Strawberry Tarts

The Three
 
 

 

Outside of the castle walls there was freedom. The burning scent of candles and fire smoke gave way to fresh, clean air, and the pressure of court life and its greedy attendants was eased by open, rolling fields, and the last of the summer wild flowers.

 

The pair, alike in ways, and different in others stood on one of the hills farthest from the castle. The sun bathed them in light and the fragrant, earthy smell of dirt permeated the air around them. A circle of targets made up of varying sizes and distances apart surrounded them. Moving targets would come later, but for now, the commander just wanted the woman next to her to get a feel for the bow.

 

Wendy's boots dug into the pungent soil, her eyes focused on a particular spot she'd been having trouble with all day. It was making her angry, her light spirit fading into annoyance.  Her brain bubbled over with facts and numbers—the need to know exact measurements was all-consuming—but it didn't matter, she was still unable to hit her target with an arrow. Her concentration waned and was replaced by distaste. Shadows formed in the stone planes of her face and her fingers tensed. After an eternity of thought she unleashed the arrow. She prayed that the time spent trying to calculate the arrow's trajectory was worth it.

 

She felt the tension spring it forward. The wind whipped and the arrow whizzed forth from the bow string, until—at the last moment—it curved and missed the intended target by a foot. Yet another miss. Wendy's eyebrows furrowed in frustration and she sighed at her inability to hit the centers of the marks that had been set out for her. She'd known this would be difficult but they didn't have endless time and she needed this information to seep in faster.

 

Seulgi smiled at the cute, angry face Wendy was making, "You're getting better, we have only been at this for a few hours."

 

"Yes," Wendy agreed, "But this is too important. I am not missing by mere inches, but by feet. What if I were to need to shoot someone or thing from the back of Sage? My aim is terrible. I will not be ready."

 

 

"Mmm," Seulgi hummed, she rubbed her fingers on her chin as though she were in deep thought, "That would be a most difficult shot, especially if you were on the move,"

She grinned at Wendy and found the face of stone once more.

 

Wendy spoke with sorrow on the tip of her tongue, "I know you often joke and I'm sure at some other time I would be receptive of it. It shows your fondness for me that you would be so light-hearted, but it is not appreciated right now. I need to learn this quickly but I fear my learning is now only contained to books. Am I physically incompetent for this task?"

 

The smile disappeared from Seulgi's face, "I do not mean to mock you."

 

"I know that, I do not take it that way."

 

Seulgi breathed a sigh of relief and stepped closer to Wendy, "Your body is fit, your muscles well-defined. You just need to memorize these movements like you would a parchment filled with text."

 

"Yes, but how?" Wendy wondered.

 

"Practice is the only way. You must practice until the bow becomes part of your body."

 

"Practice appears to be my bitterest rival," Wendy said.

 

"It feels that way now, but it is also your closest friend," Seulgi said gently.

 

"I believe that is your title," Wendy disagreed, "You are my closest friend."

 

Seulgi smiled.

 

"Still," Wendy said, "The time is not enough for what I must learn and conquer."

 

"That is true, but what you have done so far is excellent, your natural ability is what you should lean on. I know the bow is your weapon, will you trust me on this? Much skill can be had if you just remain calm. The bow will do as you ask. Ask it."

 

"I wish I could bend it to my will faster, you know I aim for perfection. It is making me angry."

 

"Perfection is not attainable in this, you must relax. Getting angry proves very little when you are in combat. It tenses you up, it clouds your mind. You think too much and the pressure builds until you get nervous. I do not want you nervous or angry in battle."

 

 

"Were you not angry?" Wendy asked, "That you were fighting a war you did not approve of?"

 

"Yes, but I learned to remain cool, especially with a sword in hand.The anger can spew forth later when you are alone or with me in my chambers. As for the bow, when you use it in battle, you must think of silence, must concentrate only on your breaths. Between the breaths. That is important. If you are angry, your shot will be wild."

 

 

Wendy sighed, "That is most difficult for me. To think of silence."

 

"And I love that your life is so lively. It's vibrant and beautiful, but to do well in combat you must find a cool spot fir your mind to relax. A place in crisp water, a winter morning. Awash yourself in grey light, see that the sun is covered in clouds. Think of nothing but your breath and the bow. Often you are a summer's day, warm and red-cheeked. Become someone else for me. It is selfish that I ask you to hide away your brilliant colors, but once we are gone and faced with peril, choose to be cool. In the moment you must not let your feelings take over. I do not wish to see you changed or unfeeling, I just want to see you back here again at the castle and in my chambers. I want to tell you stories and I want to hear yours too. When we are back in your room or mine, you can show me the firelight blooming in your chest and the bright, burnt cluster of stars that are your eyes."

