01.

Codename: Kai and Krystal

“You can go first, halmeoni,” Soojung says as she walks backwards to give a space for the old woman who’s queuing for the bus behind her.

The old woman seems to be pleased with it as she says, “Thank you so much! Your parents must be proud to have a well mannered daughter like you.”

Soojung only lets out a small laugh and ‘you’re welcome’ before she also hop into the bus.

Before she takes her usual seat, her eyes unconsciouly go to the seat on the back of the bus, and there he is. A boy that she always see in the bus and also in her class, named Kim Jongin.

She averts her gaze once Jongin’s eyes meet her, and she quickly takes her seat before the bus starts to move again.

--

Soojung believes that her being a Class President means she ever have a conversation at least once with all student in her class. But she never had one with Kim Jongin. They were from different class in freshman year, and they never say ‘hi’ to each other either eventhough they use the same bus to go to school and go back home, although they have different bus stop—in the morning, Jongin always there first since his stop is before Soojung, and when they go home, he always get off first.

Usually the only ‘interaction’ they have is a few glances to the each other eyes before they avert their gaze. It’s been going for five months now, since the first time Soojung tried to go to school alone by bus.

Soojung is definitely not the type who will feel concern with something petty like that, it’s not like she really wants to be Jongin’s friend or anything. She’s just... curious?

What kind of person Kim Jongin is?

Jongin seems to be more comfortable when he’s with his friends—especially with Sehun, one of their classmate, seems like they’ve been friends since a long time ago judging by how they glued to each other side everyday—he smiles more he laughs more. But still most of the times he only listens to them with a sleepy eyes. Or sometimes his mouth is busy munching pepero stick. People around him usually say that he’s kind, a lot of teacher say the same thing too because Jongin always willing to help them. He’s not popular, but she heard that few girls ever confessed to him before, but he never accepted any. ‘Sorry, I don’t have any thought to have girlfriend right now,’ he said.

When he’s on the bus, he always sit on the back near the window. His eyes boring to the outside till the bus arrived on its destination. Sometimes he has earphones on both his ears. Sometimes he sleeps too and almost miss his stop—Soojung tries to approach him on time like that but he opens his eyes before Soojung even stands from her seat.

Only that.

Aside of that, Soojung is completely clueless about Jongin.

...and she also clueless about what will happen to her soon.

--

Soojung is bored.

Usually on the way back home, she will spend it with reading a book or playing with her phone. But she forgot to bring any book that day, and her phone is dead because she also forgot to charge it a day before.

And she’s currently sit one meter away from Jongin.

Soojung never sit on the back before since she always choose somewhere near the door so she can get off the bus fast. But the bus is full with passenger today and she ended up on her seat now.

Jongin only gave her a milisecond glance before he turned his head away, earphones on both his ears again. The only unusual thing was he didn’t get off the bus when it was his stop, but Soojung decided to shrugh it off.

So here she is, eyes busy looking to scenery outside the bus’ window. Her mind is full with hope that the driver will drive a little bit faster today because she can’t handle boredom that well. At time like this, maybe it will be better if Jongin and her is friend so they can talk and kill this awkward air around them—well Soojung does feel awkward around him.

Suddenly Soojung feels the bus stop abruptly and she lets out a little squeal with her hands holding onto the seat to keep her balance. At the same time she heard something dropped. She figures out later what the thing is when she heard a groan from her side, turning to the voice where she sees Jongin crouching down trying to get something—his phone. Jongin tries to reach out for his phone but when he is so close to it the bus moves again and his phones slides further from him.

To under Soojung’s feet.

Soojung didn’t even think twice before she bend forward and grab the phone. “Don’t pick it up—“ Jongin’s voice came a little bit late and Soojung’s already saw what’s on Jongin’s phone screen.

He’s currently playing EXO’s Call Me Baby.

“You are EXO’s fanboy?” Soojung didn’t think twice too when she asked that out loud.

It’s few second later after that she heard few giggles from the front seat and she turns to it—few middle school girls currently looking to her and Jongin with amused face. When she looks up, she swears Jongin’s face is red.

Kim Jongin is freaking blushing in front of her.

