Just Because

Memories

Word count: 1110

 

Jessica likes to sit alone in her office with her ipod on shuffle as she thinks of new designs for her brand. She feels more tired and more lonely now compared to back then. 

 

Back in those days when she had 8 other girls she could call her sisters. Now she has only one left, her biological sister Jung Soojung.

 

***

 

Jessica spins the pen between her fingers once, twice, three times with a fourth spin for good measure. She glances at a photo that are more than 8 years old. Back before they debuted, when their places in the group was not yet secured. When 9 young hearts united and beat as one. 

 

Jessica sighs to herself, the loneliness overcoming her again. Her shoulders feeling extra heavy. The office feeling bigger and more spacious than usual. Jessica reaches for a drawer in her desk she hasn't dared touch since her members betrayed her. Since she was voted out and left by herself.

 

She takes a moment to collect herself before she opens the drawer. Her eyes watering at the sight. Skietches of shirts and dresses she planned to design just for her 8 loyal friends. Ideas Jessica almost burned in her drunken sorrow. 

 

Jessica takes out the papers and puts them on her desk. scanning each design and scribble carefully. The memories returning to her. The memories she had tried so hard to desperately supress, because how else could she go on. If those memories haunted her. 

 

The lonely CEO feels a smile starting to form on her lips as the conversation she had with Tiffany regarding a special blouse Jessica promised to make replayed in her head.

 

***

 

Tiffany demanded it to be pink of course. Stylish but not too' modern nor old school. Jessica had thought long and hard on how to satisfy this peculiar woman but she finally found the solution. A soft silk like material in black with lots of colorful flowers in different shades of pink. 

 

Then there was this time when Jessica promised to make Hyoyeon a pair of comfortable shoes that didn't look like Hyoyeon's other tasteless shoes. Jessica had instantly thought of a classier take on the famous sneaker. A pair that would breathe but still keep the feet warm. Something that would be comfortable to dance in yet look proper enough for a high-class photo shoot. 

 

***

 

Jessica laughed to herself. Her heart growing warm at the memories. How could she possibly forget about all their good memories and everything they been through. What they meant to one another. The lonely CEO spreads out the papers on her desk and shines her desk lamp on the sketches. Taking in the sight of her love and trust for the 8 women. Family they whete lika a family. Between the warmth from the memories the sharp ice of betrayal stabbed and froze  the woman's heart over again.

Jessica's eyes landed on a sketch with a messy pea-in-a-pod drawn in the upper right corner. Taeyeon... Jessica's heart ached but she still decided to think back to the time she had mattered.

 

***

 

Taeyeon had once asked Jessica for a hoodie that would be comfy but wouldn't look like Taeyeon drowned in it. Jessica had grumbled for a while before the idea struck her. Thick varm material like a jacket but softer with special measurements so it would look slim fitted. A big comfy, furry hood just to their pea-in-a-pod like leader's preference 

 

***

 

Jessica moved on, putting aside the sketch of Taeyeon's hoodie in the pile on top of Tiffany's blouse and Hyoyeon's shoes. Her eyes, this time settled for a piece that stood out. More than the others.

 

***

 

Yuri, Jessica's Seobang had simply asked for a Jessica-brand of varm finger gloves. Grey fleece on the outside and soft hoodie like material on the inside Jessica's sketch described and Jessica almost forgot how warm Yuri's embrace was . 

 

***

 

Jessica wasn't sure if she felt more happy or sad. But she felt a strange warmth in her chest. And the paper Jessica picked up to have a closer look upon didn't seem to make it stop.

 

***

 

Sooyoung and Yoona didn't ask for anything in particular but Jessica had designed them each a summer dress matching their personalities and body types. Colorful yet classy. 

 

***

 

Jessica felt almost out of breath. As if she had ran a marathon or been chased by wolves. She could feel goosebumps on her arms and a shiver down her spine. The memories was tormenting her like Jessica predicted but not in the way she expected. It was a strange feeling of longing and comfort. Like walking for miles but never reaching your destination. It wasn't sadness that was killing her. It was the happiness and the comfort the cherished memories gave and it haunted her.

 

***

 

Then there was Seohyun, Jessica's precious Seo Juhyun. She had tried to find a dress-shirt with a high and sturdy collarr. A piece stylish and clean yet unique.Jessica had created one that had fake diamonds and some steel to refine it. Maybe even a piece of leather on the edge of the pocket or something.

 

***

 

Despite all sketches and notes being messy they were detailed. Each member's specific measurement written for the required piece. Tears rolled down the CEO's cheeks. It had gone almost a year since she was abandoned and yet she found herself comforted by the warmth those who gave her the cold. She decided to put some final touches before she produced one copy of each garment and then burned the sketches.

 

***

 

On the one year anniversary of Jessica's withdrawal from Girl's Generation, 8 packets was delivered to 8 girls while the fans got sale on the online B&E store "Just because".

The netizens and fans thought that Jessica was throwing shade but it was quite the opposite. This was Jessica's last and final tribute to those she once called family. This was her farewell and last bow.

 

On the label on each clothing the surprised Girl's Generation members recived it was written "Just because, I love you" The shocked and almost frantic members had all tried to reach the only person who could have possibly done this, only to head straight to voice mail. Jessica wasn't picking up, she would never pick up. Not for them.

"I'll cherish our memories and never forget our shared dream, thank you"  Jessica had written a little note to each girl addressed to their full and formal names. With her signature, she gave out to fans.

By seeing that they knew that Jessica wasn't Girls Generation Jessica anymore,  she wasn't their sister and groupmate any longer.

 

She was now Blanc & Eclair's CEO Jessica Jung.

÷