Good Old St. Nick

In So Deep

Time was coming down to the wire…what was he going to do? Junhong had made this whole thing on how he wanted more responsibility and extra work to prove that he was a capable member of the team. Which he was granted with thanks to the group leader, Bang Yongguk, but now that it was time for the party, he was stuck in a lurch with very little to go forward with. Yongguk was a leader who expected a lot out of the people who worked below him, at the same time he also gave them the respect they deserved which made him one of the more popular group leaders. Everyone who worked under his tutelage flourished and branched out to become bigger and better, and that’s all Junhong wanted to do.

 

He looked up to the other man for as long as he could remember. As he came in for his orientation the first day of work, he was awestricken by the man who carried a presence with him. From that day on Junhong worked to emulate that man, follow him in the company and try to be inducted into group he mentored. All of that happened before the tall young man could even blink. Here he was standing in the office next to his boss, pacing behind his desk, worrying his bottom lip between his teeth.

 

The holiday was upon them, the festive celebration was the talk of the whole floor. It was the one time of year they could let their hair down so to speak and have some fun. There was also the rumor that Yongguk would crack his gummy smile that people talked about quite often. With his normal stoic expression, when his face lit up with that infamous smile, it was a sight to see. This year it was up to the young office worker to put together this said party. No pressure right? Almost everything had already fallen into place. The food was coming in a few hours, the decorations adorned the walls with the added twinkle from the lights, presents lined up nicely below the tree…just one thing was missing. The jolly red guy who was the main attraction was not coming.

 

Earlier in the day everything was set to go until he got the call from the temp agency he hired the Santa said that they had accidently overbooked, meaning there would be no St. Nick at the party. His face fell as did his stomach…you can’t have a Christmas party without him. Junhong scrambled to find anyone that would help him out and dress up because he’d get at least the costume for them to wear. He’d wear it himself but he was too tall and a bit gangly. Every last avenue was exhausted but to no avail, no one could help him out. So many people were going to be disappointed…Yongguk was going to be disappointed.

 

With a heavy sigh he slouched down in his chair after sitting down, a frustrated groan escaping past his lips.

 

“Now what’s got you in such a state Junhong-ssi?” A deep voice resonated behind him that made his back straighten up immediately and turn towards it.

 

A neatly dressed Yongguk stood in the doorway between the hallways and his office entrance with a curious expression.

 

“What?” The young man squeaked out before clearing his throat and trying again to speak. “What do you mean Sir?” Much better…it was his normal voice wasn’t it?

 

“Such a heavy sigh for someone who should be a bit more cheerful today,” Yongguk had said with a slight teasing tone in his voice. “Is there something troubling you?”

 

“No…not at all Sir,” he lied quickly with a quiver in his voice to which he cursed.

 

A refined brow was raised in the others direction, not believing a word the younger male said. Not having anything other than his gut feeling that was telling him he should pry a little deeper, he pushed it aside. It was time to give the man the benefit of the doubt and trust he had things under control. “I will see you later at the party then. Don’t work too hard until then,” he nodded his head and his heel to walk away.

 

Junhong waited until he could no longer see Yonnguk before his forehead met the coolness of his desk while a groan rumbled in his throat. “I’m screwed…I’m beyond screwed…,” he mumbled with a defeated sigh. The bag next to his desk that held the rented costume shined like a beacon of looming failure. It taunted him and made him grunt as he bounced his forehead on the desk a few times. “Screwed…screwed…ow,” he sat up and rubbed the tender spot with his fingers as a pout formed across his lips. A chuckle sounded from the doorway which made Junhong’s head snap up to see a too amused face of one of his co-workers, Himchan.

 

“Why so glum, chum?” The man said as he walked in and sat on the corner of the desk, picking up the stapler as it was the closest thing, and playing with it before putting it back down. “You look like hell man.”

