Cold Cases From 2010 [Hiatus]
 
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER THREE: On the Line

March 12, 2015  
9:07 AM

The blazing sunlight invaded Soohyun’s eyelids the moment the window blinds were lifted. The lad tried to seek shade with his eyes shut as he hid his face in the couch’s armrest. The sound of footsteps came closed to him and halted for a moment. Then he felt a hand on his covered shoulder. “Soohyun, hey Soohyun,” a voice called out to him. The handsome man with a small face gave his waker no attention as he continued to lay soundlessly. “Soohyun, I found him,” the voice came again. This time around Soohyun opened his eyes immediately, ignoring the sun’s rays that were burning his brown pupils. As he sat up, the lad before him straighten his back to break from his bending posed.

“Where is he?” Soohyun asked, as if he hadn’t been sleeping at all. His eyes were wide open, his messy hair looked like his casual hair, and there were no signs of drowsiness in his throat. The younger man in front of him pointed out toward the direction of the window.

“The fish supplies shop down town,” before the young adult could finish, Soohyun stood up at a quick pace and head toward the door. “Soohyun? Wait for me, you’ll lose him if you go to the wrong shop!” The youth said as he hurried after the taller and older male.

On another crazy day, Soohyun and the young male got out of the taxi as they stood in front of a fishing supply store. As the younger send off the cab and paid for their ride, Soohyun had his hands on his hips as he scanned the small shop. Inside he could see how crowded it was, how the shelves were lined up against the brown walls and how a single shelf stood in the center of the room between the front counter and other shelf.

“Soohyun, let me go in first then—”

Soohyun was quick to stop his partner with a ‘no’. “Stay here and block the door. If he tries to flee then you get him out here.” Though his companion wanted to argue the idea, he quickly comply as Soohyun wasn’t going to stand in place any longer to listen to him. Soohyun took his first step toward the door before pushing it open.

Luckily for him the store was empty as it was still early.

“Welcome—” the male employee at the counter froze as he noticed Soohyun. His smile was killed by the appearance of the detective. “You?”

Soohyun walked over with a handsome smile on his face, “Mr. Jeon Yonggong, how are you?”

The man in his late twenties turned toward the doorway just to see Soohyun’s young partner, with an amused smile as he wave to the worker. The man took a step back and eyed Soohyun, noticing how the man was already at his front counter. “What do you want?” The man straightened his back and wore a blank expression, hoping to hide and prevent his fears of what the detective may do from seeping.

Soohyun placed his hands on the counter and leaned inward an inch, “Where’s your brother?” Soohyun whispered over.

“I-I don’t know—”

“Don’t lie to me or I don’t know what I may do to you.” Soohyun said without blinking. The man coward a little with a frown on his face.

“I really d-don’t know,”

Soohyun sound a sigh before cocking his head to the side, “You’re asking for it,” he said, causing the worker to lock eyes with him.

“W-what?”

Without a sign Soohyun reached out and punched the man on the face, pushing him against the wall behind him with a heavy groan. “You dirty bastard!” Soohyun hollered before climbing the counter, wanting to throw another punch at the cashier, but his partner was quick enough to make his way in and wrapped his arms around Soohyun’s shoulders to stop him from succeeding.

“Soohyun stop!”

“Let go of me! I’m going to teach this bastard a lesson! How dare he lie to me?!” Soohyun shouted as he tried to climb over once more.

His shorter and weaker partner tried his best to confined Soohyun from laying another finger on the worker, who was on the ground. “Soohyun please stop! We didn’t bring an arrest warrant so please stop!”

“Yook Sungjae release me!” Soohyun cried. His team member, now identified as Sungjae, dropped himself into a sitting position in order to pull Soohyun down with him.

“Soohyun!”

In the afternoon, a group of six men, one woman, and an elderly man was in a room alone as they watched a short footage. Playing on the television was the fishing store’s CCTV of that morning. In the film, they could see how Soohyun made the first move and strike the man behind the register. Tension was built up in the room as the footage proceeded until the elderly shut it off. “Team Leader Han Chaeyoung, what is the meaning of this?” The grey haired man questioned in a raspy voice. The lady that was seated among the group of men bowed had no words as she hung her head.

In the police station, Soohyun was seated beside the man Jeon Yonggong. A visible black bruised was marked on the man’s face from where Soohyun had attacked him. “Detective Kim, why did you barge in and attack a man without an arrest warrant?” One of the three officers across from the table asked.

Soohyun who was seated in between the lad, Yonggong and his partner Sungjae looked up to meet the sharp gazes. “Arrest? Who? Who said I was going to arrest him?” Soohyun asked innocently and rather calmly.

“Then did you go there just to harass him?” one of the men asked again. Before Soohyun could interfere the clicking of heels could be heard approaching. Everyone stopped and looked over to the entrance, where they noticed a familiar face on the spot. There, an early 30 year old pretty woman with large s, long black hair in a ponytail, and clear skin stood alone. She was covered in a formal suit that made both running and looking professional work.

“Team Leader Han!” A man announced. Soohyun locked eyes with the woman once he noticed her gaze were glued on him.

