Chapter Seventeen

Like Cars in the City
Please log in to read the full chapter

{ chapter seventeen }

‘wrong’

Lee family spent their Thursday night in a banquet amidst the life threats around them.

“Jin Hee, my heart is beating so fast I think I’m going to have a heart attack. Can we just not go and do this?” Soo Yeon told the young lady beside her as they sat in front of vanity mirrors and makeup artists beautified their faces. The worry was visibly etched on her face and the artist reminded her to relax her face so the makeup won’t be ruined.

Jin Hee’s hair was set into a big bun, curled strands of hair covering her temples and jaw. The artist was now doing her make up, “Auntie, relax, okay? We’ll be alright. Everything will go well, trust me. Besides, the bastards have to pay. Pay for the lives they took back then and for taking a horrible picture of me without my consent. That looked really terrible…” Jin Hee frowned.

Soo Yeon sighed, “Why are Eric’s offspring so brave? I’m the only coward one in this family!” she hysterically exclaimed, making Jin Hee laugh, “When you arrived here, I honestly thought that I’ll finally have someone with me while Eric and our sons do dangerous things. Turns out, you’re just like them.”

Jin Hee smiled, “Auntie, I’m scared too and I know they are too, but we’re just not showing it, because if they see it, they’ll have the upper hand. We have to show them we’re not afraid of them.”

“I’m not afraid of them, Jin Hee, I’m just worried for you!”

“Don’t worry about me, auntie. I got this.”

I totally got this. Sons of es are going to jail tonight.

Walking down the stairs wearing heels, champagne colored cocktail tube dress was difficult and she tried very hard not to trip and make herself a laughing stock by just rolling down the stairs. Stepping down on a flat marbled floor was an achievement and she even closed her eyes and pumped her fist in relief, making her dad and her brother Chan Yeol laugh. Her eyes flew to Se Hun and she nodded at him, and he subtly nodded back, which was a first. He had a neutral look, not the usual already aggravated look that he always wore since she came.

The men had worn three-piece suits and they all looked handsome. Chan Yeol’s height and gray suit gave him more charm than he already has, and Se Hun was rocking his white suit that had black for its hems.

The family first prayed together, before going outside to go to their designated cars. The couple and the younglings took separate cars and headed off with convoy around them. Jin Hee sat between her two brothers who were quiet, but unlike the last time, Se Hun wasn’t bothered with their touching arms.

“You know,” Jin Hee spoke up, making her brothers’ ears perk up, “the last time we did this seating arrangement, something real bad happened. Grandma’s house, remember?” she chuckled, “And you guys heard of the saying that it’s always the one in between who’ll most likely end up to be dead.”

“Shut up,” Se Hun exclaimed before even Chan Yeol could, “you’re noisy.” But he failed at being scary or grouchy.

“I’d seriously ruin your hair, but I don’t want you to look like more of an idiot than you already are in front of your friend later,” Chan Yeol scowled and huffed.

“Friend?”

“Jong In’s going to be there together with his family.”

Jin Hee’s heart now pounded with worry. What if they are all there? It was tolerable for her to worry about herself and her family, if her friends are also at the banquet, then she’s ed.

“Only Jong In? How about everyone?” she asked with a worried frown.

Chan Yeol shook his head in her relief, “Nah, only the dancer.”

The plan was to arrive at the venue and enter safely, stay there for two hours, and then get out in the open which was the real deal. They are going to make their selves as bait, and when shots are fired, that’s when they find cover—cars were purposely scattered in front of the hall—and let the special weapons and tactics team handle the situation. The perimeter around the hall and the hall itself are heavily guarded, from the inside and outside, and while the plan is ongoing, Soo Yeon is left inside the hall to pray for their lives.

It was one hell of a plan, but it was the only way to get it done faster. Laying out a better, safer plan would take days, but Eric insisted to throw them behind the bars faster. It had also the consent of his sons and daughter. It was a renegade act, risking your family like that, but it does run in the blood; the courage, bravery to do something that bold, to that extent that you’d lay yourself on the line for the greater good.

Because if they’re not doing this right now, who else would?

The Lees arrived on time with their own cars, following with black shiny cars that also carried men in black. They got out of the car, heads held up high, then they walked towards the brightly lit venue, the adults leading the way while the youngsters trailed after them with equal supremacy.

There was a long table from afar that offered different types of dishes from different cuisines. Chandeliers shone and hang from the ceiling, and there were nearly fifty clothed round tables with flowers in the middle, some of them occupied. There was a little elevated platform and faint music was playing in the background. The hall was pooled with ladies in elegant dresses and jewelries and men in their suits. It was a room full of important, rich people; businessman and women, and politicians, talking and laughing with each other, and for Jin Hee, it was quite easy to identify which ones were true and not.

Jin Hee was introduced to some of Chan Yeol’s friends, and if the world isn’t small enough, she was also introduced to Lu Han who was wearing a rather dashing maroon suit.

“We meet again, Ms. Lee.” Lu Han slyly grinned as he kissed her right cheek.

It was, apparently, a simple greeting.

“Hi, Lu Han. You know my brother?” She looked at Chan Yeol then back at Lu Han.

Chan Yeol nodded, “We know each other. Also, he and Se Hun used to play soccer together back then.”

“How?”

“I’m actually from Whimoon.” Lu Han politely butted in.

After a few minutes, she left the little circle since 1) she was starting to lose the conversation 2) she needed to find Jong In.

Jin Hee smiled at random people she didn’t know, but she thought it’s a common courtesy to just smile at them when you’re in an event like this, also so she wouldn’t look rude. After all, she was walking aimlessly, still in search for that tanned boy with brown hair.

She looked at the entrance, no sight of him. But when she turned around, she was greeted by a familiar posture, physique and face. The goofy smiling face of Kim Jong In made her smile too. They hugged.

“Good thing Chan Yeol told me you’re here! I was about to die with their soccer topic back at their little circle.” She rolled her eyes.

“I didn’t know you’re here! You look beautiful tonight, by the way.” He complimented with a sincere smile.

Jin Hee couldn’t help but to blush at his comment. She looked at his all black suit and nodded, “You don’t look bad yourself too, mister. Thank you.”

“Hey, uh…” Jong In looked around uneasily before speaking in a low voice, “are the things sorted out? I mean, judging from your appearance here, I assume everything’s alright.”

She lightly shook her head, “No. Not yet.” she mysterio

Please log in to read the full chapter