The bus stop again, more slower than before. Jongin gets up from his seat, snatches his phone from Soojung’s hand and walks to the door quietly. After that, Soojung suddenly realized it’s her stop and she quickly gets up from her seat too and walk a little bit faster than usual.

When she gets off the bus, Soojung notice how Jongin hasn’t walked that far from the bus stop. She timidly walks behind him and it takes a lot of courage to start walking beside him and says, “I’m sorry.”

Jongin stares at her a little bit longer than usual before he lets out another groan and his hands ruffle his hair roughly. Soojung swears Jongin is ready to throw harsh remark to her before his face becomes red again as he says, “I can’t believe someone finally knows about it.”

Huh?

“What?”

“About fanboy things,” he says. “I always keep it to myself, even my sister doesn’t know it.”

Soojung still waiting for the harsh remark.

But Jongin doesn’t say anything again as he walking quietly beside her—red shades on his face disappeared again.

“W-Wait, you’re not mad with me?”

“Mad? For what?”

“Well... because I just embarrassed you and even made those girls looked like ‘oh he’s a fanboy of a boyband full with pretty boys who wears tight ripped jeans’?” Jongin’s eyebrows lift up. “Don’t get me wrong, I like EXO too and Kai is hot.”

Jongin burst into a fit laughter. “I did feel embarrassed but it’s kinda hilarious when I remember your face at that time. You looked completely shocked and I swear your eyes became twice bigger than your usual eyes.”

Soojung one hundred percent sure that she currently making a dumfounded face but all she can think about is how different Jongin’s personality with what she thought over five months. He kinds of interesting. Someone who will be a nice companion, Soojung adds it to her mind.

“...so you’re not mad?”

“I’m not, Pres.”

This time, it’s Soojung’s turn to burst into laughter. “Did you just call me ‘Pres’ as in President for Class President?”

Jongin nods. “Yeah? Because you’re Class President, that’s why?”

“Even our teacher never call me that!”

Soojung’s impression of Kim Jongin definitely changed a lot.

Before Jongin can say anything, Soojung cut him when she spotted a familiar cafe few meter ahead them. “Are you busy now?” she asks.

“No, why?”

“Let’s go there then,” she points her index finger to the cafe, “It’s my favorite place since it’s good and not too pricey for student like us.” She saw Jongin’s confused face but he doesn’t say anything as he follows Soojung’s step quietly.

Hyukoh’s Gondry welcome both of them as they step inside the cafe, and the man behind the counter welcome—and startled—them too with a loud voice, “Welcome to Vanilla Drop!”

When they finally stand in front of the counter, the same loud voice asks them, “Dine in or take away?”

“Dine in,” Soojung answers with a smile.

The man smiles back at her, “Then what would you like to order?”

“One mango smoothie please,” she looks at Jongin beside her, “Pick something. My treat.”

“Wait, treat for what?”

“A token of apologies for revealing your biggest secret to the world,” Jongin lets out a light laugh.

“Okay, okay. One ice chocolate mint without whipped cream, then.”

Soojung lifts up her eyebrows in amusement. “I don’t expect you to be a sweet tooth.”

Jongin shrughs his shoulder. “Coffee is a poison y’know. And it’s bitter—I don’t know why people like it.”

Soojung burst into a laughter again.

--

When they finally found a good spot to sit, different song starting to play on the cafe’s speaker and it’s EXO’s Love Me Right. Soojung fake a cough as she smiles playfully to Jongin, while the other only shakes his head before he says, “Stop teasing me, okay?”

“I’m not! It just... it’s my first time to meet a fanboy and I didn’t expect it to be like you,” she answers, her fingers make a tap move on her drink’s plastic cup.

“Didn’t expect it to be like me?”

She nods. “You look like a quiet kid, yet you’re listening to call me baby, babe~ call me baby~” she makes the signature dance’s move as in her hands tapping her shoulder.

“Well their dance is good, their song too so I grew up to like them. But I also like girlgroups too like AOA or Girls’ Day,” Jongin shakes his head again as if he didn’t expect to talk about it with Soojung, “Just forget it. I think we should talk about your impression to me instead.”

“Why?”

“I think we might have misunderstanding about it,” Soojung makes an obvious what-do-you-mean face and Jongin continues, “Like you said, I look like a quiet kid but the things is I’m just not good with stranger.”

