Chapter 42

녹 (Rust)

Tobey was trying to track the two ladies he met last night with Anna. He somehow knew that the two women would somehow related to Anna. He needed to find them first. He wanted to find out more about Anna. He pulled out the photo he had hidden from Anna from his wallet. He stared hard at the photo.

It was a photo of two women – Anna and a mysterious lady. Anna stood behind the other woman with her arms lovingly wrapped around the woman’s torso. They were intimate and their smiles were really wide. Anyone could see that the pair was very much in love and definitely a couple.

His heart was torn and he was jealous at how intimate Anna was with this woman. Anna had some reservations with him. Since their marriage up till now, they haven’t really consummate their marriage. For some reason, Tobey wasn’t too sure if he was up to it and Anna didn’t seem to care much about intimacy between them.

The furthest she went was to hug and kiss him. Other than that, Anna did seem reluctant to do more than what a normal would do. Tobey knew that she subconsciously held back because of this woman in the photo.

But how much did Anna love this woman? What is so special about this woman that Anna is still thinking of her even though she has lost most of her memories? He remembered his mother’s words before they left for Seoul.

“If Anna somehow found out about her past, you have to let her go, Tobey. She isn’t yours in the first place. She has her family but we’re hiding her away from them. When that happens, and if she wishes to return to her family, then you have to let her go.”

Tobey understood that well. He knew he was just in love with Anna’s shell. The real Anna is still hidden behind that closed memories. He knew he was greedy and selfish but he just wanted to love someone. And Anna happened to be the woman he fell in love with.

Nevertheless, Tobey needed to search for Anna’s family. He had to know something about her past somehow.

-

Taeyeon finally reached Seoul after the meeting. Soo Young came along with her. She had officially became Taeyeon’s assistant. The taller woman was pushing the trolley; full of their luggage. Since she has longer legs, she walked a little faster ahead from Taeyeon. The midget was a little annoyed.

“Can you walk slower?”

“Get longer legs then.”

“Stop dissing me about my height!”

Soo Young stuck her tongue out and Taeyeon rolled her eyes. They got into the cab and went back to Taeyeon’s place. Soo Young dropped Taeyeon’s luggage and was about to leave when Taeyeon stopped her.

“Where are you going?”

“Hotel?”

“Why do you need to stay at the hotel when I have an extra room for you?”

“Eh?”

“Stay here. Hotel is expensive. Are you trying to rip off the company’s expenses?”

“But…”

“No buts. Stay here.”

Taeyeon grabbed Soo Young’s hand and closed the door shut behind her.  Soo Young was bewildered.

“Kim Taeyeon, what the hell are you trying to do?”

-

Tiffany was sipping her coffee while waiting for Yuri to come home. Irene was already home but she was hiding in her room for most of the time. Tiffany was a little curious. The girl was definitely hiding something from them. Even Wendy looked suspicious.

She sighed before decided to make some snacks for Yuri and Irene. Jessica was missing too. She hadn’t seen her for the whole day. For some reason, the ladies in the house were busy. All of them were hiding the same truth.

Tiffany grabbed some frozen dumplings from the fridge. She heated up the frying pan with some vegetable oil and then slowly sank in the dumplings into the pan. While she was busy frying, Irene came down with Wendy. Irene was surprised to find Tiffany in the kitchen.

“You’re early!”

“No, I was home since 2pm.”

“Eh?”

Both Wendy and Irene turned to look at each other. They suddenly realized they haven’t eaten lunch yet. Both were so engrossed with the research of this mysterious woman.

“It’s almost 6pm. Have you girls eaten?”

Tiffany knew the girls haven’t eaten yet. She hasn’t seen them since 2pm. Both girls shook their heads and Tiffany sighed. She heated up some rice and fried eggs for the two girls. Irene sat on the dining table and Wendy sat next to her.  They looked on as Tiffany prepared some food for them.

“What are the two of you busy with? Is school work really making you busy?”

Tiffany was curious. Irene and Wendy just stared at each other. Both were unsure if they should share this.

“Irene?”

Tiffany didn’t like their silence. It did seem like both of them were hiding something.

“Did you two fight or something? Wendy? Did you bully Irene?”

