fin.

sticky

For Jimin, it’s not at all like in the movies.  There isn’t some mean girl or jock trying to pursue his dorky best friend because they have an irrational vendetta against a wallflower.  It doesn’t take some grand gesture or important event for him to realize his feelings.  It’s not like Taehyung told him in confidence that he’s in love with such and such person and sudden jealously flared up in his chest.  It’s none of those things.

Falling in love with his best friend isn’t some sudden “Eureka!” moment where all of the signs and off-putting feelings make sense and the stars align.  Jimin hasn’t been hiding behind excuses and half-lies to push away thoughts about his best friend that are more than platonic.  Jimin didn’t see Taehyung for the first time and clutch at his heart because it was love at first sight.

No, for Jimin, the realization that he liked Taehyung as more than a friend is a quiet one.  It’s not startling or life-changing. It doesn’t steal the air from his lungs, nor does it make his knees weak from the shock or potential fantasies.

The thin, white, paper stick of a cream lollipop is nestled between Taehyung’s lips.  They are Taehyung’s latest obsession; recently, it’s nearly impossible to find him without one in his mouth or tucked in his pocket, which is now filled with wrinkled wrappers from the many others that he’s eaten.  Somewhere in the back of his mind, Jimin wonders if the constant consumption of ers is negatively affecting Taehyung’s dental health.  He supposes that one of them should be worried about cavities; and after doing the math, it almost always works out as Jimin’s responsibility.  Taehyung was always the child that ate himself sick after Halloween, and Jimin was the one who shared his candy with Taehyung in the days following even after Taehyung’s gluttonous display and disregard for his own health.

They’re watching a movie.  Jimin doesn’t even know its name, and if he’s being frank, it’s not all that interesting.  Taehyung and Jimin are just exchanging commentary on the poor acting, unrealistic situations, and CGI that is so many years behind the curve that it makes them cringe. It’s a calm exchange of giggles over the sound of excessive explosions and seemingly immortal protagonists.

Taehyung is lying on his side, resting his head in Jimin’s lap.  Jimin is running his fingers through Taehyung’s rough hair; years of dyeing his hair have done damage to Taehyung’s hair, making its texture coarse as his fingers slide against his hair.  Their position takes only comfort into account, disregarding what it might imply to the outside world because the moment only involves the two of them. 

Taehyung pulls his er out of his mouth, shifting onto his back to look Jimin in the eye, “Hold this.”

Jimin moves his hand to accept Taehyung’s candy, but Taehyung pushes the saliva-covered candy past Jimin’s lips.   Taehyung gracelessly rolls off of Jimin’s lap (and the couch) and walks off toward the bathroom after he’s managed to get back onto his feet.

Jimin looks at the television, as fake blood spurts from a wound that is nowhere near an artery.  The lollipop is pleasant, tucked behind his teeth as he runs his tongue along the round, creamy, strawberry candy.  His mind is on other things, like the ridiculous notions of indirect kisses.  His lips are sticky from the way that Taehyung put the lollipop in his mouth.

The thought that this is the current flavor of Taehyung’s tongue runs across mind, blazing a trail in its path.  It unlocks a series of thoughts regarding Taehyung.  Jimin pauses as he realizes that he would very much like to taste Taehyung’s mouth and lips and tongue.  It causes him to blink rapidly because it might be inconvenient to want to taste Taehyung.

Taehyung returns, resuming his position in Jimin’s lap and taking the lollipop back; a string of spit clings to the candy from Jimin’s mouth until it’s stretched too thin and falls away.  Taehyung sticks the lollipop back into his mouth with a smile, adjusting his head to resumes watching the movie.

Jimin the wet sugar off of his lips, curious as to how it would work his and Taehyung’s lips were sticky as they tried to exchange kisses.  He ignores the way that his heartbeat picks up in speed.  Taehyung giggles against Jimin’s legs, laughing dumbly at another poorly done CG effect.

 

 

 

It’s different once Jimin realizes the way that he feels about Taehyung.  His laugh is more beautiful, and his smiles seem to shine brighter.  Jimin thinks that it’s interesting how feelings can affect the way that he sees things. He doesn’t assume that Taehyung feels anything toward him; that would just be wishful thinking to the point of naiveté.

Jimin doesn’t know when he became so practical.  It’s easier to ignore the warmth that spreads through him if he pretends to be removed from the situation.  For all of the indifference that he feigns, his heart is in his chest, boxed up but still bleeding.  Every flirtatious comment that’s aimed away from Jimin equates to a small jab at his heart.  Jimin bears it with a half-hearted smile.

 

 

 

Jimin never really has cause to stare at Taehyung’s lips.  While they often run through his mind, any ogling must be kept close to the chest for fear of Taehyung noticing.  Any fantasies are built off of stolen glances from the corner of his eye.  Liking his best friend makes his life ten kinds of complicated.