Soojung sipping her drink first before she adds, “Stranger as in me.”

Jongin nods slowly. “Yeah, we never talk before eventhough we’re on the same class and always use go to school and go back from school using the same bus.”

So he thought the same thing too, Soojung’s mind said.

“Even Sehun realized it.”

“Sehun?”

Jongin hums. “He asked me one time why I’m not close with you since he expected someone like us,” his finger point at Soojung first then him, “will be a close friend because we always meet each other more often than anyone else in the class. Even more often then me and him.”

“Maybe it was because we never have any topic to talk about in school and our seat is far from each other too,” Jongin nods in agreement, “In the bus too, you always sit on the back and you always listens to music or sleep so we can’t talk.”

“Wow you knew, are you a stalker or something?” Soojung manages to give a intimidating glare to Jongin but the latter only laughs at it, “I guess we always watch each other since I also knew that you always read something and play with your phone.”

“Stalker who called someone else stalker.”

Jongin laughs again. “I was kidding. I can’t help it, I always see you so I just knew.”

“Yeah, it happened to me too,” Soojung nods her head. To be honest she also wanted to ask how was Jongin’s impression about her but she doesn’t have any courage to do that—what if Jongin thought she’s self centered because she wanted to know about it?—so she stay silent after that.

Jongin doesn’t say anything too and an awkward silence starts to engulf them as they choose to be busy with their drinks instead. When Jongin is finished with his drink and Soojung only drink up to half of her cup, Jongin clears his throat, “So... I guess we’re friends now?”

Soojung pretends to think about it first before she answers, “Maybe?”

“...maybe?

“Since I never say anything about being friends with a fanboy,” Maybe because they only knew each other for less than an hour that Jongin doesn’t throw his empty cup into Soojung’s head whenever Soojung teases him. Before Soojung continues it with ‘Just kidding!’ Jongin already opens his mouth and lets out a question, “How about being secret friends?”

Huh?

That is Soojung’s second Huh today.

“You don’t know secret friends?” Jongin dumbly asks.

“Well... it’s being friends but keeping about it from others, right?” Soojung is not that dumb but she answers it anyway, “But why? I was just kidding about being friends with fanboy.”

“I know, I know. But I just got this idea when you said that. What if you accidentally spills about it to someone?”

“Like they would believe me.”

Jongin chuckles. “They would if we become close with each other. Everyone always thought that close friends know each other secret, right?” Soojung nods. “Even Sehun doesn’t know about it and once he knows, he definitely will tease me about it every single day. So, if we stay as stranger on public and you accidentally spill it out, people will think twice to believe it since they will be like ‘how do you know? Seems like you never talk to him before despite always meet each other in daily life’

Soojung’s mind slowly absorbing Jongin’s words one by one, until her face perks up when she gets his point. “You get a good point there. I think I can accidentally spill it because I tend to talk without thinking first.”

Jongin laughs. “Like what you did on the bus.”

Soojung laughs too. “Like what I did on the bus.”

“So... you agree with it?”

She nods her head and Jongin mumbles an ‘okay then’ before he takes out his phone from his pocket and give it to Soojung. “Let’s exchange number.”

Soojung makes a ‘huft’ sound as she takes the phones, “What's the point of being secret friends if we exchange number? People will know we’re friends if they happen to see our message to each other,” but then like in animation movie where its character suddenly have an idea and there’s a lamp turns on above their heads, it seems to happen to Jongin too as Soojung saw his expression suddenly became excited.

“Let’s have a code name then!”

Huh?

That is Soojung’s third Huh today—she never thought her minds ever get confused as many as today.

“Code name?”

“Yes, like intelegent agent.”

“Jongin... perhaps you are a fan of James Bond’s movie or something?”

“Who doesn’t like James Bond?" Soojung rolls her eyes when Jongin didn't get her sarcasm, "But that’s not the point here. Think of it, if we make secret name they wouldn’t know from whom the text is.”

Jongin definitely exceeds Soojung’s expectation over him.

“Okay okaaay, let’s have a code name. Are we gonna pick it by ourself or—“

“I have a code name that will suit you.”

Wow that’s quick, Soojung thought. “What is it?”

