Prologue

Just like the first time

The very first time they met was during the Stone Age; Choi Youngjae as a caveman with very little understanding and Mark Tuan as another caveman but from a rival tribe, that wasn’t any better from him. Due to trivial reasons like Youngjae’s tribe being sneakier by stealing away their food, Mark’s tribe hated them.

Their tribes lived across each other, a river in the middle of both mountains separating them as if it was meant to be. However, compared to Mark’s tribe that was skilled in fishing, Youngjae’s tribe was not as skilled in fishing and hunting. They mainly relied on other tribes to hunt for them and they did what they had to. During the night when Mark’s tribe was fast asleep, they crossed the rivers with their handmade canoes and stole whatever food they saw. They weren’t as cruel as they appeared to be; they left enough food for Mark’s tribe to feed on and while everyone gave a blind eye to that, Mark thought something was fishy.  

Perhaps it was coincidence that Mark saw them stealing their food one night, or perhaps, it was fate. There were about five or six of them running everywhere looking for food, one of them holding a bag and an additional one waiting by the canoe. It was certainly a hilarious (and not to mention, distracting) sight with the way they struggled to keep everything in their arms, that he even forgot to react.

When he did snap out of his trance, he picked up with his wooden staff and shouted gibberish as he ran after them. They were surprised; never before had they been caught by them, but they ran desperately to the canoe, not wanting to face the consequences of their actions. All of the food they had tried to steal had fallen onto the ground, being forgotten for a moment, that they didn’t notice one of them tripping and falling to the ground. They continued without the person, rowing as fast as they possibly could. Mark stopped running after them as soon as he saw them half way through the river, but he still shouted after them so that they would know it wasn’t over just yet. His eyes shifted to the sudden movement behind him and he put on a stance automatically, ready to defend himself and his tribe.

Much to his dislike, it was one of them. He could tell because of the ridiculous drawing of some sort on his left arm, different, bright colors radiating even in the darkness. Unlike them, they didn’t wear layers of fur coats but instead, they wore a type of clothing that hung from the hip. It didn’t provide them much warmth compared to the fur coats they had, but the “houses” they built were enough to keep them from freezing to death.

(They weren’t completely useless.)

The person before him was a male. He wasn’t holding a weapon or anything of the like and instead, put up his hands up, gulping nervously as they faced each other. Mark slowly dropped his stance and walked over him carefully, his eyes narrowed down in suspicion and staff still at hand. As he got closer, he noticed the charming feline like features the male possessed; his light brown hair was tussled and filled with knots as if a tornado had passed, greasy also, eyes pitch black that gazed back at him uncertainly, and a black dot under his left eye. All over his body was past injuries; some were big while others were small, fresh, new bruises he got just now from falling. Not to mention, he had dirt all over himself as if it was a second layer of skin.

Then it happened.

For the first time out of the many times it happened later on, there was a magnetic pull between both males that had them staring a little longer than they should. Something was also happening with their hearts that neither of them could comprehend at the moment. It was far bigger than they could ever imagine and they would only begin to understand what it was much later on. Confusion crossed each other’s features before a shout from the other side was heard, successfully catching their attention. The moment they shared wasn’t broken. The male looked torn, which was incredibly strange, as he left running back to his tribe, but it was even stranger that Mark didn’t even bother to stop him from running away.

It was stranger even more when Mark’s tribe finally woke up to the ruckus and asked him what had happened, and he covered them up. Even more so when both males had a quiet understanding and met each other again at the peak of the mountains, where the river met its end.

It wasn’t hard to ignore their tribe’s mutual and irrational hate they had against each other. At least, the boy didn’t make it hard when he smiled at him or ran his hands through Mark’s greasy hair, investigating whether he had creatures or not like a monkey. Or when they spent the night out by swinging their legs over the river at a dangerously close distance where either could fall in, or when he heard the boy’s laughter for the first time. It definitely wasn’t hard to ignore when they accidentally pressed each other’s lips against each other’s when Mark fell on top of him in attempt of trying to climb a tree at night. Neither of them moved for a moment, too stunned by the weird act he had pulled on them. But soon enough, they eased into the kiss, letting their wild instincts take over them for the night.

They continued meeting each other without their tribe’s consent until one night; they were caught and banned from their tribes for betrayal and secrecy. It certainly made things a whole lot easier for both of them than Mark would like to admit, but they made a living out of it anyways. They went on a journey far and beyond they ever had before during their whole life, and somewhere along the way, they died together holding hands.

But that wasn’t their last moment together.  

Fast forward to a couple of decades later and they were both lions, living peacefully by each other’s side. Mark was a Roman soldier while Youngjae was one of the sons of a Greek soldier he killed. Youngjae was the son of a pharaoh and Mark was a peasant that worked for his mother’s side of the family. They were both swimming next to each other in the giant big blue, passing by a million of fishes just like them. Mark was a prince during the Middle Ages and Youngjae was another prince that had a peculiar taste than most people during those times. Youngjae was accused by witchcraft and Mark was supposedly the victim of his spells. They were both running under the blue sky as they held hands, desperately running away from the helicopters that were dropping bombs on Pearl Harbor. At some point, they were both girls that were equally as confused about their uality as they were about each other’s feelings. The following decade, Youngjae was reborn as a girl and Mark as a boy that was younger than her by two or three years.

And just like the first time they met, they found each other over and over again as if it was meant to be. They felt the magnetic pull from scratch except that this time, they did understand what it meant. They were both much more vulnerable to the familiar concept that was love since they had much more to lose, to care about, and to consider now. At some point, however, all of that was ignored and they embraced each other’s past and destiny. The electricity they felt against each other’s bodies was sometimes too addicting, too sweet that instead of doing well, it destroyed them both. There wasn’t always a happy ending; sometimes one of them died before the other, and the latter had no other column of support that the pain was too much to handle on their own. Such changes were always unexpected, but there was no doubt that they wouldn’t find each other again.        

They were males again when Mark Tuan was born on 1993 and Choi Youngjae was born on 1996 except things were much more different than all of the previous times.

Very different.

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

A/N: I want to clear out that yes, it was during the Stone Age Era, but I wrote it thinking specifically on Paleolithic age-ish to Mesolithic age-ish since they have tools that might be considered a bit more modern for the Paleolithic era. Well... something like that anyways ;A; 

I also used placed them during very important moments in History so you'd have more or less of an idea how long ago it was... I looked it up, but feel free to point out if they are any inaccuracies ;A; 

Surprise, surprise! A soulmate au!!! *throws confetti everywhere* How original of me! :D Enjoy!