Jimin frowns as he looks at himself in the mirror.  He wants to sigh in frustration because he should’ve known that Jungkook would lead him astray.  He lets out a strangled groan as he drops his brush, letting it clatter against the counter of his bathroom.

“What was that?” Taehyung asks, glancing up from his phone.

“This mustache makes me think of Hitler.”  Jimin whines, looking away from his mirror to glare at his best friend who’s sitting on the toilet in his costume of choice.

“Well, Charlie Chaplin’s classic look just so happens to overlap with one of the world’s worst people. It happens sometimes.”  Taehyung brushes it off rather quickly, “People will know who you’re aiming for.  You’ve got the hat.”

Jimin sighs, crossing his arms to look himself as he takes a step back.  His eyeliner is minimal, and it’s a step closer to his goal.  Technically speaking, he’s finished the make-up of becoming Charlie Chaplin.  He applied a white foundation that is absurdly pale; it really just reminds him of the fact that all of Charlie Chaplin’s photos are black and white.  He looks so lifeless.

“If you’re done throwing yourself a pity party, please put on my face.” Taehyung pushes all of Jimin’s make-up and supplies aside in order to clear a space for himself on the counter of the bathroom sink..

He’s already wearing his costume.  His latest obsession with Batman’s enemy, the Joker, has dictated this year’s costume choice.  Aside from the constant repetition of the phrase “why so serious?” in any situation ever, Taehyung has spent a disproportionate amount of time watching Batman movies lately.  It even resulted in a small fanboy squabble between Taehyung and Jungkook.  They practically yelled their arguments over each other.  Jungkook argued about how Iron Man was the much cooler billionaire superhero, a point that Taehyung counter-argued profusely.  Hoseok was the saving grace, pointing out that since they exist in separate universes that they weren’t in contention.

Jimin sighs, ignoring the close proximity and its affect on his heart rate. Given the way Taehyung hasn’t changed at all, Jimin has had a lot of practice reining his feelings in. Taehyung manages to silence himself while Jimin does his make up.  He’s exceptionally well behaved, which really should have clued Jimin in on something.

Jimin finishes Taehyung’s smoky eyes after applying the same pale foundation onto Taehyung’s face.  He doesn’t do it as thickly because he still has to paint the trademark “smile” onto Taehyung’s face.

Jimin takes out the lip paint, carefully searching for the best brush with which to apply the make-up.  He draws the outline carefully, but his thoughts are entirely focused on Taehyung’s lips.  Jimin traces the outline of his lips, giving him more than enough time to memorize their curves for future reference.

Jimin begins to fill in the outline, starting with Taehyung’s lips.  “So Namjoon asked me out.”

Jimin’s initial reaction is rooted in annoyance that Taehyung chose to speak.  The content of Taehyung’s sentence throws Jimin for a loop.  For a brief second, jealousy consumes his entire being.  Jimin regains control of himself very quickly before deciding what to say.  “And?”

Taehyung takes a small breath, “I told him that I like someone else.”

“You like someone and you didn’t tell me?” Jimin reacts as if it’s a matter of friendly betrayal, not that his heart is dying.  He doesn’t even have the courage to look Taehyung in the eye.  He doesn’t want to see the over-the-moon face that Taehyung will have when he blathers on about his crush.  It’s unlike Taehyung to keep secrets, but Jimin attributes it to his unwillingness to see Taehyung like anyone but himself.

He hears Taehyung click his tongue before he feels the sharp pain of Taehyung flicking his forehead.

Jimin clutches his head as a look of pain spasms across his face, “What was that—“ He begins to whine.

He’s promptly cut off by the pressure of Taehyung pressing his lips against his own.  Jimin doesn’t even register the fact that their teeth clack together because Taehyung kissed him while he was speaking.  (That never happens in movies.)

Taehyung pulls away from Jimin’s frozen body, “You’re rather dense.”

Jimin scoffs, breaking his state of shock, “I thought that Namjoon liked Seokjin.”  He belatedly remembers that Namjoon recently fell in like (love is a strong word) with a coworker.  (It should be noted that Namjoon literally fell at first sight because Yoongi really likes taking advantage of Namjoon’s absence of luck.)

“He still does.” Taehyung sighs, “I just needed an excuse to kiss you.”

“You could have asked.”  Jimin replies quietly.

“Fine.  Would you like to ruin the lipstick that you’ve been meticulously painting on my person and kiss me repeatedly?”  Taehyung is already smiling and leaning forward.

“Very much so.”

“Cool.” Taehyung breathes before he swoops in for another kiss.  It goes much better than their first kiss.

Lipstick gets everywhere.

 

 

a/n: it feels halloween-y and slightly based on halloween costumes from 2014, but they're just going to a costume party.

it's up to you what to do from here, but if you could help me out and comment that'd be cool.