“Krystal,” Jongin gives her a smile and Soojung suddenly feels her blood rushing a little bit faster than usual, “How is it?”

Soojung makes another "huft" voice, "It’s only my name translated to English word... but not bad.”

You’re such a liar, Jung Soojung. You like it, Soojung’s mind talk on her own but Soojung pushes it aside.

She definitely didn’t think first again when she says, “Then you can be Kai.” Oops.

“...what?”

Soojung lets out a fake laugh—hoping Jongin doesn’t notice it, “...because you like EXO?”

Jongin laughs again—Soojung thinks she's still not used to see Jongin's laugh this close yet, eventhough she already saw it plenty today. “Not because I’m as hot as the real Kai?”

Soojung pretends her heart is not speeding up as she finished typing her number on Jongin’s phone and shoves it back to him roughly. Jongin continues his laugh and Soojung feels her heart wouldn't slow down any soon.

--

It’s 8 PM when Soojung feels a vibration from her phone, a sign of her getting a text from someone. She quickly grabs it and sees one message for her.

 

From: Kai

Thanks for ur treat today. I will pay it back soon

 

Never thought he will send any text this soon, Soojung thought as she quickly types a reply for it.

 

To: Kai

U already walk me home like a princess today eventho you need to catch a bus again after that so I thought it was ur payback. But since u said so then I’ll wait patiently~

 

From: Kai

U made me regret with what I just said

 

To: Kai

U can’t take it back y’know

 

From: Kai

A real man never take his words back y’know

 

Soojung lets out a small laugh.

 

To: Kai

Yeah yeah yeah whatever

 

Soojung spend her night replying Jongin’s text until midnight but she finds herself doesn’t mind it.

--

Soojung forgot to cover when she's yawning for five times already. An older woman who queuing to the bus' door beside her must be thinking Soojung doesn't have any manner because of that, but she doesn't care anyway. She quickly hops into the bus and her eyes already spot the boy she's been thinking of. Her feet starts to make a move to the seat on the back of the bus and she says, "Good morning." before she sit right beside him.

Jongin flashes her his toothy smile before he responds it, "Morning, Krys."

"Pfft don’t use that code name on real life, will you?"

Jongin chuckles. "But I don't know what to call you. Soojung-ssi?" Soojung lifts her eyebrow, "Soojung-ah? Is it okay?"

She quickly nods. "It's okay, we're friends afterall."

Soojung lied. She just like they way Jongin said her name—she admits it this time.

After that, neither of them make any further conversation and ‘damn it’s kinda awkward’ is the only thing that Soojung says over and over again as she fidgeting a bit in her seat. Being comfortable with someone you just talked with yesterday is not as easy as she thought.

When the bus is arrived at their destination, the silence still occupied both of them as they get off together from the bus. Jongin timidly stand beside her, quickly mumbles, “You can go first.”

“What?”

“You can go first, I need to wait for Sehun. His bus arrived after our bus.”

Soojung’s mouth makes an ‘o’ shape as she nodding her head slowly. “That’s why you two always glued to each other.”

Jongin lets out an airly laugh. “Hope you don’t mean it in weird way.”

“Of course not,” Soojung gives a quick glance to Jongin before she says, “I’ll go now then. See you later in class.”

“See you later, Soojung-ah,” Jongin smiles.

Soojung pretends that those smile doesn’t make her legs feeling wobble. She quickly regains her composure then waves her hand for milisecond—enough for Jongin to see—then hurries to walk towards the school.

The time she arrived in the classroom, Jinri already clings to her arm and yells out, “Soojung-ah, good morning!”

Soojung laughs. “Good morning, Jinri-ya. You are more energetic than usual, something happened?”

Her bestfriend nods her head in excitement, but she doesn’t say anything until the both take their sit—Jinri sit the second line, Soojung exactly behind her, “I’ll go to amusement park with Taemin oppa on Sunday! Can’t you believe it? It’s our first date!”

“Really? That’s good!” Jinri always been on crush with their senior, Lee Taemin, since God knows when. And when the feeling is mutual and they finally dating for a week now, and the fact that they will have their first date as a couple soon makes Soojung knows really well that Jinri is more than happy right now.

