C-One

Dark Times

 

 

Music blasted from the speakers in the ceiling, echoing off the walls and bouncing around the crowded room, the beat persistent and intoxicating. MinJun didn't fight it. Welcome it instead, instinct taking over as he pushed all thoughts aside, his movements fluid and smooth. Strobe lights flashed on and off over the dance floor, giving the illusion that a few seconds were skip in between heartbeats. He let himself fall prey to it all, feeling it. Enjoying it.

There was someone dancing beside him, a warm body pressing in to his, soft and delicate in nature and his body turned to face her, a hand sliding down her arms, her waist, finally resting on her hips, pressing her closer. She smelled of alcohol and a sickeningly sweet perfume and she wanted more. Was ready for whatever he could possibly ask of her that night. He could tell by the way she pressed closer, head thrown back resting gently on his shoulders, her hair tickling the skin of his neck. Half lidded eyes looking up at him. Pleading. Inviting. Her entire body pressing harder against him with every move, every sway of her hips.

 Perhaps any other night he would had taken her up on the offer. But tonight He wasn't drunk enough. Not needy enough to overlook what his body truly desire and just settle for what was given.

It took a second to get away. A change in the beat. A shuffle of the crowd, and MinJun was moving away from the heat of the crowd.  Away from the warm and supple body that was offered to him, and towards the bar. Spotting an empty spot, he placed himself next to a group of college kids currently engaged in some sort of drinking contests. Chugging cheap tequila at a ridiculously fast pace.

He watched them for a while, the corner of his lips twisting into a smirk as one of the boys, a short stalky one with black hair, finally gave up. Body bended forward as the tequila came back with a vengeance. Not one of them seem to care though, all focus on sheering the other idiot, a tall lanky boy with pink hair, as he swallowed what MinJun had counted as his 7th shot. He raised his hands in triumph as the other boys’ cheer for him.

MinJun turned away from them, trying to remember a time when his body was able to ignore the bitter after taste of Patron, and to the bartender, a short girl with bluish green hair that was now in front of him.

“What can I get you handsome?” The pixie girl said to him, her short blue hair bouncing off her shoulders, a smile on her pink plumped lips. He smiled back, placing his order and turning away from her and back to the crowd as he waited. It didn’t take long, and he placed a few bills on the counter taking the drink and walking away from the bar, away from the dance floor, and towards a set of stairs in the back of the club.

He took his time climbing up, passing a couple that seem surgically attached to each other, hands running wild over one another, and completely oblivious to MinJun’s presence or anyone else's for the matter. It was always like this. This places he often found himself in. Places where the alcohol was cheap, and the air thick with nicotine and lust. Where the occasional pill was passed between young and naïve kids that wanted nothing but a good time. A night that they would probably not remember.

At the top of the stairs he stepped into a different environment then that one of the first floor. Up here the music was loud, but not overwhelming. Voices could be heard, loud murmurs and unrestrained laughter. The pace here was slower. Time was wasted over a pool table and aged whiskey.  

On the far left of the room, leaning casually over a table and stacking the balls inside a triangle, he spotted the person responsible for dragging him out this particular night. Wooyoung looked his way for a second, and MinJun noticed that predatory look in his eyes as he waved him over. His smirk resembling a wild cat ready to pounce on his unsuspecting pray. MinJun turned his attention to the poor bastards that were surely about to get hustle by the little fox, and wondered if they had the slightest idea of what they were getting into.

“You want in?” Wooyoung asked. Standing up straight and walking towards the wall, his eyes swiftly running over the row of cues neatly stacked up along it. Finally deciding on a medium size one and balancing it between his fingers. Looking at him like that, his hair cut short on the sides and strike with blue in the front, wearing a lose fitted racerback tank over light watch Levis and a pair of bright color high tops, MinJun thought he could pass as just another college kid.

But he knew better then to be fool by the glamour.

"I think I'll just sit this one down.” He said, walking towards the stools lined against the wall and taking a seat. The jack honey he had been sipping on almost gone. He was not in the mood for a game, not one he was sure wouldn't last long. He was beginning to lose interest, the night growing dull and the cigarette smoke lingering in the air making him dizzy, light headed. Part of him wanted to go back down stairs. To the loud music and the sweet intoxicating feel of the liquor running through his blood streams, and any other night he would've given in to the urge.

On this particular night though, he found his gaze drifting to a pair occupying a table not far from where he was. One in particular caught his attention and MinJun found his eyes focus on the tall, muscular build, and the goofy smirk that curve the corner of his lips every so often. He was a strange occurrence in a place like this. Dressed in dark grey business slacks, and a white pinstriped shirt that he rolled up to his elbows, the top two buttons undone, giving a peak of a tan, and toned chest. Their eyes met for a split second and MinJun couldn't help the smile that curve his lips as the guy quickly dropped his gaze.

In hindsight, he should've known right there and then that it was trouble he was about to walk into. He should've known nothing good could come out of where his mind was taking him, but at that moment, at that split second that his eyes found those dark brown ones for a second time, filled with curiosity and something else MinJun couldn't quite put his finger on, he just couldn't find it in him to walk away.

 

Taecyeon knew a bad idea when he saw one, and deep down he knew this one would soon shape up to be the epitome of them all.

coming out to this hole of a place had seem like an interesting thought at the time. Letting the kids out on their own, young and prompt to stupidity as they were, was not an option, and allowing Chansung to convince him to chaperone hadn't been as hard as it should've been.