 

 

Wendy blushed, "When did you become a poet?"

 

 

"When I wished to be close to you again. Now let me help you," Seulgi stepped behind Wendy and helped her guide the bow up and to the target, she spoke softly, "You have not taken into account today's wind and your hands and arms seem too tense whilst holding the bow. I know it is difficult but relax as much as you can when you pull it back, feel the wind's direction, and aim with that in mind. Breathe. Between breaths, release the arrow."

 

"Okay." Wendy stepped into her stance and remembered the basics that Seulgi had just taught her, she breathed in, out, in, relaxed, felt the wind, aimed, and let go of the arrow. This time the arrow stayed truer and only missed by a few inches.

 

"Much better," Seulgi said, "The wind was definitely the problem."

 

"Yes, I believe it was," Wendy agreed with a smile, "It often pushes us and makes us go where we do not wish to go. It makes us uncomfortable. I calculated the distance but not the wind and she laughed in my face."

 

"There's my scholarly advice for the day," Seulgi said with a roll of her eyes and a smile.

 

Wendy chuckled, "Yes and there's more where that came from."

 

"Can't wait," Seulgi said, "Let us take a break and get something to eat. You have done good work." She put her hand out so that Wendy would take it.

 

"Alright," Wendy said, she put the bow down and the quiver of arrows and took Seulgi's hand.

 

 

 

 

-----

 

 

 

 

Under a shade tree they sat together and feasted upon cheeses, sliced apples, and a strawberry tart that Seulgi had specially requested from the castle kitchen.

 

Wendy's eyes lit up when she saw Seulgi unwrap the fresh tarts, "Those are my favorite!"

 

"I know," Seulgi replied, "I asked the cook to make them for you."

 

"You remembered?"

 

Seulgi nodded, "Of course I did."

 

"That's really sweet," Wendy whispered.

 

"A sweet treat for a sweet woman. I remember the sweet girl too, she really loved these but the princess always asked for blueberry bread and I knew you didn't like it."

 

"It wasn't my favorite. I'm not a fanatic for blueberries, but—"

 

"—You went with it to appease the princess, now Queen. Well now you can enjoy your favorites just as she did. I'll make sure of it. I want to help take care of you."

 

"And I you," Wendy said, "I trust you."

 

"I feel the same with you. Go ahead," Seulgi held out the wrapped box of tarts and watched Wendy pick one out.

 

Wendy took a small bite and her eyes lit up again, "It's so good."

 

"I'm glad you're pleased, Seulgi said,  "So very glad."

 

After the meal, they returned to work and soon a guard from the castle joined them.

 

"Seulgi?" He asked.

 

"Yes?"

 

"The Queen has asked to see you. She asks for your presence in her chambers."

 

"Did she say for what?" Seulgi asked.

 

"No, not a word."

 

Seulgi looked to Wendy and then back to the man, "Tell her I will be there soon, I must finish with Wendy first."

 

"Yes, ma'am." He left and ventured back down the hill to the castle.

 

"If you wish to leave now," Wendy said, "I will continue alone."

 

"No, Seulgi grimaced, "Never alone, she can wait."

 

They continued with the practice until the sun was threatening to set.

 

 

 

 

-----

 

 

 

 

 

"Do you promise to remain calm from now on? You are much better now than this afternoon." Seulgi held Wendy's hand again as they made their way back to the castle.

 

"Yes," Wendy agreed, "I promise that perfection is not my goal now, just proficiency."

 

"Good, I will go meet with the queen and join you later. I am sorry we must part like this"

 

Wend smiled, "it's quite alright I'll be in the library."

 

Seulgi nodded as they reached the castle doors, "See you soon."

 

"Until then, commander," Wendy whispered and away she went to the library.

 

 

 

 

-----

 

 

 

 

 

After leaving Wendy, Seulgi found herself walking to Irene's chambers. She had been summoned by the queen herself. Their relationship was still rocky but she knew the mission was more important and nothing would be able to stop them working together.

 

When she finally strolled into the queen's room, the candle smoke and incense was thick in the air, it choked her lungs and made her wheeze. This was a far cry from her afternoon outside with Wendy in the soft breeze.