“Yeah, but you know...” Jinri slowly make a grin in her face, “Maybe if one day you have a boyfriend, we can have double date!”

“Pfft, Choi Jinri, what are you talking about—“

“Seriously, Soojung-ah, are you sure you will spend your high school days without at least one boyfriend? You always study and you rarely hangout too,” Jinri says with sad tone, “I don’t want you to feel alone....”

Soojung shakes her head in amusement, “It’s okay—“ at the same time she notices Jongin and Sehun arrived at the class, “—I have found something that made me interesting.”

Huh? What is it?”

“Well it’s a secret~”

“Eh?!”

While Jinri starts whining at her, she glances a little bit to Jongin—his seat is at the back—and saw the boy staring at her and he flashes her faint smile. A little bit hesitated, Soojung smiles back then she turns her attention back to Jinri—only to find her bestfriend looking at her with curious eyes before she asks, “What are you smiling at?”

Soojung shakes her head quickly. “Nothing, it’s nothing.”

--

“I think Jinri knows something,” Jongin says as he scribbles an unknown doodle into his books. His other hand reaches for his ice chocolate mint then he takes a sip of it. “You know, about us. She keeps looking at me—“

“Nope, she’s not. She’s dense as ever,” Soojung cut out.

Huh? Really?”

Soojung only nods her head, her eyes still fix to the book on her hand. Few questions left, she thought.

Her mind flew away to the two weeks ago, she still remember how pitiful Jongin’s face was when he begged for Soojung to help him in getting a better score in the next English’s quiz or else he will get another miserable result again. Left with no choice, Soojung agreed to it—and she also remembers how happy Jongin after that.

Vanilla Drop cafe, their hideout place since two months ago when they decided to become ‘secret’ friends, becomes the only place for them to study together—they used to go there to waste their time after school with talking nonstop until it’s late. It’s almost everyday they come to there to the point they know the man behind the cashier that well—Chanyeol, the man’s name, always welcome them with loud voice then he will ask, “Are you guys sure will order ice chocolate mint and mango smoothie again? We have other favorite drink too, y’know. Or you guys can order couple menu cause it’s cheaper—” and after that Soojung will blush and Jongin clears his throat first before answering, “We’re not couple, hyung.”

Yes, they only friends, even when they already close to each other within two months. Soojung spends most of her night replying Jongin’s chat, and Jongin spends most of his weekend with watching movies online with Soojung over video chat. But nothing’s change, at least Soojung always convinces herself about it.

Even when she felt her blood flow a little bit quicker when she saw Jongin threw her a small smile in class. Or when Jongin sent her ‘congratulations!’ text when Soojung get a full mark score on their recent Math’s quiz. Or when Jongin sneaks out a mango yoghurt into Soojung’s bag because she said she wanted one a night before. Or when Jongin always walk her home despite his home is on the opposite way with Soojung and he never forget to say ‘See you tomorrow’ with a big grin in his face.

Soojung never forget to convince herself that Jongin only look at her as friend, and so does her.

“Rather than Jinri, I think Sehun is the one who knows something,” she says as she finished the last questions of their English homework. “Now, you try the next page questions, I think Mr. Wu will make more questions like those for the next quiz.”

Jongin, a little bit distracted with English matter, only nods his head before his eyes starting to scan the questions. “O-okay, but what did you say before? About Sehun?”

“I think rather than Jinri, Sehun is the one who knows something about us,” Soojung says once again. “Remember that he almost caught me when I tried to sneak pepero snack to your bag?”

Soojung feels the same urge to burry herself alive again as she recalls the recent event once again. It was two days ago when Soojung got a free pepero snack when she bought mango yoghurt at their school canteen. Not really fond with sweet things, Jongin’s face appeared on her mind when she thought about what she would do with the snack. So she walked to the class and found it empty because they have PE class after that, so everybody must be gone to changing room already. Without much thought, she shoved the pepero snack into Jongin’s bag, but before she could zip up the bag, she heard foot steps grew closer to the classroom so she quickly left Jongin’s seat and reached to her seat first. At the same time, someone opened the classroom’s door, revealing Oh Sehun who stared right to Soojung.

