Chapter 3

How to Steal a Mermaid

 

An awkward silence.

Five boys around their usual table in the cafeteria. A certain feel of embarrassment and muffled laughter.
 

Ten minutes had passed since they sat down and Minwoo pulled out printed photos from their trip this weekend, then took his phone and played a video.

Snickering again and Junghyuk felt his cheeks flushing.

They were watching the photos taken in a commando mode by Minwoo of the merman and Junghyuk. Videos of the merman’s tale glowing and him singing.

All for Junghyuk, they said.
 

“He has the hots for you.” Minwoo laughed, replaying the video over and over, “I can’t believe it.”
 

“Well right,” Dongwan was nodding in agreement, “our Junghyuk is indeed handsome, even merpeople fall for him.”
 

“What are you even saying…” Junghyuk grumbled, “Stop, this is ridiculous. Maybe he just smelt something on me –“
 

“Via glass wall?” Dongwan lifted his brows, “Nah, really, Junghyuk, I did some reading and there are animals whom change their appearances to court their loved ones, there are whales singing as well. This merman was courting you, his eyes were totally glued on you.”
 

Junghyuk felt his heart sink, “He is not an animal.”
 

They all fell silent and stared at Junghyuk, then they all glanced at each other before asking, “Then what would you call him?”
 

Junghyuk fell deep into thinking and he thought of that controversy between people related to the nature of the merman’s being.

Was it human? Was it an animal? Junghyuk found himself not being able to decide and he figured there was no need to.

Then he had a thought: Did Hyesung have to be any of these?

And most of all, it was a ‘he’ and not ‘it’. That’s what he decided.
 

“Hyesung is a merperson.” He said finally, “One of the merpeople.”
 

They stared at him for a while then smirked, his answer was more than enough for them before they started teasing him again, “So, how did you like the merman’s courting?”
 

“He was not –“
 

Choongjae interrupted him, “I’m sure he was. He could not take his eyes off of you.”
 

“Exactly.” Sunho nodded, “He was not even around but immediately appeared when you got close to the glass wall.”
 

“Fateful meeting.” They all said in unison, causing Junghyuk a headache.
 

At the same time, he could not help but think of what really happened that time in the Aquarium, between him and Hyesung. Because something did happen, he would have been a fool if he denied this fact.

He still remembered that pair of eyes, staring at him as if they were looking right into his soul, he still remembered that charming red light on his scales and his voice, that voice that caressed his heart as silky, cool hands.
 

He would have lied if he said he was not affected. Of course he was.

Before, he had never seen or heard anything this beautiful and calming. And he thought, he felt it, that moment his heart was beating together with Hyesung’s.
 

It was a weird sensation and Junghyuk had to think: maybe the merman really was courting him.

And Junghyuk was not sure if he thought of it as something unpleasant.
 

His thoughts were interrupted by an obvious, angered glare his foggy gaze got tangled up with.

Taehee was staring at him from the other side of the cafeteria; she was sitting with her friends and on his side a new guy, his arm around her waist.

He knew it was not appropriate to let out a relieved sigh but in the end he could not hold it back.
 

He was now a free man and he thought it was all good this way.

After they were kicked out of the Aquarium and he met Taehee’s shocked and furious gaze, she soon walked up to him and said on a rather terrifying calm tone:

“I’ve told you not to come here.”
 

“Yah.” Minwoo’s voice was scornful, he really must have been his only friend whom was not really scared of Taehee, “Just why exactly do you think you can tell Junghyuk where he can go and when and with whom?”
 

Taehee’s brows were furrowed and a flame got lit in her eyes as she glared at Minwoo. She was not used to people standing up against her.

“Was it you whom made Junghyuk come here?”
 

“Hah, I did not need to make him, he wanted to come anyway.”
 

Junghyuk sensed the growing danger and decided to at least save Minwoo, “It’s… it’s okay, Minwoo, just go away, you are not helping.” He pushed and pushed him till he was far from them together with the others, then he went back to Taehee to face his fate, “Look, I know I was not quite honest…”
 

“You are a lying weasel, Junghyuk.” She said simply, her tone was hurtful – like she was talking to a piece of…, “I’m honestly disappointed. Though, true enough, not surprising, you are a pushover. No wonder your friends could drag you here.”
 

Junghyuk felt the corner of his mouth twitching. He got annoyed, offended. Actually, that very moment he really had enough of Taehee and her manner and her irritating thought of wanting to control Junghyuk, “I came on my own.” He replied coolly, “And the reason I haven’t told you is because you are so damn annoying related to this issue.”
 

Taehee’s eyes widened, “What did you just say?”
 

Junghyuk felt a weird courage boost in his veins. He felt powerful, brave, full of confidence and he let these feelings take control even if he knew he was going to regret it. Or not. Yes, he figured he definitely won’t regret it, “You are a dictator, Taehee.”
 

Taehee scoffed, “And you are an ungrateful thing, Junghyuk.”
 

Junghyuk shrugged, “Then I am, it doesn’t concern me.”
 

Taehee furrowed her brows angered, then on a hissing tone she stated, “I can still forgive you.”
 

“But” Junghyuk smiled at her, “I did nothing to be forgiven for.”
 

Taehee’s eyes became wider in anger then the next moment Junghyuk felt a terrible, painful sensation on his cheek, his head almost making a 360° turn.

The imprint of Taehee’s palm became immediately red and it remained there for the whole weekend, reminding Junghyuk to never again date a woman of her kind.

 

It was Monday now, their first time meeting sine then and she kept glaring at him. Junghyuk was sure she kept cursing at him in her brain as well and knowing Taehee’s dictionary, it must be terribly ugly.

That guy on her side, too, he was probably for show, to make Junghyuk crawl back to her and beg for her pardon.
 

Except, Junghyuk really could not care less.

And this was a weird freedom, but not an unpleasant one.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

A/N:

It's been 200 years and here I am, coming up with a shamefully short chapter.
Well, whatever, there is always tomorrow with more things to write. I just really liked the ending sentences and had no heart to add more to be honest.
Anyway, at least an update. Even if it's short. And I got rid of Taehee. More or less. Well, we will see.
Hopefully next chapter won't take 5000 years, meh, I just decided not to care about the amount of response so at least I won't put this on hiatus again.
This, CLTCL, Logic of Emotions and HTSAM becomes my main projects (for 2017 lol).

Hope you are satisfied, I actually understand if you are not, I mean this really is a shamefully short chapter.
well. take care. happy holidays. pray for 2016 to end quickly.