He regretted that as soon as he saw the place, the dress shirt and slacks he had been waring for the meeting he had to attend earlier making him stand out like a sort tomb amongst the crowd of want to be hipsters. He made a point of avoiding places like this. Clubs were the music was two octaves too loud and the liquor cheap an accessible with a badly crafted fake ID.

He stepped through the threshold, against his better judgment, and almost instantly he felt the air around him grow heavy with the mixture of cigarette smoke and water vapor from hookah pipes. It was dizzying, and relaxing all at the same time.

He could try and tell the boys he was in charge of to behave. Not drink too much. To not do anything stupid. They had a lot going on and a screw up wasn't something they could afford, but he had but to look at them to know it would be useless.

Bambam was already charging forward, his bright pink hair the only visible thing from where Taecyeon stood as he and Jackson disappear into the crowd. Next to him Mark chuckled, silently scouting the place before he Jinyoung and Jaebum followed the other two, an empty promise to keep the other two rascals in check.

“Let them have some fun” Chansung said. Reading his thoughts and tugging him by the arm, away from the younger crowd, towards a set of stairs in the back of the room.

He knew Chansung had a point. That the point of the night was to let the kids’ get some fresh air. Forget about the crap they've had no choice but to deal with on a day to day basics. To allow them to be young and care free, if only for a night. He allowed Chansung to guide him away from the crowd and the girls walking around with colorful drinks expertly balance on a tray above their heads. The music becoming less and less piercing and more enjoyable the further up the stairs they got.

 Taecyeon instantly relaxed at the sight of the pool tables and the flat screen TVs tuned to different sports channels. It was a worlds difference from the ambience downstairs, and he could feel himself relax, his eyes drifting to the cues lined up against a wall, and his fingers aching to grab hold of one of them. It had been a while since he had gotten a chance to schooled Chansung in a proper game.

“Ready to get your handed to you?” Chansung taunted, not bothering to wait for an answer as he headed towards the bar. Taecyeon picked a table closest to the balcony that overlooked the first floor, hoping to keep an eye on the kids. He spotted them by the bar, drinking themselves stupid he supposed. Looking at it all from up here it was a lot easier to take in.  easier to see the appeal. His eyes drifted over the crowd, each one of them just like the other. Looking to have a good time. Not a care in the world.

Taecyeon leaned closer, crossing his arms and resting them on the railing. Behind him the sound of shuffling balls rolling over the clothed surface of the table demanded his attention, and he almost gave in, almost answered to Chansung’s call of his name, but then his eyes found him.

He didn’t want to get caught staring, yet he couldn’t really help himself. Like many other things in Taecyeon’s life he had no choice in the matter.

There was something about him, something about the way he moved, eyes half close, his body swaying naturally along with the music. He wasn’t the best of dancer, he didn’t try to stand out or call attention to himself, but there was just something there that was hard to resist. Something Taecyeon knew he need it to stay the hell away from.

A loud sigh passed Taecyeon’s lips as Chansung moved to stand next to him, bumping his shoulders playfully as his keen eyes searched the crowd. Taecyeon didn’t need to ask to know Chansung’s eyes had found their target. He could tell by the way Chansung’ eyes narrowed, his lips puckering in that way they did when he was too entrance to bother using his hands or words to point something out. Taecyeon couldn't blame him.

“What do you think?” He questioned, and Taecyeon allow himself another look. The guy was no longer dancing alone. There was a girl with him now, short dress and long wavy hair falling in ringlets over her shoulder. Taecyeon couldn’t help but notice the lack of interest, the way he lured her in closer, but never truly let her have him. It was a matter of minutes before a change in the music serve as his way out.

“I think he’s trouble.” The good kind of trouble. He kept that second thought to himself, allowing one last look at the man before pushing off the railing and moving towards the table. Chansung followed, his dark brown eyes shining in a way Taecyeon knew too well.

At the time he didn't think much of it. It was just a night out. A chance to unwind and let go of some of the stress weighing him down. Perhaps he should've seen the signs. The way his eyes linger a moment longer than usual. Or how, a shot of bourbon and four beers later his hand slip on the cue, screwing up what could've been the shot that secure his victory against a no longer so confident Chansung. But been unable to help it, or be properly piss at the situation as he caught glance of the man entering the room.

“Uh I got you now.” Chansung taunted but Taecyeon couldn't bring himself to care.

Trouble. He repeated to himself. Taecyeon’s eyes following as he joined a boy younger the him on the opposite side of the room. Dark brown eyes found Taecyeon's. The corner of his thin lips turning up into a smirk and stirring something strong and familiar in Taecyeon’s chest.

"Trouble" He repeated. Out loud this time, getting a puzzled look from Chansung which he ignored. He turned his attention back to the game, analyzing the best way to send the 8 ball into that corner pocket. He ignored the feeling of been watched, of been analyzed, lining the cue just right on the table, his left hand serving as an anchor while his right elbow came slyly up. Just a bit of pressure, a soft tap, and the cue ball when spinning, hitting its target dead on, the 8 ball bouncing off the opposite corner and sinking cleanly on its target.

He stood up, enjoying the look on Chansung's face as he grumbled and admitted his defeat, but not wasting time as he gathered the balls for a rematch.

"That was nice shot."

It wasn't Chansung that praised him yet he somehow knew who the voiced belonged to instantly. It was strange yet so familiar, and Taecyeon swallowed, composing himself before he turned around, his gaze colliding head on with a pair of deep, dark, brown eyes.

Eyes that he knew all too well.