‘Soojung-ssi, you are still here?’ he asked. Soojung, with her heart almost bursted out, tried to answer it with a calm tone, but in the end she didn’t say anything and only gave him a brief nod. She took out her PE uniform and started to walk out the classroom, totally ignoring the confused Sehun who kept staring at her.

Jongin’s laugh make Soojung’s back to the reality again. “Oh that, I don’t think he knows anything too anyway. He only said you look pale that time, like you would faint anytime so that’s why he kept staring at you, in case y’know, you really fainted,” he ends it with another laughter.

“Stop laughing, you fanboy,” Soojung says with intimidating tone, only to see Jongin laughs even more.

“Sorry sorry, can’t help it I just though it’s funny that from all person, Sehun was the one who almost saw you sneaked a pepero snack into my bag. Such a coincidence.”

Soojung lets out a ‘huff’ voice before she says with irritated tone, “Forget it, will you? Now finish those questions in 15 minutes, or else I will stop helping you get a good score on the next quiz.”

In fear of Soojung will really stop helping him when she’s the only key for him to pass the next quiz, Jongin quickly mutters an apology and starts to focus more to the questions—leaving Soojung watching him amusement.

“You know, I can give you something as a reward if you get at least 70 in the next quiz.”

What?

Soojung shuts right away. Damn, she carelessly said things like that.

When she about to say ‘Just kidding!’ Jongin already stares into her with a big smile in his face, “Really?”

Left with no choice, Soojung nods her slowly. “Y-yeah of course, if I can fulfill it.”

“Okay then!”

Just like that, Soojung sees Jongin with a fighting spirit surrounding him for the first time.

She silently hopes Jongin doesn’t ask any weird things later.

--

“What the, 80?! How the heck you get better score than me?!” Sehun’s voice was loud enough for Soojung to hear from her seat. She takes a glimpse of Sehun’s annoyed face, and completely happy Jongin staring at the paper in his hands.

“Now spill it, what’s your secret behind this?” Sehun asked again before his friend can say anything.

Jongin—still with a big smile plastered to his face—answers, “Someone who’s good at English was teaching me lately.”

(Soojung wouldnt lie, she does feel proud with herself after hearing that)

When Soojung takes another glimpse to see Sehun’s expression, she cleary sees teasing face that Oh Sehun currently make.

“A girl?”

Jongin nods.

“...pretty?”

Before Soojung can grasp the question, she heard Jongin’s answer clearly.

“Yes.”

Soojung swears her heart drops.

--

From : Kai

So I guess I can ask for my reward??

 

To : Kai

Damn why do u still remember

 

From : Kai

Cause it’s rare of you to be generous lol it just happened to be my biggest motivation aside of avoiding English’s remedy quiz

 

To : Kai

...flattered to hear that Kim Kai. Okay then spill it what do u want

 

From : Kai

Are you free this Saturday?

--

If Soojung wanted to be honest with herself, she’s currently doesn’t see any point of being ‘secret’ friends with Kim Jongin again.

Especially when Jongin bluntly asked her to accompany him for the weekend—doesn’t want to call it as a ‘date’ and for the sake of Soojung’s heart, she called it friendly-walk-with-friends. Aware that she made a promise to him already, she couldn’t say no.

So here they are, walking side by side, staring at here and there. In the middle of crowd in Samcheongdong.

“Jongin, are you sure no one will see us? It’s weekend and—“ Soojung stops her babbling when Jongin suddenly entered a book store on their left, her feet following Jongin’s steps queitly.

“It’s okay, it’s not like someone we know will appear out of nowhere in Samcheongdong. It will be different if we are currently in Garosugil or Dongdaemun,” he answers in relax tone. “Just... try to loosen up a bit, Krys.”

Soojung lets out a ‘pfft’ voice, “Why do you still call me that in real life? It sounds... embarassing.”

Huh? I thought it sounds like idol’s stage name.”

“You fanboy, quit talking about idols already.”

Jongin chuckles and mutters a quick ‘okay okay’ before he completely focus with one of the book he picked randomly.

Seeing Jongin getting comfortable, Soojung starts to also look for random books. It’s been a while since she goes to book store, but she never to go to one in Samcheongdong before. Might as well make herself comfortable too.