 

“Thanks hyung,” Junhong mumbled as he continued to rub at his sore forehead. “You know you could be a little bit more help to me. I’m desperate, please, please, pleeeeease can you just dress up for an hour? It’ doesn’t even have to be a whole hour. Just make an appearance say ho ho ho and you’re done.” Desperate didn’t even start to describe how Junhong begged his superior to help him out. “You want me to cover this all up with a too huge for me red tacky suit?” he scoffed before grinning with a bit of a mischievous smile. “Sorry Charlie but it’s not happening. I do hope you find someone but…it’s not going to be me. Have you already tried asking…” Before he could even finish the sentence Junhong defeatedly nodded. Himchan felt for the boy, he was kind of screwed with no way out and he wanted to help out but…playing Santa wasn’t his thing. “Don’t worry yourself too much. People are going to be two sheets to the wind anyways that you could dress up a chair with the red suit and it would pass. Relax a bit, okay?” Giving off another sigh and nodding while trying to not pout some more, Junhong wordlessly answered.

 

Time flew by no matter how much Junhong wished it would slow it down or stand still. He nervously chewed on his thumb as he hid in his darkened office. The workers had all started to file into the decorated area, happily chattering as the champagne started to flow freely. It was a total turn around from just an hour previously as the day hadn’t come to an end for them. Music echoed against the wall with their light hearted soulful notes as people began to move and sway to the beat. The laughter made its way through the door Junhong was hiding behind. He wanted to be enjoying the party he planned to much for but the weight and guilt. He could hear the whispers in the office the next day how that’s the man who ruined the party. Why did they give someone so young all the responsibility to plan it? What was Yongguk thinking? The group leader was losing his touch and it was all Junhong’s fault…

 

The echoes of the taunting played over and over again in his head, his body slumping further down the wall with each breath he took. It seemed each word was a weight and it all just complied to make him sink to the floor. It took him a second, or rather more than that, to realize that there was a clamoring outside his door. People were cheering and laughing joyously before there was a booming sound that was all too familiar.

 

Was that…no that wasn’t a ho ho ho…that couldn’t be…?

 

He scrambled to stand up and open his door quickly only to see the sight that made his jaw fall to the floor. Right in the middle of the room stood the plump rotund man in a bright red suit. He may have been a little on the thin side but he managed to make every single person in the room not notice with his jolly demeanor. Behind the white beard the set of warm brown eyes twinkled with mirth, his hands cupping at his jiggling belly. Those eyes…they drew Junhong out of his office to join in the festivities. People clapping at his back and telling him what a amazing job he had done with the planning. Soon he found himself standing in front of mysterious Santa. What was so familiar about those eyes…

 

A refined eyebrow was raised in the boys direction after a few moments of him staring at the man. It was then that it hit him. A long finger was brought up to the beard covered lips in the international symbol of keeping quiet that made Junhong clamp his lips shut.

 

How did…when did…so many questions filtered through his mind trying to figure out how he found out?

 

Not a single person in the whole office had any clue that the one and only Bang Yongguk was the jolly fat-ish man that was bringing them the festive feeling for the night. Carrying around a red velvet sack cinched with a large white rope, Santa began to pass out meticulously wrapped gifts to the deserving crew. They had worked so hard throughout the year to bring the company an affluent year in profits. Wanting to pass along the good fortune, without anyone knowing, Yongguk started to divvy up the bonus he received and gave back. It was yet another sign of how giving the stoic man was. Maybe that was why as Junhong stood to the side, he had to cover up his entertained smile behind his hand, his own eyes twinkling with a secretive sparkle.

 

Finally as Santa made his way around, he stood in front of the one to whom this whole party was capable of being enjoyed.

 

“Hello Santa,” Junhong greeted the man with a slight crooked grin.

 

“My, my hello dearest Junhong,” the booming voice turned lighter with amusement. “I must say you’ve out done yourself with this lovely party,” he complimented the other. Now whether it was “Santa” that was saying it or it was Yongguk himself, the compliment gave the warm glow of a blush to creep up on to the younger man’s cheeks. “I wouldn’t have been able to do it if you haven’t showed up si-…Santa,” he stopped himself from revealing that he knew. It was a bit fun to keep up the rouse, both knowing the truth but keeping it in the dark. Their own little secret.