“T-team leader,” Sungjae jumped out of his seat, not knowing how to act. The lady folded her arms over her chest and took a few steps forward. All persons in the room stood to greet her with bows. She scanned the room of men with eyes on her, noticing how they were admiring her beauty. But she was not one to be flattered.

“Get back to work all of you,” she said, thus the once stilled room was now messy with movements and chattering. She then looked across to the police officers, “on my behalf please send this man home. I’ll take Detective Kim for now.”

“Team Leader Han, unfortunately I can’t let you take Detective Kim, you see he attack this man without a warrant and—”

“I’m aware of that and I’ve already spoken to the Head Chief. Detective Kim will be severely punished for his actions and Jeon Yonggong’s damages will be compensated for.” Chaeyoung explained.

“Y-yes Team Leader,” the officer said after giving in. To the side, Sungjae eyed Soohyun’s reaction, knowing the lad would be annoyed that Yonggong was released and even covered for. He wasn’t wrong when Soohyun’s wore a tight expression, with his eyes wandering, and his top and bottom teeth tightly sealed together.

Soohyun was standing beside Sungjae when Chaeyoung slapped him across the face. After receiving the staining slap, Soohyun could only look at the ground as he awaited Chaeyoung’s storming lecture. “What were you thinking going into a store and beating the owner with an active badge?! Shouldn’t you know better as a detective of two years?!”

Sungjae stood still as he wondered if Soohyun was alright. To him, Soohyun was like a rebellious older brother. “Answer me! Do you think you’ll be able to find your sister if you keep this up?! You’ll lose your badge and be suspended you idiot!” She shouted. It was Soohyun’s first time holding eye contact after they have left the police station.

“I will protect my badge even if I go crazy trying to find my sister!” Soohyun countered just as loud. Chaeyoung’s eased up on her furrowed brow.

“Then explain why you hit Jeon Yonggong first. It was all caught on the CCTV in his store, Soohyun.” Chaeyoung said.

Soohyun straighten his back and kept his eyes locked on hers, “I,” Soohyun began with confidence then decided to take it down a notch, “I didn’t mean to throw the first punch…. It’s just, when I saw his face…. I was reminded of his older brother who took my sister away.” Soohyun then hung his head once more, “Please be lenient and let this one slide.”

Chaeyoung heft a heavy sigh as she whispered to him, “I know you’re tired but you’re becoming too impatient. Impatience will get you kill before you can find your sister, so don’t act recklessly or your badge will really be on the line. Do you understand?”

Soohyun didn’t answer but Chaeyoung knew the answer. No matter how many times she had warned him of staying professional, Soohyun was a hot headed lad. Hence he would always act on his own without thinking of the consequences, and if one has come so far with those attitude, it was difficult to change them with only a few words and punishment. Soohyun wasn’t afraid of being punished, he was afraid of being stripped from any authority to find his sister. It took him five years to learned that one needs power in order to accomplish anything against another authority.

The ringing of Chaeyoung’s handphone became the only sound in the room for a slight moment. Upon answering, Chaeyoung left the room to take the call outside. As she walked out, Sungjae broke from his stance and spun toward Soohyun, grabbing ahold of the taller man’s arm. “Soohyun, are you okay?”

“I’m alright,” Soohyun said as he glanced toward the door. Sungjae let out an annoyed sigh.

“That’s good, but you surprised me when you punch that guy. Is he related to your sister’s case?” Sungjae asked, shamelessly. Soohyun nodded before changing the subject on his partner.

“I’m leaving,”

“Where are you going?” Sungjae questioned with a puzzled expression on his face.

“I’m going to find Yonggong again.”

“Again?” Sungjae asked with an unpleasant tone, “Didn’t you just hear what Team Leader say? If you cause anymore trouble and get caught then you may have your badge get taken away from you.”

“It doesn’t matter. Now that I’ve revealed myself to Yonggong, he’s probably on his way to tell his brother about me. If that sneaky bastard knows that, he may even harm my sister.” Before Soohyun could take another step Sungjae stopped him.

“How do you know he still has your sister? Didn’t you say you lost her five years ago?”

“That’s why I need to meet that bastard and find out where my sister is. If I waste just another day than the chances of my sister and I never being able to meet again may increase. Day by day, she’s probably drifting farther and farther away from me.” There was desperation and sadness in Soohyun’s tone as Sungjae listened intensively. “I know I’m risking my badge and no matter how much I want to protect it, if I don’t meet that man today then I feel like I could lose everything I’ve worked to gain this position.”

“You may have already lost it,” the two men turned toward the door where they noticed Chaeyoung again. Once again her arms folded across her chest as she gave off a strong and intimidating vibe. “I have just received a call that the moment Jeon Yonggong was released, he had taken a trip out of the country. His destination is Austria.”

Soohyun couldn’t believe his ears and inside he could feel his blood boiling. “That bastard.” He cursed under his breath.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
AUTHOR'S NOTE: If the story is moving too fast then do let me know xD I'll be sure to make sure everything's answered later on~