It takes more than fifteen minutes for both of them looking around the book store, enough for them commenting over a cheesy summary in few books and Jongin’s explaining few books that ever read before.

“Do you ever read this one?” Soojung asks teasingly, her hand shoves the red cover book to Jongin. Once Jongin take a good look to the book, he understands why Soojung .

“For your information, I read this book before Kai quoted the book content in SBS Gayo Dajeun last year,” he says as he stares at the book in his hand—the title is ‘Traveler’s Read’. At the bottom of the book’s cover, it says 'Someone's life can be another person's landscape.—Kai (EXO)'

“But you know, he picked the right quote,” Soojung says as she randomly takes one book and open it. “The entire life of one person might just be another person’s scenery... it’s more deep the more I thought about it.”

Jongin nods in agreement. “I think it’s the perfect description of falling in love. Not only the perfect one, but you also love the imperfect side of them.”

Soojung can’t help to stares in awe as Jongin flashes her his toothy smile. “I... didn’t know you can say something cheesy like that.”

“You—“ before he can do anything, Soojung already run outside the book store—leaving him still with the red cover book in his hand. He lets out a chuckles before he puts it back to the book shelf. His starts to walk towards the girl outside the book store, who currently staring at the scenery around her.

“Let’s go,” Jongin says.

Huh? You didn’t buy anything?”

“Nope, so let’s moving to other place.”

Soojung hums, and her feet move in synchronize with Jongin’s feet. She starts to feel that it’s not a bad thing that he accepted Jongin request as she looking around. The colorful mural art, clothes shop here and there, restaurants set in remodeled hanoks, cafe with cute decoration.

“You start to think that you can go around Samcheongdong all day long, right?” Jongin asks, both of his hand shoved to his jeans’ pocket.

“Yeah, kinds of. The scenery is... beautiful.”

“Certain someone with blue sweater and black jeans is beautiful too, by the way,” he says before he strolls a little bit faster and randomly goes inside one of the cafe—this time it’s Soojung who got left behind, still confused with Jongin’s word.

What does he mean with blue sweater and black jeans—

Until she saw what she wears.

She quickly goes inside the cafe and ranting to Jongin how embarassing his words was.

(She wears a blue sweater and black jeans today)

--

Soojung already lost count of how long she have been spending her time with Jongin today. She only remembers how happy she was when Jongin bought her an organic vanilla ice cream with honeycomb and it was delicious that she almost dragged Jongin to buy it again, or when she continuously get a lot of Jongin’s photos today—happy Jongin, eating Jongin, confused Jongin, surprised-with-the-price Jongin, derp Jongin, everything Jongin.

She’s genuinely happy, and it might be a little bit cheesy but she’s happier because Jongin is here with her.

She wonders if it’s normal that she has a feeling like that with a friend.

Suddenly between her thought, she feels someone takes her hand and pulls her along. Once she awares that it’s Jongin who pulls her, she stutters, “H-hey, why suddenly we are in hurry?”

“I saw Jinri.”

Huh?

“It’s impossible, she wouldn’t be here because it would feel lonely with many couple around—“ Soojung stop her babbling once she understands the situation, “Is she with Taemin sunbae?”

“Yeah, and it’s a bad thing for ‘secret’ friends like us because Taemin is my childhood friends. He will tease us till the world’s end.”

“Wow you make it sounds scarier—“ This time it’s Soojung who pulls Jongin to random clothes shop once she spotted another familiar face between the crowd.

“Do you see someone else?” Jongin asks in disbelief.

Soojung nods. “It’s Sehun. I think he’s with few boys.”

“...today we supposed to meet up with our middle school friends, but I didn’t think that a crowd full of boys with come to here instead of Garosugil,” Jongin unconsciouly put his palm on his face.

“Maybe they wanted a change?”

“Y-yeah, maybe....”

“...believe me I wanted to say ‘Abort mission, abort mission!’ right now.”

“I was thinking the same thing too, Jung Soojung,” Jongin lets out a sigh, “But it wouldn’t help us, so now let’s split up first. We should walk as farther as we can, then we meet up again.”

“Okay, I’ll go first,” Soojung says before she walks outside the shop with innocent face. She looks around her first, confirming that there’s neither Jinri nor Sehun, then she walks to the opposite of the crowd.