 

She stepped around the corner if the hall in the queen's chambers, and saw Irene kneeling before her bed. Her crown was atop her head, it shimmered in the candlelight. Seulgi heard whispers and knew that Irene must be praying.

 

"Irene?" Seulgi interrupted.

 

Irene's body jerked and appeared to come alive again. Her eyes opened and focused on Seulgi.

 

"What were you doing?" Seulgi asked.

 

"Offering thanks and prayers up to whomever will listen," Irene said with a frustrating sigh. She took the crown off and threw it on the bed. She rolled and cracked her neck then stood, "I called you here to tell you that we must leave sooner than expected."

 

"Really?"

 

Irene explained, "I have been advised that it would be best to leave earlier and use the travel time to our advantage."

 

"Are you sure that that's wise?" Seulgi asked, "We must be fully prepared before we venture out."

 

"I think it is our best option," Irene said, "it will take us three days to arrive at the cave. That is when our mission will really start. We will have plenty of provisions, don't worry."

 

Seulgi was wary but agreed, "Alright, we will abide by your plan," Seulgi coughed as she inhaled the perfumed fumes of the incense.

 

She does not like the incense "Sorry," the Queen said, "I know the smoke is intense. They sent it to relax me but I am as tense as ever."

 

"It's fine, but I will take my leave. I must make a list of weapons and items we will need for our trip. Get some rest and maybe open a window for fresh air."

 

Irene nodded with a smile, "Let Wendy know of the plan, I have a meeting to attend or I would call her here and tell her myself. And I'll definitely open the window, the fumes are noxious now."

 

Seulgi nodded, "I will let her know right now."

 

Seulgi turned and left the queen. The smoke stuck to the material of her tunic and followed her until she was back outside and could breathe again.

 

 

 

 

 

-----

 

 

 

 

Seulgi found Wendy in the library—as she had said—putting up books that had been placed astray from their homes during the day. Wendy reached up with one particularly thick, red book and winced.

 

"Let me help you with that," Seulgi said as she rushed over. Wendy handed the heavy book over and let Seulgi reach to the high shelf, "Are you hurting?"

 

"Aye, a bit, I'll be fine after some tea and a rest," Wendy replied.

 

"May we speak in private?"

 

"Sure," Wendy said, "Follow me." Wendy led Seulgi to the back of the library. She unlocked an ancient looking door that led to a hallway Seulgi had never seen before. At the end of the hallway was another door and a set of stairs. They took the stairs and at the top of them, Seulgi could feel a draft of air. When Wendy opened the last door, they both stepped out into a tiny world. Around them were flowers, trees, open sky, and the beginning of the sunset.

 

"What is this place?" Seulgi asked.

 

"My hideaway," Wendy answered, "I made this place from nothing."

 

"Is it the old turret? The one that the catapult destroyed at the summer games that year?"

 

"Yes," Wendy said, "I found it long ago and worked on it bit by bit. The trees had already grown around it but everything else I planted and worked on."

 

"Well, it's gorgeous," Seulgi answered.

 

"So, we are alone again, what do you need to tell me?"

 

"We will be leaving for the mission sooner than previously thought."

 

Wendy began to panic.

 

"Don't upset yourself," Seulgi reassured, "I'll be with you every step of the way. Let's sitva moment and talk," Seulgi led Wendy to a small seating area, "What has you bothered?"

 

"I just thought we'd have more time," Wendy replied.

 

"I know but as I said, I will be by your side!"

 

"Did she change the plan herself?" Wendy asked, "The Queen?"

 

"She said she was advised."

 

Wendy's eyes rolled, "Oh a tale she's spun before."

 

"That is true. I know we must be wary, but the mission us real. We know that."

 

"Yes," Wendy said, "We do."

 

"We will put as much faith as we can in her, she had apologized and given her heart a chance to heal. We still have each other."

 

"Yes," Wendy repeated, "We do."

 

"Let us enjoy the evening together in this secret place and plot ways for the cook to make more strawberry tarts."

 

"Yes, this hideaway will be ours now," Wendy took Seulgi's hand and kissed it, "Thank you for calming me."

 

"Always," Seulgi said.

 

Wendy took a deep breath if air and spoke, "Do you smell incense?"

 

Seulgi laughed and told her the story of what had happened in Irene's chambers.

 

 

 

 

-----

 

 

 

Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!