“Huh? No! I did not.”

“Then why are you staring at each other like that?”

Wendy nudged Irene on her arm. Irene hit her back. And Tiffany was getting really curious now.

“Ya, both of you. Stop it. What happened?”

“I think you should tell her.”

Wendy got a smack instead.

“Irene, what are you doing? Why do you keep hitting Wendy? Are you hiding something from me?”

Tiffany’s voice was stern and firm. Irene knew that tone. Tiffany was expecting answers and she did not have much choice.

“Mommy Fany, we discovered something.”

“Something? Discovered what thing?”

Irene took a deep breath before pulling out the photo of Anna and the man. She put it on the dining table. Tiffany was stunned when she saw that photo. She picked it up immediately.

“Where did you get this from?”

Irene told her everything from the time they saw Anna and whatever they have been doing in silent. Tiffany listened to her attentively and was alarmed to find the man in that photo was the same man she and Yuri met with Anna.

“This woman’s name is Anna, right?”

Irene and Wendy were stunned.

“How did you know?”

“We met this woman yesterday. I spotted her first when I was having dinner with your mother but I didn’t tell her anything. So me and your Mummy Yuri went to investigate. And we were lucky when we spotted her at the same restaurant I went with your mother and this man was with her too.”

“Doesn’t she look like Yoona Omma?”

“She does but she introduced herself as this man’s wife. And she’s from Europe.”

“She has no surname. Her name is just Anna. Anna Maguire.  Maguire is her husband’s surname. But she doesn’t have a surname at all. And it is a little weird to me because she’s clearly Asian. Asians have surnames whether they are Chinese, Japanese or Korean. Don’t you think so, Mommy Fany?”

“So are you trying to say that this is Yoona Omma?”

Wendy then pulled out their research work. All the newspaper articles about the crash were pulled out from the folder.

“We find it interesting and a little suspicious. The crash – everyone was accounted for except for Aunty Yoona. It was just weird that only her seat was missing. They couldn’t find any trace of her. Irene had this feeling that she was probably found by someone and she lost her memories or something. I mean it is possible and probably this man found her.”

“But the crash was on the news everywhere. I’m sure he should know.”

“Maybe he does. Maybe he doesn’t. I mean Europe is so wide but it is possible that they might not be aware of the news. And probably this woman doesn’t remember anything at all.”

Tiffany was intrigued. She was amazed at how Irene could derived to this. She already knew Irene was smart but she didn’t realize that Irene could be a first class detective with Wendy.

“How smart can you get?”

“Huh?”

“Why didn’t you share it with us?”

“I just wanted to make sure that we’re getting somewhere before we share this with you.”

“But now we know that this woman – we all have met her once at least. Maybe we should start to investigate.”

Irene nodded and Wendy was visibly excited.  She went berserk and ran around the house; pulling Irene along and twirling her around.

“Yes! We can be like Hardy Boys!”

“Baby, stop it. Stop jumping like that!”

“Wendy ah, I’m getting dizzy! Stop running around the house like that!”

Madness ensued.

-

Taeyeon misses her daughter so much. So after she dumped her luggage, she decided to visit Irene at Tiffany’s house. Soo Young came along with her.

“Yuri will kill me.”

“Good, she should.”

“Aish, you’re not helping at all, Midget.”

“Shut up.”

They arrived and met Yuri along the way. Yuri jumped on Soo Young almost immediately. The taller woman almost fell.

“YA!”

“I MISS YOU!”

“Oh my god, stop it! You’re not really light, you know?!”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes; she couldn’t believe how childish Yuri could get despite being in her 40s. But she was too late to escape. Yuri was eyeing her.

“DON’T COME NEAR!”

“KIM TAEYEONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!”

Yuri jumped onto the midget. The midget fell pulling Yuri along with her.

“KWON YURI! GET UP!”

Soo Young pulled both women up and Yuri was grinning widely. She was gesturing to Soo Young. The woman smacked her hard.

“Stop being a kkab.”

“Finally, all of us are like together now.”

“Are you really glad to see us again?”

Yuri nodded. Since Yoona’s death, Yuri had always wanted her loved ones and friends to be close to her. Soo Young and Taeyeon included in that list.