As she walking farther away, she feels a continues vibration from her pocket. When she pulls out her phone, she sees a familiar name calling her. She takes a deep breath before she slides the green phone symbol to pick up the call. “Yoboseyo?”

“Hello, Jung Soojung~”

“What do you want, Choi Jinri?”

“Nothing~ by the way, where are you right now?”

Holy—

“I’m outside right now, Sooyeon unnie asked me to accompany her shopping today.”

“Shopping? Where? Garosugil?”

“Y-yeah, why did you ask?”

“Hmm nothing, just wanted to know what are you doing since you tend to spend weekend sleeping.”

“There’s nothing wrong with sleeping.”

“I know but you should spend it in other way, like hangout with someone maybe?”

“...well I’m sorry that I don’t have boyfriend right now.”

Soojung heard a laugh from then other line. “Sorry sorry that wasn’t what I meant. But really, you should go to somewhere. Taemin oppa and I are currently in Samcheongdong and believe me it’s beautiful here.”

I know, Jinri-ya. I know, Soojung thought. “Are you trying to make me envy? That wouldn’t work you know, Garosugil is also beautiful.”

Another laugh from Jinri. “Yeah I know. Then I’ll call you later, Soojung-ah! Say hi to Sooyeon unnie from me!”

“Okay then, see you later, Jinri-ya,” she quicky taps the end calling and lets out a relieved sigh. Seems like Jinri didn’t see her.

When she feels another vibration, she saw another calls from different person.

“Yobose—“

“Agent Krystal, please tell me your location right now.”

Soojung almost bursts out laughing when she heard that. “Jongin what are you doing?”

“Well... I was thinking that we can pretend that we are intelegent agent for once. We have the code name already so we can use it!”

“Pfft, why you are so obsessed with a being an intelegent agent?“

“Because it’s cool?”

“Seriously?”

“...”

“Okay fine... Agent Kai.”

“Oh you played along! Let’s start from the beginning then. Agent Krystal, please tell me your location.”

“I’m currently in front of innisfree shop, Agent Kai.”

“Oh I see you!”

Soojung almost mutters a ‘Huh?’ but before she can turns her head, someone already takes her hand and pulls her again.

“J-Jongin, slow down! It’s the second time you make me run today!”

“Well since you usually spend your weekend sleeping, it considers to be good to run few times in a day,” Jongin says sheepishly.

Huh?

“Y-you overheard my conversation with Jinri?! How?!”

“I was hiding in one of the clothes shop to avoid Sehun, but I ended up in the same shop with Jinri and Taemin. Thank God they didn’t notice me though,” he says. “I overheard your conversation a little bit then after that I ran again.”

“You’re still running right now.”

“You feel bothered with it?”

“Yes, because you’re pulling me along and I ended up running like you too.”

Soojung wanted to rant how she feels sweaty from the bottom to the top or how tired her legs are, but when she saw Jongin’s smile as he says, “Because running alone feels lonely, so it’s better running together like this,” she found hersef doesn’t mind it again.

And Jongin doesn’t let go of her hand at all.

It’s obviously one of the best weekend she ever had.

--

“Sorry it was already this late,” Jongin says once they arrived in front of Soojung’s apartement. “Your parent wouldn’t kill me if I make you come home in this hour?”

Soojung lifts her eyebrows. “Seriously? You are worrying now? You were the one who asked me if we should go to somewhere else and we ended up in karaoke room for 3 hours?”

“You seemed to enjoy it though.”

“Said someone who completely immersed in singing EXO’s songs while dancing to it too.”

Jongin almost flick Soojung’s forehead as a revenge—and Soojung is ready to avoid it—but his hand ends up ruffling Soojung’s hair instead. Soojung feels her body stiffened because of it.

“Did you have fun?” he asks.

“...yes I did.”

Jongin smiles. “Glad that you had fun.”

Once Jongin stops ruffling Soojung’s hair, he says, “I’ll go home now, you should go inside.”

Soojung nods. “See you in Monday, Agent Kai. Be careful.”

“See you later too, Agent Krystal.”

That night, until she lays down in her bed—ready to sleep, Soojung still can feel the warm from Jongin’s hand when he ruffled her hair.

--