushed Jimin off.

 

-

 

Jimin was fifteen and Yoongi was seventeen when they stopped being friends.

 

He wasn’t sure when that had happened, but it probably had to do with them making out last week. He’s also pretty sure best friends don’t kiss each other behind closed doors. Jimin was also scared at what this all meant.

 

Jimin hadn’t seen Yoongi in a week, the elder ignoring the other in the hallways at school and even ditching jimin on their walk home. Everytime he would try to signal to Yoongi from his bedroom window, the other would choose to ignore Jimin, closing his curtains.

 

-

 

Jimin was fifteen and Yoongi was eighteen when he left for college.

 

He didn’t cry. He didn’t see Yoongi off.

 

They avoided each other the entire summer as if it was some unspoken agreement between them.


 

-


 

Jimin was sixteen and Yoongi was almost nineteen when they met again.

 

Jimin was sitting in his treehouse, the one he had outgrown years ago (even though that had never stopped him) in order to look at the stars. He laid flat against the worn out rug on the floor, his eyes fluttering open and closed in between blinks. Before he could properly sleep though, he heard a loud thud and curse at the bottom of the ladder.

 

Before he could see who it was, he saw a pink hair peaking out from the bottom of the wooden floor.

 

“Jimin, can I come in?”

 

Jimin nodded before realizing Yoongi can’t see him. “Yes.”

 

Yoongi pulled at an empty space in the floorboard to pull himself up. He smelt heavily of cologne and that one alcohol they had tried all those months ago. He tried to stand up before hitting his head, cursing again before bending at the knees. He sat down next to Jimin, looking out of the window.

 

“Remember when you took me here on your birthday party?”

 

Jimin nodded.

 

“What was that, four years ago?”

 

Jimin nodded. He wanted to ask what had happened to them but he chose not to.

 

Yoongi took Jimin’s hand, tugging at it so Jimin would look at him.

 

Jimin felt Yoongi’s breath on his ear.

 

“I think we’re more than friends.”

 

They kissed again that night.


 

-

 

Jimin was sixteen and Yoongi was eighteen when they started seeing each other behind everyone’s backs. It was winter break and Yoongi was back from college for a few weeks. Whenever Jimin wanted to meet up with Yoongi, he would gesture to him from his room, and they would meet in the treehouse.

 

On new years, they spent the night in each other’s arms.

 

A few weeks into january, Yoongi had to leave. He left Jimin behind in their shared bed, kissing him goodbye.

 

-

 

Jimin was seventeen when he graduated. His mom was sick so he decided to skip college and find a job in the city.

 

-

 

Jimin was eighteen when he met someone that wasn’t Yoongi. He was nice and treated him well.

 

-

 

Jimin was twenty and Yoongi was twenty two when Yoongi finally returned home from college. He pulled into his driveway with an old used car, a small bag of luggage in the back. Getting out of the car, he glanced at the for sale sign in front of Jimin’s house.

 

When he asked his parents, they said that Jimin’s mom had died and Jimin had gotten a job in a bigger city in order to pay the bills.

 

-

 

Jimin was twenty one and Yoongi was twenty three when they finally crossed paths again.

 

Yoongi had went to Jimin’s old treehouse, wanting to watch the sun set like old times. The rug was cold and full of dust, as was everything else in there. He thought about how they had hung out in here all those years ago. He also thought about the day he left without a note or a trace. He knew Jimin still asked about him, but he chose to not dwell on what they had.

 

He felt something next to him but didn’t bother to move as he knew who it was.

 

Jimin had thinned out over the years, his body getting leaner and his personality shaping out to be a more matured version of who he was.

 

Yoongi  had known Jimin was here to get the last of his belongings, finally ready to sell the house.

 

The sun was beginning to set before Jimin spoke up.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

“Just thought I’d see this place before you let it go.”

 

Jimin was silent.

 

“Why did you leave me?”

 

Yoongi paused. “I wasn’t good for you.”

 

“I think I knew what I was getting myself into.”

 

Yoongi turned to face Jimin, the boy he had fell in love with over ten years ago when he didn’t even know what love was.

 

“You weren’t ready for any of it.”

 

Jimin blinked the tears away.

 

“I’m sorry.” Yoongi added.

 

Yoongi knew those words meant nothing but he whispered them anyways, the wind catching them in its grasp. Yoongi felt a hand on his thigh.

 

“I am too.”

 

-

 

Jimin was twenty one and Yoongi was twenty four when they said goodbye to each other again.

 

Jimin was packing his things into his used car, one that looked eerily familiar yet Yoongi choose not say anything. Luggage was packed into the back, pressing against the seats and sides. Jimin closed the trunk, wiping his hands together.

 

Him and Yoongi stood looking at each other, wanting to say everything but instead letting the shared breath in between them do the talking.

 

“Is this it?”

 

“Seems like it.”

 

Jimin took a step forward. Yoongi closed his eyes.

 

“Maybe you can visit me.”

 

Yoongi took a deep breath. “Maybe.”

 

Jimin took Yoongi in his arms, hugging him. They stood there in Yoongi’s driveway for what seemed to be years before Jimin let go, opening the door to his car.

 

“I love you. Don’t forget that.” Jimin said, closing the door.

 

Yoongi backed away, watching Jimin turn out of the driveway and onto the main road.


He looked up at the sun.