 

“Tis the season, isn’t it?” The deep base of a voice gave a chuckle…and did his eyes actually twinkle too? Blinking a few times figuring he was seeing things, Junhong just smiled. “You are right Santa. You saved me…I do owe you at least a thank you of gratitude,” he said a bit shyly.

“Don’t be silly, you owe me nothing. Except maybe…keeping   this between us,” St. Nick said with a mumble of his own and a hint of a smile. “It doesn’t need to be broadcasted to certain ears which will never let me live it down.”

 

Both men looked over to where Himchan stood with his arm loosely draped over someone shoulder, the red hue to his cheeks showed he was in a few glasses of wine deep. Not only being one of Junhong’s superiors, he happened to be one of Yongguk’s best friends. He could trust him like his right hand man, second in command. If he happened to find out that it was his friend in the suit…the teasing, taunting and blackmailing would last an eternity.

 

“Your secret is safe with me,” the younger male held out his pinky in the international sign of making a pinky promise. Childish maybe, but he didn’t care. Amused by the gesture, Yongguk hooked his finger around Junhong’s and shook the two hands together.

 

“Yo big man!”

 

The groan could be heard as Himchan came up to drape his arm around the jolly man’s shoulders. “You know…you have to help a man out? Can you be my wing man? My stick in the mud buddy never showed and I kind of have my eye on this cute little thing that is from two floors above us,” Himchan managed to not slur his words even if he swayed while speaking.

 

“Hyung…I think I just saw Yongguk-ssi take the elevator down to the main floor. He was…trying to sneak away,” Junhong quickly lied when he saw the blanched face behind the beard cringe. Eyes that spoke volumes silently thanked the younger male.

 

“Trying to sneak away on me will he.” Successfully the attention span of Himchan was directed away to going on the wild goose chose to track down the elusive Yongguk.

 

“You didn’t have to do that,” the relieved man whispered quietly.

 

“I know I didn’t, but we both know that once Himchan hyung has his mind set on a girl, he’s not giving up until he either get’s a slap to the face or he get’s her number. I doubt that you want to be picking up women in your attire tonight,” Junhong said with a light teasing tone.

 

“Says who?” Yongguk said slightly puffing out his chest. “I can pick up any one at any time, regardless of what I may be wearing,” he boasted with a crooked grin.

 

It was Junhong’s turn to an eyebrow at his superior, wondering where this side came from. He kind of liked it he admitted to himself. It just broke the shell of the man to show he had many more faces then anyone ever thought, especially Junhong. “I’m sure you can Santa. By all means why don’t you go ahead and try?” He said in a teasing but challenging tone. “Let’s see if I can figure out what kind is your type,” he began to tap at his chin. “I’m going to say slender build, maybe long hair but I don’t think it really matters to you either way. Let’s see…quiet like yourself and low key?” he was kind of jealous as this perfect woman started to form inside his head.

 

“You got maybe 3 things right. Not to shabby,” Yongguk sounded impressed as he crossed his arms over his chest. “But let me give you just a slight bit of information. You’re right on the hair, I don’t have a preference either way, and someone who is quiet is nice. But they don’t need to be any certain body shape and I’m the kind of guy that likes who I like,” he said wearing a crooked grin that curled the corners of his lips.

 

As Junhong blinked a few times, Yongguk realized that he wasn’t getting it quite how he had hoped. Giving a shrug of his shoulder he leaned in and softly let his plump lips brush over the younger males. “Now does it make sense?” Yongguk could have busted out laughing as he saw the realization and the flush of red take over Junhong’s whole face and probably his body as well. The meeker young man dipped his chin down to hide his now reddened cheeks. “I…get it,” he mumbled with a small smile.

 

“Good…I wasn’t sure what else I’d have to tell or show you so you’d realize,” the older male chuckled as he proudly looked upon the embarrassed man who had captured his heart.