“I cannot afford to lose anyone of you. I have lost Yoona.”

The two women nodded and sighed. Taeyeon’s heart started to feel guilty but Yuri was quick to appease her.

“It’s not your fault that she died. It was never your fault. None of us blamed you for her death.”

“But Jessica’s heart is hurting so badly.”

Yuri pulled Taeyeon closer and hugged the midget. Soo Young just looked on; her heart was aching a little to know that Taeyeon still cares a lot about Jessica.

“You know Jessica has never blamed you for anything.”

“But I wish I could bring Yoona back.”

“You still love Jessica, don’t you?”

Taeyeon smiled sadly.

“I’ve let her go, Yuri ah. Now I’m a free woman.”

Yuri then grinned and turned to wink at Soo Young. The taller woman wanted to strangle Kwon Yuri really badly.

-

“TAEYEON OMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!”

Irene was really happy to see her mother again. She ran towards her mother and hugged the older woman tightly. The pair shared a close relationship ever since they reconciled. Taeyeon gave her all and everything to her daughter.

Suddenly she saw a familiar person standing behind her mother. Irene’s mouth was wide open and tears fell almost immediately. She has been searching for this woman for the longest time.

“PROFESSOR!!!!”

“Irene ah..”

She let her mother go and ran towards Soo Young. The older woman hugged the younger girl tightly. Soo Young had always seen Irene as her daughter since she found Irene is Taeyeon’s daughter.

“Hello Irene.”

“Where have you been?!”

“Singapore.”

“Really? Why did you leave us?!”

“I just wanted to have a new life somewhere.”

“I thought you killed yourself!”

“Wae?”

“You were heartbroken, right?”

Yuri, Tiffany, Wendy and Taeyeon were watching them. Soo Young closed her eyes. How could she forget that Irene found out about her inner feelings for Taeyeon?

“No, I’m not. I just wanted to find something new.”

Irene then turned to look at her mother. Then she turned back to Soo Young.

“How did Omma find you?”

“She’s my translator in Singapore.”

“Ah. This is really fated then.”

Irene gave a sly smile at Soo Young. Yuri and Tiffany finally knew that Irene actually knew Soo Young’s feelings. The three of them was smiling cunningly at Soo Young. Soo Young rolled her eyes at them.

-

Jessica had a shock of her life. She felt a slight tap on her back and turned to find a familiar face that made her heart ached and excited at the same time. She was standing face to face with Anna.

Anna was panting; trying hard to breathe properly. She ran quite a distance to catch up with Jessica. When she finally got her; Anna felt like dying.

Jessica was still staring at her; her eyes were wide open earlier on like as though she was stunned to find Anna in front of her. And Anna had noticed that too.

“I’m sorry. Give me a second.”

“Sure, take your time. Maybe you want to sit somewhere to calm down.”

Anna agreed. Both of them walked towards a shelter and sat on the bench. Anna sat opposite of Jessica. For some reason, Anna found it comfortable being close to Jessica. It took her awhile before silence ensued between them.

Jessica was looking away while Anna focused hard on Jessica. No matter how she felt; it was just so surreal and familiar. It seemed like she has seen Jessica before. She then remembered the photo she took from the restaurant yesterday. She took it out from her back pocket and placed it on the table.

Jessica glanced down and saw the photo of them together. She picked it up slowly and then turned to look at Anna. She swallowed hard – she wasn’t too sure if this woman was indeed Yoona.

“Where did you take this photo from?”

“I was at restaurant when I saw this photo. This woman looked like me. And this lady looked like you.”

“Why did you take it?”

“I’m not sure. There is a certain degree of familiarity and I was attached to it the moment I laid my eyes on the photo. But I couldn’t find the answer I’ve been searching for. There is just too much familiarity around me ever since I got here.”

“Where are you from then?”

“I came from Europe. I’m on honeymoon with my husband.”

Jessica her breath in really hard. That sentence hit her really bad. If this woman is indeed Yoona, then Yoona has broken her promise. She said she wouldn’t leave Jessica.

“I’m Anna.”

“Anna?”

“Yes, Anna. Anna Maguire.”

Anna stretched her palm out to Jessica. Jessica glanced down and saw Anna’s fingers. Those fingers were familiar. Nevertheless Jessica put her hand out and gripped Anna’s palm tightly. The warmth was too familiar. With this touch, Jessica knew that this woman was not Anna, she’s Yoona.

But Jessica kept her silence.

While Jessica got her confirmation; Anna found it weird that her heart refused to let go of Jessica’s hand. Her warmth was welcoming and Anna was comforted by Jessica’s touch. That sense of familiarity returned to her heart once again.

And she focused hard on Jessica.

Both were staring at each other; Jessica’s eyes watered and Anna felt sad when she saw Jessica’s tears fell from the corner of her eyes. She couldn’t understand why she felt so much heartache to see Jessica’s tears.

Who was this woman?

How is she related to her?

Somehow Anna raised her free hand and wiped Jessica’s tears away. She shook her head as though she was urging Jessica not to cry. Then she had the strongest urge to pull Jessica closer. And so she did; she gently reeled Jessica closer to her and rested Jessica’s head on her chest. The other woman gently wrapped her arms around Anna’s waist.

Anna wasn’t startled. It felt right. And she pulled Jessica closer into her embrace before she whispered softly in Jessica’s ears.

“I don’t know what I’m doing and I don’t know why this feels so right. I’m sorry but just let me hold you like this until this aching pain in my heart subsides.”

“Of course you can. You don’t have to say anything. Just let me be in your arms awhile longer.”

It was so sad yet so confusing. But Anna still refused to let go.

“Who are you? My heart feels so much inside for you.”

Anna was sharing her thoughts to herself.

-

“Hang on. You mean Yoona is alive?”

Taeyeon’s eyes grew larger. Soo Young was equally surprised.

“Are you sure about this?”

Soo Young was a little apprehensive.

“We’re not too sure but somehow these girls and my theory seem to match.”

Tiffany was explaining the whole saga. Yuri was thinking of something. She still found the man to be a little weird and she definitely didn’t like the way he looked at them the last time.

“You know something, let’s hide this from Jessica first. Soo Young, you can get help to verify certain things, right?”

“Yeah, I know some people in Europe. Maybe I can get some newspapers during that period when the crash happened.”

Taeyeon nodded and then she decided to help Jessica with this.

“I’ll find out about this Tobey person.”

“Me too. I have been trying to find more about him.”

Yuri was already doing her own research. The two girls wanted to help too and Taeyeon left them with a job too.

“The two of you try to befriend this Anna.”

“Oh?”

“Just pretend to be some surveyors and try to get close to Anna. Tiffany, you can help the girls too. If this woman is really Yoona, then we should take her back. It’s time for her to reunite with Jessica.”

The ladies agreed fully with Taeyeon.

-

Anna was walking back to the hotel. Her heart was aching for no reason. She was a little upset when Jessica pulled herself away and left. She wanted to hold her longer but Anna couldn’t find the reason why.

But she couldn’t forget Jessica’s tears.

What the hell.

Anna was cursing herself in her head.

-

Jessica was wrapping her arms around herself. She wanted to hang on to Yoona but she knew this wasn’t the right time. This Yoona was not her. This Yoona was Anna and she was married to someone else. Technically speaking, this Yoona didn’t belong to her anymore.

Jessica sobbed quietly against Anna’s chest. Her heart was broken but the comfort she was feeling from this warm hug made her felt greedy. She wanted this woman to herself but when she noticed the diamond ring on Anna’s finger; she knew she had to let go for now.

She pulled away from Anna and wiped her tears away. She hardened her heart and put on a poker face. She raised her head and put on the biggest smile she ever had since Yoona’s demise.

“Thank you. This is good enough.”

She was about to walk away but Anna stopped her.

“When can I see you again?”

“You’re going back to Europe soon, right?”

Anna was dumbstuck. She has totally forgotten about Tobey.  She looked down; guilt enveloped her quickly.

“If time relents, we can meet again. If not, this might be our last time.”

Jessica then turned away without waiting for Anna’s reply. She walked away with her dejected heart and Anna looked on; her eyes were mellow and full of sadness.

“I’m sorry, Yoona. I’ll get you back but not for now. I need to find ways to get you back this time.”

-